Print Page | Close Window

Buckethead 2016

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Ski, Ride and Foot Talk
Forum Discription: Share photos, techniques, discuss equipment, etc.
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38001
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 3:04pm

Topic: Buckethead 2016
Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Subject: Buckethead 2016
Date Posted: January-22-2016 at 9:20am
So there has been much talk about the times had at the Buckethead 2015 and the upcoming 2016 edition. With that said, thought it would be best to organize a thread to host the names of those interested in participating, training tips, gear suggestions, driving suggestions etc.

I have reached out to another member about fielding a team and giving this a go on Saturday and then hanging for the fun event on Sunday.

Counting on those who have skied this event previously to chime in and give some guidance of expectations etc.

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Replies:
Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: January-22-2016 at 10:21am
any idea what the dates are? I'm interested, but will certainly need some time to plan

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: January-22-2016 at 11:28am
I've been trying to get in touch with Brian regarding the 2016 date, but have been unsuccessful so far. I would imagine we're probably looking at 8/20 or 8/27.

A few links that might be useful or interesting:

http://bhbarefoot.com" rel="nofollow - Official Buckethead Website

Official 2015 video:
https://youtu.be/IRuLF0QTXb8" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/IRuLF0QTXb8

Huge Midgets (Corvette boat) start video... these guys came in 3rd, behind Top Gun and Jim Bragg's team with the out-of-town ringers:
https://youtu.be/joTh5F67z14" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/joTh5F67z14

Here are the pieces you need to make a race rope:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1PDPAK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01" rel="nofollow - Figure 8
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I6THKK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01" rel="nofollow - Rappel Ring (x2)
Rope... You'll need ~120' of HDPE from http://www.lakeelmosports.com/product.php?productid=132&cat=38&page=1" rel="nofollow - Lake Elmo or http://weyerscustomhandles.com/mainline-rope-bulk-rope/" rel="nofollow - Weyer's (their HTPE would be a good choice as well). I have several spools of this stuff too so drop me a line if you'd like.

Date Posted: January-22-2016 at 11:50am
We were able to piece together a decent amount of info prior to last year's race, but it was still a bit overwhelming as first-timers. The race itself was pretty intense, certainly as a skier, but probably even moreso as a driver. Lots of stuff to pay attention to while doing everything as fast as possible and still staying safe.

Training can take many forms but I think that reliability is the most important skill- being able to ski through rough water, benign to inconsistent pulls, etc. Minimizing falls (especially the starts) is key. Conditioning the body to ski longer and the feet to ski faster would be the next steps after that.

38 miles is a pretty long stretch on your feet. 2015 finish times ranged from 55min to 1;45. We were smack dab in the middle at ~1:20, which was good enough for 7th place out of 12 (there was 1 DNF).

If you can assemble another team and grab a spot in the race, we're proof that first-timers don't necessarily come in last- so go for it. If the prospect of the main event is a little overwhelming, then the Sunday race is a good alternative. Even if the "official" planning falls apart (as it did last year), we still plan to run it. Probably split Deep Rudders and assemble up to 3 teams of 4-6 people and run a half race (19mi). Maybe Steve (Tullfooter) would do the same and we'd have a small line of BFN's running up the river.

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: January-22-2016 at 12:08pm
All what Tim said. I think the thing that made us most successful at being consistent is that we agreed on a very set in boat and turn around process and practiced it that way. We really worked together nicely in the boat having never done such a thing before.

I had done a short race before with some veterans which helped me bring some ideas to the table before the race.

Like Tim said, it's one of the most intense events you will take part in as a boater/skier. We had many years of experience in the boat so that helped with ideas on processes. Tim and HW were shoe ins for drivers having the most experience at high speed maneuvers in a BFN hull.,

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: January-22-2016 at 12:32pm
2015: August 29
2014: August 16
2013: August 24
2012: August 11
2011: August 13
2010: August 14

2016 Show Ski Nationals is August 13-14. Here's to hoping they schedule the Buckethead on the 20th or 27th this year...

Date Posted: January-22-2016 at 1:06pm
We can lobby for it.

