Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39910
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 8:03pm

Topic: New project 1965 mustang
Posted By: Bilkolayne
Subject: New project 1965 mustang
Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 9:47am
Hello I'm Jon and I'm new here I just picked up a 1965 correct craft with a 283 chevy. The boat was involved in a fire so there is some repairs to be made not too extensive Buenos needs to be done... I'm going to give it a good look over this afternoon and post some pics.

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 10:00am
Jon,
Welcome to CCfan. If you haven't already, take some time and explore the site. Plenty of great information that you will find interesting and I feel needed for your project. If you can't find something, just ask. The membership knowledge base is fantastic. We'll be waiting on the pictures!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: scootdogydog
Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 10:38am
http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5704237053.html%20" rel="nofollow - This 1964?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7183" rel="nofollow - 1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 11:24am
Yes that was the one

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5704237053.html%20" rel="nofollow - This 1964?

The link's not working for me. Anyone else?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 11:38am
He took the add down I'm trying to figure out how to post pics now

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 11:42am
Jon,
Use the "post reply" and not the quick reply that's at the bottom of each thread. Click on the tree with the up arrow icon and a browse box will come up.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 12:38pm
Yea I tryed that and it's only bring up my camera so I'll take pics in a bit

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 12:45pm

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 12:48pm

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 12:54pm
http://owlshead.org/gallery3/index.php/Barn-Fresh-Nautical/1965-Correct-Craft-Mustang-Series-Ski-Boat-9-500

I think this might have been the boat at one time

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Bilkolayne Bilkolayne wrote:

http://owlshead.org/gallery3/index.php/Barn-Fresh-Nautical/1965-Correct-Craft-Mustang-Series-Ski-Boat-9-500

I think this might have been the boat at one time

Yup, it sure looks like the same boat. http://owlshead.org/gallery3/index.php/Barn-Fresh-Nautical/1965-Correct-Craft-Mustang-Series-Ski-Boat-9-500" rel="nofollow - Here's a direct link.
Jon,
Do you know anything about the fire? How it happened?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 1:53pm
The guy explained that thay where tuning the carb and it back fired out the top then spread. Most of the damage is just from the heat. The stbd gunnle is a little soft so I will need to remove the support and relace then fiberglass over. I will prob wind up laying a fresh coat of glass over the dash also.

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 5:13pm
Just went and bought a new set of plug wipers and an assortment of wire and heat sink connectors also won a set of vintage looking gages on ebay thay will be here in a few days

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 5:20pm
I recognize it from the photo in the Owls Head photo. I had stopped and looked at it a few years ago. It was somewhere between Alfred/Sanford and the Berwicks. You have your work cut out for you!

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I recognize it from the photo in the Owls Head photo. I had stopped and looked at it a few years ago. It was somewhere between Alfred/Sanford and the Berwicks. You have your work cut out for you!

Yea it's not as bad as it looks.... some glass work wiring and paint I also need to find a windshield. There was a Tayler made on bostion cl last week for 100 but someone grabbed it

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 5:28pm

The guy explained that thay where tuning the carb and it back fired out the top then spread. Most of the damage is just from the heat. The stbd gunnle is a little soft so I will need to remove the support and relace then fiberglass over. I will prob wind up laying a fresh coat of glass over the dash also.

And they laughed at me when I handed out two fire extinguishers while trying to get the promo to run this weekend...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

And they laughed at me when I handed out two fire extinguishers while trying to get the promo to run this weekend...

I didn't laugh at you. I pull the fire extinguishers out when we're messing around like that at my house. We had fire coming out the carb and the exhaust when we were trying to start up our tique earlier this year. Not a good combo when you're pouring gas down the carb with a cup. We have to find a better method than that.

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

We have to find a better method than that.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 6:05pm
Nah, still too sloppy Pete- at least for vertical pours. Empty dish soap bottle works better.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 6:10pm
Don't put the flame arrestor back on they said. It'll be fine they said.

Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 7:16pm
I'm pretty sure after I put an Edelbrock carburetor in it I won't need to prore any fuel down the carb so fire should not be a problem

Posted By: planejob
Date Posted: September-13-2016 at 10:10pm
I chuckle when I read about replacing Holley carbs with Edelbrock carbs on boats. Obviously, Edelbrock is preferred over Holleys like Fords are preferred over walking. From my experience with automotive stuff, listed under "Life Experience" on my C.V., it has always been the opposite. Nobody wanted a junky old Edelbrock - you couldn't give them away... literally.

I suppose it's a matter of using the right tool for the mission.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this resto-mod proceeds. If you were closer I'd come over to your house and drink your beer while I watched you work. Err, I mean "help".

