Print Page | Close Window

'86 Ski Nautique 2001 Surf Gate

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Ski, Ride and Foot Talk
Forum Discription: Share photos, techniques, discuss equipment, etc.
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34335
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 10:27am

Topic: '86 Ski Nautique 2001 Surf Gate
Posted By: Thaddeus116
Subject: '86 Ski Nautique 2001 Surf Gate
Date Posted: August-06-2014 at 1:22pm
I have searched forums everywhere trying to find a way to "SAFELY" surf a 2001 (Without listing & using any amount of ballast but for me specifically 2010lbs). I couldn't find a thing... So I've started designing a surf gate specific for the 2001. And I'm gonna post all progress here for anyone else trying to do the same!

The First Video is my VERY rudimentary design & initial result.. And man am I impressed!

The Second Video is me surfing the first videos wake (aside from the addition of one extra person in the boat minding the rope & transom radio control.)

This was the ballast setup at the time:

Pretty awesome for a 2001 AND NO LISTING!!!! I hated slamming the boat on one side and praying I wouldn't get swamped by another wake. Now I'm weighted EVENLY and I don’t even have the rub rail under water like I used to! (video 1 shows the rub rail about 6" out of the water)

More to come on this for sure as I Design/Test/Re-Design/Test. I'm pretty excited about this! I feel that it’s totally surfable (for a 2001) and SO safe! (for the amount of weight I'm using) With a little training I'd feel comfortable letting anyone drive. (The first season of surfing was with the same weight towards one side and the boat listed/tilted terribly. I was SO scared of someone swamping the boat that I only got to surf ONCE!! After that I was the designated driver and everyone else got to surf)

UPDATED 8/15/14
Here are some pictures of the VERY rudimentary surf gate. Im currently in the process of fabricating an aluminium gate for both sides. This one is currently clamped to the swim deck.

UPDATED 05/15/15
It's been quite some time since I've updated... or even worked on the gate. Had tons of re-upholstery to do on this Nautique to match the new exterior.

AS FOR THE GATE
I decided to raise the swim platform by 3 inches. Fully weighted it was dragging a bit impeding the wake shape a little. Also viewable in the picture is the aluminum hinge plate for the surf gate. Currently in a test/mach up phase but functioning quite well. Current design plan has two identical hinge plates mounted on each side of the boat. Its a quick attach/detach system with a slide pin adjustment that allows for multiple angles off the hinge to find the best angle for the wake.(can be seen on the left side of the picture)

ABOVE GATE BEING TESTED BELOW

ANOTHER VIEW

This was the ballast set up at the time

Oss!

Thaddeus

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Replies:
Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: August-06-2014 at 2:06pm
Pretty nice can't wait to see the product.

Posted By: AZ1989NAUTI2001
Date Posted: August-06-2014 at 2:33pm
That's sweet. I've been toying with a similar idea for awhile for our 2001. We surf with the boat heavily listed now. I'd like to see some pics of your tabs if possible to try to fab some up for my 2001. Sure would be nice to get a surfable wave without the listing.

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: August-06-2014 at 3:20pm
so is it just ballast placement or is it a bolt on device of some sort?

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Date Posted: August-06-2014 at 4:01pm
It's both ballast placement and the surfgate. No need to weight the boat heavier on one side anymore though.. Weight her even(well... like the picture below) and let the surf gate do the rest!

Plan is to make them on both sides so you can switch between port & starboard surfing in seconds and easily removable if need be. Also I'm gonna see what I can do about making it easily applicable to all 2001's incase anyone else wants one.

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: August-06-2014 at 4:09pm
In order to be a surfer, is a strap on device required??

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-06-2014 at 4:28pm
I just drop some coin to make my boat a serious tubing machine and now tubing is on it's way out? Ouch!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: August-06-2014 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

A little more sadistic than that. It's a bolt on!

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: August-06-2014 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Only in your case Chris, the rest of us are quite adequate with no need for an extension.

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: August-08-2014 at 2:29pm
Crazy how people keep finding ways to repurpose these 2001s. Ski boat > Wake boat > Surf boat

That's pretty cool

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: August-08-2014 at 3:25pm
That's pretty sweet. Please post a pic of this bolt on device if you can.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Posted By: MI-nick
Date Posted: August-13-2014 at 2:28pm
wow, you are really good at standing

-------------
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...

Posted By: Halvey
Date Posted: August-15-2014 at 1:48pm
Despite the general negativity towards surfing, it's awesome to see people innovating and designing versions of the NSS and Surfgate because it is making the sport a little more safe. If a small attached board can produce the same wake that 1200lbs+ in a listing boat can, it would be stupid to not support it.

With that said, definitely add some more pics of how you built/attached it!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6833" rel="nofollow - '83 Ski Nautique

Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: August-15-2014 at 4:21pm
That is excellent. Well done. Looks much more safe than nearly swamping the boat.

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-15-2014 at 4:42pm
Geez. It's already low impact and slow. Now safe and (with FAE) quiet. What is next? Napping behind the boat?

-------------

Date Posted: August-15-2014 at 5:00pm
OOoh, nice Watergate!!

Any concerns that your strap on extended wood will get soft from constantly being in that wet spot??

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: August-15-2014 at 5:12pm
While I still don't see why someone would wake surf more than once maybe twice just to do it.. I give you props for engineering and fabricating a low cost alternative to a 100k boat!

