Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41918
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 5:54am

Topic: ignition
Posted By: ace197414
Subject: ignition
Date Posted: September-13-2017 at 1:42am
i just bought my first boat it had a cracked engine bblock and had been sitting a couple years i rebuilt the engine it is a 88 celebrity witha 5.7 mercruiser engine. the ignition system that came in the boat is an msd billet distributor with a msd ignition box. i had it rumning and the ignition module went out so i bought a different msd box which was a red one the original was blue the red one i understand is for auto and i havehad to replace the module twice in 2 weeks i am thinking for the water and moisture shorting it out i have already put alot into this boat and dont have the funds now for a marine msd module. My question is i have a chevy 350 hei distributor with the module and coil all in the distributor if i put a seal for the cap so moisture cant get in will that distributor work in a 350 marine engine at least temporarily we only have about a month left of warm weather and will have to winterize i figure i can change it out during the winter so it will be right for next spring? i haveheard that it can be used and i heard it cant anyone have any experience on this matter

Replies:
Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: September-13-2017 at 7:39am
I am running a 6AL MSD (red) box on my boat with no issues and currently have 50 hours on it.   My concern would be what is killing the box you have? Correct coil?
As far as sealing the distributor, I would be worried that moisture could not escape. Normally they are vented with screen wire. for marine use.
Did find a "new" blue unit for sale . http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-6M-2L-6560-Marine-Ignition-Box-6AL-7AL-Drag-Boat-/222639184640?hash=item33d6545b00:g:0BsAAOSwN8FZswGE&vxp=mtr" rel="nofollow - MSD
Others will have to answer your question on using your spare dist.

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-13-2017 at 7:46am
MSD Performance Products | Tech Support: 888-258-3835

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: September-13-2017 at 10:32am
Double thread - can OP kill one of the 2?

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-13-2017 at 10:36am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Double thread - can OP kill one of the 2?

Chris,
Adam's probably copied and pasted the same on 20 other boating forums!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window