Date Posted: September-14-2016 at 9:57am

Got the windshield off and started cleaning up a little bit. The gauges that I ordered will be here tomorrow I also ordered another matching speedo. I also installed the plug wiers and bared the engine over to make sure all was good and not seized up for anything. I took the month off of work so I will have plenty of time to work on it. I want to at least get it primerd before I go back to work.

Posted By: relake
Date Posted: September-14-2016 at 10:12am
Looking forward to following your progress.....

Am I seeing things, or is the fire extinguisher still strapped on the floorboard?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=8310" rel="nofollow - '97 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-14-2016 at 10:12am
Originally posted by planejob planejob wrote:

Obviously, Edelbrock is preferred over Holleys like Fords are preferred over walking.

Yeah that's not actually the case around these parts typically.. the holley (or a quickfuel holley style replacement) is generally preferred for a ford application. Chryslers which came with AFBs and spread bore chevys that came with quadrajets would be a little different.   Slapping a new marine edelbrock carb on a ford marine engine and you are typically looking at least at running a wedge spacer to get it to run... and many have given up on the task and went back to their holleys.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: September-14-2016 at 10:31am
Originally posted by relake relake wrote:

Looking forward to following your progress.....

Am I seeing things, or is the fire extinguisher still strapped on the floorboard?

Yes the fire extinguisher is still strapped to the kick plate that goes under the dash. And it was unused still good LOL

Date Posted: September-14-2016 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by planejob planejob wrote:

Edelbrock is preferred over Holleys like Fords are preferred over walking.

gold

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 2:24pm

New gages come inn today

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 2:49pm
So, I have to assume there was a payout from ones insurance company??
I applaud you for your efforts.. I'd be shopping for a new boat...

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

So, I have to assume there was a payout from ones insurance company??
I applaud you for your efforts.. I'd be shopping for a new boat...

Moj'

Yea I think thay prob did I got a good deal on it. And I was looking for a new boat it's new to me lol. My father owns and operates a boat restoration company in Baltimore and I also worked 4 years at a body shop in Baltimore before I joined the Coast Guard 10 years ago. So I have paint body and fiberglass down pat. Also I'm still a mechanic in the USCG

Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 11:45am
I started to pull the rubrail off got about half done and the kid wanted to ride bikes so little progress so far today. But I pulled the battery and put it on charge and it took a charge so that's a win.

Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:19pm

I pulled the battery and put it on charge and it took a charge so that's a win.

No load test? That will tell you if the battery is good or not. Seeing the charger taper off it's amps is really no indication of a battery condition.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:42pm
Pete, given the work he has cut out for him, allow him the small victory. That's the only way I'm able to move forward at times.

Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 2:27pm
Jonathan,
Sorry, Bruce is correct that I came across very abrupt. You certainly do have your work ahead of you. Keep the news coming about your progress.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I pulled the battery and put it on charge and it took a charge so that's a win.

No load test? That will tell you if the battery is good or not. Seeing the charger taper off it's amps is really no indication of a battery condition.

It's still good I put it on a trickle charge over night then hit it with my load tester...... tested fine I also then put it in my truck and started it about a dozen times and it was good there also. The battery was new in June of this year but I'm shore sat dead for a few months

Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 2:41pm
I got the rest of the rubrail off and staring to pull out the side storage and get a better idea of how I'm going to attack the weak gunnle..... I have a few ideas rolling around but just not to shore yet of what way I want to tackle it yet. I need to hit the marine supply and get some glass and resin.

Date Posted: September-17-2016 at 11:16am
OK so I think I got a game plan. Has any of you guys removed the top cap off of one of these boats before because I think that's my best bet for getting in the tight gunnle with new glass and support from the bottom side.

Date Posted: September-17-2016 at 11:41am
Johnathan,
It can be done but it may be hard to break the bond between the cap and hull. I feel it would be easier to roll the boat over. Upside down would also be helpful if any bottom work is needed.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-17-2016 at 11:49am
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] Johnathan,
It can be done but it may be hard to break the bond between the cap and hull. I feel it would be easier to roll the boat over. Upside down would also be helpful if any bottom work is needed.[/QUOT

I watched a few videos of how and it dose not look to difficult from what I see when I pulled the rub rail is a series of Pop rivets all the way around the boat that hold the two together so I would drill out the pop rivets take a scraper all the way around then get some buddy's to help me pull it off..... where the damage is I see it being much much better to get a good layer of glass in there if the hull is not in the way.

