Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25606
Printed Date: May-06-2024 at 2:47pm

Topic: engine knock
Posted By: kapla
Subject: engine knock
Date Posted: April-16-2012 at 5:12pm

Last saturday I went out for a ride, did some barefooting, and then hanged in the river looking the city from the water. Then headed back to the marina...
engine performed flawlesly as always, but from the last stop of it I started hearing a strange noise, like a blown exhaust gasket, so I lifted the doghouse while underways, and there it was this knock coming from the engine...
WTF, boat idles fine no sound, I pumped the engine w/o gear up to 2500 rpm and no knock, only knock in gear starting to plane, around 1500-1800rpm and stays there.

Engine starts fine without hesitation.

No loss of power, no miss, no overheat...can´t say about oil pressure as the gauge broke a couple weeks ago, I grounded the sensor cable to the block and it didn´t peg. But after this I might think I had no pressure and maybe I toasted a rod bearing...oil pump was new when I rebuilt the engine.

Other thing in play here, I started using fuel from a new gas station, this was my third outing using this fuel (put around 8 gallons in those fill ups)...so also made me wonder if this could be engine pinging due to bad quality fuel? advance is set to 10º.

engine has only around 300 hours from rebuilt....so as you can imagine i´m really upset with this issue.

I will go with my mechanic and friend who did the rebuilt to investigate some more, and let you know how this thing turns on...

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Replies:
Date Posted: April-16-2012 at 5:14pm
So I limped back to the marina at idle speed, where it did no sound at all...
hope its the gas issue...

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: April-16-2012 at 5:43pm
You need to KNOW if you have oil pressure before you run it again new fuel or not. I would also check compression before running it just because it is quick and easy and gives you a look at the plugs. IF you have good compression readings, good oil pressure, and your oil isnt full of metal filings then run it.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: April-16-2012 at 5:50pm
yup I plan on taking a mechanical oil pressure gauge and plug it in place of the oil sensor...
will do this on wednesday, as tomorrow the marina is closed...

-------------

Date Posted: April-16-2012 at 5:52pm
I took a quick look at the oil that day, and seemed to be fine, I rubbed it between the fingers and no metals there..but you never know...
I´ll keeo you guys posted...

-------------

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: April-16-2012 at 6:04pm
Exhaust manifold gasket maybe? A bad one will be louder under load and not necessarily noticeable when not.

Posted By: watrski
Date Posted: April-16-2012 at 6:11pm
How old is your distributor cap?

Date Posted: April-16-2012 at 6:16pm
Its now 2 years old, as the dizzy, came new when i retrofited the protec ignition...
its a mallory

-------------

Posted By: watrski
Date Posted: April-16-2012 at 6:19pm
Take it off, look at it very closely. You might see a very faint mark where it is arcing between 2 cylinders. If you have a new cap....you can throw it on.

Happened to me...thought my motor was toast!

Date Posted: April-16-2012 at 6:19pm
Brian, I would be glad if this was the case, but this was no exhaust leak at all, this was coming from the guts of the engine...
actually i´m dealing with a exhaust leak on the vette, as 1 manifold bolt made its way out and its blowing there, totally different sound...

-------------

Posted By: NEDLUTZ
Date Posted: April-17-2012 at 3:14pm
Check your flex plate...

Date Posted: April-17-2012 at 4:20pm
yes thats another place I wanted to check...
its pretty new though, replaced it when i rebuilt the engine...

-------------

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 3:46am
I'm hoping for the best outcome, after having 3 bad engines in a row I know the feeling all too well. Hopefully it turns out to be something minor.

take a long piece of pipe or a broom handle or long screw driver or a mechanics stethescope to listen and locate the source.

Good luck.

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 5:19pm
just came from the boat, I´m upset.

Hooked the oil pressure gauge, 60 idle upon start and raises when you hit the throtle.

