Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31925
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 10:15am

Topic: 72 Promo Progress
Posted By: storm34
Subject: 72 Promo Progress
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 11:30am
With winter setting in I figure everyone needs something to read/pics to look at to help pass the oncoming winter blues. I've slowly been working on this Promo for about a year but have been terrible about sharing the project and any progress.

As many of you know, I purchased this 1972 National Towboat last summer with a whole lot of Tim Benjamin's help. http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26727&PN=2" rel="nofollow - CCFan does it again He was able to make it run really nice before I took possession at the 2012 CT mini.

We racked up close to 10 hours on the old girl that weekend towing trick skiers, retro slalom runs and a few speed runs where she ran a stout 48.1 mph. She spent the rest of the summer on Lake Diamondhead and at our Power Boat Club drawing plenty of attention. Here's a few pictures of us enjoying the CT Mini and few of our starting point. I'll continue to update this thread over the next few days in hopes of getting updated to where it sits now.

Tim Moorfoot's retro run! Wood slalom and a ski belt!

Reidp carving $ signs in Tyler Lake

PicturePat doing some of the same

In good company!
http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/chrismars515/media/Promo/0b48e1de-8ebc-4314-8068-b3283a650720_zps4ad30dff.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Our starting point when we got her back to IA. She certainly lived up up to her name, The Orange Peel, but not for too long!

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/chrismars515/media/Promo/IMG_4415_zpsbfd94df4.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/chrismars515/media/Promo/1Promo_zps163d2593.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/chrismars515/media/Promo/3Promo_zpsccdf9cee.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

I started with just the wheel and 3m which worked fine on the deck and above the black boot stripe. Since there was substantial patina under the stripe I put PicturePat to work wetsanding 600/800/1000. This removed most of the small surface scratches in the gel and brought the color back to match everything else. A little work with the wheel and she looks great!

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/chrismars515/media/Promo/IMG_3293_zps8b94a979.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/chrismars515/media/Promo/IMG_3361_zps03c8841d.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/chrismars515/media/Promo/IMG_3360_zps8b78d5bf.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

The transom isn't quite done and we're planning to buff the bottom next spring when we get the boat up in the air at the club. I'll post some other progress on this boat if I get some free time today or this weekend.

Replies:
Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 11:42am
Where'd you get those bad ass boat cradles??

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 12:07pm
One of the first things I noticed too Zach,check out the Correct Craft decal on there also. The work place is nice too!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 12:31pm
Just some homemade engineering, Zach! Left over lumber, carpet and black paint with some new casters and brackets.

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 1:00pm
Looks really nice, Chris.

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 1:03pm
Looks awesome. Smart move on putting Picture Pat on the wetsanding, a good leader knows how to delegate! I know you're busy out there but there needs to be an Iowa weekend next year. hint, hint.

-------------

Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 1:13pm
Chris, are those 2x8s? I need to build something similar to that for the orange boat so I can finish the trailer properly. (probably should get the boat running first ha).

Alan, I have already been on Chris about that ;). My buddy I town has access to a plane maybe we can fly a 6 pass out of Indy to Mars nearest airport!

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 1:20pm
I was trying to convince skutsch to buzz us over in his Cessna. I drove into Iowa half a dozen times this year, I'm over it!

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 2:11pm
Did the trips to GL and Lake James in the Bounder this summer, had forgotten how much fun that is so we're up for a couple of outings next summer for sure. Especially if we get a couple extras to tag along and split gas!!! ROAD TRIP!

-------------

Posted By: Frankenotter
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 3:11pm
Chris I'm suuuuper jealous. I love those 72 promo boats. One of my first posts here years ago was about one for sale in Michigan. I can't wait to see the progress.

I also noticed the nice little cradle you built. I have to make one for my boat this winter so I can do some trailer work. Any chance you have the specs/pictures/parts list/or cost?

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 3:53pm
That things just an old piece of junk. It doesn't even have a tower. Part it out and move on.

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Posted By: 89Martinique
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

That things just an old piece of junk. It doesn't even have a tower. Part it out and move on.

i see signs of a joke... can't be serious... can you?

-------------
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 6:18pm
Yaaaaaayyyy, a thread to get me through the winter!!! Thanks Chris!

Keep the pictures coming... At a moderate rate ey, cause still five months before Yasmine comes out of winter storage...

Awesome boat and awesome cradle and nice shop!

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: gR@HaM
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 6:53pm
Schhweeeeeet!!!

-------------
'82 Ski Tique

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 8:39pm
The Iowa get together sounds like fun............and close. Let us know Chris. Should I bring a baby sitter?

Date Posted: November-01-2013 at 9:40pm
Thanks for the positive comments, guys! I still can't believe this thing ended up in Iowa...I'm very lucky to get my hands on this one!

