Forum Discription: Anything non-Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35585
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 3:06am

Topic: first house *major project*
Posted By: Hollywood
Subject: first house *major project*
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 3:57pm
Current state
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/front1.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Refreshing the outside with a scheme similar to this.
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/trim2.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Opening up the front entry way stairs.
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/front3.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Side parking and boat port.
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/port4.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

LOTS of work on the inside. All new flooring and painting every wall and ceiling. Bathroom and kitchen are manageable. Updates on that later.

Garage is 24.5 deep but low ceiling. My SN should barely clear but not a v-hull.

My ski club is at the right side of the green line (4.5 miles long), and the PLBC boats are at the left side. House is the red diamond, my 88 SN will be parked at the white diamond.
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/TLA_1.png.html" rel="nofollow">

skutch has already planned out the new barn on the vacant 240x80 property behind the house. That property is technically 6 lots with 3 different owners.
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/newbarn.png.html" rel="nofollow">

And I'm getting married in November. No babies are dogs to report.

Replies:
Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 4:07pm
Going to look nice. It is evident that a "ladies touch" is present (get used to it )

I think Steve is onto something. Make sure it has multiple overhead hoists for lifting rings and engine swaps. (kind of like Pete's) Maybe quinner will cut you a deal for modified plans.

As time goes on, you will be mixing the man cave (i.e. garage) projects with the Honey-do projects, but you will find that there really is time for both.   

Nice to have all that water right out your back door. Nice set up.

-------------

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 4:44pm
Wholly crap..... HW is gonna get hitched !!
Congrats dude !! You two seem perfect for each other..

Now the real growing up part haha.. Getting that house ready for a huge CCFAN blow out bachelor party !!!! So get to work my friend...

House will be kick'n by the way.. Oh and I like the idea of a Midwest BBC !!!! Right on..

Moj'

PS: I work right at the intersection of 12 and P. Let me know if you ever need a hand...

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:06pm
You're thinking about throwing gravel? Give that a lot of thought. I did that at my old house. What a nightmare, had to buy a new house just to get away from the ***king gravel.

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:14pm
Did you just offer to pick up the tab for concrete? I am unlikely to recover much investment in the property. Add-ons need to be economical. This isn't a long-term permanent residence.

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:41pm
Congrats Kevin!    Concrete in many of our counties up north is considered as permanent and is taxed on your property bill accordingly. Gravel or asphalt or pavers are considered more temporary. Gravel in my town is not allowed. You could count on one hand the people who had them,they at one time were not in the city limits,but now must pave them. The town itself had several gravel roads that they turned over to the home owners,wonder if they will have the cojones to make them pave----

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: SWANY
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:42pm
Glad to give help when needed

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:43pm
When you get to the siding if you need an aluminum plank Kirchens borrowed my 20'er about 5 yrs ago, one way trip to this point, probably right there in his back yard!!

Be sure and look at the tax bill vs purchase price, Not sure how it works in wisco, but in lake county ill they will adjust, just get the paperwork in right away. Just did that at my new place and knocked $5k off the bill

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

PS: I work right at the intersection of 12 and P. Let me know if you ever need a hand...

So Dave you work at the International House of Wine and Cheese.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:46pm
Close, across the street in the industrial park.. Go there for lunch sometimes haa

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:49pm
Best of Luck!! Both the new house and bride. Yeah, hold off on the kids, I can rent you a couple if the notion arises.

-------------
Js

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:56pm
Oh, gravel's not that bad. Had it at the last place, have it at this one. I bet 98% of the neighborhood is gravel. Wouldn't be my first choice when it comes to clearing snow off it,(been there done that, too) but I have a feeling this is the "3-season" home and won't see THAT much action in the winter.

-------------

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:05pm
I will patch all the screw holes from the phone and cable lines zig zagging around the entire house but am hiring a painting crew.

Pretty much every driveway longer that 40' is gravel around there. I won't be shoveling it either, Larry is spot on. It's for parking boats and trailers. The permeability will be welcomed.

-------------

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:12pm
hey Kev, what are you going to do with the air conditioning unit? Relocate to where to get it out from under the "Boat-Port" ?

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:17pm
Gravel is just fine! Paint is easy to do yourself... Sheetrock may be worth hiring out.

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:29pm
If you get replacement windows, have them cut the sills down a bit so that you can get taller, more modern looking windows. Makes a huge difference in looks and the cost is nominal.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:42pm
I agree on the taller windows, that would dress up the house nice. Hanging sheet rock is easy, it is the muddin & Tapin that is the worst! I gotta guy for that, he is good and cheap. Let me know and I'll get you his name, he is in Waukesha, so a straight shot south.

Welcome to 'sconny my friend, we'll make you into a cheese head soon enough!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:47pm
Hey instead of the gravel, you might want to think about this (I call it driveway lattice, who knows what it is really called):

It actually looks nice, but provides you the "hardscape" for extra parking.

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:58pm
That's some fancy grass. I do like it. I actually like gravel too though. Gravel is probably the quickest and cheapest AND comes in dark gray, plus low maintenance!

I can 'rock, there isn't much to do other than patch up some water damaged walls in the garage. We're just painting the paneling inside. I like the texture it provides and don't see much reason to create more work removing it.

A/C will move behind the back corner of the house on that same side.

The windows are double pane, will leave them alone for now. The frames are quickly rotting out though. I'll replace them as needed.

I'm working on sketching the backyard deck. A very good friend is a deck guy.

