Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41819
Printed Date: April-26-2024 at 2:11am

Topic: 1993 Ski Nautique parts
Posted By: flyfishdelta
Subject: 1993 Ski Nautique parts
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 8:10pm
I have one of the "rare 1993 Ski Nautique's and have had a great deal of issues identifying part numbers for replacement. having searched high and low for cross reference information, emailing the mfg, speaking with mechanics, part manufacturers... I thought I would start listing known replacement parts in one location for the future "fly" to find easily.
This boat was a rescue, motor was seized, the haul in decent shape, carpet is gone, vinal good. A very thoughtful friend gave it to my son and now he and I have the father/son project "of a lifetime?"
We removed the valve covers, plugs and the exhaust manifold, soaked the carb, and pistons with tranny fluid, marvel... she now turns.

I have the 5.8 Liter reverse rotation (1-8-7-3-6-2-4-5) motor with the 1:1 transmission
OEM Starter: (very difficult to locate the original part number) RA122002 (this is the CCW starter)
Aftermarket: Arco 70201

I'm looking for the correct exhaust manifold gaskets next, if you know the correct one's please feel free to add. I hope to complete this list as I move forward, but I just ordered my starter.

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 8:15pm
Steve,
I'm glad you found us and joined the site. Now, you will not have any problems finding not so hard to find parts!

Welcome to CCfan. We love pictures and always ask for them.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: fgroce
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 8:35pm
Welcome to the forum and by all means post pictures.

-------------
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 10:08pm
Steve, You are not the only 93 that has the reverse rotation engine and 1:1 on this site, I believe Brian (BRI892001) also has a similar bare bones model.   They are pretty boats!   

on the Exhaust gaskets, SKI dim would have them readily available, as would Nautique parts. (banner on top of page if you have trouble finding them)
. I am assuming that your engine is a ford 351W , but a model number would clear that up pretty quickly.   The Reverse rotation engines are common to the 88 and earlier Nautiques so that isn't rare in the least, just not as common as standard rotation in the model year you have.

Welcome to the site! read read read, and you'll probably find some new friends along the way.

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Steve, You are not the only 93 that has the reverse rotation engine and 1:1 on this site, I believe Brian (BRI892001) also has a similar bare bones model.   They are pretty boats!   

Yup, I do. Thanks, I originally bought it because it was more affordable than most 93+ boats I had seen, but I've come to really appreciate it.

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 10:57pm
Just go to any auto parts store and get exhaust gaskets for a Ford 351 there's no difference between a righty and a lefty for the exhaust. Way cheaper than the places mentioned above.
Just so you know it's not that rare.

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: August-23-2017 at 11:26pm
Here are a bunch of part numbers for PCM engines printed in 1998 so your 93 stuff is in there

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/PCM_Schematics/PCM-Ford.PDF" rel="nofollow - parts manual

Date Posted: August-24-2017 at 2:59pm
Hi folks, thanks for all the input...
My boat engine model number is PRD-PR-R10 run searches all over with little to no help. so I guess I should have joined this forum earlier. it seems to be a rare combination for that model/ year and thats why I had so many issues, couldn't find the original parts numbers to cross reference. so many of you post the details about the standard rotation with the 1.123:1 tranny, it gets a bit confusing when you have power train differences.... in the same model year.

I really do appreciate all the help. the starter arrives tomorrow, so I hope this thing will run this weekend.

fly

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: August-24-2017 at 2:59pm
sorry about the pic, guys the format changed on the upload

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: August-24-2017 at 4:54pm
I found a partial list like this before, but not a complete doc. Thanks You so much, this would have saved me a week.

Fly

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: August-25-2017 at 11:07pm

You need one of the PCM secret decoder rings to decipher your tag. It would tell you the following

P- Pleasurecraft
R- Right hand rotation engine
D- 351 Ford (std output)
P- PCM transmission
R- Reverse or reduction gear (this one's a little confusing because it says "reverse or reduction gear" but it means you have a straight inboard transmission
R- Right Hand propeller
10-it's a 1 to 1 transmission

Date Posted: August-28-2017 at 5:26pm
I also found this on Saturday, the engine type D means it's a standard motor @ 240 HP, I looked at the heads and I have 2 bars not 3 so I guess I didn't get the GT40 heads. Bummer. but I'm sure it will have enough power.