The boat dolly is VERY functional. I'll see if I can dig up the drawings I made and the materials we used. All stuff thats easy to come by in any home improvement store.

We got the idea from our boat club and were able to look at a dozen different designs. Some do a better job of fitting to their hull but this particular design allows us to hold a variety of boats.

Dad and I built another (pictured below) a few years back for the woody. It's going to be cut in half this winter so we should have 3 boats on dollys in the shop at a time. We made it way too long and the 3 sets of moving casters is a huge pain to move in the shop with one person.

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/chrismars515/media/44883_528616157550_7820388_n_zps0323ba99.jpg.html" rel="nofollow"> [/IMG]

An Iowa mini sounds great to me. We still have to throw a new member party at the boat club next summer so that may be a perfect fit. Hollywood's been down there, it's a really cool place with plenty of flat water and old boats. Otherwise, our home lake is always an option. I'll just pool my ski buddies to get enough weekend passes if anyone wants to bring their own boats.

-------------

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: November-02-2013 at 10:08am
I got family in Perry, Iowa other than my CCFan one so I might be in for an Iowa mini. Skiing on the Des Moines river is on the bucket list so why the heck not? (Not really but it sounded good.)

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: Toeboat
Date Posted: November-02-2013 at 10:45am
Promo orange is my favorite color. Nice work!

-------------
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo

Date Posted: November-19-2013 at 5:28pm
With PicturePat heading the charge on the hull sides I started investigating the new floor and stringers.

At some point the boat was 'renovated' to have the creature comforts of a newer ski boat. This was probably when the boat received carpet, newer style vinyl on the seats and motor box and some other updated items. It's going back to original with the yellow seat vinyl and will receive Nautolex vinyl on the floor and I've been slowly collecting original parts which I'll save for another post.

Original back seat in great shape with newer vinyl on the engine cover and front seats.

First thing we did at Tim's was to look for original orange gel on the engine cover. It's still there but needs some TLC and an Airguide gauge.

We knew the boat was solid from it's time up in CT and after using the boat the remainder of the summer. Although stringers seemed solid, we knew the floor would need to be replaced.

Since the foam was removed some time ago I was pretty confident we wouldn't be doing any major replacing. What we found were really solid primaries and secondaries with limited rot in the exhaust cavities. The PO had also removed the bulkheads and replaced a few floor supports which were done pretty well.

Closed cell foam had been cut and used to fill the stringer cavities and create the air box which was a good idea but poorly executed in regards to how they covered the foam. The glass came out with one swing of the hammer so we're going to replace with some thin ply covered with vinyl for the top of the air box. Haven't finalized how to fasten this down but I was thinking of glassing at a few blocks on the hull sides so we can screw the top down.

Air box before

Remnants of the air box

I'm going to put these two bulkheads back in to support the blower/bilge hoses, wiring and steering cable. This will also slow down whatever water does enter the bilge and keep everything organized.

The stringers were cleaned up of any delaminate glass (scored with a grinder back to a good bond) and then treated with CPES, and a few layers of cloth and mat. There was some rot around the exhaust cavity which isn't structural for the hull or floor so I cut down the top/soft portion, treated with CPES and wrapped in glass. I don't have any great photos of this yet but when I get back on the boat over the holidays I'll be sure to grab some pictures. Overall, it's very solid and will serve us well until it's re-strung in the future.

I still have a few drain holes to drill in the primaries and secondaries so water can flow freely between the cavities. After pulling everything apart, I'm thinking the best places for these will be by the rear motor mounts and under the front seats which is the lowest point in the hull.    

The new floor will be a bit thicker due to the lack of a foam sub floor underneath. Everything will be removable for future maintenance, cleaning of the bilge and the ability to change out the foam in the nose in the future.

Here's a before picture of the floor which clearly needs replaced.

And a shot from the original ad showing the grey carpet.

New floor dry fit and ready for routing, sealing and vinyl.

At this point, I have everything to finish up the floor and cosmetics inside except the floor "T" molding trim, ski pocket trim and yellow vinyl for the new seat skins and ski pockets.

I also noticed a weird clunking noise when I was working on the floor. Reid had driven the boat and thought it was shifting funny into reverse. Turns out the coupler wasn't fit to the shaft and was being held only by the set screws which had been severely hogged out. Engaging in forward was smooth as silk, but anytime reverse was engaged it would slam the set screws thus hogging them out even further. We'll fix this with a new double taper shaft and cut down the old shaft for the Avocado Queen.