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: September-17-2016 at 1:22pm
Inside the boat there is an attempted layer of f-glass behind the rub-rail.   So, after the rivets are drilled out, you will need to either cut or remove that layer before the top-deck will ever come off.
I did my '66 with a big old heavy duty sharp knife and a hammer. Shoved it straight up between the hull and deck. Then enjoyed hammering the knife all the way around.
I know it sounds rather barbaric, but the method did achieve my objective.

-------------
Keep it....from sinkin'

Date Posted: September-17-2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Inside the boat there is an attempted layer of f-glass behind the rub-rail.   So, after the rivets are drilled out, you will need to either cut or remove that layer before the top-deck will ever come off.
I did my '66 with a big old heavy duty sharp knife and a hammer. Shoved it straight up between the hull and deck. Then enjoyed hammering the knife all the way around.
I know it sounds rather barbaric, but the method did achieve my objective.

Thank you for the great information that will really help me.

Date Posted: September-17-2016 at 6:19pm
I'd flip the boat!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-17-2016 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'd flip the boat!

I don't really see that being a great option considering the amount of work I need to do in the gunnle to do the job right it needs to come off. I just went and grabbed some fresh drill bits and new flat chizzle scrapers it's gonna happen in the next few days

Date Posted: September-17-2016 at 11:22pm
In about 10 min with new drill bit and a strong putty knife I habe half of one side broke loose and that went like a pice of cake. Not so barbaric after all.

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: September-18-2016 at 1:59am

In about 10 min with new drill bit and a strong putty knife I habe half of one side broke loose and that went like a pice of cake. Not so barbaric after all.

keep the pics coming...this is gonna be real interesting.

So you are still in the Coast Guard? One of my very best friends put in 30 years. Left as a Chief Warrant Officer.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: September-18-2016 at 5:57pm

OK so I took more of a direct a approach and only remove the bad section I will go from the underside and replace all the bad glass and add more support after that section is complete I will then reinstall and fiberglass back in place

Date Posted: September-19-2016 at 9:59pm
So I removed the old glass from the section of gunnle today and started laying resin to form a good layer spot for glass........ I'll sand it all down and lay down glass tomorrow. Makeing progress that's all that matters.

Date Posted: September-21-2016 at 2:46pm
I removed all the bad glass from the underside of the gunnle and applied 3 new layers of glass to it all. Then put a layer on the outside of the side of the gunnle where it was soft. Hope to fiberglass the gunnle back on the boat tomorrow.... makeing good progress here. After its back together I'll prep the whole topside for primer then paint. Hope to have it painted by next week some time.

Date Posted: September-21-2016 at 7:03pm

Got the gunnle back on waiting for the resin to dry so I can block it out and add some more glass if need be

Date Posted: September-22-2016 at 5:31pm

Working my tail off here got the gunnle completely back on and a coat of primer on it. Working my way round the dash. I pulled the gages and between the dash it was all cracked so out with the old and inn with the new.

Date Posted: September-22-2016 at 7:26pm
Got 6 sheets of glass over the gauge cluster and one on the hole dash. I'm out of resin and glass so off to the store tomorrow to get more and finish the dash try to get it in primer tomorrow mabe the the only thing left is one coat of glass on the port side and get it all ready for paint.... I want to paint it next week probably.

Date Posted: September-22-2016 at 8:22pm

Makeing way here..... I'll be putting it back together in no time

Posted By: bwinn
Date Posted: September-23-2016 at 12:48pm
Sounds like your plan is to paint it? Your skill set looks dialed in why not regel it? I feel the value in the end would be worth the extra effort.

Date Posted: September-23-2016 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

Sounds like your plan is to paint it? Your skill set looks dialed in why not regel it? I feel the value in the end would be worth the extra effort.

I really don't know what I want to do yet. Gell coat is something I habe never messed with before it would be a good learning experience....... we will see what I decided to do

Date Posted: September-23-2016 at 6:10pm
If the boat is already painted, and I am pretty sure that one is ... then paint on. Putting gel on the deck of a painted boat is not going to win you much of an increase in value and as a painter you will be able to spray buff and look great.

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: September-23-2016 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

If the boat is already painted, and I am pretty sure that one is ... then paint on. Putting gel on the deck of a painted boat is not going to win you much of an increase in value and as a painter you will be able to spray buff and look great.

Yes I have not done much research into gelcoat. The boat has been painted before so like you said it's not really worth it. I'm going to find a nice topside paint lay it on wet sand and buff it. Should bring decent results. Anything is better then the condition that I bought the boat in

Date Posted: September-23-2016 at 6:48pm
You are ambitious and work fast. Best of luck on this project.