Thanks Keno, and to all, the mystery boat is starting to reveal itself.

Fly

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: August-29-2017 at 5:39pm
Welcome to club '93! I have a "normal" rotation boat, but I know of a boat just like yours on my lake (Lake Stevens in Washington). They are cool little machines. I think that Art informed us the factory called them "Scrappy" Ski Nautiques. Stripped down, bare bones, hard core ski machines in 1993. A good idea that many of us wish was still in vogue at Nautique today! Congrats on the boat. What parts do you need? Carpet on your boat is pretty easy. Cut it a bit big, lay it in the boat, trim, and then start gluing it in sections. I was really nervous when I did mine but it turned out to be pretty forgiving and simple to do. -Kevin

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-29-2017 at 6:01pm
Not all boats that received the RH/1:1 powertrains in the mid 90's were true "scrappy" boats (aka Nautique "Standard"). Those were legit no frill boats with reduced gelcoat colors, less vinyl (coaming pads, motorbox, back seat, etc). We have encountered enough "normal" optioned boats with RH/1:1 (including some pro boss) to surmise that the "power plus" package must have been an option- though it was checked a lot more often than it wasn't.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-29-2017 at 8:50pm
I wonder how many boats are ordered vs built for just a dealer or as in the old days one of the distribution centers. I guess that maybe with price of them now that none are built on speculation?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-31-2017 at 6:18pm
So - we need more photos to identify your boat! Show us what the inside looks like.

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2017 at 9:02pm
looks just like yours :-)

except not as clean,   when I get it running, I'll add some more pics, it was left unattended for a couple of years.

S

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: August-31-2017 at 10:11pm
If you only knew-- Post up a link to your project Kevin. It's a poster child as to what can be done.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-05-2017 at 5:22pm
Oh, I hate to brag but.... You can watch the journey unfold at my blog,
http://kroundysboat.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - KRoundy's Boat Blog

Here's what I started with:

It was a beat-up ski school boat with cracks in the floor, a miss-matched engine cover and oh yeah, it had no engine. Or trailer. I stripped it bare and built it back up. It was an amazing journey I never could have completed without all my friends here at CCF!

Kevin

-------------

Date Posted: September-05-2017 at 5:51pm
Kevin,
You're not bragging! All the hard work you put into the boat sure shows. Looks fantastic! I enjoyed going through your blog except for the tubing part. Now to get to that pesky trans leak.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: September-05-2017 at 6:06pm
Flyfish, are you in Discovery Bay? Photo of boat in water appears to be DB.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: FredWSauer
Date Posted: September-05-2017 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kevin,
Now to get to that pesky trans leak.

We should figure out who was building trans in 1993. I have seen numerous posts, videos, etc. where the leak is on an original trans with a bad gasket install. My 93 has 700 hours and leaks; but, I'm not ready to tear into it. - Fred

-------------
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat

Posted By: flyweed
Date Posted: September-06-2017 at 3:15pm
Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us. I too have a 1993 SN, 351W, with the 1;1 transmission. I would say they were anything BUT a bare bones SN. I've put in about a years worth of "work" on my boat to get it to where it is today. They are great boats. Here are a few pics of my 93. The first one is the day we picked it up...worn,scratched faded gelcoat, inside was tired as well.   Last two pics AFTER I put a TON of "arm work" into the gel coat, and interior. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

-------------
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!

Date Posted: September-06-2017 at 3:16pm
No trans. leak in mine..and she has almost 1800 hours on it.

-------------

Date Posted: September-06-2017 at 6:37pm
recognize the place???

Sure am, looks like we have a lot of SN's in the neigborhood.
fly

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-06-2017 at 6:39pm
Nice, boats, Thanks Guys...

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Posted By: fgroce
Date Posted: September-06-2017 at 7:51pm
Nice boats, I know it takes a lot of work to bring one back to like new. But it sure is rewarding just messing with boats.