Here's a video of the play in the coupler. (insert shaft jokes below)

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/chrismars515/Promo/IMG_2235_zps6f0845ad.mp4" rel="nofollow"> [/IMG]

-------------

Date Posted: November-19-2013 at 5:41pm
are the seats original and they were just recovered with that grey? The back seat looks just like JMurph's so I assume that is

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: November-19-2013 at 5:47pm
The port stern cushion is bacerds.

-------------

Date Posted: November-19-2013 at 6:05pm
I wouldn't replace it just because of that.

-------------
bring the ruckus

Date Posted: November-19-2013 at 6:18pm
Deeno - you're right. Original bases and seat frames were re-skinned. We're going with something like this up front....

JMurph's boat...

Backseat cushions will have a zipper on the back..not the bottom. Both top and bottom will be pleated so we can flip them over if need be.

HW - Nice catch! That's from the PO's CL pictures.

-------------

Date Posted: November-19-2013 at 6:35pm
Where did jmurph get that Bud's Marina cushion?

Date Posted: November-19-2013 at 6:40pm
Yellow on orange is the coolest thing ever. Makes me think of candy corn haha.

That shaft moves awfully freely haha. The one in the Skylark was pretty loose and only held in by the set screws as well.

You're doing some mighty fine looking wood work there Mr. Mars.
Now go take care of that baby!

-------------

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: November-19-2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Where did jmurph get that Bud's Marina cushion?

I gave a bunch away at the White Lake Mini

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Date Posted: November-19-2013 at 10:37pm
I figured they had to come form you.

Chris, she's looking good. How are you going to attach the floor?

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: November-21-2013 at 2:27am
my favorite picture of jmurph's promo...

http://s138.photobucket.com/user/jbear16/media/White%20Lake%202013/122_zpsad13a46a.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

White Lake..2013..we borrowed the boat & jmurph let us keep it all afternoon.

My brother & I are trained & avalible for promo boat test runs.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: November-21-2013 at 11:16am
Some pretty good forecasting there.

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2013 at 3:44pm
Larry, nice find! Still hard to believe I'm lucky enough to own a Promo! Crazy how things work out.

Bruce, we're planning to use the same method the factory used minus the foam over glass underneath. There are floor supports at the end of each section of floor and we'll use the http://www.tapeease.com/aluminum%20t-moldings.htm" rel="nofollow - T-Molding between the floor panels. I believe Paul and JMurph used the ALU1029 in their promo boats.

I've poured CPES and filled all the existing holes in the stringer tops and floor supports. The plan is to pre drill new holes for the floor and use 4200 as a sealant.

Here are a few pictures of JMurph's floor.

-------------

Date Posted: December-11-2013 at 3:04pm
I've had a bit of spare time to work on the Promo trailer lately which wasn't in terrible shape but needed some TLC to match the shine of the hull sides. Like most projects around here, this one has taken much more time than I really wanted. Outside of needing bunk carpet and lights the trailer was in pretty good working order when we picked it up from Tim's.

Here's a few before shots.

Our company uses a small manufacturing shop to build scenic pieces so I dropped the trailer with Dwight to have the bow stop and boat guides straightened. Thats where we initially started but I should have known with any project it doesn't end there. Long story short, the trailer also ended up getting a complete tear down, sandblast, new fenders and powder coat. A bit more than I wanted to do with a house remodel and baby on the way but it's going to look really nice.

Dwight and his guys did the sandblasting themselves and checked everything over before sending to be powder coated. He was able to tag the powder coating along with another project we had for the business which saved me some money.

His guys went through the running gear with new bolts/washers/spacers and then reassembled it all to a rolling trailer again. I'm still waiting on the original jack which somehow missed the truck to powder coating.

The new fenders ended up a bit smaller than I anticipated (sorry, Tim) but I can't complain too much given the total amount I paid for all their work.

Getting the wiring finished and mounting the bow stop and guides has taken me forever but I really want to take my time and do it once. Everything is fit and ready to come off one more time so we can put a single orange pin stripe on the lower 1/3 of the frame which I think will be a great touch. Still not sure if I'll order some generic orange or take it to my brother's body guy to have a color matched striped painted on by hand, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Lastly, I'm thinking http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Dexstar/AM20304.html - these black steel wheels with baby moons will be just enough chrome and 70's style to tie everything together.   

Next up is to get new bunk boards cut and carpeted so we can get the boat back to the lake.

Date Posted: December-11-2013 at 4:12pm
Looking great Chris. As to free time did Mom send you out to get out of her way ;)

Date Posted: December-11-2013 at 4:21pm
+1 on the baby moons.

cheapest way to make a trailer pop, if you can find them. my old man looked for months before stumbling on his.

Date Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:03pm
Chris, the trailer looks great. Is it a #2 or #3?

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:07pm
Chris, those fenders kill me (esp since the originals were so nice!) but the rest of the trailer is looking great. Those wheels are great, but why not just paint the originals and save a few bucks? I'd be surprised if you couldnt find a 1/4" pinstripe tape that matched close enough... but I'd skip it entirely myself.