-------------

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: January-22-2016 at 1:06pm
Well if there is a conflict, I'll just take your place.

ha,
ha ha
HA HA HA
BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Oh, sometimes, I just crack myself up.

-------------

Posted By: Toertel
Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 5:35am
Our vacation planning puts me in the US of A during that time.
I'm game for the sunday funday CCF event

-------------
1994 Sport Nautique

Posted By: 86BFN
Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 11:06am
Sebastian, I'll be there as well. You'd be welcome in my boat!   

I'm trying to get the date from Brain. I will post as soon as I do.

For anyone who hasn't seen this awesome video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRuLF0QTXb8" rel="nofollow - Buckethead 2015

-------------
👣 Steve
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4057&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1986&yrend=1986" rel="nofollow - 86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 12:53pm
Thanks Pirate Steve!
And I'll hand deliver a USB stick with the 2015 pics then

-------------
1994 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 1:26pm
Red Malibu standing on the motorbox while skiing @ 4:33

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 1:37pm
I hate Florida. Nobody does anything cool like this here. No grass roots nothing, the state is devoid of cultural stoke.

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:00pm
Asses down on the floor (yells TRBenj)

Edit: Every time I watch that video I remember how bad ass this was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joTh5F67z14" rel="nofollow - Corvette Start

In this video you can see us on the right (left side of the Vette) and how bad Dave wanted the Vette. He kept giving the thumbs up until we passed them but unfortunately we weren't conditioned for that much speed just yet ha.

Also, you can see the gigantic advantage they gained on the start which is why HW has been practicing all the hot starts so we can get a killer hole shot ready for next year.

-------------

Posted By: bwinn
Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:19pm
Thx for posting the video, I hadnt seen that yet. Awesome. I'd like to think I might be able to make it this year.

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:39pm
I think everyone would be pretty pumped up to actually put together a somewhat planned out Sunday race,

-------------

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:48pm
Except Ralph.

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:50pm
Are my links above not working? Or am I on too many peoples ignore lists?

I was pretty wiped out and unmotivated Sun AM this past year... But a Sunday race amongst ourselves would be pretty cool. Ralph is not invited on my boat.

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:52pm
Does anyone know where to get the hardware to make those pulley rope things?

The real key to getting out ahead is to start before the horn...

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 3:08pm
Good strategy.

-------------

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 3:26pm
I think that is a jab towards me. I saw the information from TRB. Will be placing the order through Amazon or making the trek to REI.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Does anyone know where to get the hardware to make those pulley rope things?

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

I think that is a jab towards me. I saw the information from TRB.

No you're good. Mostly Zach. Pirate Steve gets a pass.

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 3:54pm
Ha, I ignored the original post. I must have thought it was in the HW rollin through post.

-------------

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 3:56pm
No jab at Greg. He asked first, then got answered. That couldn't possibly be a jab at him. Zach gets lost sometimes (a lot of times).

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 5:09pm
Clip below is from a different race - along about 5:15 you will see the importance of keeping your A$$ on the floor and paying attention to the other boats. I am guessing that when the turn was made the driver was not aware how close the other boat was

[/QUOTE]

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 5:24pm
oh that back slam had to feel good... they are begging to get run over bailing out on the outside of the turn.

there doesn't seem to be any kind of a rush in most these other teams getting off their butts in the 10 second time limit...

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 5:42pm
I know the guy who got slammed against the side of the boat. I met him through the BFC find a footer website. He lives near boston. Came down to the Cape and skied with me once and I went with a buddy of his and him on another pond on the mainland. He was a pretty new footer then, but progressing well. I know that D2D race in Austin was his first. If you view the whole video, he also states that they ran over the rope and sucked it up in the prop that resulted in a significant delay. I think it was a thrown together last minute team, Maybe a veteran or two but mostly rookies.

Results that year.

