Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31944
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 7:22pm

Topic: Project 67 Mustang
Posted By: dochockey
Subject: Project 67 Mustang
Date Posted: November-03-2013 at 8:54pm
She has been sitting in a garage since 2000 My plans are to bring her back to original as I can.

whats missing ?

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-03-2013 at 9:12pm
Yucatan yellow, nice!

That's a 67-68... What's the hull number? Looks like it originally had a dash shifter- and would have either had a side mount or foot throttle. That isn't the original carb or intake- which makes me think it may have originally been a 165hp or 190hp 2bbl motor? Missing the original Interceptor logs. Do you have the fiberglass rear seat base? I can't tell if the floor pan is lurking under the carpet. Is that motorbox covered in vinyl? That's not the original #2 trailer obviously. I have never seen those rounded scoops on a boat with the later deck like this- any evidence of them being swapped out at some point?

Looks to be in nice shape!

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: November-03-2013 at 9:39pm
Mid-West Correct Craft must have pushed alot of Mustangs thru those doors!
What's the plan of action Kirk? Going to get it running and see what it needs? Seems like a good one to start with.
Looks to be your new ones twin Tim!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: November-03-2013 at 10:51pm
I know that there is a Foot Pedal on e-bay right now and I think that I saw a shifter lever. All are under a Correct Craft search. Also you are in luck because the Fram Filters are very popular with several folks on the site. They are making a comeback.

Great find.

Donald

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:36am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Looks like it originally had a dash shifter- and would have either had a side mount or foot throttle.

Uhhhhhh Timmy.....you're younger than me and therefore should have a better eye than I. From the below picture, the throttle on this one would be on the side. You know that chrome arm with the Cueball knob on it. You're slipping buddy!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Uhhhhhh Timmy.....you're younger than me and therefore should have a better eye than I. From the below picture, the throttle on this one would be on the side. You know that chrome arm with the Cueball knob on it. You're slipping buddy!

Tim, you have your coffee yet this morning?

Since the dash shifter is now missing, the throttle and shifting duties are presumably now being handled by a morse control, which is pictured. Tough to say what was there originally without better evidence... I have seen both set ups (foot and hand throttle) with the dash shifter.

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:47am

I saw the shifter and foot pedal even before I picked the boat up. I asked if he had a sell it now price he said he wanted to let the auction run ?
hull number INZO70888029
The hull is in great shape only one crack that I could find was here

I didn't look under the carpet. For sure the engine has some mods The P O said she runs .

The piece of floor thats missing in the rear was rotted which was the start of the taking it apart to redo that was back in 2000, they bought a newer nautique so she sat. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the history the po was going to talk to the first owner . I'm hoping he has some parts laying around?
There is not a 69 Brochure in the reference ?

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:53am
For reference, the side mount throttle looks like this:

The control looks like this:

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:56am

The original seat color was white or a cream ?

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:58am
I have the '69 brochure (Mike Thrower scanned it and sent it to Keith but it hasnt been uploaded yet)... but it will be of no help to you since your boat is a '67 or '68.

That hull number you posted is the one issued by the state of Indiana... the hull number I want to see is the one that CC issued. It will be in one of 2 places- either on the USCG plate just forward of the throttle, or on an aluminum piece screwed to the top of the stringer in the engine compartment. It will read M-XXXX.

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:59am
Keith never put the 69 brochure up. Does not matter though you have a boat no newer than 68. Is the aluminum tag off the port stringer next to the engine? The serial number should start with a M followed by 4 numbers. 68 brochure is the same anyway,they just reused it. Rudder has been changed too,Lilly pad would have been on when new.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:01am
I bet it's a 67 and at one time had a foot pedal. Nice, pretty much original boat! I saw a speedometer like that for the first time in the orange Cuda we picked up in September. I put it on ebay and it didn't sell. I found out later from Phil that it was the early 60's type that went in the 1st gen Nautiques. I'm glad it didn't sell! Great find!