Bruce, thats a #3.

Adam, Im surprised you had such a hard time finding some baby moons... they seem readily available. They do look great on a vintage trailer though!

Date Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Bruce, thats a #3.

It's bunks are a lot different than our #3DV. Was the #3 you sold like Chris'?

Date Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:23pm

Bruce, thats a #3.

It's bunks are a lot different than our #3DV. Was the #3 you sold like Chris'?

Yes. Thats a typical #3. The frame stayed the same size and shape from the late 60's until the early 80's. Thats what Ive been trying to tell you about the 3DV- the bunks do not taper towards the front like a #3... they have to remain parallel since they were built for the v-hulls. Having a bunk crossing a strake would be a big no-no. The wider bunks (towards the front) probably explain your loading difficulties.

A #3 should load easier, and a #2 even easier than that (since its narrower).

Date Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:28pm
I wish you told me that a couple years ago... I see Boatmates in our future.

Date Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:43pm

I wish you told me that a couple years ago... I see Boatmates in our future.

Wish I knew that a couple years ago- otherwise I would have! Why go boatmate if there are CC options that load better? Obviously its less work to go buy a new trailer rather than restore an old one, but beyond that, I fail to see their appeal. Theyre not bad looking for an aftermarket trailer, I guess... but nowhere near as good looking as the factory trail, IMHO.

Date Posted: December-11-2013 at 6:16pm

Chris, those fenders kill me (esp since the originals were so nice!)

I agree, Tim. It's the one thing I was led astray on with Dwight. I was assured they would be almost identical to the original in size and shape but it clearly didn't turn out that way. Granted, the pic with the chrome wheel is a 15" rim so with the 14's they do look a bit better (edit: I think the originals are 14's), but not much...fenders are still substantially smaller than the original.

One thing I really like is how much stronger they are than the original mounting brackets and the fact they're closed on the inside of the wheel. I should have been more picky but I guess ya live and learn.

As for the pinstripe, can I play the original card since it had one when we picked it up?

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: December-12-2013 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I should have been more picky but I guess ya live and learn.

When it comes to trailers you can live and learn, I prefer to launch and go boating!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: December-13-2013 at 9:32am
Love the Boatmate that I had built for my Chris Craft

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: December-13-2013 at 12:10pm
Greg, could you share some pictures of yours? Just got word that the trailer I had committed to isn't an option anymore. Might be back to a Boatmate someday after all.

-------------

Date Posted: December-13-2013 at 1:47pm
Chris , send me your email and I will send some pics over. I took the boat to Boatmate on a Saturday and returned the following Friday to pick it up. Owen Shelton was great to work with and although the trailer has not logged many miles it pulls fantastic and is well balanced.

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: Waldo
Date Posted: December-14-2013 at 5:35am
Awesome thread.

Waldo

Posted By: Got Tiques
Date Posted: December-14-2013 at 11:15am
Chris,

Looks Great!! Where did you source the square U-bolts that attach the bow stop to the trailer frame. I need 8 sets, and possibly 12 including the under frame bottom plate. Please let me know if you have a source.

Thanks, Todd

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4811" rel="nofollow - '78 Ski Tique

Date Posted: December-14-2013 at 12:24pm
Todd, Not sure where Chris got his or if you can get them locally or not, but in Pete's absence I will fill in for him and suggest http://www.mcmaster.com/#u-bolts/=pszbp6" rel="nofollow - McMaster-Carr

-------------

Date Posted: December-14-2013 at 12:50pm
Todd, I don't believe anyone makes them. You have to have them custom made. Peter Connolly had some made for the bow stops that he made for us. He may still have them, but I doubt he'll have 8-12 sets.

Date Posted: December-14-2013 at 2:50pm
Find a local company that does leaf spring repairs and most likely be able to take care of you

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: December-14-2013 at 3:19pm

Granted, the pic with the chrome wheel is a 15" rim so with the 14's they do look a bit better (edit: I think the originals are 14')

So 14" wheels are what's going on the finished product ?

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Posted By: Got Tiques
Date Posted: December-14-2013 at 8:53pm
Re: The 1/2" U-bolts.

Bruce and Gregg, thanks for the info. I'll try Pete to see if he has a local guy with a set up to made them crude and cheap. Also I'll try to find a local guy here. Each boat trailer takes 4 sets, so it does begin to add up!!

Thanks, Todd

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4811" rel="nofollow - '78 Ski Tique

Date Posted: December-14-2013 at 9:42pm
Ahhhh. Didn't realize they were 1/2 inch. Don't mind me.