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: August-15-2014 at 5:17pm
The Wakesurfing has kind of an addictive quality to it.

I've done it a few times now at reunions and other Nautique events and had more fun than I thought I would. It's a little more challenging to stay in the "pocket" than I thought it would be as well. It's certainly above tubing on the watersports food chain.

I didn't expect to ever like sailing either, and I also liked that the handful of times I've done it. I think the fun aspect surfing and sailing have in common is that feeling when everything is "dialed in" and you start getting that invisible push.

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: August-15-2014 at 5:41pm
On weekends in WI, when the water is too rough to even trick ski, Surfing provides me to ways to satisfy some basic needs.

First it DOES indeed require more skill then you would think to stay in that pocket and experience that "invisible" push.

Second and more importantly, as everyone around us is pulling tubes round and round churning the lake like a bathtub, I make slow passes back and forth down the middle throwing a monster wave. The worse case result is those nimrod tube drivers have to constantly stop and circle back to pick up the tube rider that inevitably fall off when they hit my wake. The best case result is that a lot of the tuber's pack it in and head back to the shore when they take water over the bow, because they don't know how to handle a large wake.

Another added benie is that it allows guests who have no interest in doing any waterskiing, because they remember the muscle ache that they received post tubing (not from my boat) or skiing in the past. I get a lot of people up on the surfboard with big smiles on their face.

So Thaddeus keep on innovating, I am an avid barefooter and slalom skier, but because I like to use my boat weekends and I only have access to public water littered with crazy's, surfing is a good activity for me AND way better then tubing. Anything that makes it easier, more consistent and can reduce the ridiculous amount of ballast I have to load into the boat is a GOOD thing.

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: August-15-2014 at 7:06pm
I have no problem with the guys in the G25 pulling mad air regardless of the time I see them but really... 99% of the people boarding behind them can barely get over the wake let alone use it.. so now they are really just rocking boats. But I feel you on the it is kinda cool and addicting.

Posted By: boardersdad
Date Posted: August-18-2014 at 4:22am
Thaddeus, I applaud your effort. Can you provide some more pictures from different angles and some basic dimensions? It looks to me like the surf gate is intended to lengthen one side of the hull, so that wake formation is further aft on that side and the point of convergence of the two wakes is shifted to the gate side--allowing the non-gate wake to grow in size. So then I guess the goals would be to (i) keep the gate fairly close to the aft end of the hull, (ii) align the bottom line of the gate with the aft line of the hull, (iii) extend the gate aft as far as the platform provides solid support, (iv) make the gate tall enough so the top remains above the waterline. Does that sound right? I'd still love to see more pics and your basic layout. It could be that you've got something beneath the platform, as well.

Thanks.

Steve

Date Posted: August-18-2014 at 5:11am
I looked around on the web a little bit, and some of my assumptions were way off. (i) and (ii) were correct (keep the gate close to the hull and aligned with the bottom), but (iii) and (iv) were just plain wrong (extending aft and above the waterline are not necessary). Look at these pics of the Malibu surf gate:

http://www.malibuboats.com/assets/images/SURF%20GATE/SURFGATE2014studio.jpg" rel="nofollow - original image

http://waterskimag.com/files/2012/12/SurfGate1.jpg" rel="nofollow - original image

I realize you said your first test is a very rudimentary design, but the bar of the clamp sticking upward and the surf gate top and aft corner sticking up are very, very dangerous if the surfer should do a header into them. (I've noticed a lot of surfers wear a helmet in case they do a header into the platform.) I can't see the clamp bar in your second video, but that thing scares the bejeebers out of me.

I wonder if a shorter gate kept at about the height of the platform but swung outward, would be effective. It would definitely be much safer.

Steve

(edit: add original image links)

Date Posted: August-18-2014 at 1:03pm
Since the video: the clamps have been flipped so that the there are no blunt objects sticking up from the deck. I made my gate different from Malibu's design for a couple reasons. One being the gate seems to protrude out the side of the boat... It looks to be creating a lot of drag while making the delayed convergence. I did not want to replicate Malibu's design for fear there may also be a ton of pressure on that gate which of course would be transferred through the actuator to the hull. I also felt like this would most certainly affect my ability to turn the boat. Another reason I chose a different route then Malibu is the possible spray that may occur with a shallow (height) of the gate AND because the weight I put in the boat puts the swim deck underwater. Testing, Re-Designing & re-testing different lengths and heights of the gate are in the future for sure. A lot of testing is still needed. Now of course all of this is speculation because I have never been behind a Malibu with Surf Gates. But to put my thoughts on paper might make it easier to see why I chose the "Design" I did. Now again keep in mind this is just a pictorial. The gates are not to size and angles and lengths may be exaggerated +/-.

I chose to use a longer gate at an angle ALMOST parallel with the hull. I feel by doing this I MAY be getting the delayed convergence affect WITHOUT unnecessary stress to the hull and little to no drag on the gate itself. Essentially I've made one side of my boat longer than the other instead of Malibu's Design where the gate seems to protrude and drag. I feel my design lets the water continue to slide along the hull and release off the end of the gate as if the starboard side of the hull was just longer than the port side.

I have not been able to do as much testing as I'd like because we've been using the prototype gate on almost every outing. We use a very small stretch of the lake to surf to keep from TRASHING the lake for other riders and fisherman. Luckily the lake we're on is dead during the week... which is why we mostly surf on weekdays.