Date Posted: September-24-2016 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You are ambitious and work fast. Best of luck on this project.

Yes when I'm set on something I tend too not stand till it's done...... other ppl on this page thought I had my work cut out for myself but it's all a challenge to me. To do it right and in record time....... ppl always tend to underestimate my ability...

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: September-24-2016 at 11:22am
I highly recommend using "Smartshoppersinc" or google "Kirker paint". Talk to Dave. Very good paint for great prices. Bout $65 a gallon. Have painted lots with it. Nice work, keep diggin    I like the urethane line

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Posted By: Fabcon
Date Posted: September-24-2016 at 11:49pm
It's a good thing you ended up with this boat, I don't think there are many that would have tried to bring it back. Looking good keep updating

-------------
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1984 Barefoot Nautique (Parting Out)

Date Posted: September-25-2016 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Fabcon Fabcon wrote:

It's a good thing you ended up with this boat, I don't think there are many that would have tried to bring it back. Looking good keep updating

Thanks I'm trying here. I took the last few days off to chill out and all but I'm gonna get some stuff done today

Date Posted: September-25-2016 at 6:39pm

So made a little more progress today. Had a spongy spot in the deck so I drilled like 20 holes and filled it all in with resin with a like ketchup squirt bottle also sanded down the dash and got that ready for filler. Still got to do the port gunnle but that's just sanding filling and prime so I'm kina like 75% on paint prep.

Date Posted: September-26-2016 at 6:52pm

Last coat of body filler then time for primer. Painting this week

Date Posted: September-27-2016 at 5:15pm

One quick coat of primer..... using the rustolium topside primer because I don't have access to a nice spray booth or anything so makeing due with what I have. But looking real good here

Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 10:28am
Sanding down to primer today I have a few spots to give some body filler to then one more coat of primer over them spots and power she will be ready for paint.

Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:20pm

1st coat rolled and tip...... sand tomorrow and another coat then sand and another coat then sand and another coat then wet sand and buff..... it's a little whiter then I wanted but is what it is

Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:33pm
JPASS v2.0

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:50pm

JPASS v2.0

Ha. At least he won't have to worry about the gelcoat cracks coming through the fresh finish.

Many lessons were learned with our old boat.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

JPASS v2.0

Ha. At least he won't have to worry about the gelcoat cracks coming through the fresh finish.

Many lessons were learned with our old boat.

Is that a stab at what I'm doing? Makeing the best of that I have at the moment. After next summer if I can get it to Baltimore where my father's shop is I will algrip it and prob do the upper haul also

Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 5:00pm
And if u ask me no its not show quality but it's better then when I bought it.

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 5:01pm
What product are you using for paint?

-------------

Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

What product are you using for paint?

Rustoleum topside paint thinned with mineral spirits rolled and tipped. I don't want to waste the money All Quality Paint just to redo it next winter when I have the proper facilities. The Rustoleum is not bad but it's very time-consuming in order to get a quality finish. I put a lot of time into the prep work fiberglass, Bondo, primer, I will get a decent finish out of it. Just takes time

Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 5:10pm

That's just one coat I will put 4 or 5 on then buff it. It will come out like glass when it's done right

Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 5:27pm
It was a joke on JPASS. As you saw, he said he had his deck gelcoated and it came out a brighter white than original, no longer matching the hull or interior. That was on an otherwise complete 1992 Ski Nautique. Your project is looking just fine!

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 5:52pm

Your project is looking just fine!

Agreed! Good motivation for someone who owns a Skier with a smashed deck!

-------------

Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 10:21pm

It was a joke on JPASS. As you saw, he said he had his deck gelcoated and it came out a brighter white than original, no longer matching the hull or interior. That was on an otherwise complete 1992 Ski Nautique. Your project is looking just fine!

Thanks for the jab HW.

The brighter white (silver cloud) was hardly the issue with that re-gel.

Jon, the short of it was I had a bunch of spider cracks on the upper deck of our boat. Had it repaired and re-gelled only to have the spider cracks come back within a few weeks after she was put back together.

I'm beyond anal about my stuff and this repair was a complete failure.

Feel free to read about it if you like:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31672" rel="nofollow - Original cracking

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32660" rel="nofollow - Off for repair

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33037" rel="nofollow - Return of thr spider cracks

Your repairs are coming along quite nicely I might add.

-------------

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: September-28-2016 at 11:36pm
Man you are fast !!!
You could tone-down the brightness of the white with a little "sand-beige" color mix.
It's looking really good.