-------------

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: December-15-2013 at 10:04am

Our company uses a small manufacturing shop to build scenic pieces so I dropped the trailer with Dwight.

He was able to tag the powder coating along with another project we had for the business which saved me some money.

Lastly, I'm thinking black steel wheels with baby moons will be just enough chrome and 70's style to tie everything together.   

Nice "equipment" trailer, ehhhh? (read business tax deduction )

Looking GOOD! ...and YES on the baby moons!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: December-16-2013 at 6:04pm
Tim, I may see if these will clean up enough to match the quality of the new finish on the trailer.

Marty, steel 14's with Baby Moons will be the finished product...should look really nice.

Steve....it was more of a favor since I've taken him some nice business in the last few years. Plus, he gets some pretty cool "thank you" notes from PicturePat with the finished set for talking pieces in his shop. Call it an early Christmas present!

-------------

Date Posted: December-27-2013 at 12:31am
Some post-Christmas work was done tonight in our "new" warehouse so I thought I'd share pictures. We're moving buildings across the street (purchased instead of leasing) so the promo needed to get back on it's trailer to make the short trip down the gravel drive and into the new building.

For some odd reason most places in Des Moines don't carry quality bunk carpet in the winter months so we'll tackle that next week but the new bunks worked out great. This was the first time I had to cut new bunks so I was a bit skeptical. Everything worked out well but I wish I wouldn't have made the bevel so steep. This would have been the proper time to measure twice, cut once.

The trailer really makes the boat pop and it'll look much better with the finishing touches. Wiring still isn't done but I'm calling today a success.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

New bunks and fasteners.

PicturePat at the wheel of the fork lift.

Tucked away at the "new" building in good company

Nearly finished product

-------------

Date Posted: December-27-2013 at 10:44am
Looks awesome Chris. New shop looks like its going to be busy!

Date Posted: December-27-2013 at 10:50am
Yes, sir'ree she's looking great Chris. Can't wait to drive her again being all dolled up this winter.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: December-27-2013 at 12:32pm
WOW!!! What a change! Looking GOOD!

btw. nice shop!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: December-27-2013 at 1:41pm
Boats and shop do look great,hope you don't junk it all up with work stuff Black trailer looks great on the promo

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: December-27-2013 at 5:30pm
Very nice! Your gel really shines

-------------
83Ski

Date Posted: December-28-2013 at 2:47pm
That promo sitting next to the turquoise SN is an awe inspiring sight.

What a great combination of boats.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: December-28-2013 at 6:32pm
Looks great! Good luck in the new warehouse!!

-------------
Js

Date Posted: December-28-2013 at 6:43pm
Just what is it with these guy's who have these "warehouses" ? They seem to have quite a few boats, just who are they hiding them from? " Oh that one it's not another I've had that one for a long time"

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-28-2013 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Just what is it with these guy's who have these "warehouses" ? They seem to have quite a few boats, just who are they hiding them from? " Oh that one it's not another I've had that one for a long time"

Gary,
I find it a better to hide, ...err,..... I mean store, my boats in various locations. Lets see, right now I have boats in 3 barns and a couple of garages. (I think)

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: December-28-2013 at 10:40pm
Gary, the "warehouse" is for our family business which we use to store our gear, sets and stages. We upgraded to the other side of the street for 2x the space, bigger lot and a smaller payment per month. It's not as nice cosmetically but it holds more boats which equals more fun!

The Promo is certainly in good company with our 01 and PicturePat's Tique! Hopefully we'll be able to log some serious hours on the boats in the next few months.

-------------

Date Posted: December-27-2014 at 1:20am
been a while...

-------------
bring the ruckus

Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 7:09pm
...No Kidding and a lot has happened! I'll see if I can get this updated....maybe before GL!   

-------------

Date Posted: June-26-2015 at 1:59pm
So much has happened on this boat and it’s a little embarrassing how badly I’ve neglected this thread.    Here’s an initial update on where this project has been over the last few years. It’s still a work in progress but I’ve taken major steps to this boat being presentable and functional.

Most of the boat was wet sanded and buffed while trying to avoid the original painted graphics. Repainting the letters won’t happen for a few years since I’m starting to enjoy showing off the history of this boat. She shined up well and the color came back nicely. Some of these pictures go as far back as 2013!

Transom & platform before

Transom during

Platform refinish

Blood, sweat and years

Shined up and ready for Pinkham Point

At some point, this boat was refreshed cosmetically with carpet on the floor, grey vinyl and a platform. Fortunately for me, they took the time to remove all the foam under the floor. For the most part, this preserved the stringers from major rot problems but not everything was sealed properly.

My project of cutting a new floor had now grown to grinding, treating and covering almost all the stringers. Add in new pylon and floor supports and I wasn’t too far from an entire stringer job, which made it hard to determine where to stop.    