Oss!

Thaddeus

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Date Posted: August-18-2014 at 9:19pm
Hi Thaddeus,

I do understand your design considerations. Extending the boat hull longer on one side will move the convergence point toward that side. And I agree it places much less load on the gate and hull attachments. There's no question that the Malibu design does protrude into the slipstream and create drag. Their design disrupts the wake flow on that side and moves it outward, moving the convergence point toward that side. I don't think the drag load would be all that bad at 7 to 10 mph, but I'd have to see. The platform brackets aren't designed for side loads but they are pretty beefy, and the side load would transfer through the platform to the far bracket with a large moment arm. My greatest concern would be forgetting the protruding gate is mounted and taking off at speed.

The Malibu video shows a helpful (but scientifically bogus, I'd bet) animation of the wake flow with their surf gates:
http://vimeo.com/83568751#t=0m56s" rel="nofollow - Malibu Animation of Wake Flow

I don't buy into the focus on fast acting gates for transfers all that much (the subject of the last half of the video), but I'm not a surfer, either.

Earlier in the video they have some examples of the wake with one gate extended. Now the Malibu video is with a boat heavily loaded and with gates designed for surfing. It is really interesting to compare their results to what you've achieved with basically one prototype...

2001 prototype gate:

Malibu factory gates:

Given you've reached this without listing the boat heavily to one side and without manufacturer-designed surf gates, your results are amazing. I need to think a bit if it'd be easy to try a small protruding gate.

Thanks for your efforts!

Steve

Date Posted: August-18-2014 at 10:02pm
btw, here's a video of the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtaySYhmAdA" rel="nofollow - Nautique Surf System (NSS) waveplates .

Also, http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39941-poormans-gate/" rel="nofollow - this 12 page thread is worth a read. I don't think the side forces are an issue for the platform brackets.

We haven't even talked about a DIY wedge yet, to avoid all that ballast. Now that would be a mounting nightmare... and not sure there's enough power.

Posted By: halfnelly
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 5:07pm
Here's a really well-engineered NSS copy that a guy made for his 220 with actuators. The same could be done for any hull with different shaped plates:

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?27422-My-Nautique-220-Home-made-NSS-build/page3" rel="nofollow - http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?27422-My-Nautique-220-Home-made-NSS-build/page3

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 10:26pm
I just hope my kids don't get that into surfing. I don't mind a detachable surf gate, but I sure don't want to go through all that effort to fab up something that fancy! Looks good, though. I think I enjoy watching them slalom and wakeboard more than surf...

Posted By: escmanaze
Date Posted: August-24-2014 at 3:13am
That is some awesome engineering you have there. And what a freaking awesome hull the 2001 is!!! Incredible.

And don't heed the haters - within not too many years surfing will be 80% of what you see on the lake and the low pressure, low risk style it brings will be THE reason for growth of boat manufacturers. I don't surf, but I know a revolutionary concept when I see one. It will do to wakeboarding what wakeboarding did to slalom.

Date Posted: August-24-2014 at 1:41pm
I bought the parts for my prototype last night. Hope to have it ready to try over Labor Day weekend. Busy time with my son in football, though.

Date Posted: August-28-2014 at 12:19pm
Prototype is done. Hope to try it out over the holiday weekend. If it's not a dismal failure, I'll post some pics.

Date Posted: August-28-2014 at 12:33pm
Post pics either way!

Nothing revolutionary about surfing behind a boat. It has been around for about 50 years. If you are looking for low pressure and impact stay on the dock. No risk = no reward.

-------------

Date Posted: August-28-2014 at 1:27pm
Gotta say, I don't understand all the hating on surfing. As Steve K explained, when the water gets really choppy you can still surf, and if the kids will enjoy surfing at those times, it's just another use of the boat. It's not about low pressure and impact--my son is a 6' 5" wide receiver who goes over the middle all the time. He's been wakeboarding and slaloming since he was 7 or 8 years old. He doesn't feel that his manhood is threatened by surfing. My daughter prefers to slalom, but also wakeboards and trick skis. She's got nothing against surfing, either. Maybe they're just younger and not as cynical as some of the old "experts" on here.

Date Posted: August-28-2014 at 2:09pm
I suppose I'm being harsh. I appreciate a good surfer (when they aren't trashing the water for anyone else). I'm just not for it, where as tubing I'm definitely against. My own interests or abilities have no bearing on that stance either.

-------------

Posted By: NAUTIQUEjunky
Date Posted: August-28-2014 at 2:14pm
Surfing is fine if they would stay the F...! out of our coves where we pull! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize you don't have to have smooth water to surf.. come on people learn the rules of the lake or stay home! Sorry that was my vent for the day : )

-------------
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

Date Posted: August-28-2014 at 10:35pm
Can't argue with that, Joey!