I have low compression on #2 cylinder. around 60-70. rest is in the upper 150´s...
Plug on that cylinder was destroyed, the electrode gone, though I got a pictures but no. Strange is when I got that out, after inspecting it I found traces of water in the spark hole...and some drips in the engine mount that sit below there. But when cranking the engine, no water came from there. No water in oil.
Rest are fine.

Knock is there under load from 2000 rpm and keeps there.
on neutral you can no noise...

So will need to start tearing appart that head and see first valve problems or what...
Seems the knock if from the upper engine, and not from below as i suspected....

Really don´t know what could have failed...only 250 hours from rebuilt, all oil changes on time, correct plugs....
Mechachic blames barefooting and the high engine speeds as culprits (joking of course), but I really don´t think so.

Probably will start the tear down by next week...

-------------

Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 5:28pm
Well we will know when we know but heat/detonation/bad gas type issues is my best guess. You could have stuck a valve, dropped a seat, or cracked/blew up or melted a piston. A little too much timing and/or less than ideal gas can cause/facilitate any of those things. They can happen pretty quick or overtime at barefoot speeds and loads.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 5:58pm
good that you have oil pressure, maybe you have caught this in time to keep repairs to a minimum---stuff happens. sorry that you are having engine issues. its a bummer but keep your chin up and take care of business. I don't think you can blame high engine speeds unless it was over reving. 4500-5000 rpms really is not high rpms in the big scheme of things, pulling 1 footer is not over loading anything. bad gas? maybe, bad component? maybe.

take a deep breath and tackle the problem.

Once again very sorry, it sucks no matter what, it just sucks.

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: Waterdog
Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 5:58pm
Knock under load, = rod bearing.
With low comp on #2 and bad plug, rip the haed off - fix what ya find.
Hard to guess, but when you pull the head you'll know.

Good luck, hope it don't cost too much!

-------------
- waterdog -

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3896&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - 78 Ski Tique

Posted By: crobi2
Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 6:02pm
Darn! I'm sorry. I remember watching your video on utube when you built that motor. That was before I even knew about this site.

Hope you get it fixed quick.

-------------
C-Rob

2000 SAN

Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 6:04pm
looks like my back deeps will be put on hold until this is solved...

-------------

Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 6:06pm
Engine ran sooo good, guess *************** happens...

-------------

Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 6:07pm
wow, auto bad words deleting!

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 7:18pm
Seb,
I'm sorry to hear about the problem - it sucks! Just keep moving forward. Get that head off and I know you will report back to us.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Engine ran sooo good, guess *************** happens...

Hay Kap,

The 30 seconds before it lets go is always the best it EVER ran.
Keep your head up, ya know if we could wrench on it with you we would be there. Thats what makes this site that Keith created sooo cool.

(Thanks for bringing us together Keith - get well soon!)

The 4 wide nats at Z Max dragway was last weekend.
Google "Mat Hegan explosion" hard to believe you could
live through that!!!

-------------
- waterdog -

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3896&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - 78 Ski Tique

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: April-18-2012 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Knock under load, = rod bearing.
With low comp on #2 and bad plug, rip the haed off - fix what ya find.
Hard to guess, but when you pull the head you'll know.

What we talked on the phone today

I also suggested Seb to take the valve cover off and move the engine by hand to see the valves open and close see if one's stuck or there's a bent pushrod. We need to find out WHY the plug burnt, and then head to see what else broke and WHY so it doesnt happen again.
Anyway the head must come off and most likely the engine as well.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Date Posted: April-19-2012 at 12:12am
That sounds like a good plan. That may tell more than just tearing into it. Just the fact that it is still rotating is a good thing.

We had a Mastercraft way back when and it was bought brand new, it had a 200 hour warranty, at 211 hours we blew a hole about 1 1/2 inches in the center of a piston, had to replace the piston and we got it back up and running again. The theory was a lean condition. Later the whole top deck worked the pop rivets loose and detached from the bottom/hull. That was real special. That was when we went to a BFN. When the BFN had somewhere near 3000 hours we rebuilt it, on teardown the piston skirts were detached/broken off and being held in place by the rings. Willies Malibu detonated at 5200 rpms at 800 hrs and had major damages, hole in block from the rod into the water jacket...when I pulled the head there was no piston left the rod looked like a hammer had beat it for hours. Roy was driving and he said the sound was something he would not forget.