Look at Top Gun.. 21.55 for 19 mile course = 52 mph average. I think I read somewhere where they did that race with like one run per guy in the boat, so 3 or 4 transitions.

(He hasnt uploaded any videos in several years. I wonder if he is still at it)

-------------

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 5:52pm
12 minute delay

I thought his first start was long at 17 seconds but then followed it up with a 25 second butt ride on his next run...

all the fist pumping cracks me up

back to deep rudders

I feel like our starts are turns are very dialed in comparatively [now]. We just need to ski faster and longer. Shooting for bottom of the top 5. ;/

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 6:03pm
Haven't seen too many transitions in race videos, but a couple, plus watching your practice runs in FL. What is protocol, Whip around in a hurry and head back or come to idle, turn around and go back up your own wake. I've seen both.   At the beginning of the race, obviously you cant whip around, boats are all too close, but later when you are all alone out on the river, what do you do? Doesnt seem like you would want to take time to stop before heading back, but I can see not wanting a bunch or transverse wakes in the river either.

-------------

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 6:08pm
[QUOTE=Hollywood]
QUOTE]

LOL that's my Video. I thought the same thing.

Cheers Hollywood!    

-------------
👣 Steve
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4057&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1986&yrend=1986" rel="nofollow - 86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 6:09pm
absolutely no stopping. keep the boat speed to a maximum and the turns as gradual as possible. watch the top gun team! i feel we have a very good handle on the driving. living in 6 different states it's up to us individually to work on our own skiing, then bring it all together for the race. we are planning on a full team practice session at joe's in the spring

the sharp turn, slow, fast is what yanked the handle out of the guys hands who was up to ski next. he could avoided that himself, but so could the driving.

cheers steve!

as you can see, we are very anxious to apply what we've learned and see how it betters our time. some of the team members are being very optimistic on our chances this year. i personally underrated us last year

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. Pirate Steve gets a pass.

Sorry TRBenj I didn't read the whole post until after I posted that.
Thanks for the pass,

-------------
👣 Steve

89 Martinique

Date Posted: January-25-2016 at 8:39pm
Ha, all good!

Anyone interested in the race should read the rules posted on the official website. It covers power turns at the start, etc.

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 12:06am
i'll keep an eye on this thread! really interested on participating on this kind of event...

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 10:25am
And the dude that received the back slam still sits on top of the gunnel while in motion

All who wonder are not lost HW.

Hw and Tim under rated us for sure haha. We were all pretty pumped up with our finish. I knew we would finish at least mid pack.

I think Timmy didn't want to finish poorly with a boat that fast.

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 10:37am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Fun seeing you guys blow by the Corvette boat after the start.

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Fun seeing you guys blow by the Corvette boat after the start.

Dave was out for blood haha. Guess who we're shooting for next year.

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 10:53am
It's looking like Sebago is not going to freeze this year. Dave will probably be training before the end of March. Heck, he rarely will even drink a beer with me. I hope one of you guys are bringing a barefoot boat to WL as I want to be able to use ours.

There's a lot of enthusiasm about this years race. Is it going to turn into a reunion?

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 11:04am
I bet their eyes opened up when that old , faded paint, half finished engine cover 79 blew by them. Probably didn't expect that. Sadly I believe tim added some mufflers to it, didn't he, so it didn't have quite the sound impact. I don't think I've heard it since that happened.

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 11:59am
Still sounds good Larry but its pretty quiet inside the boat now. Hopefully this year we will be able to ski closer to the top speed we would like to.

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 12:06pm
"I've done the math. Faster is better."

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 12:16pm

not what she said

but longer....ie fewer transitions

-------------
1994 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 12:21pm
Kind of like NASCAR. When being interviewed about whats important, the drivers always talk about "track position" Isnt that just another way of saying "being first"

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Toertel Toertel wrote:

not what she said

but longer....ie fewer transitions

Not sure who you're quoting but HW Is right. The experts have concluded that faster is better, not length of the runs. They have done the math.