Kevin, I don't like tubing, either. But some people love it. I don't get it, really. I guess the kamikaze banzai dual tubing might be fun if I was still young and stupid. It doesn't take any effort to learn how to do it, so it's fine for some people who don't boat much. When I was a little kid we tubed on those old black tractor tire tubes with the big metal Schrader valve tube in the middle--talk about stupidly dangerous. As soon as I could ski, I don't think I ever went back on a tube. But we did all sorts of stupid stuff, like starting off the dock on a slalom ski with a 100 ft rope just to flip off the lake cop who bitched that 75 ft was too close, skiing into the dock to grab the pole and swing up onto the dock without getting wet, skiing onto the beach and jumping out of the ski (faceplanted that one once), skiing in really shallow water and getting arms stuck in the mud then praying the boat will arrive before you run out of breath--young and stupid. So now I try to teach my kids to not be as stupid as I was. That doesn't take much, really.

Date Posted: September-03-2014 at 3:36am
Testing delayed due to leaking carb fuel inlet, arghhhhhh.

Posted By: cspruill
Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 11:11am
Boardersdad and Thaddeus - Very impressed with what you guys are doing. I'd like to build something too. Can you guys post pics/ plans/ dimensions of what you have done for your setups? Also, since Boardersdad is pushing his design a little further out into the flow, maybe I'll try something inbetween the two?

camspruill@yahoo.com

Great stuff guys!

-------------
1983 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: September-12-2014 at 10:43pm
Sure, give me a few days. Football games this time of year. It's also in the 40's here, so I've been doing indoor stuff.

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: September-12-2014 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

Sure, give me a few days. Football games this time of year. It's also in the 40's here, so I've been doing indoor stuff.

85 degrees now at 10 pm in Atlanta. We'really just getting into the best time of the year here. Bimini free boating from now until Thanksgiving.                                                                          

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: September-13-2014 at 2:14am
Boardersdad,

I had the same problem. Is it leaking from the fitting where the fuel line attaches to the carb? Are you running the in-flexible fuel line that is more like a brake line? If so, lots of times the line itself gets flared out under the brass fitting and it cannot seat properly. It probably just needs to be replaced. You can remove the fuel line and take it into autozone or napa and they will cut another piece to length and put the correct bends in it. Good luck with the repair.

-------------
1983 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: September-13-2014 at 2:18am
Sorry, should've given you the link.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34538&title=84-sn2001-holley-carb-part" rel="nofollow - carb leak thread

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: September-15-2014 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

When I was a little kid we tubed on those old black tractor tire tubes with the big metal Schrader valve tube in the middle--talk about stupidly dangerous.

Same here, and that Schrader valve had a rectangular metal base with pointed ends, not sure why we never got cut. Seemed like every time we popped a tube the next one we got was bigger, from a skidder or something like that.

That's why I'm not a tubing hater, or any other water activity for that matter. We used to ski, then drop the skis at the dock and take the tube out, see who could stay on. We only had 40 and 50 HP outboard boats in our mid teens, and it was a lot of fun.

I see surfing the same way. I don't plan to get up at 5:30 am to surf, that's skiing time. But, on a hot afternoon with choppy water, why not be in the boat with a bunch of people with smiles on their faces, rather than in a lawn chair.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Posted By: pfelgner
Date Posted: October-22-2014 at 9:47pm
Hey Guys been gonna do this for a few years and never got around to it to my Martinique which I didn't mind weighting out. Sold now have a BFN and don't want to weight it out that much. Did you ever get out and get more pictures. Pat

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Posted By: geecee
Date Posted: May-19-2015 at 11:40am
any further dev on this, did you get a good working option?

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: May-23-2015 at 2:21am
Can't we all just get some foils.

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: May-23-2015 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Can't we all just get some foils.

Date Posted: May-28-2015 at 2:48am
Not yet. We only get three months of decent weather here, and so far it's rained or has been cold. Plus my workload has been ridiculous for months. And little things, like my alternator went on my truck today... tension pulley on my wife's a week ago... my daughter's door handle linkage broke inside the door... tire trouble with one of the boat trailers... I need to retire just so I have time to fart around with all this stuff!

Posted By: TheRinger
Date Posted: June-15-2015 at 1:04am
Hi, brand new poster but have been following tons of topics on here since I picked up my '89 nautique 2001 a few years back, especially this one. I made up a pretty simple gate with things I had around the shop and it works like a charm, in fact I'm almost amazed with how effective it is even without trying much fine tuning. My gate mounts with two clamps but both tucked away almost under the rub rail near the transom, I felt completely safe with the clamps positioned as they were, but I will trim down the clamp posts so they don't stick up so high and maybe fit something over top to ensure there are no jabby metal bits to snag my anything on.
The gate is 24" long, 9" tall and matches the angle of the boat hull at about 8 degrees off of straight vertical. I used another plastic piece that is 9" by 14" in a T to clamp the gate to the swim platform, it is mounted 5 1/2" inches up from the bottom of the gate piece to match the hull at the side of the boat. I used a piece of pressure treated lumber ripped at the 8 degree angle to mount the two together and to be sure it floats (which it does) so it doesn't drop to the bottom of the lake while I'm switching sides (which takes about 20 seconds)   The material I used is 5/8" thick and is similar to cutting board material (HDPE) and was plenty stiff enough.
I ran with two 350# sacs on either side of the doghouse, a 550# in front of the back seat and a 225# sac in the bow, a 130# driver and a 150# passenger on the rear seat of the side of the surfer and the wave was completely surfable for my 230# self on an inland surfer red rocket (pretty big board). I found the wave best at a pretty slow 9 mph for the starboard (goofy foot) side and that an increase to 10.5 made the port (regular foot) side clean enough for my 150# buddy to ride on a ronix cortez 5'4" board.
The boat was obviously over marked capacity but felt completely safe, especially compared to the lean we used to put on it to get a wave we couldn't surf ropeless with. We generally only surf on days there is no flat water to be had on the lake (drag lake) and this makes a great option without any significant investment to have a bit of fun mid afternoon when the water isn't great..
will have pics up soon...

