Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36794
Printed Date: April-30-2024 at 3:55pm

Topic: trailrite bad shock
Posted By: steve a
Subject: trailrite bad shock
Date Posted: July-19-2015 at 5:19pm
I was towing my boat to the lake and notice that when you started to drive off it would hit pretty hard in a back and forward type motion.I believe it going to be the the shock is bad, not damping any more. I guess one of my questions is it worth replace the shock it self, or replace the whole actuator. I do have plans to go on another trip next week and wondering if run it like this would hurt the trailer. Because as we all no getting the part or having to be ordered putting in on in a weeks time. Well it Sucks . I have done it before. If that what it take to get the boat in the water. That's price you pay

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-19-2015 at 7:12pm
Steve,
What was hitting? Were the springs allowing the trailer frame to bottom out on the stops? Keep in mind it's the springs or torsion bars that support the load. Shocks are there only to control repetitive bouncing.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-19-2015 at 8:37pm
He's talking about the dampner up in the coupler Pete for the surge brakes.,#4 in the picture . Could be too that you have lost pressure in your brakes due to a leak in the system or in the master cylinder and the noise is coming from the coupler moving back and forth. You'll have to do some checking.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-19-2015 at 9:02pm
Gary,
Thanks for catching my misunderstanding. Even though I have a trailer with shocks, they are pretty rare however, I'm not familiar with the Trailrite so since Steve stated shock and not dampener or coupler, I got mislead.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-20-2015 at 3:19am
Sorry about that. Yes it would be the damper. I was also wondering if there air in the system could that be the problem. Hopefully I will just need to bleed the brakes. Is that the best place to start. If not l guess I will need some instructions on taking a part the actuator. If it's master cylinder or damper. Or is it better to replace the whole thing. They look very bulky

Date Posted: July-20-2015 at 3:23am
Sorry about that. Yes it would be the damper. I was also wondering if there air in the system could that be the problem. Hopefully I will just need to bleed the brakes. Is that the best place to start. If not l guess I will need some instructions on taking a part the actuator. If it's master cylinder or damper. Or is it better to replace the whole thing. They look very bulky probably not a good idea to tow it like this. I do a 2500 dodge ram pulls it like nothing there ..Thanks

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-20-2015 at 8:55am
It's worth trying to bleed the air out. If that doesn't fix it maybe you can maybe lock it out for your upcoming trip.

By the time you buy all the parts to rebuild it (usually the master is worn out too), you can get a new unit for not much more.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: July-20-2015 at 5:42pm
Thanks I will probably do that. If it the master cylinder. I just might take you advise and lock it . I be with out brakes to trailer I did drive it to lake and back with no problems this trip is a little longer drive ,but I will have to   take it easy stay in the slow lane .Should be ok .Thanks for the advice. I hate to cancel the trip .l also have other family members are   going who also have a boat. But we mainly use mine for skiing and wake boarding

Print Page | Close Window