I've got my fingers crossed that yours will be a fairly minor repair, you may have caught it before the real bad stuff has happened.

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: April-20-2012 at 8:18pm
today I was looking at the ngk plugs I had on the engine prior to replacing them with the autolite 764 around 6-7 months ago...I mark them from whick cylinder they came out. By that time they where all looking good, so the problem arrised in this last outings, probalbly bad gas @ wot....

i can´t work on the boat during the week ends, not permited by the marina, so probably till next week until I´m able to start pulling the engine appart...
Only 1 week from this problem and i´m starting to suffer boat withdrawal symptoms....

-------------

Posted By: jimsport93
Date Posted: April-20-2012 at 8:43pm
Man! Kap you sure have had your share of problems this year. Cheer up..you will get it figured out. In the meantime I quess it is sun-bathing on the bow of your freinds cruiser. Seem to remember some good pics from past outings on the cruiser!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2798 - 93 Sport Nautique

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: April-20-2012 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Man! Kap you sure have had your share of problems this year. Cheer up..you will get it figured out. In the meantime I quess it is sun-bathing on the bow of your freinds cruiser. Seem to remember some good pics from past outings on the cruiser!

Kao, hopefully it's something minor! Keep us updated and let us know what you find

-------------

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: April-20-2012 at 9:48pm
Kap,
It could have been bad gas!!
Last year I had the tips blown off 3 plugs from bad gas. Luckly my motor has a knock sensor and wouldn't let it go above I think it was 2,800 rpm.
Long story short I would hate to think what would have happened if I was able to run it at full rpm.

Oh by the way I was running Startron in the fuel at the time. I WON'T EVER BUY THAT CRAP AGAIN back to Stabil marine and no more problems.

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: April-20-2012 at 10:07pm
Kap that is bad news. At least you should have Bully there soon to help you with the spanner work.

What rpm's are you pulling footing? I would check your total ignition advance at those rpms and maybe wind it a back a few degrees for safety with varying fuel quality.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: April-24-2012 at 10:26pm
Seb, any news?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 3:31pm
just came from there...
bitter...
First pulled the exhaust manifold complete
found rust on exhaust ports on #2 and #3 cylinder, so I undo de riser, and looks like the gasket was bad and leaked water into those cylinders after shut off. I will test anyway to see if I have a cracked water jacket in the manifold.
Then removed the valve cover and all plugs and turned the engine. Valves close fine.
Removed the Cylinder head...geez, found the problem..blown head gasket between #2 and #3. Strange as compression on 3 was fine.
Little scuff on cylinder 3. Looks like at some point overheated @ wot (didn´t notice it) and voila failure.
I´m taking the head to the machine shop to test for cracks and see the valve and seats on 2 and 3 cylinders.

-------------

Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 3:33pm
now why the knock? the blown gasket? or piston slap?

-------------

Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 3:35pm

now why the knock? the blown gasket? or piston slap?

I was just going to ask that. Curious as to why there would be a knock unless the cylinder was filled with water or something.

Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 3:47pm
to this point my friend and mechanic, wants to check the head, fix it and put it again...and see what happens...
or should a i just remove the engine and see whats going on from below...

-------------

Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 4:24pm
Could you put a large breaker bar/ratchet on the crankshaft pulley and give it a couple of turns and see if you see any erratic movement? Just don't loose track of piston timing/location.

Or maybe with the starter? Be sure to disconnect/pinch off fuel going to the fuel pump.

Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 4:34pm
yes, I removed all plugs and turned it by hand, fine. also gave it some turns with the starter and moved fine, nothing strange according to my mechanic...