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: June-15-2015 at 2:00am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdDs2mATVxU" rel="nofollow - This Is Surf

Posted By: motorheadskier
Date Posted: June-15-2015 at 2:08am
I have built 5 or 6 now...   every time I change the size or angle or whatever...   Had a killer wake today!   my plywood is 13 inches by 29 inches.   i put about 5 degrees turned out and the upright is sitting at about 75 degrees

The big turning point of my wake was going from straight up and down (90 degree angle) to turning it out to 75 ish...   gonna try a longer piece of plywood later this week... and want to try turning out the angle even more... but right now this is a real fun wave!

Date Posted: June-15-2015 at 11:13am
I have been searching and researching so many different set ups... I build this one because I am able to take it apart and tweak it to different angles and sizes in about 10 min. Like I said I have taken out a bunch so far... and this one has been best.   Here is a link to a video a friend shot yesterday. Last year was my first year with a boat and I just bought this one a couple weeks ago so i am still learning a lot.   Exited to have found a place with other 2001 owners!

https://youtu.be/MiDE9DEy01A

I will keep posting as I experiment with different angles... Once I have it perfect I will be making a much nicer set up but this is what works for now... I have 3 built right now so I can go out and try 3 different angles and sizes each time I go out.

Date Posted: June-15-2015 at 2:16pm
Motorhead, what have you been running for ballast?

Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 12:42am
I have a 35 gallon trash can on each side in the back corners about 3/4 full... i can fill more if I have more people up front but with just 2 other people it won't plane out... I have a 540 bag in between and I have an 800 on either side of the motor... they are not full since they are squeezed in there.. you can see them in the video also...   I also have 2 batteries and they are mounted far forward in the bow... I do think a bit more bow weight would help since as soon as someone moves to the back the wake washes out and my pocket shrinks...   but you can see in the video I can get way out there and come back... I will get some better video soon and keep ya posted as to how the next set up works... it is still a work in progress but wanted to show my results so others could use them and progress .

Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 1:00am
Holy &$#@, well over 2,000 lbs. but what really surprises me is how much you have in the stern half of the boat, nearly all your weight there. I don't know much about weighting boats for surfing, but seems like when I've seen that much weight in a boat there's a few hundred in the ski locker and maybe 300 in the bow. I'm really surprised you don't sink a gunwale.

Just wanted to add, I'm not criticizing, just commenting!

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 1:51am
Please get rid of the ski rope.

It will take a finger off when it wraps around your hand in a fall. .

Get a 1 inch diameter nylon rope & put knots in it for hand holds.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 5:28pm
Last season was my first time owning a boat... And I just got this one in April... Just learning...   I will get different rope next trip.   I don't have a ski locker and not much weight up front thinking I need more.

Posted By: xarmypilot
Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by motorheadskier motorheadskier wrote:

I have a 35 gallon trash can on each side in the back corners about 3/4 full... i can fill more if I have more people up front but with just 2 other people it won't plane out... I have a 540 bag in between and I have an 800 on either side of the motor... they are not full since they are squeezed in there.. you can see them in the video also...   I also have 2 batteries and they are mounted far forward in the bow... I do think a bit more bow weight would help since as soon as someone moves to the back the wake washes out and my pocket shrinks...   but you can see in the video I can get way out there and come back... I will get some better video soon and keep ya posted as to how the next set up works... it is still a work in progress but wanted to show my results so others could use them and progress .

Not a hater, actually, I love the idea behind the concept - but with only a 1110lb load rating from the USCG, that's a DNR ticket or worse just wait'in to happen.

-------------
'87 SN 2001
http://mbbw.com/WIP/DSCN9620.JPG" rel="nofollow - '68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"

Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 6:48pm
Pretty much anyone that is boarding or surfing a boat not originally made for ballast is exceeding the USCG rating. My 21' Sport has I think a 1,250 lb. rating, and when we wakeboard we put a pair of 400# bags on either side of the doghouse. That 800, plus a driver and spotter and misc. gear puts us right at or over the limit. Add any additional weight as many boarders, and all surfers, do, or another person or two, and you're going to be well over. Just a fact of life if you make your boat work for the sport rather than go buy a purpose built boat.

-------------

Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 10:22pm
Police patrol the small lake we go to all the time... have even said hello a few times...   They have seen me out there at least 3 times up close and haven't said anything...   Let ya know if that changes.   

Date Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:07am
Got the adjustable aluminum surf gate made and assembled. Gonna try to get it tested this weekend. She's just tossed together right now... gotta get stuff tightened up but had to make a video.

This is what she looks like

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:31am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

.... up on the surfboard with big smiles on their face.

So Thaddeus keep on innovating, I am an avid barefooter and slalom skier, but because I like to use my boat weekends and I only have access to public water littered with crazy's, surfing is a good activity for me AND way better then tubing. Anything that makes it easier, more consistent and can reduce the ridiculous amount of ballast I have to load into the boat is a GOOD thing.