Edit, I see it's got the newer pylon, so maybe an early 68?

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:01am
Those seats are from the mid 70's... its not uncommon to see them in a boat of that era, as the originals sat on plywood frames that were prone to rot. The vast majority of interiors that I have seen from '67-69 were monotone cream (all seats and side panels). It wasnt until late '69 or '70 that they started mixing in some color.

Gary is right about the rudder- lillipad would have been original. The 27A was first used in '70 and is a slight performance upgrade (though you'd have to get the boat above 50 to notice). Might want to trim the port flush with the bottom of the boat though.

Original pylon and you have the back seat base, nice! Most '67's Ive seen were still using the stepped pylon like this one... my bet is that the boat is a '68.

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:05am
I took that number off the bill of sale. The boat is at my dads an hour away.

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:09am
The engine cover usually matched the seat color ? I wounder why they covered it ?

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:17am
The engine cover would have been gelcoated. It may have been white, cream or matched the boat (yucatan). It looks like someone attempted to "modernize" the boat by adding carpet and redoing the interior in brown. CC started covering all motorboxes in vinyl around '77 or '78. I think the gelcoat boxes are way cooler though!

Ripping that carpet out and pulling the vinyl off the motorbox would be the first things on my list- just to satisfy my curiousity! If youre missing that removable panel in the back, then that will be tough to find- but it will be interesting to see if the rest of the floor pain is intact.

Posted By: cbdenco
Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:21am
Very nice! Congrats! The fiberglass really appears to be in great shape! I notice your fresh water pick up is much further aft on the hull compared to my American Skier. Also I'm wondering how much the fin adds to handling? Mine doesn't have one

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:22am
Weren't the panels in the floor pans wider behind the motor box than what is showing?

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:30am
Bruce, good catch- yes those panels were as wide as the exhaust outlets. So the floor pan is probably long gone.

CB, there is no fin on this boat that I can see- CC never put them on first gen Mustangs. I believe the first time they were added to the 16' boats was in 1976 when the Ski Tique came out. What youre probably seeing is the shark-fin shaped Airguide speedo pick up.

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 11:00am
Since I happen to have both years here at this time,I took some
pictures of the differences between 68 and 69

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 11:05am
Serial number location first one is below oil cooler on this one

All are in front of rear motor mount

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 11:12am
Good older picture of how my back panel is in. Panel has different
cutouts for 3" Holman Moody exhaust. This panel was from a standard
exhaust boat and was cut out to match an original but bad shape one
from John b's HM SS

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Hussler
Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 11:30am
Sorry to hijack but Gary, how is the base plywood of that seat attached to the fascia? I was thinking of using aluminukm angle and through bolting.

To the OP, you are missing the spacer in between your rudder and pitman arm. Just thought i would point that out

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 11:33am
Good visuals, Gary. Scoop placement and light style are 2 differences between '68 and '69- the others I can think of are the gauge cluster and seats.

Dont forget that the pan had to be notched for all 3" exhaust boats, not just the H-M's. Chryslers got the larger outlets as well.

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Sorry to hijack but Gary, how is the base plywood of that seat attached to the fascia? I was thinking of using aluminukm angle and through bolting.

To the OP, you are missing the spacer in between your rudder and pitman arm. Just thought i would point that out

He has the spacer Jim it's just put together wrong,the PO has it on first so it's down at the rudder end!

As to the mounting are you refering to the seat back? There is a screw mounted in the center of the boat in the gunnel face. Then there is a keyhole plate mounted to the seat back like the upper left of the pic below. The back just hangs on that. The seat bottom frame screws down to the floor thru the 1 x 1/2 cross piece at the rear bottom then 2 horizontal screws go thru the larger dark colored cross pieces into the bottom of the seat back pulling it tight to the bottom framework. The seat bottom just sits there so you can lift it up and use the framework for storage

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Hussler
Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

He has the spacer Jim it's just put together wrong,the PO has it on first so it's down at the rudder end!