-------------
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-07-2017 at 5:31pm
I've solved that transmission leak problem. Art helped walk me through it. It's had two summers of leak-free use now, so I think I licked it.

I can't control what my family has been doing with the boat in Montana (I live in WA state). I keep saying things to my dad like, "Why don't you teach them to ski?" But since I'm not there I just keep trying with suggestions. My nephew learned to wakeboard a few years ago and has been getting better. His little sister is 12 or 13 now, so it is really time for her to do something besides tube too! Every year when I get the boat they try to give me that tube and I say, "No, you can keep it here, thanks." I own zero tubes, Pete!!!

-------------

Date Posted: September-07-2017 at 5:35pm
Also - next thing to work on is removing all the old graphics on the side. One side says, "Ski Nautiqul" because the upper portion of the "E" is missing. I need to get those off, remove or repair some scratches in the gelcote, and then install new graphics.

And I can't get the speed pickup to work on the Perfect Pass.

And I can't get the depth finder to work properly.

And I need to see why my fuel gauge still isn't working 100%.

And I want to do the 1993 Dashboard Grounding upgrade.

And.....

-------------

Date Posted: September-07-2017 at 6:07pm
I'd be willing to put money on it, that MOST of your electrical issues will be due to poor grounding, and inadequate gauge wire for both Hot and Ground wires. Do yourself a HUGE favor, take the time, pull your dash off, install a new grounding block behind it, run a new heavy gauge ground and hot wire from the engine up to the dash...and then ground ALL of your gauges and instruments to the new grounding block.   I was freaked out with the task, when I opened my dash, but slowly went one by one, and redid everything, and I have a perfectly functioning dash now because of it.   Good luck

-------------

Date Posted: September-07-2017 at 10:04pm
Dan - I'm not intimidated, just have not had the time. This winter will provide the time (I hope). Curious to know what type of grounding block you used? I've pulled off my dashboard plenty of times so there is no fear in the job, but I'd like to stand on the shoulders of giants like yourself who have done the job before and can tell me what worked for you.

Thanks!
Kevin

-------------

Date Posted: September-11-2017 at 2:43pm
A spark of hope, the motor is rolling over a little easier now after the new starter and a little help. The fuel pump is bad (no surprise there,) I picked up a carb rebuild kit. A little starting fluid down the carb and the motor roared to life for about 4 seconds... :-) I think the worst is behind me now. Lots of smoke to be expected as I loaded the cylinders with tranny fluid and MMO.
While I need way more time to work on this , might as well ask the question now. The steering is really tight, any input would be helpful, Does anyone off the top of mind know the different adjustment points where I may have RUST issue with the cable? at the wheel, in the back, are there any other points mid craft that may be a culprit?

thanks All.

Fly

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-11-2017 at 3:16pm
No rust involved. I have cut open 3 now. The 69 had sheath damage and would freeze in the winter so I changed it, it was the original with no other problems. The 95 went bad at 19 years , took both hands to turn, lube inside was dried out and gummy. Third was another inboards that was about 22 years old, same issue and cause as the 95.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-14-2017 at 3:42pm
So what Gary is saying is buy a new steering cable. That is the only way to fix it.

-------------

Date Posted: January-29-2018 at 3:45pm
we had a nice weekend, warm enough to work on the boat anyway.
Since my last post, and no I have not changes the steering cable yet. (I'll put it on a trailer to do that work).

I finally picked up my new exhaust manifold gaskets and put them on,
Rotated the impeller pump (thanks for all the other posts in general topic that helped me right my wrong.

since I'm sharing a battery with my other boat, back and forth some times I would not get the motor to fire, not even with a little gas persuasion :-). There is a small white 14 gauge wire with my positive terminal cable. this wire had a loop on it and sometimes the motor would fire sometimes nothing. while replacing the battery, I broke off the end loop of the white wire (very corroded... replaced the loop and reattached to the battery terminal. for kicks I hit the ignition and the motor fired up without spiking the carb. ran it for about 10 minutes and shut it off, restarted and the same thing... now she will start and run with the key alone-- all good there. She runs cool, and I can throttle up slowly up to 4k without a stall. quick throttle will stall the motor.