Was just going back through this thread, I believe this might have been my last post before my accident (a little freaky...). I am no longer a barefooter or a slalom skier, hoping that in a year or two, I can at least surf. So if you figure this out, I will probably replicate your design. It is simple, removable and looks good. Can't wait to see the video of it in action. Keep at it!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: Treybizttu
Date Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:38am
Cool thread.... Surfing isn't exactly my thing but my knees and femoral nail want me to consider it. I've been watching a lot of these old school boat with surf gate threads. Keep up the good work.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:55am

Police patrol the small lake we go to all the time... have even said hello a few times...   They have seen me out there at least 3 times up close and haven't said anything...   Let ya know if that changes.   

Here is the requisite old fart post. I tend to be a bit of a safety Nazi out on the water. I've seen too many accidents, close calls injuries and even a death not to be. Sadly, I don't think most safety patrols know what to look for. We have a new one on our lake. All he is concerned with is registration stickers and generating literally NO WAKE in the no wake zone. He stopped my son and about 20 other people his first or second day on the job for creating a wake. My son was literally idling. Meanwhile they ignore overloaded boats, clearly insufficient numbers of life jackets, idiot tube drivers corkscrewing around the lake watching the tuber and not where they are going, people riding on back decks.....

Some rules are just rules and can be a pain, others are not only rules but actually a good idea. The other day I was on pulling a friend. There was another guy out pulling a wake boarder with no observer. The rider fell, but the driver never noticed. I kept pointing back to where the rider should have been but the driver would just wave and smile and kept driving along. He finally caught on.

Obviously a boat that weighted down is at risk of swamping. Seems like a pretty big risk just to surf ("If surfing were any harder, they'd call it tubing")

]

all that being said.....enjoy, if you aren't hurting anyone and you are having fun, go for it, and 2 - I do applaud the creativity and ingenuity you guys are showing.

-------------

Date Posted: June-17-2015 at 10:14pm
Have you guys seen Thaddeus' new video on youtube? This looks like the best design I've seen yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWjWO1-zBjo

-------------
1983 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: June-17-2015 at 10:46pm
Luv the 1st and 3rd pic Larry!

I would think that the Ultimate Surf Boat would be a 36ft or + cabin cruiser. You could prepare a lovely dinner, surf and have a potty all from the same vessel.

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:25pm
Betcha #1's daily driver is a low rider. ....

And they all seem so casual about it.

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: June-18-2015 at 1:05am
I have been riding on a surf board with very little ballast (400lbs),    No way I can let go of the rope so it ain't surfing.

Not sure what to call it, but my body doesn't hurt afterwards.

I'll try making a gate to see if it helps.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: June-18-2015 at 11:37am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I'll try making a gate to see if it helps.

Chris, I was thinking the same thing. As I've read this thread I was never thinking of making one myself, but with the success of some of these rigs I might try it out, would be nice to not have to add the 2,000 lbs.!

-------------

Date Posted: June-18-2015 at 11:53am
If you guys find a way to surf it with less than 2,000lbs PLEASE share your set up!

My gate shapes the wake great even with no weight... but without the weight the wake is just mush and not surfable (for adults anyways... I bet kids could jam on it )

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Date Posted: June-20-2015 at 3:10pm
From what we've discovered a bigger board makes a huge difference when it comes to surfing smaller wakes like ours, last year we bought a ronix cortez 4'8" and neither my wife or I could go without the rope, we picked up a bigger board - 5'6" and we could both ride without any trouble. I'm a pretty big tall dude at about 225 lbs we can ride ropeless with under 1700 lbs - ballast and people included

Date Posted: June-20-2015 at 11:59pm
If you look at the 2001's hull at the transom, you see our these boats have a built-in wedge (circled in red below) design. At slower speeds, usually 18-24mph, this creates a real nice wake. At slalom speeds, the wake flattens out to produce the nice table we all love. This is why the 2001's are a pretty good multi-purpose boat.

So unless you are out surfing with linebackers, you can usually add some ballast (400lbs seems about perfect) to help deepen the pocket but still stay well within the safe load weight.

Jeff's a 100% spot on - a longer board will definitely help. With a longer board you're placing a larger surface in the pocket - basically distributing more surface tension over a larger area.

I bet someone (handier then me ) could easily fab up a pulley operated hydraulic surfgate using a small pump running off the engine. Getting the overall shape right would probably require a little trial and error, but that's half the fun.       

-------------
'87 SN 2001
http://mbbw.com/WIP/DSCN9620.JPG" rel="nofollow - '68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)

Date Posted: June-23-2015 at 11:20am
got one built for both sides now...   we are using a 48" hyperlite

Date Posted: June-23-2015 at 11:47am
She looks like she's listing quite a bit... Where's the water in relation to the rub rail when you're underway???

get some video up!

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Date Posted: June-23-2015 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Larry, any idea where this pic was taken??

Sure looks like right off our beach (Holiday Point) on Candlewood???

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: June-23-2015 at 1:07pm
I didn't, because it is just a google pic, so I checked back and ding ding ding, we have a winner.

http://www.newstimes.com/policereports/article/18-year-old-pulled-from-Candlewood-Lake-581827.php" rel="nofollow - http://www.newstimes.com/policereports/article/18-year-old-pulled-from-Candlewood-Lake-581827.php

-------------

Date Posted: June-23-2015 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Thaddeus116 Thaddeus116 wrote:

She looks like she's listing quite a bit... Where's the water in relation to the rub rail when you're underway???

get some video up!