Haha didnt see that, nice that he still has the part.

I was talking about the seat base, where the cross members mount to the front board covered in vinyl.

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 12:43pm
Kirk,
Are you done re-storing your 89 yet?

Hey- What turned or helped your decision in getting the Mustang?

Nice Find by the way!

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Date Posted: November-04-2013 at 1:13pm
Jim they only used wood screws real crude. For some reason this wood one was used where normally 'glass pans were used. I have seen the exact wood frame used in wood Correct Crafts,not sure why mine has one.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: john b
Date Posted: November-17-2013 at 4:06am

Good older picture of how my back panel is in. Panel has different
cutouts for 3" Holman Moody exhaust. This panel was from a standard
exhaust boat and was cut out to match an original but bad shape one
from John b's HM SS

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the H/M panel having a cut out for the exhausts. Here is the one from my 70.

-------------
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Date Posted: November-23-2014 at 3:24pm
Well a lot has happened since I picked her up, I had to put things on the back burner. She came came with a non cc trailer, with the help of (62wood) I was able to get a period correct trailer.
So I had to switch trailers and where I would normally drop it in the water the water was frozen. I took it to my local marina and I used their hoist. With new tires and recent bearings I dragged it to it's new home.
Plans are to tear it down new stringers, repair the gel as needed, and a engine overhaul

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-23-2014 at 8:52pm
So Kirk did you end up going to Sterling to pick the trailer up? Looks like your the rebuild thread to get us thru the winter!

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-23-2014 at 9:45pm
Yes Gary I did, I just squeaked by that snow storm. The trailer is awesome.

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-23-2014 at 10:46pm
I have just seen in your first pic,your boot stripe is the same as mine. I have never noticed any others that are the same, most seem to continue all the way to the front. Did Steve meet you in town and blindfold you for the ride out to the ranch? If you ever decide you need a new axle check with TimB he has a source and might have one for the springs too. I had trouble with the seal area on mine so I bought one and it fit fine. As you will find out when you eventually work on yours running gear parts are odd sizes compared to others.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-27-2014 at 9:25pm

I had some time today to tinker and this is what I found !

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-27-2014 at 9:29pm
Sorry forgot to rotate the photo

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-27-2014 at 9:50pm

M 2198 is what the tag says.
Is this what art needs to look up the invoice ?
I found some old registrations it says she is a 69 .

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-27-2014 at 10:22pm
That's the hull number you're looking for. It's definitely not a '69 though. The number would seem to reinforce my previous guess.

That's a 67-68...

I have a number of 68-70 mustang id numbers collected, the earliest verified is in the late 2200's and was a '68 built in sept of 67. I'd say yours is a late 67 or very early 68 based on the id and other trim details I see.

What's in the battery box?

Date Posted: November-27-2014 at 11:18pm
It's a frozen mouse nest.
It's funny you say it's older cuz there were about 6 or so old registrations in the side panel and all saying 69.
How does one decipher the serial #s
Did the fiber glass floor go all the way back ?

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-27-2014 at 11:45pm
Looks like someone made the battery box hole bigger too, the edges are cut at 90 compaired to a radius. I have some floor pictures Kirk but will get them later,I can't get into photobucket for some reason and yes it goes quite a way back. Do you have the toe board? I have a decent one if you need it.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-27-2014 at 11:53pm

Gary is the toe piece fiberglass ? I removed a piece of wood that was carpet wrapped

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-27-2014 at 11:59pm
Yes it is Kirk it matches the floor and has ply glassed in on the back side to give it strength

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-28-2014 at 12:26am

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-28-2014 at 12:31am

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-28-2014 at 12:47am
I don't have the piece that is behind the motor. Don't know it thereever was one.
The carpet was tacked with staples, I'm hoping it will clean up

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: November-28-2014 at 1:36am
In the end I used the same 3m compounds and pads that we use on the hull. Cleaned up really well.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-28-2014 at 10:41am
There is no "decoding" the serial number, they were just sequential (with some exceptions). Art should be able to pull the build sheet on it and confirm the date.

