Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42457
Printed Date: March-28-2024 at 6:52pm

Topic: Help me price this 93 open bow Nautique Excel
Posted By: JohnMarston1908
Subject: Help me price this 93 open bow Nautique Excel
Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 12:58am
Welcome! First off thanks to everyone, all input is invited. I'm a bit out of my depth here, and need some help coming up with a fair price for this boat. I have a ballpark idea but I figured any opinions from this much better informed community would be valuable, if you'd be so kind to give it. I bought this boat from a friend in a bind several years back, and it has mostly sat garaged since.

Here it is, 1993 20" Open Bow Nautique Excel.

Tires have very few miles on them and are still in good condition with new bearings. Gelcoat is in great condition. Custom vinyl in great condition and only a few years old, Amazing soundsystem with another 12" kicker under the dash area. 1192 hours.
The prop hit a rock. I put a new 4 blade acme prop on and there was some vibration the next time I took it out. Been sitting ever since.

Again all feedback is welcome, I will try to answer any questions I can. Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: velde99
Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 3:18am
Message sent

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 12:30pm
Looks like it's in very nice shape, though the motor is dirtier than I'd expect based on how the rest of the boat looks.

I'll hold off on pricing comments, have a feeling you might have it sold to Rod already!

If you are successful selling it to a member here, give some thought to making a donation to the site. I realize you didn't list it in the for sale section but asking questions here and then selling it easily would be worth supporting the site.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Posted By: sport1999
Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 1:40pm
Is that engine bracing normal for the Excels? Interior and exterior look nice and the Acme prop is a plus.

Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 2:46pm
Msg received, thanks very much for the input!

Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 2:47pm
That's a great point, I would indeed make a donation to the site, thanks.

Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 2:48pm
I have no idea about the bracing unfortunately, maybe someone else could chime in.

Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by JohnMarston1908 JohnMarston1908 wrote:

In that case your Excel is worth $79,000.

-------------

Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

In that case your Excel is worth $79,000.
I think I just found my favorite forum member! Clearly you're very skilled in valuation

Posted By: velde99
Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 3:50pm
That bracing was not original. Looks like it is something used to hold the plywood dividers in place. Not original for sure.

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 6:38pm
The engine pix indicate a Pro-Tech engine management system with a carb (as it's a 1993).

Any issues with hard starts, intermittent shut-downs or balky performance? Those are some of the symptoms of a Pro-Tech system that is failing.

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: March-04-2018 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

The engine pix indicate a Pro-Tech engine management system with a carb (as it's a 1993).

Any issues with hard starts, intermittent shut-downs or balky performance? Those are some of the symptoms of a Pro-Tech system that is failing.

JQ
If it hadn't been cranked in a while, yeah it could take several tries. Once it's been started it'll start back up no problem. No shut-down or balky performance.

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: March-05-2018 at 1:07am
When my 1994 with the Pro-Tech engine management system started to fail, the engine would sometimes simply not start. Then I'd leave it alone for an hour or 2 and then it would fire up. It got worse toward the end. Then, while pulling a skier, the engine simply shut down completely. I had to be towed back to the marina. That's when the fun started and I yanked the Pro-Tech out and replaced it with an old-school HEI distributor.

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: March-05-2018 at 10:52am
Those Pro-Techs are prone to fail, actually still functioning ones are starting to become somewhat rare. Typically signs of it breaking down are missing at high RPM's and when they get hot they tend to not want to start. Parts to replace are about $600 these days. My 93' failed after 10 years and 250hrs, seen guys get 1000+ out of them as well so you never know.

No offense but that tower looks absolutely awful and will totally interfere with the ski rope when pulling from the pylon. You would probably be better off removing it and selling boat and tower + speakers separately.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-05-2018 at 11:23am

The prop hit a rock. I put a new 4 blade acme prop on and there was some vibration the next time I took it out.

John,
There's a good chance that the prop shaft is bent aft of the strut. It's fairly common with a prop strike. Did you or have someone check it for straightness? Max runout is .003" If the shaft isn't bent, check to make sure the key didn't slip forward during the prop install preventing the prop from fully seating on the shaft. Also, was the new prop lapped to the shaft?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-05-2018 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

When my 1994 with the Pro-Tech engine management system started to fail, the engine would sometimes simply not start. Then I'd leave it alone for an hour or 2 and then it would fire up. It got worse toward the end. Then, while pulling a skier, the engine simply shut down completely. I had to be towed back to the marina. That's when the fun started and I yanked the Pro-Tech out and replaced it with an old-school HEI distributor.

