Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41773
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 6:22am

Topic: Prop shaft where to buy.
Posted By: mfinch
Subject: Prop shaft where to buy.
Date Posted: August-17-2017 at 7:27pm
I just measured my prop shaft and it was 0.030" bent. I need a new shaft and i am not buying it here because they want $900 for one. I looked on the nautiqueparts.com page and they wanted $435. I talked to generalpropeller.com and they quoted me $255. I don't need the coupler and i refuse to buy a used shaft as it will probably be bent when i get it. Does anyone know the absolute best place to get a prop shaft?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-17-2017 at 7:45pm
Matt,
If you are concerned with the price, have the old one straightened. If not, then the best option is an ARE shaft http://www.skidim.com/Drive-Shafts/products/1160/" rel="nofollow - at Skidim It's a double taper system that eliminates the hassle of the heat shrink interference fit on the coupling at the trans. Have you tried to remove the trans coupling yet?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-17-2017 at 8:15pm
they didnt seem to think they coul get it straight within 0.003" at the machine shop

Date Posted: August-17-2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by mfinch mfinch wrote:

they didnt seem to think they coul get it straight within 0.003" at the machine shop

Sounds like you have a real problem up there with prop shops and machine shops!! Where's the shaft bent? Again, were you able to remove the trans coupling? If it came off easy, then the fit has fretted and the coupling is bad. The shaft to coupling bore should be .000 to -.0005 interference.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: August-17-2017 at 9:34pm
Poor guy. I am so spoiled down here. I wish there was something i could do to help him. Why don't you wait for winter and come down when its frozen up there. Bring your running gear and drop it off at my guys shop while you soak up the sunshine.

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Posted By: Nautiquehunter
Date Posted: August-18-2017 at 9:14am
I had good luck with General Propeller in FL. They make them there the shaft for my Supra was 260.00 2 years ago.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: August-18-2017 at 10:01am
I also went with general prop shaft.     If I had it to do over, I'd spend the extra money & go with ARE.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: August-18-2017 at 10:19am
General propeller also has a dual taper shaft that is worth comparing to the ARE system shafts as well .

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: August-18-2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

General propeller also has a dual taper shaft that is worth comparing to the ARE system shafts as well .

^^

Posted By: Nautiquehunter
Date Posted: August-18-2017 at 8:41pm
I bought a Supra Comp with a broken shaft . I sent in the piece I had and they sent me a replacement . It fit perfect and has been 2 years no problems.

Date Posted: August-19-2017 at 9:16am
Matt,
I'd hate for you to get a shaft only to find out your existing coupling half is fretted and bad so, do get some measurements. Also, keep in mind shafting has a dia. tolerance and couplings are typically bored to the shaft dia. for a matching set.
Originally posted by mfinch mfinch wrote:

I don't need the coupler
Thanks

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Matt,
it's a heat shrink interference fit on the coupling at the trans. Have you tried to remove the trans coupling yet?

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Again, were you able to remove the trans coupling? If it came off easy, then the fit has fretted and the coupling is bad. The shaft to coupling bore should be .000 to -.0005 interference.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-20-2017 at 1:07am
Yeah I'll probably go with a new coupler then too

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-20-2017 at 1:29am
Go with a dual taper shaft unless you want to take that new coupler,put it in a BBQ grill to get it good and hot then climb into the boat with it and try to fit it to the shaft before it cools off. Unless you enjoy that sort of thing   

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Print Page | Close Window