It's pretty common for registrations to list the year incorrectly, you see it all the time. Apparently the DMV is not the authority on year to year changes at Correct Craft.

A '69 would have had different seats, light, dash, scoops (style, placement, number), etc, as noted earlier in the thread.

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:18am

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:30am
Took the windshield off today and one side was plastic and the other glass?

Is the white molding still available somewhere?

How would one fix this?

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:35am

Tim looks like these are original

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 2:01am
The 69 SS Mustang I sacrificed had one glass pane and one plastic too The vinyl windshield deck channel is available Let me know if you can't read the numbers. Love your project!

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 8:25am
Yes, scoops are original, since I posted last year about not recognizing those rounded scoops, I've encountered a few 67 and early 68 boats with them.

Not sure what we're looking at in the "how do I fix this" pic?

Motorbox looks good!

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 9:52am
Kind of weird why the windshield frame broke where it attaches to the deck. We have a plastic panel in our Classic windshield. It was a challenge to put it together due to the plastic being slightly thicker than the glass. The color of the motor box is nice!

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:42pm
Which side of your windshield is plastic, port or starboard? I believe the mounting tab on the windshield could be welded back on.

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I believe the mounting tab on the windshield could be welded back on.

It's sure worth a try but, some alloys can't be welded. You won't know until the welder tries to develop the weld puddle.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Which side of your windshield is plastic, port or starboard? .

Oh boy now your putting me to the test
Uh the plastic was on the port side, the glass was on the starboard side

I hope your going to Tell me you have the one I need ? And your willing to part with it.

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 8:06pm
I can set you up with another plastic port side pane. Sorry. See if they can weld up your frame. If all else fails get back to me sometime. I will know a lot more when I get mine assembled.

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 8:48pm
Ken Meloon at the Taveres show was telling me how many halfs they used to go thru,I'm guessing the passenger is using it for a handle,while the driver used the wheel?

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 9:04pm
The wheel doesn't work either Gary.

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2014 at 11:38pm
I didn't ask how many wheels they had John

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-03-2014 at 7:28am

Ken Meloon at the Taveres show was telling me how many halfs they used to go thru,I'm guessing the passenger is using it for a handle,while the driver used the wheel?

Another reason to turn that observer seat around the way it's supposed to be! The pylon is a sturdier grab handle too.

Date Posted: December-03-2014 at 12:43pm

This was still tacked to the back of one of side panels what are the chances this is the original color?

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: December-03-2014 at 1:39pm
Possible but I wouldn't bet on it. It seems cc didn't start mixing in vinyl colors until late 69 or 70 (at least on the mustang, of which I am most familiar). Seats and side panels were white or cream prior to that. The deep texture of the vinyl looks more like 70's vintage to me- which would be the same vintage as your replacement seat frames. I'd guess that maybe the side panels and seats were reupholstered when the boat was ~10 years old.

Of course, cc wasn't 100% consistent back then, so anything is possible!

Date Posted: December-03-2014 at 11:20pm
This is Mustang M2621. It is probably a 69 or 70. I was told that this is the original upholstery on the front seats. The back seat has been reupholstered. It used to be the Skiing Skeeters tow when it was new. It is in the year range when Tim said they changed over to a wider selection of fabrics. It appears to be pretty much original sans wheel, and the color of the upholstery looks close. I have only seen it on the water a couple of times in the 12-13 years I have been on the chain. It is driven by old people like me, no surprise.

-------------

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 8:01am
I agree, all the details I see say it's a late 69 or 70. Most likely a late 69 per the hull number, it falls between 2 I've confirmed are a 69 (built 2/69) and a 70 (built 8/69). Scoop placement, dash style, motorbox are the other big clues, but the colored upholstery and panels are consistent with other mustangs of this era that I have seen.

