Print Page | Close Window

Which model is my 1965 Correct Craft?

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20644
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 2:50pm

Topic: Which model is my 1965 Correct Craft?
Posted By: JamesGang
Subject: Which model is my 1965 Correct Craft?
Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:34pm
Hello fellow Correct Craft enthusiasts-
I am a Correct Craft newbie, but trying to educate myself as quickly as possible. I recently purchased a 16' Correct Craft from its original owner! He states it's a ski nautique but how do I know for sure? It has the Ford 289 Intercepter engine. Also, the plexiglass windshield is complete but showing it's age. It's a one piece with aluminum frame. Does Taylor Made still make these for this boat? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll put some pics up here soon. Thanks!

-------------
J.James

Replies:
Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:39pm
Welocme to the site. Your boat is likely a Mustang. Post some pics and we'll know for sure. Taylor does not make that same windshield any longer.

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:41pm
Pictures we love Pictures. Welcome to the site. Is the serial tag still on the stringer or do you know what it is? The first letters will tell you what model it is.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:45pm
Unless you haven't double checked the length and the seller is wrong, it's not a Ski Nautique. They were I believe 17' 6"

Tahoe's were also 16'. Yes, we need pictures!!

Welcome to CCfan.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Pictures we love Pictures.

I wear a size 13 shoe and they have white laces. What kind of shoe am I wearing?

Just giving you a hard time. Get some pictures posted (Hit 'post reply and post the link to your image in the little icon with the tree or click on the icon with the tree and the arrow and upload it)

If it's got the depressed bow then it's a Ski Nautique.

Mustang

Ski Nautique (notice the bow difference)

Barracuda

American Skier

Classic

Sportsman

Tournament Skier

-------------

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 11:08pm
If it is a 65, it probably has a 260 instead of a 289. How far apart are the top bolts on the bell housing?

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: ky82sn
Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:00am
james gang
Welcome to the site. be sure when posting pics to resize them to email status. most pics will not download on this site until you downsize them. i use avs4you.com to downsize my photos.
jerry

-------------
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:15am
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the quick replies. I'm pretty excited about this boat and I'm sure I'm going to ask a lot of questions in the weeks and months to come so I just want to say thanks in advance. Judging from the pics one of you posted, I believe I have an American Skier. Perhaps. I have pics on my phone but got to get them on here so you all can see soon. Engine has 210 hp on it...original owner said it was 289 interceptor. We'll see as I get into it more...infancy stages of what I hope will be an exciting restoration. I contacted Taylor Made and they emailed me windshield sizes and images that look similar to mine...I'll have to research more. What do you do if they don't make my style anymore? Thanks again everyone...please check back as I update this.

-------------
J.James

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:32am
JamesGang , welcome to the site.My wife has a 1964 American Skier, it came w/260 CI Hollman Moody.Cool boat, we love pics. If you look at my profile there is a link to her boat at the bottom.
This may help in the id of your model and year........Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 9:07am
James?,
The Taylor windshields they still make are not the same that came on your boat, They are the smaller and cheaper version. We've had a couple members put them on and they look out of place and non original. If your present plexi isn't crached, platic polish can do wonders and bring it back to original. Try the polish first. If it doesn't, then don't waste you money on a new one. You'll just need to keep searching for a old one in better shape. They do come up for sale on places like ebay.

Fill in your profile with at least your first name. You'll find most here use first names rather than screen names.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 10:34am
I think Sanity has one of those windshields for sale. Look in the for sale section.

-------------

Date Posted: February-17-2011 at 5:56pm
Here are few photos that may help identify her...These photos were taken the day I purchased the boat from the original owner. He swears it's a ski nautique...true? She's a lot cleaner now that she's in my care fyi :) Thanks guys.

-------------
J.James

Posted By: Keeganino
Date Posted: February-17-2011 at 9:08pm
That windshield will clean up pretty good I bet. I have mine completely apart right now and am polishing all the pieces. I tried the plastic polish with some success but found that a buffer worked a lot better. There is a company selling http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160029450364&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT - plastic windshields right now. They say they can make one for any model boat.

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Date Posted: February-17-2011 at 9:09pm
Very cool boat by the way! Cant wait to see some pics of her cleaned up.

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Date Posted: February-17-2011 at 9:12pm
That looks like a Tahoe. Post more pics. That's an interesting boat!

-------------

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: February-17-2011 at 9:13pm
Bow doesn't look long enough for a SN.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: February-17-2011 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That looks like a Tahoe. Post more pics. That's an interesting boat!

Good eye Bruce. I bet you are right. Very cool boat and a real rare one. I was looking at the 65 brochure. Good year. A lot of collectibles, unfortunately I doubt there are very many left. Anxious to see this one cleaned up.

-------------

Date Posted: February-17-2011 at 11:28pm
more pics...so what do you guys think? Engine is 289 interceptor. Trailer is original. Still cleaning her up...

-------------
J.James

Posted By: ky82sn
Date Posted: February-17-2011 at 11:42pm
absolutely awesome!!! I would love to work on cleaning up that old boat

-------------
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier

Date Posted: February-17-2011 at 11:43pm
It's painted or has gel like a Tahoe. The Tahoes, American Skiers and Mustangs used the same hulls and decks. The mustang was the later version of the 3. The gauges in the dash resemble an American Skier. I'd say it's either an American Skier or a Tahoe. If you lift the engine box there may be an aluminum tag on the stringer with the serial number. It would give a good indication of what it is.

-------------

Date Posted: February-17-2011 at 11:53pm
The 65 brochure shows a Tahoe with the helm on the port side,I wonder if this is an American Skier.I guess we won't know until he finds the serial number.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:06am
I tend to think it's an American Skier that's been painted. But, even though the Tahoe shows a left hand drive in the brochure, doesn't mean they didn't make them right hand drives with RH engines like an Interceptor. There was a LH drive Classic with a Buick engine at the NE Reunion a few years ago. I love a dirty, pretty original boat like that, whatever it is.