New issue, idles at 1200 RPM and I cannot seem to slow her down, is this just a sign that it needs a rebuild or do you think the throttle cable needs an adjustment?

I took it for a ride in the bay and aside from a very tight steering wheel, it just idles way to fast to maneuver the boat..

fixed list:
freed the stuck motor
starter
impeller
fuel pump
exhaust manifold gaskets
plugs
white + lead wire loop

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-29-2018 at 3:48pm
Also forgot to mention, now that she will run, The temp gauge and the fuel level is not working. (senders??? or do you all think this is a wire issue? just curious how long the gauges last?

She idled for more than an hour total Saturday and she is running smooth but at 1200RPM.

fly.

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-29-2018 at 4:26pm
Disconnect the throttle cable at the carb, usually it's a spring loaded snap connector, and see if it is/was the throttle assy holding it open. If it now idles down with it disconnected then that connector can be adjusted on the cable so that it just slides back on without moving the carb linkage. As to the gauges - disconnect the wire on the sender and with the key on powering the gauges touch that wire from the sender to ground and see it the gauge pegs. If it does then it's the sender or its ground. Do not use teflon tape etc to try to seal the sender that can mess with the ground. If that don't work you'll have to dig deeper- i.e. Voltage to the gauge, wire between sender and gauge etc.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-29-2018 at 7:44pm
Thanks Gary,

I'll give it a go maybe this coming weekend. Work always gets in the way!!!!

fly

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-30-2018 at 12:46pm
if you haven't done it yet...I HIGHLY suggest pulling the dash, and running heavier gauge hot and ground wires from engine compartment to dash..then install a ground block behind your dash, clean the grounds on all the gauges, ignition, etc, and installed heavier wire. I took the time last season to do this, and my dash cluster couldn't be happier. Everything works as it should.

-------------

Date Posted: January-30-2018 at 3:40pm
Flyweed,

Thanks, I read on another post about the grounding block. Sounds like an easy project and may pay dividends.

Thanks Again

fly

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-06-2018 at 6:14pm
Took the SN out on our first slow/fast water run. with the carb rebuilt, she is running great.

last few items to fix
steering cable
carpet
gas gauge sending unit...

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: April-06-2018 at 6:19pm
Congrats! Now turn the Bimini around.

Date Posted: April-16-2018 at 3:01pm
Teleflex steering cable: tel-SS14120 "Amazon" (probably could do a 19' rather than a 20')

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 1:28am
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

if you haven't done it yet...I HIGHLY suggest pulling the dash, and running heavier gauge hot and ground wires from engine compartment to dash..then install a ground block behind your dash, clean the grounds on all the gauges, ignition, etc, and installed heavier wire. I took the time last season to do this, and my dash cluster couldn't be happier. Everything works as it should.

Hot and ground wires? I've heard about doing the grounding wire thing with a ground block, but what do you do with the hot wire?

-------------

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 7:43am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

a ground block behind your dash, clean the grounds on all the gauges, ignition, etc,

Hot and ground wires? I've heard about doing the grounding wire thing with a ground block, but what do you do with the hot wire?

Kevin,
The terminal blocks are used to eliminate the daisy chaining. Adding the heavier ground and hot wiring eliminates the big voltage drop caused by the light factory wire. Old corroded and loose connections also cause voltage drop.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 12:05pm
I understand the concept, Pete. I've just not seen anyone replace the hot side of the system before. There's a whole write-up with photos about fixing the grounding side of things for this era SN. But that is all I have seen - black grounding wire. When the hot "red" side was mentioned I though, "What?" and thus asked.

-------------

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 12:44pm
Pretty common (more common) for the + side to be beefed up than the grounds in my experience... both help.

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 12:50pm
I just rewired mine:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42610&KW=&PID=547739&title=89-sn-2001-electrical-issue#547739" rel="nofollow - see pics about 1/2 way through thread

Sorry about the crappy pics.