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 9:23am
Either someone got drill happy or that boat didn't start out intended for a HM, another case of use what you can get

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 9:53am

Either someone got drill happy or that boat didn't start out intended for a HM, another case of use what you can get

I'm not following you Gary... Care to enlighten us on what you see?

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:10am

I'm not following you Gary... Care to enlighten us on what you see?

Gary,
I can't see what you are talking about ether?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:30am
Rear deck has a fuel gauge sight glass. In the Holman Moody owners manual it says the engine is supplied with the wiring harness and gauges. So in my thinking if a HM was known to be going in why drill the hole. I can't remember off hand what boat Reid had at Tavares with a HM but I do know mine was the only one there with no sight glass. Art thought by the invoice that my boat was sold to someone the Meloons knew,so I wonder if it was ordered rather than just built

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:36am
It also has the through hulls for a Chrysler. The engine choice may have been an option which was chosen later. The 68 Cuda we had, had the same through hulls for a Chrysler and it had an Interceptor in it, so it had that same useless loop tying the 2 inlets that were not needed together.

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

It also has the through hulls for a Chrysler. The engine choice may have been an option which was chosen later. The 68 Cuda we had, had the same through hulls for a Chrysler and it had an Interceptor in it, so it had that same useless loop tying the 2 inlets that were not needed together.

Bruce,
I noticed the same with John's stang. I was going to ask about it but figured like you did that CC installed them no matter what engine went into the hull.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 11:01am
Gary, I can't say that I've ever seen another 1st gen stang without a fuel sight glass besides yours- including several that have what appear to be factory electronic fuel gauges. We'll need to do through some pictures to see if HM's were handled any differently, as I haven't had a chance to closely inspect as many of tees as I would like. Reid doesn't have any pre-71 stang HM's as far as I know. We should dig up Vondys thread and ask JohnB what his boats have/had. I believe I see a sight glass on this one:

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=200&sort=&pagenum=7

Cc production techniques must have been a little sloppy back then. There are enough engine specific differences to think that they'd probably need to know what a hull was eventually destined to have- things like exhaust outlet size and location (on the engine end) varied between the HM, chryslers and Interceptors. Still, some details are common regardless of the engine, like the dual pickups that Bruce mentioned (all of my 67-71 boats have them regardless of engine). I'm guessing fuel sight glasses probably were handled the same. Not sure why that would have been at all related to engine option anyways, as it would seemingly be an unrelated option?

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:10pm
My Mustang has a hole for a sight gauge. It was covered by installing the trim ring and plexi window, but the window had adhesive backed aluminum tape applied so you couldn't see through it. The light to see the nonexistent gauge was in place and working. You would only know that if you removed the fiberglass rear seat and turned the lights on.
My 69 SS however had this arrangement. It also had dual water pick ups (is that the right word?) Does that mean that the SS boats were not drilled for a gauge and the regular ones were? or does it mean that 70s were drilled and 69s weren't? Does it mean that there is no plan or pattern?

-------------

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:14pm
I like those transoms without the I/O pads. I didn't realize they were on the later models.

John, do you still have that glove box and if so, would you sell it?

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:25pm
Sorry Bruce, I sold the glove box and everything else I didn't need. I believe it was the same one that was in my Mark Twain. It is not unique to CC and was a fairly common accessory used by other manufacturers. You may find one on eBay.

-------------

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:31pm
Bruce I think Tim has reason to believe that the boats with the transom pads are faster,I know Marshall's fits that description! My boat had the light under the deck too,at the time I could not figure it out. It also has the dual pickup's. John what was the serial number on your SS again please. Should have Art look it up too.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I like those transoms without the I/O pads. I didn't realize they were on the later models.

Bruce, I believe both transom were used right to the very end of the 1gen Mustangs run. Most of ours have the pad but not all. I like the look of the pad better but that's probably because it's what I always remember seeing. If my theory is correct, the padded hulls are faster!

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:36pm
Ha, I thought Marshall's boat was fast because it had a hot 340 in it!

Is there more hook in the hulls without the transom pads?