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 4:49pm
Curious to know what brand head gaskets did you use? Marine?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 4:59pm
yes, the ones that came on the PCM OEM kit...

I have 2 extra sets of felpro gaskets that came with the engine kit from summit...was planning on using those when I put it back together...

-------------

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 5:36pm
Did you have the knock after changing the bad plug?

Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 8:38pm
Interesting Kap. When I changed over to gt40p's I got everything together before I pulled it apart. I pulled off the old Felpro standard gaskets I had used and replaced them with PCM marine ones.Did not know what I was going to find on tear down and thought I'd be better off using the marine ones. The Felpro's looked fine and since you have them I'd use them.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: April-25-2012 at 9:16pm
Kap, you just may have caught it in time, dodged a bullet. I hope it's back up and running soon.

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: April-26-2012 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Did you have the knock after changing the bad plug?

yes still there...

-------------

Date Posted: April-26-2012 at 1:31pm
Don't put it back together without checking those rods

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: April-26-2012 at 6:45pm
So definetely I will need to pull the engine to check the rods...

-------------

Date Posted: April-26-2012 at 6:53pm
Granted I have not personally heard the "knock" but other than a valve witness mark or something on the piston to explain it I am leaning toward your water in the cylinder trying to be compressed by the piston pushing water through the head gasket and bending the rod, or head gastet leaking first but either way a bent rod Causing the knock. Or a hot piston sticking could also bend a rod.   Other than the labor pullin it apart there isn much reason not to at least check the rods

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: April-26-2012 at 7:05pm
you are correct there, it would be a double labor puting it back together to find the knock again...
I´ll go that way...

-------------

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: April-27-2012 at 8:36am
unless you want to do it twice...........funny, you always find the time to pull it apart a second time,
make sure that not only they check for cracks but they check it for flatness, check the deck too...not to often does a head gasket go, without a reason, could be as simple as stretched, weak bolts, just cover your bases...I know how some mechanics can be....the famous cliche "it will be fine" which translates too, "on your dime"

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: May-03-2012 at 10:44pm
good news head is fine, doing the plane and seats...

bad news will need to go further and see the lower train to find the source of the knock....

i will also need to pull apart the other exhaust manifold to take both and have them decked....still in search of a local shop that have the machine to properly do the job...

-------------

Date Posted: May-03-2012 at 10:55pm
making "head"way

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: May-04-2012 at 11:07pm

still in search of a local shop that have the machine to properly do the job...

Pete has the Autozone list...

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 2:20pm
no progress yet, yesterday I removed the other manifold to have the surface planed like the other, It came right off, only thing I busted a couple of knuckles in the process...

I was looking at the gaskets I have at home to compare them to the ones I removed from the engine, they are all felpro, but they are different. This in the picture, the one from the intake manifold: the one on top was intalled and the one on the bottom is the one i will use to reassemble. Other than the larger middle hole for the acc? they are quite the same. Is this OK?

-------------

Date Posted: May-08-2012 at 2:44pm
The hole in the middle is a exhaust cross over. Some gaskets have that little plate installed. Some you install if you want to restrict the exhaust flow through the intake.
One single plane intakes I've welded the cross over up.

-------------
- waterdog -

Date Posted: June-01-2012 at 12:20am
well ow you guys some update..

sent the head to the machine shop, and checked fine, had it resurface and cleaned.
also had both manifold planed, all surfaces including the exhaust ports.
finally I did not remove the engine, I turned the engine by hand and compared that all pistons would get to the max heigth, they all did.
last week we put the head with new gasket and put the intake manifold.
Today I went and finished intalling the rest of the things, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, new plugs, etc...
fired right out, and went for a test ride....
relief no engine knock, at all, tried a couple of take off and nothing, look likr the engine is ok. Got to cruise a little hit the 3000rpm mark with no problem.
anyway I need to do some tunning as i have a minimal bog upon take off, then it catches. Need to check timing or do some carb adjustment.
I removed the plugs to check for water intrusion and nothing. Oil is clean, temp is fine.
seems i need to give some more running time as all plugs came clean.