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 1:20pm
I thought I read somewhere that long runs were a ticket (might have been on the old post) but could be wrong
Faster seems logic, as does cutting down on numbers of transitions
Guess the deep rudders will have to do both, fast & long runs

-------------
1994 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 1:34pm
fast & long or long & fast?

There is real math involved with transition amount vs ski speed vs length of run.

Sebastian, Joe, Paul and the girls were parked at the perfect spot to witness some of this in practice.

Hot Shots was in first blazing a head. The got the turn around first and started come back with Top Gun close behind, who turned around second and remained on their heels. However, Hot Shot, being the first boat, ran into some rough water from Wolfpack transitioning still going up river. Hot Shot skier fell, but Top Gun skier managed to ski through all the mess and take the lead. I'm not sure if they stayed ahead, or if upon their skier going down Hot Shot regained the lead, but you can easily see how the next Top Gun skier would then regain the lead after Hot Shot went down again. We kind of did the same thing with pfelgner's team, went back and forth a few times until we continued to ski past 2 of their transitions and was able to keep in front.

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 1:53pm
scenario          Time on feet      speed      number runs           Elapsed time
1                   3                       50                  15                    57.43
2                       6                       40                       10                       64.66
3                       4.5                       45                       12                       60
4                       2                       50                       22                       63.26

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 1:55pm
Hammer down.

Hw/Tim, didnt we count 12 different runs? We most closely resemble scenario two as an average speed but maybe slightly off on the time on feet.

So losing time on feet but adding 45 mph average would put us at the hour mark which is really damn fast considering the fastest was 54 min ish.

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 1:56pm
I made a spread sheet , what you cant really take into account is how much the boat speed will cost you in length of runs... if anyone wants to shoot out scenarios let me know and Ill run them through. I went with 1 min transitions and 20 seconds from the starting gun based on some of the videos...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:02pm
Tim deleted a bunch of his post but last month Scott and I managed to get down to a 35 second feet to feet transition with no boom or assistance into the boat. It's in the video. 6:25-7:00. I'll say as a driver you don't need to wait until the ass is on the floor to go. As the picked up skier your job is to gain control of the boat, once that is established it's time to go and make your way over the transom and in the boat. This could be the difference between making it past another boat before they throw rollers or not.

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:08pm
If I remember right, the Hot Shots never recovered from the spill...

Joey did you try to match their run with your spread sheet?
I think all skied 4 times, 2 missed stars and the 5 min rest/no wake zone

And yes we saw a ton of transitions up there and lost blew more than one transition while we watched. At 40mph that translates to ~0.67 miles per minute and is quite a bit.

Anyway, ya'll did great, especially since you did not have tons of time to train together.
So how about a footing clinic at every mini and a one week intensive training in Belgium with Kristof (just randomly picked the place, not cause it's somewhat close to me)

-------------
1994 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:09pm
Having the previous skier safely on board before taking off again is critical. We'll need to discuss how we define and communicate that. Certainly some time to be gained here for sure if we can get it efficient and safe.

Zach, we transitioned 24 times, not 12 (4 runs each). Our moving average was just under 30mph with the fuel stop included (almost exactly 30mph with it subtracted).

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:11pm
Our transition amount will go down too skiing fast, and ahead on the start. Scott and Brad had awful water on their first runs and Tim's average water wasn't much better. Dave, Zach and I had relatively clean water, which allowed us to put some miles down.

Keys to success:
Speed up
Longer runs (=transition amount down)
Extended butt rides (=longer run^ compared to a botched start although Zach has this dialed in already)

Result = Time down!

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:14pm
Ahhh Samsonite, I was way off.

Yeah, Our transitions can gain us a little bit but they were surprisingly dialed and quick considering we practiced for 30 minutes?

Hammer down
Train faster

Butt ride king. There was no way I was planting in a roller and botching a start after HW yelling at me in practice

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Having the previous skier safely on board before taking off again is critical. We'll need to discuss how we define and communicate that. Certainly some time to be gained here for sure if we can get it efficient and safe.