Overall, this boat is really solid considering it’s age and previous life. I’m sure it will last many more years considering it’s mostly a trailer queen these days.

Once everything was structurally sound, I cut an entirely new floor for the boat. Just for fun I did this process twice. Once with ¾” ply, which was overkill and a horrible fit, and then again with 5/8” which was a much better choice. Wrapping the floor in vinyl really transformed the look of this boat.   I still need to make ski pocket sides and wrap them in vinyl, which will hopefully happen this summer.

Since we finally had the boat back together it only made sense to drag it hall way across the country and tear it apart again, right? That'll have to wait for another post but I promise lots of pics!

-------------

Posted By: C-Bass
Date Posted: June-26-2015 at 2:33pm
Such a cool boat. How many times did you jab yourself on the platform brackets before the safety devices were implemented?

Love the copper tips. Our 67 has them as well and I was looking into something like Everbrite that will keep them nice and shiny. Otherwise they just tarnish in a matter of days/weeks.

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6103" rel="nofollow - 99 Sport
85SN

Date Posted: June-26-2015 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Love the copper tips. Our 67 has them as well and I was looking into something like Everbrite that will keep them nice and shiny. Otherwise they just tarnish in a matter of days/weeks.

Penny Brite will clean them up if they get tarnished, I would probably pop them off first, don't know what that stuff would do to the hull.

Looking good Chris, can't wait for more pics.

-------------
bring the ruckus

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-26-2015 at 7:25pm
Chris,
Looking great. Don't worry about being late with pictures. We'll take them anyway!
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Craig,
Actually, they aren't tips but are the actual exhaust pipes. The set up is a carry over almost from day one of the marine engine. The transom flanges were beveled on the inside of the back to accept rope packing. It would seal the water out plus allow for thermal expansion of the pipe. Another added benefit is one less hose connection and one less potential leak.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 1:41pm
All this Promo activity gave me some motivation to update this thread. Way overdue for the rest of this story and an update on my current progress. I left off just before our trip to Lake Norman, Pinkham Point and the world famous BBC. I’ll do my best to give everyone the highlights of this crazy/awesome week.

Luckily for PicturePat and I, the drive out and back was uneventful and the original tires from the PO made two more cross country trips!

Our mission for the week was to pull the original 318 and replace with a fresh 340 in time for the Pinkham Point mini reunion! Why remove a perfectly good, strong running 318? Well, Chrysler stuff is cool and our good friend ReidP happened to come across a pair of 340’s. He wasn’t going to let JMurph run away with the “Fastest 72 Promo” on earth award. Challenge accepted.

Gary was ready for us as we pulled into the BBC and after catching up for a few minutes parts were flying and the 318 was out. Over the next few days Gary, PicturePat and I logged some serious hours getting everything pulled, cleaned up and swapped over to the new 340. For the most part, everything wen’t as planned with very little re-engineering/rednecking. I came prepared with new prop, shaft, strut bearing, damper and a truck load of other little things the boat still needed.

I can’t stress how awesome Gary and Reid were through this process. It was a blast playing Gary’s sidekick assembling the motor and putting the boat back together. Can’t thank him enough for all his help and patience getting this boat back on the water.

As things started to come together some other CCFans started showing up for the Pinkham Point mini. Tim Morfoot showed up and offered to install the new ACME 540 and check out all the running gear. Mike, Joe and Tim helped with quality control as we started the break-in process on the 340. Not to mention everyone helping with all the small details and final assembly of the interior.

Other than some minor plumbing issues and the expertise of Tim Benjamin, the break in process went as planned. Here’s a quick video during the 20 min initial run.

I swear if we would have had a film crew on-site Reid would have a hit show on Velocity. With the cool nature of the project, short timeline and all the contributors (characters) we would have had a great pilot episode! Overall, our time at the BBC was worth the trip alone but the fun was just getting started and we headed to Pinkham Point for for a test run and awesome weekend with our CCF buds.

Joe captained the Promo for the initial lake test. Things were going really well for the first 10 minutes. Unfortunately we didn’t make it back under our own power due a sticky float. We headed back to the dock, towed in by Miss Scarlet, and I was headed for my first carter carb rebuild lesson.

After the carb cleaning everything seemed to be ready for a few speed runs. Joe showed us the ropes and we all took turns beating on the boat for the next hour. Everything went as planned and we were ready to enjoy the fruits of our labor, cool boats, beer and buds.

Tim Video

To anyone reading this – don’t ever pass up the opportunity to make the Pinkham Point Mini Reunion. We had a great time getting to know new CCFans and re-connecting with some of our existing “internet buddies” over the weekend. Here’s a few pics of the fun had that weekend.