Judging from the angle of the wake from the transom, it appears to be that the boat was in a left hand turn then turned right. These would be normal conditions where you'd see a bit of a list.

+1 to the need for video - that'd be helpful to judge the wake size, shape, and angle in relation to the boat's travel.

-------------
'87 SN 2001

Date Posted: June-23-2015 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by xarmypilot xarmypilot wrote:

Judging from the angle of the wake from the transom, it appears to be that the boat was in a left hand turn then turned right. These would be normal conditions where you'd see a bit of a list.

Spot On! I missed that.

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Date Posted: June-27-2015 at 10:53am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqW0a3xt270" rel="nofollow - Last night...

Less people in the boat... smaller wave... still has a good pocket

Date Posted: June-27-2015 at 10:56am
https://youtu.be/MiDE9DEy01A" rel="nofollow - friends edit

one of my friends shot this a couple weeks ago... you can see how far away you can get

Date Posted: June-27-2015 at 11:17am
Nice job! Those are some pretty tasty waves you guys have going there, lots of room for shredding.

I'm curious, how long is the board you're buddy's riding? Is it 160+ cm ?

-------------
'87 SN 2001

Date Posted: June-28-2015 at 12:04am
Its a 4' I don't know what that breaks down to in cm?   48 inches its pretty short my buddy can't ride it I think he is too heavy.   but I love it.   I am about 170 lbs and I have a couple other friends that ride behind the boat that love it and weigh anywhere from 150 to 180.   

Date Posted: June-28-2015 at 11:25am

Its a 4' I don't know what that breaks down to in cm?   48 inches its pretty short my buddy can't ride it I think he is too heavy.   but I love it.   I am about 170 lbs and I have a couple other friends that ride behind the boat that love it and weigh anywhere from 150 to 180.   

Don't be afraid to go bigger - your board size will be just as important as the size and shape of the wake.

Bigger boards 5' and up will have more surface area, more "float", and generate speed more easily. This makes them a great option for bigger riders and riders who are riding behind a smaller wake. Plus the increased float also makes them a great option for beginners.

Smaller wakesurf boards under 5' are great for advanced riders and lightweight riders. These smaller boards are easier to maneuver and air out of the wave, making them the board of choice for most advanced riders. These boards don't offer as much surface area as bigger boards, so they usually require a larger wave with more push.

-------------
'87 SN 2001

Posted By: DayTony
Date Posted: June-28-2015 at 1:41pm
I havent had much of desire to surf behind my boats but i[ve been following this thread a bit because alot of my friends talk about it. I'm surprised noone here has mentioned or tried the low pro style trim tabs. seems like they would do the same as the newer nautique gates are. (the slid out style)
but its would be a complete bolt on system, low profile and from what i can gather it would accomplish the same thing as this design would.

I installed these on a 37 Duffy with my captain a couple years ago and it made a world of difference and they are a nice piece.
We are usually loaded up with 3000# of ice another 600# of bait 500 gals of #2 under the deck and with a 100Gal fuel bladder on the back deck for lack of anyplace else to put it. I could have just said we were heavy but now you get the idea of how heavy. On our steam out she would sit real low in the back and as soon as we installed these tabs (2 per side) we would run them on the way out and the bow would sit lower and we went from 20-21 gallons an hour steam down to 19. point is they work amazing and don't need as much purchase on the hull as a lot of the designs ive seen.
We've run these for 3-4 seasons now and we run them fully extended at 19 knts for 8-10 hours at a time. I wouldBe inclined to mount these to my nautique before i went building some big offensive gate that i had to lug around.(no offense to those who have)

here is a short version of them(ours are the 18" ones)

http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Penta/Parts%20brochures/QL%20-%20Boat%20Trim%20System%20-%20Eng.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Penta/Parts%20brochures/QL%20-%20Boat%20Trim%20System%20-%20Eng.pdf
The only thing that is extrememly important when mounting these things is they have to be mounted on a FLAT suface. We glassed in a piece of FRP bolted to some angle iron to keep the surface flat while the epoxy set.
Would like to see someone try a set of these. I bet they work.

-------------
1988 Barefoot nautique-454

Date Posted: June-30-2015 at 12:13am
The Nautique surf system definitely looks pretty sweet, there is a forum out there where an air nautique 220 has been outfit with that type of system using a couple actuators, if I remember correctly he had made up a bunch of 'plates' of different sizes, shapes and depths to see which worked best..   That being said adding trim tabs is a completely different ball game than the d.i.y. style gates most of us have made with materials we had lying around, even Thaddeus' sweet system is pretty much non invasive and doesn't involve any serious modifications to the hull like glassing any extras in. These also allow for plenty of room for experimentation since many 2001 owners have discovered that even fairly slight changes in weighting and setup can make a huge difference on the wake shape,,
just my 2 cents,
great to see all these setups!
p.s. I recently made up a longer gate out of aluminum @ 28" x 12" and found that it made minimal difference over my original 24"x 9" piece,, a slight change in angle had more effect it seemed than the extra length, might try a shorter 20" gate and play with the pitch a bit like motorheads setup this weekend,
cheers!