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:55pm
There is just so much that is right about that picture.

I have thought about putting a spreadsheet together like Joe's, but I suspect it will tell me what i already know. Have you ever been passed on the highway by someone going significantly faster, only to catch up with them at the toll booth, pass them due to ez-pass (while they pay cash) only to have them pass you again several miles down the road? They need to be traveling significantly faster than you to make up for their slow tollbooth experience. Over a stretch of road that has a bunch of toll booths, I know I can get through it more quickly, even if I'm not traveling as fast between them.

Speed is great but I suspect the biggest improvements to be made are in transitions. Both the speed of each and minimizing how many you have. The latter requires longer runs. Despite what the "expert" told us, speed is the lowest priority... He was either sandbagging as a competitor or can't do math.

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 3:39pm
OK, I like spreadsheets so I gave it a shot. Not sure what it tells you. Have to input different combinations I guess to use it, tho I put in a bunch of defaults. You enter variables in the green columns, all the others are calculated. No guarantees that I got it right, I didn't spend a lot of time checking. If anyone wants it to play with, let me know and I will email it to you.

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 3:45pm
The average transition time certainly makes a difference - but boy so does speed. If you go with 1 minute on average for the transition a team making 10 minute runs at 42 mph does beat a time making 2 minute runs at 50 by 3 mins.   For that changeover and those speeds the 42 mph team has to average 5.5 mins on your feet per run (some faster some slower) and to just squeak by the 50 mph team if they average 2 mins on their feet.

A 42 mph team with 35 second transitions and 15 minute average runs, no falls finishes in 56.1 minutes

A 50 mph team with 1 minute transitions and 4 minute average runs will finish in 54.9 mins, and has time for a fall in there to still beat the guys cruising at 42. If they can keep their transitions to 35 seconds they could be done in 50 mins and finish their first beer by the time they see the 42mph team. OR if they keep the transitions to 35 seconds they can finish in 54 mins by averaging 2 minutes on their feet. --- which to me seems like speed always wins

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 3:56pm
We had Tim's boat pinned the whole time. Looks like we need more motor.

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 6:25pm
Ha. You may get your wish for more motor whether my wallet likes it or not!

I may need to take a closer look at that spreadsheet... I've been thinking of run length in terms of distance instead of time, which may be erroneous. All the more reason to start training early it sounds like.

Date Posted: January-26-2016 at 6:42pm
Here was my logic about that, which may be flawed, but here it is. We first measure run length in time, after all, you don't know how far you've gone.    So you go 1 minute. How far you go is a function of speed. So I took the 1 minute, turned it into hours to keep all units consistent with MPH. Your first calculation is at 1 minute runs, how many transitions are there. But to get that you fist need to know how far you went. That is a function of distance and speed. So at 40 MPH, 1 minute is 0 .67 miles. Dividing that into 38 miles = 56 transitions. So 1 minute at 40 is 56 transitions. So you start with time then convert that to distance.

(Of course my whole response here is based on the assumption that you were talking about assessing the race (ie the spreadsheet) not executing the race, where the approach would be different, and that could be what you meant.)

-------------

Posted By: pfelgner
Date Posted: February-01-2016 at 10:51pm
Hey all! Big year this Aug with Barefoot Nationals the first week 2-6 and then Barefoot Worlds Aug 13-20 in Wisconsin. Bet Buckethead with be like the last Sat of the month so 27 maybe. I haven't heard anything yet myself.

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: February-01-2016 at 11:01pm
Thoughts on the race. Practice, practice, practice. Do doubles so you have to push each other to go further and further. Dedicated drive would be nice, most the winning teams have one but we don't because there's only 4 of us and we all want to foot and really need to to survive 38 miles. Transitions are key and we still don't have it down and there is where a solo driver would benefit. No mistakes, bad starts etc...... that killed us this year.

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: February-01-2016 at 11:01pm
I have heard from Brian just now and no date set yet but he will try and get something out soon.

