Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41931
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 8:43am

Topic: Yet More "Upgrades"
Posted By: gt40KS
Subject: Yet More "Upgrades"
Date Posted: September-16-2017 at 3:47pm
Well it's been a very busy week - week nights actually - continuing with various additions, upgrades and repairs.

First, FINALLY got that old strut bearing out - WOW, what a fight! This was obviously the original bearing from 23 years ago and with as much corrosion as was present, all the traditional methods did not allow it to simply "tap out" easily. I'll spare everyone the blow by blow, but suffice to say that I was very close to removing the strut and pitching it across the yard. However It did finally dislodge and I very easily pressed in the new ones thanks to input from this site - So thanks to all for that!

Next came some grab rails to satisfy Momma, being worried about our 6 year old granddaughter. I took that opportunity to swap out the old plastic cup holders with stainless ones and adding a couple new ones in the back next to the hand rails.

Next, all the gauges were replaced with Faria Chesapeake. Although all of the old gauges worked, the had certainly seen a better day. I decided to go with a GPS speedometer, eliminating the need for the pitots and for the second speedometer as well. This opened up a gauge slot, which I used to install the new stereo. I started "hot wiring" the new hour meter so the hours would match the old one, but having it connected to a battery 24/7 it would have taken nearly 28 days to complete and since I really wanted to get the dash complete, I figured I'd just do that part later.

And finally the Stereo.   Going with a gauge styled stereo wasn't really a hard decision as CD's aren't really used much any more. Most all music is either satellite, flash memory or Bluetooth, of which this stereo has all 3 and is upgradable with multiple pre-amp outputs. At this stage I only installed one of the 4 speakers, in the pre-existing hole @ the foot board so I could check the system. And also of course to cover the ugly hole! Lastly, I installed the USB and AUX input in the glove box to protect ones' electronics.

One final note: As I stated above, all the original gauges work, they just aren't very pretty. Neither of the speedometers' adjustment features work, but they've both been verified with a phone GPS to be within 1/2 mile an hour.   If anyone would like any or all of these, they are welcome to them (free) as I know there are those that like to keep everything as original as possible.   Just shoot me a PM with your mailing address and what you'd like, though I'd rather get rid of them as a set.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Replies:
Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: September-16-2017 at 10:29pm
I'll take 'em

Date Posted: September-16-2017 at 10:32pm
Guess I should post now that the gauges are no longer available as Gary was the first to speak for them.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: September-16-2017 at 10:36pm
No fair that bums retired some of us have to work for a living still

Hey Gary I could use the volt meter if don't need it

Date Posted: September-16-2017 at 10:43pm
By the way nice work....sweet stereo

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: September-16-2017 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

No fair that bums retired some of us have to work for a living still

But I'm on a fixed income

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 2:26am
Paul - Thanks, and sorry the "bum" got there before you did. Seems I misjudged the interest in those gauges - I had several folks PM me about them within a few hours of posting, Gary was just the first

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 10:27am
Fixed income with nothing to do so he's gotta have something to tinker with.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 1:14pm
Looks good! I hope those grab rails don't interfere with a slalom rope when towing from the pylon...

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: September-17-2017 at 2:06pm
Wow, you don't mess around. It is looking good.

-------------

Date Posted: September-18-2017 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Fixed income with nothing to do so he's gotta have something to tinker with.

Yeah, my wife says that's going to be me in another 15 years. I'm just that kind of person that can't sit on the porch and wave at the folks walking by or watch a bunch of TV and the like so I know where he's coming from.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: September-18-2017 at 1:05am
Thanks McD - It's coming along, got a chunk of the list done anyway. Lots of things left but I felt like these things couldn't wait.

JQ - did a lot of investigating beforehand and I believe we'll be fine. May be close for a kneeboarder or smaller child, but we'll deal with that when or if it's necessary. In the mean time momma feels it is safer.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: September-18-2017 at 2:09am
Tell momma not to worry so much.
My 2 girls have been in the boat since diapers (now 6 & 10) and they both started on a ski trainer at 2. You set the rules and enforce them and there's no issues.

Posted By: OldSchoolBlue84
Date Posted: September-18-2017 at 10:57am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Tell momma not to worry so much.
My 2 girls have been in the boat since diapers (now 6 & 10) and they both started on a ski trainer at 2. You set the rules and enforce them and there's no issues.