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: July-02-2015 at 1:04pm
http://www.wakemakers.com/wavecontrol" rel="nofollow - WaveControl - should double the value of your boat.

Posted By: DayTony
Date Posted: July-14-2015 at 3:53am
Thats essentially a trim tab with an adjustable tab on it, doing about the same thing the volvo tabs do, but the difference i see is the volvo ones are 100% less offensive in my eyes sitting on the transom than any concoction I have seen built, to date.
i'm sure they would require someone to pony up and do some R&D but theres no real evidence saying they won't do what all these other "tabs" do.
I bet either, one large one on either side or two strategically placed smaller ones would attain the same results, and not require such a massive piston setup.

-------------
1988 Barefoot nautique-454

Date Posted: July-28-2015 at 11:08pm

finally got some footage of it in action,,, about 1800 lbs including ballast and people, definitely over marked capacity but still felt stable and safe, https://youtu.be/wPP0YvQlQvc" rel="nofollow - '89 ski nautique 2001 homebrew surfgate

Date Posted: July-29-2015 at 12:16am
That is awesome! Are you selling them? Would love to buy one if you are!

-------------
1983 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: July-29-2015 at 1:55am
Pretty impressive wake for a 2001! Nice work on the design.

I hate to be the guy mentioning safety stuff, but I'd like to see that edge and corner of the aluminum plate covered with something. Maybe cut a slot in some PVC pipe and push it onto the edge. It might seem unlikely but if anyone hit that corner there would be a lot of stitches involved.

-------------

Date Posted: July-29-2015 at 9:00am
'63 - you're absolutely right, that thing will definitely leave some damage as is... I've got a grey pool noodle sliced and fixed to the top of it and slotted tennis balls on the clamp ends,
Cheers

Date Posted: July-30-2015 at 3:49pm
Terrible Quality Video... But this is my set up as of last night with my Aluminum Surfgate.

HD Video to come when I get home....

UPDATED (HD VIDEO NOW)

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Date Posted: July-30-2015 at 8:40pm
I give in - Where was that camera mounted?

Way cool wake, esp for port side.

BTW, a thick rope is much safer than a ski rope for surfing.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: July-30-2015 at 11:55pm
I can't view the video, just coming up as a blank box for me. Could you post a link?

-------------

Date Posted: July-31-2015 at 1:53am
Nice wave your getting pretty far back! I moved my big bags more forward and am able to ride further out...   Having too much fun haven't messed with a new angle but I did get 2 newbies up 2 nights ago on my short board without much trouble...   Gonna make a better surfgate this winter...   Till then I will try to film some waves

Date Posted: July-31-2015 at 2:01am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I give in - Where was that camera mounted?

Way cool wake, esp for port side.

BTW, a thick rope is much safer than a ski rope for surfing.

I have a GoPro mounted on a 4ft PCV Pipe in my right hand.

I totally agree, I'll switch to a different rope.

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Date Posted: July-31-2015 at 2:03am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I can't view the video, just coming up as a blank box for me. Could you post a link?

UPDATE https://youtu.be/HexCEqy1OBU?version=3&vq=hd720" rel="nofollow - HD VIDEO NOW

Still low quality. I'll upload 1080p version ASAP

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Date Posted: July-31-2015 at 10:19am
Thanks for the link. That's an impressive wake for a 2001!!!

-------------

Date Posted: July-31-2015 at 1:32pm
ANOTHER VIEW

Gets a shot of the gate in there. Might even be able to take her down flush with the swim deck!!

Here's the link also http://youtu.be/9dYlLKkD6z0?version=3&vq=hd720" rel="nofollow - WakeSurf the 2001 (2)

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Date Posted: July-31-2015 at 3:15pm
Nice looking port side wave for sure!   I've been having a hell of a time getting the wave to clean up on that side for regular foot riders, speeding up to about 11mph (I ride at 9 for goofy side and it is nearly perfectly clean) helps but by then the wave size really starts to dissipate,, tried a little steeper angle on the gate and that seems to make a bit of a difference too,, If I remember correctly you (thaddeus) had raised your swim platform a bit, did that make a difference? any other tips for getting rid of the wash on the port side wave?

Date Posted: July-31-2015 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by TheRinger TheRinger wrote:

Nice looking port side wave for sure!   I've been having a hell of a time getting the wave to clean up on that side for regular foot riders, speeding up to about 11mph (I ride at 9 for goofy side and it is nearly perfectly clean) helps but by then the wave size really starts to dissipate,, tried a little steeper angle on the gate and that seems to make a bit of a difference too,, If I remember correctly you (thaddeus) had raised your swim platform a bit, did that make a difference? any other tips for getting rid of the wash on the port side wave?

We have been riding between 10.5-11 mph dependent on how many people are along for the ride. With the boat plowing as much as it does there was a lot of drag on the swim deck creating upward pressure on the bottom. It had so much pressure in fact it actually pulled the bottom screw out of the mounting bracket about a 1/4 inch. Which made me decide to raise the deck 3 inches with aluminum I-beam.

I also rearranged the weight in the boat which helped a ton! Here's my current Port Surf Setup
(The 150lbs in the back seat is used if there's only the driver in the boat otherwise we just sit a body back there.)

That's all I've done to surf the port.. Hopefully that helps ya... try using your 2 800lbs bags and that 1 540lbs bag to match the layout I'm running?????

-------------
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Print Page | Close Window