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 12:53pm
You have to be just a little more thoughtful with the positive bus bar/block.

With the ground block, you run a new ground wire from the engine block to your new ground bus under the dash. Then just tie all of your ground wires to that.

With the positive side, you just have to make sure you don't corrupt the original switching logic. You don't want to accidentally have something be on all the time.
-The new positive wire replaces or piggybacks on the ignition breaker button
-Then the output side of your ignition breaker button goes to the positive bus
-Then you run wires to the INPUT side of all the other breaker switches, and the INPUT side of the key switch.

If you want to go crazy, you could do a switched positive (purple/ignition) bus bar, that goes from the output side of the key, to the input side or all the gauges etc.

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I just rewired mine:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42610&KW=&PID=547739&title=89-sn-2001-electrical-issue#547739" rel="nofollow - see pics about 1/2 way through thread

Sorry about the crappy pics.

Wow, nice clean/neat work

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 1:07pm
Thanks. I brought it home and had it flipped over on the dining room table for a few weeks. I verified everything was correct by applying power with a little battery charger.

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 3:36pm
recently bought a 24MS Everstart at Walmart for the 93 SN, ( it's a 24 MS / 1000CA, well it blows the breakers when I try to start the motor. Have to use my old Batt with 650CA from my other boat. any ideas? too much CA for the boat to handle? I have a 1998 21' Monterey with the Volvo Penta 5.0 and it can use the 24MS- 1000 CA with no issues??

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 3:41pm
Breaker trip has nothing to do with how many cold cranking amp capacity your battery has.

My guess is you have a short & your old worn out battery droops so much it doesn't trip breaker.

Breaker is doing its job.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 5:28pm
Sean,

I like your grounding block and agree that is some high-quality work! Where did you get it? Looks like you are using all of it! There is a lot of stuff to ground.

-------------

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 5:40pm
I was afraid someone would say that, UHG!!!

Now if I were desertskier, I would have all my wiring nice and neat to trouble shoot everything, This boat has come a long way from when I got her, I'll have to try and figure out where to start,

still have a few items to address, hope to wrap this project up in the next two weekends and have her ready for Summer.

I'll post pictures, when she is all cleaned up, she was so messy didn't want to distract from what the project is all about.

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by flyfishdelta flyfishdelta wrote:

recently bought a 24MS Everstart at Walmart for the 93 SN ...
.... too much CA for the boat to handle?

First problem there is the Everstart - never been a fan of those for a cranking battery. Cars, boats, ATVs, garden tractors ... seems they rarely last longer than 2 years no matter how well you maintain them.
Second, to a reasonable extent there's no such thing as too much CCA (MCA) for a cranking battery.   Aside from a starting system short, an internal short in the Walmart battery might perhaps cause the breaker to trip or the breaker itself is aging and needs to be replaced.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 7:13pm
Interesting thought on the battery being bad., I'll put it on my other boat (has two batteries) and try it.
As far as the Everlast, I have had great luck with them in my Monterey, I had to replace a 2007 battery this year, and my other 2014 is in the SN now. I think the key to longevity in the Monterey is the battery selector switch, I always shut it off when I'm not in the water. Planning to run duel batteries in the SN once I figure out the best location for the switch and new battery box.

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 7:26pm
It took me about a minute to run out and install the battery on the Monterey to check and see if it's just a bad. Fired the motor right up, so back to the short issue... any ideas where to start looking?

New starter,
cabling as required, no burning wires, arching that I can see or hear,
the old battery fires the 351 right up, first hit nothing sounds, looks ... out of place
shut off all accessories, so it's somewhere in the the starting process? the new starter maybe? that would suck!!!

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 7:28pm
Time to study the wiring diagram. The business end of the start circuit (batt to starter via solenoid) doesn’t go through the breaker.

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 7:28pm
are these breakers readily available or do I have to use the specific one from SN?

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 8:14pm
Which breaker is popping? The 50 Amp?

http://www.skidim.com/Breakers_Relays/products/1039/1/0" rel="nofollow - ski dim breaker page

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Sean,

I like your grounding block and agree that is some high-quality work! Where did you get it? Looks like you are using all of it! There is a lot of stuff to ground.