👍

-------------
Kostas
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6700&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1984 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: September-18-2017 at 4:04pm
Did you use a reinforcing plate behind the grab rails. Without reinforcement I think you might find cracking around the attachment sight. They are in spots where people will grab them and pull hard to get in the boat. Just my 2cents on this.

-------------

Posted By: DLafont
Date Posted: September-18-2017 at 4:49pm
Sorry to semi-highjack the thread, but I have a couple gauges laying around if anyone's looking (speedo and clock) from a '90 SN. Btw, love that stereo you put it, looks awesome! I have the gauges posted in the "parts for sale" section.

Date Posted: September-18-2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Did you use a reinforcing plate behind the grab rails. Without reinforcement I think you might find cracking around the attachment sight. They are in spots where people will grab them and pull hard to get in the boat. Just my 2cents on this.

Yes I did    I personally have never had an issue but have had friends that have. That was the first thing, drilling a 1/4 x 2 x 6 plate to back up from the under side.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: September-22-2017 at 5:46pm
I would argue that putting grab rails on the top of the stern of a ski boat will make it less safe for kids and everyone else rather than safer.   You installed them where everyone will be climbing in and out of the boat.   They are basically a trip and fall hazard. Let alone if a foot gets stuck underneath one and gets broken.    Also, when returning to a skier with the rope in the water someone will have to get up and move the rope over the handles rather than just sitting down and watching it slide across the stern.   It's your boat and you can do what you want but I think they are a mistake.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-22-2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I think they are a mistake.

I agree plus, they sure aren't original!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-22-2017 at 9:15pm

I would argue ..... It's your boat and you can do what you want ....

I see your point. However, I would argue that this is not my first boat. I've been around boats since I was 11 years old and owned a couple before this one for many years (and my son says I'm as old as dirt, so you do the math). The fact that this is a SKI boat is completely irrelevant. All of my boats in the past and the vast majority of my friends and family's boats have had grab rails around the bow AND the stern. Granted, this is the first tournament boat I've owned, but the fact remains that with hundreds - no, THOUSANDS of entry and exits and as many skiers, tubers, wake boarders and such I've pulled behind any one of them, I have never seen nor heard of anyone tripping over them getting in or out, much less breaking something.
As for the rope skidding across the back unobstructed .... each to their own, but on a scale of 1 to 100 that rates somewhere in the bottom 10 with us. Perhaps you go out with your bud. trading off all afternoon and that is fine, I can see it a concern with your situation. As for me and mine, there is rarely a time where less than 3 are in the boat even with one at the end of the ski rope.   To date, no one has ever complained or thought it a distracting burden to lift a rope now and again.
What's that old country saying??   This ain't my first rodeo .....

And Pete, If I owned a boat such as your Atom, I would certainly keep it bone stock!! Mine is a bit like it's 3rd cousin that lives in the Kentucky hills and doesn't get out much       

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: September-22-2017 at 9:39pm
Well as far as those handles go, I'd like to know how anybody can think a rope could get caught on any of them.

Smooth rounded curves with nothing at all to catch a rope.

To each his own I guess but I'm with you Joe

PS I like to watch goat rodeos myself

Posted By: Faceplant
Date Posted: September-22-2017 at 10:49pm
Handles look very nice !!

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 2:38am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Well as far as those handles go, I'd like to know how anybody can think a rope could get caught on any of them.

Apparently your not a skier. Try idling in a circle with the rope in the water and see what happens. CC designed our boats without anything that could snag a rope from the ski pylon aft for a reason.

Sorry! Just a purist I guess. My kids grew up in my boat and we never had a problem.

If your your looking for positive feedback on all your "upgrades" you're on the wrong site.

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 9:29am
I guess Correct Craft had other reasons for putting your trip hazard/rope catchers on something like this Nautique Super Sport

Here's another BFN/Excel with separate trip hazards and rope catchers

And apparently you're not a psychic either, gotta go and get ready for the morning's activities hanging onto a rope behind the boat

Joe likes his "upgrades"..................you obviously don't.

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 12:06pm

If your your looking for positive feedback on all your "upgrades" you're on the wrong site.