One highlight of the weekend was the “Dos Promos” race and photo shoot. We never did put a GPS on the 340 Promo but the Chrysler Crew prevailed in the end! Here's some pics of us running the two boats together. I can’t imagine two of these boats have been together since they were built and running tournaments back in the 70’s. Thanks to PicturePat for finally coughing up some Dos Promos pics!

Unfortunately, the fun had to come to an end at some point. If not for Zoe and Maddox waiting for me at home I’m not sure I would have ever left! Although I need to thank a long list of people for helping me with this project there’s two that stick out in my mind.

Reid and Laurie – I can’t thank you guys enough for your generosity, help and hospitality. I always think of you guys as we continue to work on this boat and enjoy it with our family.

Gary – You’re the man! I’ll repeat myself – I can’t thank you enough for being patient with me and sharing your expertise. Hanging in the BBC was a great reprieve from sitting behind a desk. Looking forward to seeing you and Sam at a CCF event in the future.

All major projects are nearing completion and the hard work seems to be done. We've been enjoying the heck out of this boat since our visit to NC and it's performed flawlessly! We've finally located a reputable vinyl shop locally so the interior should be done this winter along with a few other cosmetic updates. Hopefully I can get this thing ready for a nice long run down the St. Johns River or the Dora Canal next spring!

-------------

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 3:00pm
Excellent write up Chris. Hopefully in a few more years we can get 4 of these orange machines together!!

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 3:24pm
Very nice write up Chris! You must have threatened Picture Pat in order for him to cough up the pictures. Those are great!

+1 on that Zach. We just need to find as many of these Promo's as we can and get them into CCFans hands...I for one would add a Promo to the Morfleet of boats. They are just too cool! Keep up the good work Chris and we'll look forward to seeing the updated Marrs Promo at "The Ruckus"

-------------

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 4:12pm
I wish the Indiana one wouldn't have been overpriced by about 500%.

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 4:26pm
There's the Arkansas basketcase that was for sale, then he came on here and is fixing it up, can't think of his name. There's a few in the Diaries.

tryan
72stang
JMurph
storm34
reidp/TRBenj/JoeinNY/Got Tiques
Frankenotter

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 4:37pm
What was "offical" production? 10-13 or so?

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 6:24pm
I've never heard anything from an official source but my guess is 10-15. Seems like 20 would be a crazy amount of boats for 1972.

Art??

-------------

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 6:38pm
82 Silver Nautiques were made and there's a little over a dozen on here

13 Paragons were made and only about a third have surfaced here

So if there's 6-8 on here then there could be 25-50 made, I wouldn't be surprised.

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 8:25pm
Nice story and what great looking boats. Now I need to make the short trip over for a ride/drive!

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 8:53pm
Chris,
Keep up the good work. The promo is looking fantastic.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:00am
Oh man. Reid is about to become my best friend and he doesn't even know it yet!

Beautiful job guys! I cant wait to get a bunch of these things together some day. In my head, I'm shooting for Green Lake 2019 as a worst case scenario.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:17am
Chris, looking forward to seeing your progress! We have a few work trips planned for Chicago next year so maybe we can schedule a few CCFan work nights!

-------------

Posted By: relake
Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 10:24am
Great thread, what a beauty!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=8310" rel="nofollow - '97 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Fabcon
Date Posted: September-19-2016 at 11:52pm
Very nice promo, love the orange.

-------------
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1984 Barefoot Nautique (Parting Out)

Date Posted: December-16-2016 at 3:09pm
On to winter projects and the 72 Promo is enjoying the 65 degree weather in the shop. Currently in the 20's here in Iowa.    

First order of business was to finish up the trailer project which includes proper black bunk carpet, orange pin stripe and some baby moons. I'm still looking for the right orange pin strip so if anyone has suggestions they'd be much appreciated. I'm thinking 1/8" wide would do the trick.

Here's a few pictures of the trailer project. But first.....One last ride before winterization.

Ok, on to the projects....Temporary carpet removed (old stage carpet). Ready for black bunk carpet!

One side down. FWIW - I noticed Ramlin adds a strip of carpet on top of their bunks so decided to do the same on this project. Grey carpet came from the 01's old Magnum trailer.

Re-painting Axle, springs and misc hardware.

Ready for baby moons, pin stripe and a promo!

Looks much better!

While I'm waiting to find a few trailer items I decided to start on the graphics restoration. It all started with replacing the MA registration but I couldn't resist cleaning up everything else.

The vinyl boot stripe was in pretty rough shape and the PO had touched up a lot of blemishes with paint. I stripped everything with the 3M eraser wheel and will wetsand off the remaining paint. Currently planning to re-paint the boot stripe along with the letters.

I would love to see one of these boats roll off the assembly line with the bright orange!