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: February-01-2016 at 11:05pm
10th anniversary I bet there won't be any open teams spots this year but maybe some teams needing someone. I have people already asking if I have spots.

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: February-01-2016 at 11:07pm
Really need that first footer to make that no power turn buoy which is 4 miles.

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: February-02-2016 at 12:01am
At 40 mph, that is 6 minutes, that's a pretty good run.    In an answer to me above HW said never stop to turnaround, but then tim clarified at the start of the race, you have to stop and turn around, but I didn't know how far that lasted. 4 miles, I'm learning. How many teams would you guess made that 4 miles?

-------------

Date Posted: February-02-2016 at 12:11am
No more then half. A few made the bridge project which will be there again this year and is like 7 miles from the start and then you have to stop pick up footer and no wake past it and then go again.

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: February-02-2016 at 12:13am
I hear wall squats are a big help for distance. Again didn't help me lol

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: June-03-2016 at 1:54pm
Hearing that if they can't find event insurance the race may not happen after what happened with Ben last year!

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: June-03-2016 at 1:58pm
Why not affiliate with USA waterski? That's how INT covers insurance.

Date Posted: June-03-2016 at 2:04pm
Hear USA Waterski is not affordable at this point. Not sure.

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: June-03-2016 at 2:55pm
What was the insurance situation last year?

Raise the entry fee? At least make participats aware of the new cost to cover the insurance.

This all just seems unnecessarily difficult. Clearly these races are and have been happening for a long time.

Date Posted: June-03-2016 at 4:23pm
I have no idea what the prices are they have been getting but I hear it's expensive this comes from Shawn Who puts on the Lockwood race and the prices are not affordable hopefully they can figure something out

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: June-03-2016 at 4:28pm
Don't think they've ever had insurance just relied on the release waiver to protect them and my understanding is that waiver really don't mean anything

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: June-03-2016 at 4:28pm
Insurance and Lawyers ruin all the Fun, Good Luck, hope it gets worked out

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: June-03-2016 at 11:13pm
Highly unlikely that USA Waterski would touch this event. To sanction an event it takes rated drivers, trained/certified safety officials, safety pick up boats etc.

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: June-03-2016 at 11:22pm
That is one of the reasons that USA definitely ain't gonna work to much red tape.

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: July-22-2016 at 5:45pm
The weekend has been set for a Buckethead Barefooting Party. Will be the weekend of August 27th. Spread the word and come on out for a good time.   

-------------
👣 Steve

89 Martinique

Posted By: RIPnSIX
Date Posted: July-22-2016 at 6:16pm
The Bridge rifle is still there.. also.. the river has been down and surprisingly clean this year..

Turn and Burn boys.

-------------
If you don't fall, you're not trying hard enough.

If it doesn't hurt.. Go Bigger.

Tubing Sucks.

Date Posted: July-22-2016 at 7:23pm
You know there is no official Buckethead, no after party, just fun on the river if you bring a boat and friends to hang with friends.

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: July-22-2016 at 7:26pm
I believe you can camp the weekend at the same spot. Nothing is being organized but I'm sure I will hit the river early Saturday morning.

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: July-22-2016 at 8:18pm
I have a feeling a lot of people are doing the same thing...

Date Posted: July-22-2016 at 8:37pm

I have a feeling a lot of people are doing the same thing...

How about we all start at the same time!    

-------------
👣 Steve

89 Martinique

Date Posted: July-23-2016 at 12:14am
Last one back is a rotten egg

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: July-29-2016 at 9:45pm
Anyone else going to go and do some footin'. I am in if we get enough people. I have to decide to either attend this gathering or a batchlor party at Deep Creek Lake personally I'd rather go to the "footin' gathering"

Date Posted: August-02-2016 at 7:02pm
Paul, I plan on being there Saturday and Sunday
Hopefully everyone that was there last year shows up and more.
Come on guys, let get this party started!