Go Bears?!

-------------

Posted By: Okie Boarder
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 7:24pm
Nice...those touches will definitely make it look good. Congrats on everything!

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 7:28pm
Kevin,
Fantastic news. Keep us posted.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 9:21pm
Congrats. If you go the detached garage route I have a set of plans for a 24 x 28 with steel beam supporting second floor storage. Works pretty good for the 206 and storage.

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: JDD33
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 9:23pm
Hey Kevin!

Congratulations to you and Jackie on the house and your engagement!

New house, new wife,..new boat?

Best wishes! John ,Lisl ,and family!

-------------
Old school goin back to school!

Posted By: JMurph
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:32pm
That's some exciting stuff. The house looks like fun. Congrats to you and Jackie too!!! You two make it look so easy. Keep up the good work.

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:57pm
Nice house. Getting married?. Congratulations! Good for you guys. I guess it's official, you've grown up on this web site.

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-21-2015 at 12:42am
Grown *older. Not grown *up.

Posted By: davidg
Date Posted: March-21-2015 at 1:15am
Congrats on the engagement Kevin! That is great news!

If you need some landscaping for the new house, let me know. I started Gwinn Landscaping in 2001 when I needed to buy a huge number of bushes, shrubs, trees, and hedges. My wholesale costs to you. I work for beer. Craft beer though!!

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: March-21-2015 at 5:51am
Oh God no! HW is crossing the line into the zone of the "normal people"

The world is coming to an end!!

Congrats bro

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: Waldo
Date Posted: April-04-2015 at 7:31pm
Time to pass on the nickname. We have lost a legend.

Waldo

Date Posted: April-04-2015 at 8:21pm
Yup. Getting married. Won't be long before Hollywood becomes Hollywilt

-------------

Posted By: Waldo
Date Posted: April-04-2015 at 8:46pm
One of these days somebody will listen to Quinner.

Waldo

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: April-04-2015 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Yup. Getting married. Won't be long before Hollywood becomes Hollywilt

That's funny!
Will we all be invited to the wedding?

-------------
Js

Date Posted: April-05-2015 at 1:58pm
Gimme a break.

Still tearing out stinky carpeting and subfloor. The more we remove the better it smells.

Plenty of electrical and plumbing surprises.

-------------

Posted By: SWANY
Date Posted: May-13-2015 at 4:20pm
Not sure what made me think of this, how about an update, hows it going with the house?

Date Posted: May-13-2015 at 4:54pm
Most of the old flooring is out but still have the kitchen floor to remove. That will require most work having to carve around the cabinet toe kicks. Not sure the cabinets will ever go back in if I take them out now.

Floor joist/foundation repair needed in dining room corner of house. Then plywood underlayment, then paint, then new floor to be installed. A little drywall repair behind where the new water soften will go, a few plumbing repairs needed.

LOTS of cleaning still going on, inside and outside. Been cutting off cable coax and phone line strung all over the place.

Landscaping is now a small priority, dandelions coming in strong!

Cars and boats moving in clogging up workspace.

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: May-13-2015 at 5:39pm
I am nearly two years into my house project my list looked very similar to you yours and have only gotten through the nasty flooring removal and major cleaning aspects... but that's about it.   Good thing you guys are younger than me... I never factored in how much time would go to lawn maintenance, snow removal, docks, on going cleaning, etc, between that and work responsibilities I changed my 5 year goals to 15 year goals and they are still a long shot.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: scootdogydog
Date Posted: May-13-2015 at 5:47pm
Good work HW! I most of us have the problem of boats and cars taking up our workspace. When I had the '86, mustang, and python in the garage, I had to go under the boats to get to the other side...After trading the 86 for a tique and moving the python outside, I have so much space! Although now the driveway is full. Hopefully you'll have better luck on the driveway/garage decision

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7183" rel="nofollow - 1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: May-13-2015 at 5:53pm
Good to hear you're chugging along HW. Joe if it makes you feel any better. Mom & Dad bought a 1893 Victorian home in 1982 and Dad had a 15 year window to get it fully restored back to original. Y'all know he recently passed only he only got about 80-85% of it done some 33years later. He built one heck-of-a work/woodshop garage to complete this task that Pete and Alan would love.

Keep plugging away at it youse guys!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: May-13-2015 at 6:16pm
Well Joe luckily my house is small (1200 sqft) and I have a helper who is even more determined than me. Show ski season has started which is also chipping into my time, not to mention I've been on the road for work 3 of the last 4 weeks.

Seems like every isle at Menard's has something I need for the house. First mortgage payment was made this week.

-------------

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: May-14-2015 at 11:57am
Congrat !!!!!!!!!!!

The years will fly by. Hang on !!!!!!! Do not blink !!!!!!

Donald

Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: May-14-2015 at 1:33pm
Congrats guys!
Throw a kegger and ask everyone to bring a paint brush :)

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-14-2015 at 7:08pm
Keep up with all the work but, I will say you will never finish. I've been in this house since 76 and it's still a work in process!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: May-15-2015 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I am nearly two years into my house project my list looked very similar to you yours and have only gotten through the nasty flooring removal and major cleaning aspects... but that's about it.   Good thing you guys are younger than me... I never factored in how much time would go to lawn maintenance, snow removal, docks, on going cleaning, etc, between that and work responsibilities I changed my 5 year goals to 15 year goals and they are still a long shot.

Ya, well, get married and see how fast that schedule is moved up :)

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Print Page | Close Window