I used the same ones that Brian did. They come in two sizes. Used the larger one for grounds and one each of the smaller ones for power.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--standard-dualbus-100a--P009_273_005_005?recordNum=3" rel="nofollow - Blue Sea Systems Bus Bars

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 8:35pm
It's the ignition breaker,
Not sure the amps, I have seen 20, 40, and 50. depending on the diagram listed.
the 351-wire-diagram-1 identifies the starter breaker as a 20 amp.

looks like the 50 amp is on the motor, it was fine, the dash mounted breaker is the one that pops

Thanks.

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 8:53pm
I just replaced mine during my rewire job. I think it was 30. I replaced a couple of the most used breakers and cleaned all the rest. I first sprayed them full of WD40, worked the button for a minute and then sprayed contact cleaner and worked some more.   I would try cleaning it and see if that helps.   You can do it with WD40, contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol.

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 8:59pm
Also, the starter doesn't draw current through that breaker so it should be OK but the starter relay does. Did you replace the starter relay with the new starter?

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 9:50pm
I did replace the starter relay, forgot to list that part number, The old one cracked in half when I moved the + cable while replacing the starter.

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-18-2018 at 10:04pm
Steve,
Have you gotten any voltage readings when cranking the engine on both batteries? I suspect somethings up with that new battery since you trip the ignition breaker with it and not with the old battery. The two batteries are the variable. Get the VOM out and check the volts. A low voltage will cause a higher amp draw (Ohms law) and that may be overloading the breaker causing it to trip?

BTW, why the 1000CCA? Bigger in a battery isn't better in my opinion.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-19-2018 at 11:09am
Here is the wiring diagram that I believe was being referenced above:

Date Posted: April-19-2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

recently bought a 24MS Everstart at Walmart for the 93 SN ...
.... too much CA for the boat to handle?

First problem there is the Everstart - never been a fan of those for a cranking battery. Cars, boats, ATVs, garden tractors ... seems they rarely last longer than 2 years no matter how well you maintain them.

First off the proper battery size for that boat should be a group 65.

Secondly I’m not sure where KC is getting his information on EverStart it’s probably one of the best on the market for the $ as long as you get the EverStart MAXX. They are made by Johnson Controls the same company the makes Interstate, Sears and Optima Batteries
I have one in my ‘85 ‘95 SN’s with no issues, I also have two in my Power Stroke F-250 that are close to 8 years old and just started my diesel in - 20*F in Quebec last month.

Date Posted: April-19-2018 at 4:19pm
everyone has an opinion about battery's, I respect that. I worked on a project for a Battery mfg, and thats when I found out most readily available batteries are the same mfg, just a different label.

I was in the neighborhood of a Walmart and they only had the 24MS (maxx) in stock for $65 it's a deal. No other reason for that particular battery, I needed 2 quick for my Monterey and one for the SN. I know the hight issue on the SN, and I don't like that the battery sits so low in the hull. (we don't get a lot of rain, but when we do it's usually 1''s at a time. I want to move the battery(s) forward to keep it dry and in it's own batt box and eventually run two. One for just accessories.

As far as the breaker I haven't actually tested anything yet, looks like a weekend project. It's strange that the old battery starts the boat just fine, and I know it's still good with no voltage loss. I think a little work there will tell me whats up. After reading everyones comments, I think I may know right where to look.
This has been a great free project boat as I have taken it from a stuck motor, all the pumps dried up, starter was a big block of rust, and almost no steering to fast water over the last few months. I'm trying to wrap up the last few issues as I will be handing the keys to my son for his birthday next month. Free boats are not free as the old saying goes, and this one has produced some interesting challenges.

Items to go
-trouble shoot the breaker issue
-new carpet
-fuel sending unit
-repare some chipped gel coat at the transom tow point
-if needed reinforce the transom at the tow point
-detailing (maybe some new decals)

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-19-2018 at 10:05pm
The battery box has a drain that goes into the bilge where the pump will take it out, no need to move it.
I hope after all this work you put a cover on the boat so the 1”s of rain doesn’t end up inside.