Hmmm.   A rather harsh and narrow minded view, besides being inaccurate. While it is true there are obviously a lot of "purists" on this site, in the short time I have been involved I have read countless posts regarding modifications, "upgrades", and added gear. Some like them, some don't. And while those that prefer to keep their CC's completely original may not like or agree with these changes, and even offer opinions, I have yet to encounter a poster berating another for their personal choices ... until now.    

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 12:28pm
I think the boat looks great. I'm not a purist...just a pragmatist. Go with what works best for you.

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 12:28pm
Much to the disapproval of some, I am sure....   I finally finished the replacement of the old, nasty switch panels with carbon fiber panels of my own design.   Not liking the original switch/ resets of the original craft, and the fact that out of the 10 switches, 7 were DOA when I bought the boat and another 2 worked only intermittently, I decided to switch everything over to a Carling style and add a few other extras that I thought - for me - would be useful. Myself liking to "personalize" my crafts, I went with a blue light theme for the dash and cockpit and even went so far as to swap out the standard lights in the gauges to blue LED's.   ( What? Modifying a modification? -- Shame on me ! .... )       

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 12:35pm
I am one of those that generally likes to stick to the "original", but this looks great and I agree is a vast improvement over what was originally delivered. NICE work! Smart thinking on all those power ports too!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: bb12
Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 12:47pm
Nice work Joe. It's your boat...do what you want with it.

-------------
1989 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 2:55pm
Joe,
The switches I'm sure will work better than the originals and they do look great. The originals sure are problematic to say the least. With the new rockers, what are you doing for overcurrent protection?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Wisky Badger
Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 3:08pm
Looks great

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joe,
The switches I'm sure will work better than the originals and they do look great. The originals sure are problematic to say the least. With the new rockers, what are you doing for overcurrent protection?

Couldn't agree more. I researched the switches thoroughly before making the switch and indeed found a significant number that found them problematic. I was considering just replacing the existing panels with replacements since they and the switches are still available, if nothing else for the ease of installation. But for those that remember my original post on the subject, the wiring in my boat was more reminiscent of a rats nest and needed to be pulled and completely rewired anyway.

As for the over-current protection everything is run through an old style marine fuse box. I may "upgrade" later to a resetable breaker box type, but with the overwhelming amount of repairs and refurbishing this boat was requiring I thought this would do fine for now since good quality marine grade breaker panels were literally 10 times the cost.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 5:25pm
Joe,
Nothing wrong with fuses and I'd trust them over breakers! Nice!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 6:30pm
I still don't like the grab rails but yourself and others do like them so I just have a different opinion. No big deal.   Enjoy the boat!

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 7:22pm
Check out this picture. I suspect it may have been the prototype boat used to get early brochure pictures. These cleats just look like their waiting to grab a toe or gash a calf. For what it's worth Joe, I think the dash turned out great. After seeing the old gauges, your poor boat was really neglected. Glad to see it reborn.
http://imgbox.com/AtERRnR0" rel="nofollow">

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 7:39pm
Understood Sean, and I'm glad to understand where you are really coming from as the tenor of your previous posts suggested otherwise.
I agree and fully respect everyone's opinion, or right to thereof, and try not only to adhere to it myself but request nothing less in return.   For those "Purists" out there - this site or others - I am certainly a purist myself, depending on exactly what we are discussing. As I mentioned to Pete a few posts back, if I had his classic Atom, it would be 100% original for sure.
Constructive criticism is always welcome with me and apparently on this site, as it should be.   And your observation of the ski rope is a mere extension of something that was posted previously. While I appreciate the input (truly) rest assured in this case I have more than enough experience ( that's a PC way of saying I'm old and have been around this stuff for a while ) to do the math on the ski rope trajectory while on plane and a bit of forethought, whether it be a snagged rope - hence the utilization of low profile pop-up cleats and low profile, gradual radius bends for the grab rails - or the potential hazards thereof.   Incidentally, my kids were raised from the time they were 3 and 6 ( they are 28 and 31 now) in boats with grab rails at the stern without incident.   It's really just a matter of what you get used to.

So thanks for your input AND your compliment - and thanks to all by the way - and yes, we will have fun with it, once I'm done with the repairs and refurb process .... Fixing, not mods or upgrades - at this point those are pretty much done.      

