Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40867
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 12:38pm

Topic: no fire
Posted By: dwcar
Subject: no fire
Date Posted: April-16-2017 at 11:47pm
Just installed new points. Boat was running before. no fire to plugs. pulled wire off of distributer that comes from the coil and no fire out of coil. should I be able to see fire from the coil??

-------------
83Ski

Replies:
Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: April-17-2017 at 12:09am
Take a look at how the points are installed. Is the wire pinched or something like that? Is the gap right?

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-17-2017 at 10:16am
Don,
Yes, you should see a spark off the coil lead when the points open. The point set grounds the coil to "charge" it then, when the point set opens is when you should get the spark. As Chris mentioned, are the points installed correctly? IE, did you set the initial gap so they open? Checking for spark from the coil is a good initial test since it isolates the distributor just in case there's a problem with it. As the name implies, the distributor simply distributes the spark to the proper cylinder at the proper time. For the coil only test, stick one of your plug wires with a plug in the coil and then ground and unground the - side of the coil. I have a feeling your point set isn't opening ungrounding the coil.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-17-2017 at 2:53pm
Thanks guys! I will double check my gap!

-------------
83Ski

Date Posted: April-24-2017 at 3:13pm
Turns out it was a bad wire from the coil to dist.   She came back to life this weekend!

-------------
83Ski

Print Page | Close Window