Date Posted: April-20-2018 at 4:29pm
the end goal is to have two batteries. Battery box is small/ room for just one.

as far as the cover goes, with these winter storms, 1" of rain ends up being a full hull when the storm is over... Don't ask, just don't LOL to loud if your at work. I have to pull the drain plug on my Monterey, I only just installed a lift for the SN so I can keep it high and plug out during the winter months. (of course we had a storm roll through while on the lift recently and plug was still in UHG!!!

Just part of dealing with a boat.

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-29-2018 at 5:24pm
Have not updated the thread in a while,
Boat seems to run very well,
The Electrical is fine, had a bad connection. (Thanks for all the help and diagrams.)

Took it out on a long run, feels like I'm dragging a couple of buckets behind me... just a lot of drag. Top Speed is ~35MPH, The boat sat in the water for a year + before I got it and the hull had a bunch of crap stuck to it. I've tried Pressure washer and a few different hull cleaners, so far the only thing thats getting it cleaned is a plastic paint scrapper. With no trailer, sitting on a lift over the water, just not an easy job.

The prop on one blade has a small curl at the tip, must have hit a log or something some time ago.
So until I address the prop and the bottom, I just cruise the bays, nice and slow.

Something new, the auto choke quit working???? anyone have an idea? Carb was rebuild over the late winter, idles well, throttles up great... have to manually choke it to start when cold.

My projects lately have been rebuilding the dock around the boat and fixing the lift...

thanks all

Steve.

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-29-2018 at 5:45pm
how do you manually choke it?

-------------

Posted By: bb12
Date Posted: June-29-2018 at 7:21pm

how do you manually choke it?

Ummmmm...

-------------
1989 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: June-29-2018 at 10:11pm
LOL...

-------------

Date Posted: June-29-2018 at 10:24pm

The Electrical is fine, had a bad connection. (Thanks for all the help and diagrams.

Something new, the auto choke quit working???? anyone have an idea? Carb was rebuild over the late winter, idles well, throttles up great... have to manually choke it to start when cold.

Steve.

Steve,
Is the choke mechanically adjusted so the choke plate is almost closed when the engine is cold? Then does it open after the engine is running? If not, sounds like all the electrical isn't fine. If so, better get the VOM out and see what's going on with the choke electrically.

Yes, how do you manually choke the engine?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-02-2018 at 8:52pm
Ha , so the butterfly choke is wide open( cold) I can move it easily and close it to start the motor. Once she fires, the choke opens on its own and stays open.
I checked the linkage and all is fine, so the auto choke may just be bad or like you mentioned, maybe electrical or did I replace the linkage incorrectly?? I’ll have to chase down, but not while it’s 100+ degrees outside.
Just to hot to work on her now.
She runs good, took her for a 2 hr break in/ trouble shooting trip around the delta. Died once on rapid throttle, I tried to replicate and the other times she was fine.

Have not towed anyone yet, sitting here right now waiting for 5 pm somewhere to take her out and try it again.

Now where did I put my beer?

Steve

-------------
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Posted By: GHTILL
Date Posted: August-18-2018 at 10:17am
Flyweed,
My wife and I recently purchased the same boat that you have. Same color scheme. Ours too needed much "elbow grease" to get up to par. Our boat was the 6th boat made for that year. The gelcoat needed a lot of work repairing small cracks on the upper deck.. Wondering if that was problematic for the year or just our old boat.
The PO had replaced the interior (not very well) with their own idea of a color scheme. In your photos is that the original color scheme that our boats came with? I am planning to eventually replace all my interior and wanted to return to the original colors.Thanks for your help, Gregg

-------------
TWSS

Date Posted: September-04-2018 at 1:00pm
GH..I sent you a private message. But yes..these 93's seem to develop a number of the small hairline gel coat cracks, especially along the rub rail. I have some as well, but never did anything about those. They don't bother me too much. I did re-do the rest of the boat however. :)

-------------

Print Page | Close Window