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

.. These cleats just look like their waiting to grab a toe or gash a calf.

OUCH !!   No doubt.

It occurred to me after seeing this that likely no one had seen the docking cleats, since they were just installed this last week. One of the relatively minor issues I've had with the design of the finished craft was the lack of any docking cleats. In certain environments, and seeing how some have tied these to the bow lifting ring or a rope at the ski tow or pylon, I understand why it may not be a priority or even an issue. I however, have the need and really don't relish the idea of crawling over the windshield every time I want to tie off. So the low profile pop-ups I've had on my other boats seemed the perfect choice.

Incidentally, that's a 28" space between the rear bars - more than enough for easy entry and exit without having to encounter the rails.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: September-23-2017 at 10:22pm
Glad to see that everybody understands each others point of view now.

One of those little voices in my head told me it seemed quite out of character for Desertskier. I guess now we know why.

By the way Joe, if I had Pete's Atom I'd put a tower on it probably made out of pressure treated pine and nailed to the floor and most definitely convert it to a Pertronix ignition

Just keeping things light

Date Posted: September-24-2017 at 12:59am

By the way Joe, if I had Pete's Atom I'd put a tower on it probably made out of pressure treated pine and nailed to the floor and most definitely convert it to a Pertronix ignition

You were the guy behind these??

http://imgbox.com/kfNaDfmb" rel="nofollow">

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-24-2017 at 1:48am
Hey, I like those stainless cupholders for the rear seats. Mine has those funky plastic pop out jobs mounted near the floor. It seems we always need more cupholders when on the Lake. Does that mean we drink too much?

Someone mentioned the NWZ having such great and near perfect lines. I could not agree more.   Love the style. I am biased of course.

-------------

Date Posted: September-24-2017 at 8:40am

Busted

I'll bet they had a lot of fun with that setup though

Date Posted: September-24-2017 at 9:41am

Busted

Ken,
You're not up to date with the progress I've made with the Atom. Here's the latest with the glassed hull, non original graphics and the best is the tower is now steel!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-24-2017 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Busted

Ken,
You're not up to date with the progress I've made with the Atom. Here's the latest with the glassed hull, non original graphics and the best is the tower is now steel!

Pete That's truly a showcase of your multi faceted engineering talents. You can use the tower to lift the engine straight up for transmission work or dropping the oil pan or a variety of other things..

Once again, I'll bet whoever built it had a lot of fun with it.

By the way, if I owned your Tique, I'd go retro with it and paint stripes to match the Atom Skier.

Maybe somebody can use one of those computer programs to show what it would look like.

It wouldn't be your normal run of the mill Tique.

Date Posted: September-24-2017 at 5:37pm

You guys are nuts....

Each to their own Pete, but you know I'm a finish carpenter .... I like the wood tower !!   

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: September-24-2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Hey, I like those stainless cupholders for the rear seats. Mine has those funky plastic pop out jobs mounted near the floor. It seems we always need more cupholders when on the Lake. Does that mean we drink too much?

Someone mentioned the NWZ having such great and near perfect lines. I could not agree more.   Love the style. I am biased of course.

Yeah, I never did like those flip down types that's why I added the stainless for the rear. Plastic ones will stay there for when someone is actually skiing because a 44 oz. slurpy sticking up really would catch a rope @@

Drink too much?   Well, I've always been told hydration, hydration, hydration!!   

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Posted By: Timr71
Date Posted: September-25-2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

.. These cleats just look like their waiting to grab a toe or gash a calf.

It occurred to me after seeing this that likely no one had seen the docking cleats, since they were just installed this last week. One of the relatively minor issues I've had with the design of the finished craft was the lack of any docking cleats. In certain environments, and seeing how some have tied these to the bow lifting ring or a rope at the ski tow or pylon, I understand why it may not be a priority or even an issue. I however, have the need and really don't relish the idea of crawling over the windshield every time I want to tie off. So the low profile pop-ups I've had on my other boats seemed the perfect choice.

I love/want/need those pop up cleats. MIght you share brand, model number, and place you purchased them from?

Thanks!

Posted By: kylem428
Date Posted: September-25-2017 at 3:00pm
https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/cleats-pull-up-available-in-4-5-and-6-inches-stainless-steel/" rel="nofollow - Pop up cleats on Nautique Parts

I put 2 4.5" pop up cleats on my super sport towards the stern and have been very happy with them.