There was a lot more paint than I expected. Here you can see the remnants after the vinyl was removed.

Cleaned up and ready for paint.

My plan is to get all the prep work done before the end of next week in hopes of re-painting everything between Christmas and New Years. The letters currently have light brush marks and I have no reason to believe it's not factory so we'll be duplicating this look instead of spraying.

I'm waiting to remove the American Flag and Cypress Gardens decals until I can find a good source for placements. There's no telling if the CG decal was original but I'm concerned the gel color will be much lighter if removed. JMurph's promo has the CG decal....but the AZ promo showed no signs of either decal. At this point I'll plan to replace it unless there's concrete evidence it's not original and the gel isn't too faded underneath.

Cousin Donal - any chance you have a few NOS laying around with your other Cypress Gardens paraphernalia?

-------------

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: December-16-2016 at 8:39pm
Nice progress, it's looking good!! Should be relatively easy to mask off the lettering since it is all there. Keep the pics coming. Duane

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Date Posted: December-16-2016 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Should be relatively easy to mask off the lettering since it is all there.

Chris,
I agree but when you wet sand and or buff, be careful to leave some of the original graphics for masking. When the time comes, http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/~/Scotch-Fine-Line-Tape-218?N=5471778+3291638463+3293241622&rt=rud" rel="nofollow - you'll need some of this - great product!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: December-17-2016 at 12:48am
Cousin Donald - any chance you have a few NOS laying around with your other Cypress Gardens paraphernalia?

Chris,

Unfortunately, when I sold my 1980, d*ck Pope's personal boat, back to the Lego Land / Cypress Gardens to be placed in their Museum. The deal was I had to include all of my PARAPHERNALIA. I also had some wooden skis with his signature on them that also went with the boat.

On another note, I can't believe how much both of your kids have grown. You have a great looking family there. Also, that Promo is also looking great.

Donald

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Date Posted: December-18-2016 at 9:59pm
Too bad.....that stuff would be worth millions these days! All kidding aside, Zach might have found a solution.

If anyone needs Cypress Gardens decals for their wood ski restoration or promo speak up now so we know how many to order!

-------------

Date Posted: December-18-2016 at 10:13pm
Yep, put me down for a set.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 11:43am
Will do, Chris! Planning to get him some measurements and good pictures this week. Hopefully they can make it happen without breaking the bank!

-------------

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 11:50am
Chris, I have seen these available... shouldn't have to do any leg work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cypress-Gardens-wood-large-size-water-ski-decals-pair-/351892562905?nma=true&si=weCbRA8uBRcYxb%252Bit%252FmuH7Xcnuc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:13pm
Tim, I haven't been able to find any listed in the last few weeks and haven't received any responses from sellers who've sold them in the past year. I have all winter to do the leg work and we don't think price will be much different.

I've also noticed a few variances in these decals since I've been searching. Wondering if they have any meaning....

Blue dot or the letter "c" on either side of the logo.

Orange dot from decal on a ski....

Letter "B" from my 72 Promo....

Any background on these would be helpful.

-------------

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:36pm
I wonder if Art C. could give any in-site into the difference?

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Date Posted: December-20-2016 at 7:53pm
Thanks Chris. Count me in as a backer! Depending on the outcome (price) it might be worth getting a few backups as well.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-12-2017 at 4:51pm
I just looked at my sticker yesterday while I was at the boat. Mine have a "B" in the circle. I'd post a pic but I'm on my cell.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-22-2017 at 1:13pm
The last few weeks have been spent restoring the engine cover gel, gathering materials for a new interior and repainting the letters/boot stripe on the promo.

The hours don't show in these pics but I've spent some considerable time sanding the hull sides. I'd previously wet sanded a majority of the boat but avoided the letters & decals in hopes of saving the original patina a few more years. Since everything will be re-painted this spring I was finally able to be more aggressive sanding & buffing the remaining oxidation.

Not too bad for a 45 year old boat!

I'm currently planning to have everything re-brushed as the current graphics are definitely hand painted and show no signs of being sprayed at any time. Personally, I like the look of the brushed letters.

Looking for paint suggestions (rustoleum) for the letters/boot stripe and pointers for preparing the surface for paint. Guessing I need something similar to https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-Marine-Coatings-Black-Gloss-Enamel-Oil-Based-Marine-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-32-fl-oz/3200859" rel="nofollow - this product?

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: January-22-2017 at 7:15pm
Love the dump truck. Been getting a little help?

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: January-22-2017 at 8:22pm
Chris,
I don't feel you need to get that "top shelf" Rust-oleum. The regular worked for CC for years. Solvent wipe the areas for paint. Lightly scuff with 400 and then solvent wipe again.

Lookin great!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window