-------------
Keep it....from sinkin'

Date Posted: September-29-2016 at 9:22am
JPASS if you don't remove all the cracking it will always make its way back over time. As my old body's shop boss explained it to me it's like patching the road if you don't properly fill inn the pothole it will always be a pothole. And DrCC thanks I do work quick...... I think I am going to go pickup a qt of sand color and tone the white down a bit.

Date Posted: September-29-2016 at 12:33pm

JPASS if you don't remove all the cracking it will always make its way back over time.

If you checked the threads, the cracking was removed by the repair guy but I'm not so sure the prep and repairs were up to snuff. Boat was sold over a year ago, so it's no longer an issue for us.

-------------

Date Posted: September-29-2016 at 5:46pm

I mixed the pure white with oyster White and perfect match. The boat is looking awesome. I can't wait to start putting it back together

Date Posted: September-29-2016 at 5:56pm
Also really need a hook up on a windshield soon. If anyone know any body

Date Posted: September-29-2016 at 6:04pm
windshields are overrated

Date Posted: September-29-2016 at 6:12pm
I agree windshields are overrated… and mustangs are too small for them – that front deck is the only place for the ladies to lie down and sun themselves. Just make sure you put down a towel first so you don’t mess up the new paint job.

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: September-29-2016 at 6:23pm
color definitely looks like a closer match from here

man you work fast

Date Posted: September-29-2016 at 6:52pm

color definitely looks like a closer match from here

man you work fast

Still have like 2 more coats to put on then I think I'll be satisfied with. Still got to rewire the boat but that should only take me a few hours. Then slap a new carb on some hoses and see if she fiers up.

Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 10:50am
I woke up this morning and 500 grit wet sanded the topside so it's ready for another coat of paint in a few hours just waiting for it to worm up a little bit outside first...... also I picked up a hole saw bit set so I can cut the gauge holes out today too.

Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 11:01am

I woke up this morning

Jonathan,
At the rate you're getting it done, I'm surprised you're sleeping!! I'm impressed!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 11:16am
Your boat is looking great! Most people would have junked it. Good job looking past the damage and saving her. I'm very impressed with your speed as well.

Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 1:21pm
Thanks for the comments I'm trying my best here.... really wish I could have sprayed it but it was not in the cards. Just put another coat of paint on got one more to do tomorrow then paint is done. I don't know if I'm going to wet sand it and buff or not I'm prity happy with the results I'm getting now..... it looks 300 times better then when I picked it up...... going this weekend to grab a Rochester carb and a new electronic engnition..... found some cheep on crages list for sale just got to drive to mass to grab them.

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 1:49pm
Since you don't sleep and you work so fast, it looks like you might need to take on a roofing project before the rainy season   Your three tab is in pretty rough shape, and looks like it is leaking,    At your pace though you could probably get that roof finished up in half a day or so

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 1:54pm
Wow, amazing transformation in such a short time. Quite a feat considering the condition of that gunnel when you started. Nice work.

-------------

Posted By: oldcuda
Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 1:59pm
Just when I thought there would be a good winter project to watch. I would still be deciding where to make the cuts! I'm impressed.

Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Since you don't sleep and you work so fast, it looks like you might need to take on a roofing project before the rainy season   Your three tab is in pretty rough shape, and looks like it is leaking,    At your pace though you could probably get that roof finished up in half a day or so

LOL I prob would but I rent now own the place. And yea it dose need some attention but I'll leave that up to the landlord

Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 3:31pm
The coat I put on this morning i put on very thin and it dried really quickly so I went ahead and put the last coat on it looks really good..... I'll give it a day or so the dry up and cure all the way before I start putting the rub rail and all back on.. I got to paint the steering parts anyway.

Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 3:39pm
I also had time between coat to pick up dinner and start cooking in the slow cooker and watch and episode of shameless lol.

Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 5:52pm

The last 2 coats I put a enamel crystallizer in and wow that dried real fast. I was able to start putting it back together.

Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 8:01pm
New glove box will be here this week and I forgot to order the fuel gauge also so I ordered that also..... just picked up a new fuse box and some wire.... gonna start on that tomorrow hopefully.

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 10:29pm

The last 2 coats I put a enamel crystallizer in and wow that dried real fast. I was able to start putting it back together.

gosh I must be slow or don't understand...you rolled this paint job??!!

holy cow.....

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: September-30-2016 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

gosh I must be slow or don't understand...you rolled this paint job??!!

holy cow.....

john

Yea I rolled and tip for the first time and I'm super impressed with the outcome...... even for being cheep paint it come out like glass..... took me a few days but looks really good even up close

Print Page | Close Window