Sorry for the hijak

Kyle

Date Posted: September-25-2017 at 5:14pm
Thanks Kyle.

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: September-25-2017 at 6:08pm
Wow-- with all the NEW Upgrades-- looks like you need some NEW Dash Pod Plaques E- mail me

mtmabe@northstate.net

Marty Mabe

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Date Posted: September-25-2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Timr71 Timr71 wrote:

I love/want/need those pop up cleats. MIght you share brand, model number, and place you purchased them from?

Tim, these are the ones I bought:

http://www.go2marine.com/product/387633F/sea-dog-pull-up-cleat.html

Decent price, well made, super easy installation. Shipping department of this place was a bit slow though.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: September-26-2017 at 11:02am

Originally posted by Timr71 Timr71 wrote:

Tim, these are the ones I bought:

http://www.go2marine.com/product/387633F/sea-dog-pull-up-cleat.html

Decent price, well made, super easy installation. Shipping department of this place was a bit slow though.

Thanks! I need to take some measurements when I'm down at the boat next.

Date Posted: September-26-2017 at 11:43am

Shipping department of this place was a bit slow though.

Were they drop shipped from the OEM or did they come from go2? If drop shipped, I wouldn't blame go2 right away.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: EArnold
Date Posted: February-25-2018 at 12:53pm
Joe,

Great thread, that dash is beautiful.

I've had it bookmarked for a few months and now that its looking warmer in NC I wanted to ask for any advice you have for installing the cupholders i.e. how best to drill the holes, remove the foam beneath, etc. This is an upgrade I've been wanting to make for a while and seeing how well yours turned out I'm ready to pull the trigger. Thanks much!

~Evan

-------------
88' SN 2001 New to me in 2016

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: February-25-2018 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by EArnold EArnold wrote:

C I wanted to ask for any advice you have for installing the cupholders i.e. how best to drill the holes, remove the foam beneath, etc. This is an upgrade I've been wanting to make for a while and seeing how well yours turned out I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Why drill holes in perfectly good gelcoat??? I just use the old school plastic car cup holders (the ones that have the tab and slide in between the window seal and window) and slide them between the combing pad and gunnel. That way you don't mess up perfectly good gel, can place them where you need them and as Pete would say...keep it original.!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: February-25-2018 at 5:39pm

Why drill holes in perfectly good gelcoat??? I just use the old school plastic car cup holders (the ones that have the tab and slide in between the window seal and window) and slide them between the combing pad and gunnel. That way you don't mess up perfectly good gel, can place them where you need them and as Pete would say...keep it original.!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-25-2018 at 8:26pm

Originally posted by EArnold EArnold wrote:

C I wanted to ask for any advice you have for installing the cupholders i.e. how best to drill the holes, remove the foam beneath, etc. This is an upgrade I've been wanting to make for a while and seeing how well yours turned out I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Well Tim,   as we all know there are those that agree with Pete's signature line "keep it original" - evidently you're one of those folks. And that's just fine, for those folks.

But there are others of us that have a different thought ... more like Duane's signature line ... keep it as original as you want. For me though, it really all depends on what we're discussing.   If we were talking about a cherry, all original 67 Shelby GT 500KR ... well, of course I'd keep it original - but perhaps not everyone would, and that's fine too since, well, it's not mine. But we aren't. And while there are plenty of folks on this site and all over the planet that have crafts of all sorts that are bone stock and all original, there are an equal amount that have a vast array of minor improvements all the way to full blown customs that have a substantial amount of upgrades, modifications and improvements.
Does this make either party wrong?   Nope.   I've ALWAYS been a huge supporter of one very important adage: To each his own.   

I've done things to my boat that I feel were either necessary, more economical or just plain make more sense - to me - than what the factory produced with the boat. All or some of them may not be what others would do. And yet what others would do may not be what I would do ( case in point - those cheesy plastic cup holders you spoke of -- yuk ) But does that make me right and you wrong? Nope. If that's what you want because you don't want to add or modify your boat in any way, great.   Just not great for me. And apparently, other folks from time to time.    