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:23am
I will get the serial # info posted in a few days so stay tuned. I appreciate the comments fellas. Keep 'em coming. Thanks.

-------------
J.James

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:25am
You have the much sought after windshield wings. Kind of like old trucks used to have. The little wing window for ventilation. The glass is broken but the hardware is the gem. A classic ride for sure!

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:33am
Is there a way to restore/replace the wing glass? Didn't even know that so thanks. I'm learning fast...

-------------
J.James

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:41am
Marty Mabe has the scoop on that. I think you can have new glass cut for it but not sure what all it entails. He has hooked a few people up with the hardware and I am pretty sure he has a line on the glass.

-------------

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:44am
super long shot, but I wonder if there is a model badge under that aftermarket cushion on the dash.

-------------

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 1:18am
Now thats a Barn Find! I am sure its not a Ski Nautique. I also question the vinyl dash overlay? Does it have bucket seats? Any pics of them?

As for the wind wings, I have patterns from one of my sets. They are not glass. You can cut them from plexi / lexan, etc. Hard part is finding the missing "U" clips that the wing pivots on..

I Likey!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 8:47am
Originally posted by JamesGang JamesGang wrote:

These photos were taken the day I purchased the boat from the original owner. He swears it's a ski nautique...true?

Tell the seller about CCfan. We'll do some explaining as he needs some "60's 101" education! He must be smoking something! The deck's not even close to a SN.

Gen 1 SN deck:

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 11:05am
Great Find James! ......Man; some guys get all the luck.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

It's painted or has gel like a Tahoe. The Tahoes, American Skiers and Mustangs used the same hulls and decks. The mustang was the later version of the 3. The gauges in the dash resemble an American Skier. I'd say it's either an American Skier or a Tahoe. If you lift the engine box there may be an aluminum tag on the stringer with the serial number. It would give a good indication of what it is.

I think youre all over it Bruce- I agree. Like Larry suggested, Id pull that cushion off and see if there is an emblem on the dash... might get lucky! Otherwise the id tag on the stringer might be the only way to know for sure.

Looks like an original #2 trailer, too. Nice find!

-------------

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: February-20-2011 at 1:03am
No name given: JamesGang,
The wings (plexi), I have these being cut by a buddy on a laser cutter. I'm hoping he'll have these done in the next week or so. I had 10 sets cut, and have about 7 sets promised out. So, I'll have 3 more sets to find homes for. Fill your info out in your profile, so people can e-mail you or get you an avatar pic up.

Marty Mabe

mtmabe@northstate.net

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Date Posted: February-21-2011 at 3:16am
Yes, put me down for a set of wing glass. I will email you and thanks!
James

-------------
J.James

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: March-05-2011 at 12:48am
The Plexi-Glass is cut and polished guys!! Who was needing a set of the plexi??

Also JamesGang-- have we found a Hull ID # yet? Move that coushin on the port side at the dash and take a pic. Let's see if a dash badge was there!

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Date Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:35pm
Sorry for the delay on posting fellas. Found a metal tag nailed to a stringer that's stamped AM1432. Does this mean I'm a proud owner of an American Skier? Pretty cool.   I removed the dashpad and found only the holes where the metal emblem used to be. Darn. I wish had that emblem. Any advice on obtaining one? Also the light cover on my hull light is missing. Anyone have a line on those? So much to learn as begin to bring her back to life.

James

-------------
J.James

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: April-25-2011 at 12:33am
Yep, the AM should refer to American Skier.

Mine is titled as a 64 but was built in early 63... it has an AM177 tag.

the American Skier dash emblem is next to impossible to find.... most likely would have to come from a parts boat. When you say hull light lense, bow or stern?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: wingwrench
Date Posted: April-25-2011 at 12:57am
Here is what you are looking for. It's all that's left of mine. My boat was built in 62, AM106. Welcome to the club.

Date Posted: April-25-2011 at 3:57am
Thanks for the posts. The lens or cover I'm needing is for the bow. I think one of the pics I posted shows the light minus the lens. The rear one's in good shape.

-------------
J.James

Posted By: GregD
Date Posted: December-30-2019 at 9:35pm
I realize an old thread. Do you have any of these left? I have the template that I got with the 1965 American Skier I just bought, but if you have some that need a home...

Also, I have the wing frames, but not the brackets that go onto the wing windows. Is there a template to get for the glass clamp (not sure of right term) that holds the window and attaches to the frame pins?

Thanks,

Greg

-------------
1965 American Skier

Date Posted: December-30-2019 at 10:25pm
Welcome Greg seen your post on facebook,nice looking boat. Whats the hull number? I used to have AM361 before I came across the Mustang. As to Marty and his vents it might be best to email him-don't know how often he gets on here now days

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-30-2019 at 10:48pm
Thanks! Was so excited I forgot to check the hull number. LOL I got the title and was excited to get that. The HIN on the title doesn't look like that. It's at my father in law's in his barn for th winter. I may ask him to check the plate. It's on the back right of the hull isn't it?

-------------
1965 American Skier

Date Posted: December-31-2019 at 12:05am
That old of Correct Craft had an aluminum tag held on with 2 roofing nails on the port side stringer in front of the rear motor mount. The ones molded into the rear of the hull didn't happen til something like '71.
You will have a great time with it,a 289 will push it along nicely

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-08-2020 at 3:14pm
Going to do some work on the boat at my father in laws and plan on getting pics of all the important numbers including hull ID, engine, etc. Will post and add to my diary once I have it.

-------------
1965 American Skier

Print Page | Close Window