BTW, Just how many stripper are going to be at this batchlor party anyway?    

-------------
👣 Steve

89 Martinique

Date Posted: August-02-2016 at 7:46pm
We're not 100% yet just recently I know of a few boats losing props due to a low River. Not sure if I'll take the chance of damaging my boat yet.

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 10:18am
Cara posted some details on Facebook I've been told.. just some fun for the couple days.

As far as the river being low, it's not that bad down Crandall's way.. it can get a little hairy up In the bends if you don't know where you are going..

As always though even if you know it well, it sometimes bites back...

-------------

Tubing Sucks.

Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 10:39am
Exactly my thoughts. Jordan that River has been you life and now $400 later!

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 10:51am
I thought racing was pretty fun... Are there going to be river police out Saturday morning preventing anyone from racing that wants to?

Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 11:24am
Don't think there has ever been anything like that before so I would say no!

-------------
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001

Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 11:36am
see you at rick's, then again at the ramp around 7

Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 11:37am
nah.. they wont be out till the afternoon to judge the tubing tournament.

And yeah.. Pat, I wasn't happy.. it was up by a dock though.. my own fault..

-------------

Tubing Sucks.

Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 12:13pm
Stay away from docks then

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: August-03-2016 at 1:04pm
Interesting point about 5-0 HW, Does anyone know if they were involved or informed for the prior "official" races?? Suppose the only thing that might be considered illegal is if you are running too close to another boat, which I would imagine is likely to happen along the way or USCG floatation rules in Ohio for the skier. Also might put a damper in your time were they to pull you over for a safety check, lol.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: August-04-2016 at 10:47am
Sorry guys, I've been MIA for a while. No real reason, just busy.
This is the post that was put out by Audra regarding the Buckethead party;

Hey All- August 26-28 @ Maumee River, OH
Some of you know the info, others don't so I'm passing on what Brian wanted me to about this year's Buckethead Bash.
Please pass it on to others if they have not heard- all are welcome to come.
Pack a cooler of drinks and food for a fun weekend!!
There will be no organized race like in years past---they are wanting to get together, ski, barefoot, have kids games, and just gather together and have some fun. There has been talk about a group going out to ski Saturday morning for some fun.
Same place--at Crandall's House/Yard Friday night-Sunday- bring your tent it WILL be a good time.
Friday Night- hang out and just visit/ski/barefoot
Saturday Day- Games on and off the water for adults and children- more details to come later
Saturday Night- Band from last year will be playing
Sunday- Play on the water and wrap up the fun to head home for the work week.
Ben will be attending in a bubble ball so we can stay all weekend for the fun o' festivities.
Can't wait to see everyone!

We (me, Shawn, Brendan, and whomever) will be bringing a team...er..I mean group of footers. I guarantee there will be some high speed runs up the river with boats, side by side, towing skiers without skis. Nothing official, just like minded souls not wanting to buy the beer if finishing last.
Regarding the race and insurance, USA Water Ski will not touch the race unless every driver is certified. Some of us are certifiably nuts, but that doesn't count.
On the topic of how to run a good race; it's called endurance barefootiong. The longer your runs, the better you do. Transitions kill you. They slow you down, and increase the risk of blowing a start. The teams that get out in front by having a couple of long runs do very well. The water is better, and the traffic is less. I'm no expert, but I've been through a couple of these.
Gotta go, but I'll keep an eye on this thread.
BTW, been so busy, I've not even footed behind my boat this year.   

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-04-2016 at 5:36pm
What time would you like to unofficially run up and down the river with skiers?

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 10:49pm
I'm in as a spectator/crew help/beer runner.
Heard the main attraction at the bachelor party was Chrissy Quintler and she brings a tool box full of her special items.
From what I was told she travels with her manager/bodyguard (Gary somebody) that guards her tool box while she's working.
May be all rumors but I don't think I want to chance it

Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: August-10-2016 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I'm in as a spectator/crew help/beer runner.

Crew help = picking up 12 drop skis

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Print Page | Close Window