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: February-25-2018 at 8:48pm
As for Evan's (EArnold) question....   It really wasn't as easy as one might think. The top surface of the gunnel isn't perfectly flat. So when you drill the hole for the cup and drop it in, it would wobble somewhat, having an eighth inch or so gap on both inboard and outboard sides of the lip and resting in the middle. The installation can be done a couple of ways. One requires 2 different sizes of hole saws, and a very steady hand. The other you'd need a router .... and a very steady hand. If you're interested in a detailed explanation of the installation, PM me. I've done finely detailed work like this with my business for over 30 years, so I was very confident with the process.   If not very confident with the process yourself though, it may be better to go with an external cup holder of sorts because there are very fine tolerances with this specific project and things could go wonky in heartbeat.   

Have fun and enjoy your boat!

JOE

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: February-25-2018 at 9:18pm
Not going original? Then, there is one more option and that's going "cheesy" retro.

Nothing beats stepping into a 50's boat with those screwed all over the dash and gunnels!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-25-2018 at 10:14pm
Now those I like.   Still not what I'd do with my Nautique. Most of the time the plastic, chrome or stainless ones are mounted or hang inboard of the gunnels and with limited walk space as it is with direct drive boats, I'd rather have the walk space. There is a type that mounts on top of surfaces, just a couple of screw holes. But adding these rear of the observer seat isn't a good option either since they'd obstruct the tow line path, especially if they are being used.

And Pete, there's even a version of these just for you, mounted with suction cups to avoid screw holes   

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: March-22-2018 at 4:23pm
So we got more snow so I guess I should come on here and critique others boats...   

I am in the camp of having a clean deck too but I must say you did a top notch job on the grab rail/cup holder install well really all your upgrades as the dash looks very nice too! I get the ski rope thing but even with a completely unmolested deck, I have ropes get stuck between transom and swim platform. I have 3 kids (now 8,10,12) and would say I have a lot of traffic to and from the swim platform sometimes three kids and a dog at same time, + while teaching kids to ski or helping them get skis on... I am always sitting there! I'd think they would get in way more than help but I too am finally buying into the "happy wife = happy life" moto. For this reason, I will be installing seat heaters this spring...

Are your instrument lights dimmable? Specifically the stereo? My perfect pass gauge was my problem; it was distracting as hell driving at night or in fog... so I installed a kill switch to the light on the PP only..

To bad uniflex doesn't still sell the red cord for our rubrails! The would be the best $30 you could spend to enhance the looks... otherwise your gelcoat looks killer!

Happy boating!

Date Posted: March-23-2018 at 2:58am
Thanks. As it happens, I'm in the process of a 3/4 ?? restoration right now - well, resto-mod - and there are several other additions and modifications happening this winter/ spring. I was going to wait a year or so, but due to some surprises, I had to push it up quite a bit. Posting progress and pics in another post.

As far as the stereo lights go, no they aren't dimmable and none of the dash lights either. It wouldn't take much to install a dimmer switch though if needed.

I too wish they still made the red insert - all black is a bit boring. But all new rub rail is later this spring or summer so if that's all I can get ....

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: March-24-2018 at 10:47am
I bet the hidden side of your red rubrail cord is in far better condition... if you do go the complete new rubrail path... get it here:
https://www.integritymarinecorp.com/uniflex-rubrails" rel="nofollow - uniflex 92033

you probably will not need dimmer for the instrument gauges... just the radio. Or do what I did for the first 5 years and throw a towel over the dash at nite.

Date Posted: March-24-2018 at 12:24pm
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I chose blue LED"s for the dash lights- much softer light that is night friendly, didn't have a choice with the stereo. I never opened the case to see if it was possible to swap the bulb, but my guess is no.

Thanks for the rub rail link - I was hoping by the time I finally bought the replacements they'd start manufacturing the center bead in colors again.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: March-24-2018 at 5:01pm
My rub rail should be the same as yours. I have the black rubber with a red insert.
After an accident I thought mine would need replacement.
It had scratches in it and the red was burned black in a couple spots.
I actually sanded the black and the red lightly. Then used rubbing compound and finally polishing compound and it took out all the scratches and made it look brand new again.
This was a pleasant surprize for me. I thought I would need total replacement.
Maybe yours will buff up and look good.
I should add that mine had very little time outside so the rubber and insert were still pliable and like new for the most part other than the accident.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window