-------------

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: June-01-2012 at 12:47am
Good news!

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Date Posted: June-01-2012 at 2:35am
Great!

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: June-01-2012 at 2:40am
That is good news,too bad it's time to put it away   

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-01-2012 at 8:40am
I'm glad to got it Seb.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-01-2012 at 12:34pm
Good to hear

Date Posted: June-01-2012 at 5:17pm
now seems like 1 1/2 month sleep, screwed up the battery....
or the timing needs to be set...
on cold starts engine turns over fine, after the test drive when the engine was at running temperature, if I tryed ro restart it would crank slowly, then eventually start, but on a 3rd or or more restart it would crank very slowly. As I didn´t had the tester yestrday I could not see the volts.
Today I went with the tester to take some numbers. Started with no problem, the alternator read around 14-15 volts, with peaks of 16. On the battery it read 12.06 volts...The conections at the battery were little rusty so I disconected and cleaned.
Went for a ride again, 15 minutes. And went back to the marina. T was always between 140 and 160 degrees, probably low due to cold water...
shut the engine, and again it cranks very slowly, it would not even start.
let it cool some minutes and is starts, but on a restart is turns slowly...
So either I have to much advance, or the battery needs some more time to get a full charge? Prior to the engine incident I had no problems...
BTW engine runs smooth.

Gary
winter is cold but not as cold as yours, so I use the boat anyway. I prefer footing on winter cause less boats around, only hassle is the drysuit entry!

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: June-01-2012 at 5:22pm
Check the base timing, sounds like its advanced. You had the dizzy off and didnt recheck the timing after reinstalling it?

-------------

Date Posted: June-01-2012 at 5:25pm
Hard hot starting would be too much timing or bad wiring/starter.

You mentioned you have a slight bog on take off, but runs fine up top. I wonder if your distributor weights got stuck in the advanced position.

Date Posted: June-01-2012 at 5:33pm
actually i didn´t remove the dizzy, was able to remove the intake w/o touching it. Just had the conector unhooked.
But yes timing needs to be checked anyway.
The bog depends on how you give it gas, I you hammer it bogs a little then it catches, if you go gradually, it take off fine no bogging at all.

-------------

Date Posted: June-04-2012 at 6:09pm
it was not the advance actually, the batery wasn´t charging at all, as you can see on my post I had 14v on the alternator and 12 on the batery with the engine running....
It would start cold after seating for a while, but after a few cranks it would loose power....
Today I went again to check all the conections from the alt to the breaker, it was all tight, anyway I rechecked every conection. Had to jump the batery to start the engine. Then took reading again, and now is charging. Let it warm, and did several restart and is now cranking fine.

-------------

Date Posted: June-04-2012 at 7:06pm
Have you actually checked your timing yet, even if you never touched it in the course of the repair it was suspected as a possible cause of the original problem ??

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: June-04-2012 at 7:32pm
Not yet next time out I´ll have it timed. But prior to pulling the heads it was properly timed and checked to 10º initial. Never checked full advance curve, but I would suspect its working properly, as the dizzy is fairly new. Other than the noise it was running strong even with 7 cylinders!
I don´t have a ligth nor know how to use it so I have to take my friend to time it.
Good news i´m not seeing any water in the oil or at the plug wells.

-------------

Posted By: Whitfield
Date Posted: June-06-2012 at 3:53am
Seb,
    On the hard start ~ If it comes back (battery / alt / timing ok)....

A bad wire connection (high resistance) will produce lots of heat. With a quick touch test, The one that that tries to burn your hand is the bad connection.

-------------
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.

Date Posted: June-12-2012 at 2:13pm
alternator wasn´t charging the battery, moved the wires, checked conections, looks like I was loosing it somewhere. Now its working fine...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window