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:46pm
The hot 340 certainly helps! But marshall's (padded) hull needed no changes in response to more power in order to run fast and safe. Reid's baby blue (no pad) needed all the hook ground out of it to run similar speeds with similar power. Olive oyle (pad) ran fast with stock power, as does my '70 (pad). Sages (no pad) wouldn't break 50 with a full top end upgrade, and I don't think royal flush (no pad) did either. The latter runs as bow low as any mustang I've seen- the trick wake was puny!

So yes, my theory is that there were multiple mustang molds (easily identified by the pad) and the padded one had less hook.

Date Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:47pm

John what was the serial number on your SS again please. Should have Art look it up too.

The Mustang no more:
SS2595

My keeper:
M2799

One on my chain:
M2621

-------------

Date Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:07pm
Things have been moving very slow but Art found my invoice
she was born June 6, 1967, Interceptor 165

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:40pm
I forget if the build sheet denotes the model year... June would put you right near the time they switched. If I had to guess id say it's one of the latest 67's as opposed to an early 68.

Date Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:46pm
They don't ,remember CC told me back in 88 that mine was a 68 because it was built 12-68. Was not until you and Reid looked at it and saw the vents that it is a 69.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-04-2015 at 10:29pm
My helper did all the hard work

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: May-04-2015 at 10:35pm
I'm by no means a motor head but my plan of attack is the engine first. Ive been slowly tearing it apart .

It looks like there is a crack that was fixed ?

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: May-04-2015 at 10:37pm

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 10:47am
For some reason I can't up Load photos from my phone anymore

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 11:41am
So I've been tearing down my engine slowly in my garage and the smell from old engine oil does smell up the garage some ha So the wife thought she is cleaver by trying to deodorize things with a air freshener now whats funny is my wife is a smoker and she only smokes in the garage and I can't stand the smell of smoke so this was a way to combat that smell

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 11:47am
[IMG]uploads

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Posted By: ryanibanez88
Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 11:49am
Get that Fram filter off that Block kirk

-------------
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas

Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 11:52am
Ha....Ha      that filter was a bear to get off It has been stuck on there since 199?

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Posted By: ryanibanez88
Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 11:55am
did you have to cut it or us the jaws of life

-------------
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas

Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 12:10pm
Well I think you know the head answer, might as well get yourself a set of gt40p's. Head work is expensive I have as much in a set of standard heads that a local shop did as I have in my,at the time,brand new P's with larger valves.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 12:43pm
Agreed, those heads are anchors now.

Might want to edit the title of this thread now that you've confirmed the boat is a '67!

Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 1:09pm
Where does one go for a set
I've tried to change the title and my profile with no success

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Posted By: halfnelly
Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 2:22pm

Well I think you know the head answer, might as well get yourself a set of gt40p's. Head work is expensive I have as much in a set of standard heads that a local shop did as I have in my,at the time,brand new P's with larger valves.

I know the block has 289 stampings, is it a 289? If so, consider having the P heads planed as well since you'll lose quite a bit of compression with the short 2.87" stroke. The old 289 castings were only 54-56cc chambers. GT-40P's are in the neighborhood of 60cc stock.

Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 7:14pm
This is where I need lots of help is there a particular brand name I should be looking for ebay, summit should I buy assembled , while I'm at new piston rings etc

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

Ha....Ha      that filter was a bear to get off It has been stuck on there since 199?
'You could have at least painted over the orange so we couldn't see it!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: scootdogydog
Date Posted: May-07-2015 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

'You could have at least painted over the orange so we couldn't see it!!!

Pete, I'm going to post a picture of the ski to I picked up near WL. The Fram filter is still in tact :)

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7183" rel="nofollow - 1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP

Date Posted: June-18-2017 at 1:17am
So i need some help it turned out the motor was toast    
need some recommendations on a replacement ?

-------------
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Date Posted: June-18-2017 at 1:32am

So i need some help it turned out the motor was toast    
need some recommendations on a replacement ?

Rebuild the original.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window