JQ

So not great news on the pro tech, I don't believe there's been any trouble with it yet but I suppose it could be a matter of time. Thanks, for the info.

Date Posted: March-05-2018 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Those Pro-Techs are prone to fail, actually still functioning ones are starting to become somewhat rare. Typically signs of it breaking down are missing at high RPM's and when they get hot they tend to not want to start. Parts to replace are about $600 these days. My 93' failed after 10 years and 250hrs, seen guys get 1000+ out of them as well so you never know.

No offense but that tower looks absolutely awful and will totally interfere with the ski rope when pulling from the pylon. You would probably be better off removing it and selling boat and tower + speakers separately.

No offense taken quinner, I appreciate the input. Obviously I'd rather sell it all together but...you may have a point there. I'll keep it mind thankya.

Date Posted: March-05-2018 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The prop hit a rock. I put a new 4 blade acme prop on and there was some vibration the next time I took it out.

John,
There's a good chance that the prop shaft is bent aft of the strut. It's fairly common with a prop strike. Did you or have someone check it for straightness? Max runout is .003" If the shaft isn't bent, check to make sure the key didn't slip forward during the prop install preventing the prop from fully seating on the shaft. Also, was the new prop lapped to the shaft?

Yeah, bent prop shaft was my novice thought after taking it out, There's really no good shops in my area. I never had it checked out, it's just been sitting since. If it were the shaft, about what would it run to have it replaced? I'll take a look at the key next time I get a chance, and no the prop wasn't lapped. I actually had to look that up. Thanks

Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 2:04am
Well thanks for all the input fellas, I appreciate the responses. Given the pro tech issues and prop shaft, I'm gonna slap $3,800 on it and list it on the sale pages. If anyone wants to come and get it, let me know. Central Texas. Thanks again all.

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 11:10am
$3,800 is very low.   Should be at least over 8K,   V-drives bring a premium. My Protec has 1500 hours and is going strong.   You only here about the ones that fail.   Swapping the shaft is a few hundred bucks. The tower looks a little funky but people who don't ski won't care about the pylon.   Since everyone surfs and tubes these days it is probably a selling point rather than a deduction.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 11:11am
??? OP asked for some guidance on pricing. 17 responses and not one offering guidance on pricing?   $3,800 seems real low to me. Any reason that is not an $8-9,000 boat. Havent I seen these in the 10-11 ish range. Ignition minus a few points and the unconventional tower placement minus a few points, but still...

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 11:55am
Agreed, start at least 2x that figure. Add a premium to any CCF member not in good standing.

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 12:36pm
Starting at $10-11,000 with summer coming. That is a lot to expect but it will be a hit of the wake crowd - not likely with the purists on this site. High (expected) hours means I would be happy with about $9,000. That, of course, depends on if it is as good as it looks and runs that way. Trailer too....IMHO. (not a performer with a non-HO ProBoss 351)

For the purists, Open bow 93 and esp. 94s are not all that common ............. but often do not garner a premium but sell better cuz that's that folks with a wake cru want.........

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 1:42pm
I would have said $8,000 but maybe the people above are right about it getting a bit more than that, approaching $10,000. It's a no-wood boat, v-drive, nice condition, and it's so expensive to enter the wakeboard/surf boat market with anything 10 or 15 years old or newer that this is a bargain boat for a certain group of buyers, really capable boat for the price.

On the pro-tec ignition - if it runs well, only a handful of buyers will know that it is prone to problems in the long run. If you want to be a very honest seller just tell the buyer that some owners end up replacing or eliminating the module, or just sell it as is.

Sorry, re: Larry's comment above, about not giving you guidance sooner. I held off because I figured you had a dialog going with one of the guys on the site and figured I didn't want to complicate things, but should have chimed in at some point.

-------------

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 1:50pm

It's a no-wood boat, .

It's got plenty of wood in the stringers. Excel/BFN were never made with composite stringers

Kinda like Bigfoot, rumored to maybe exist, never proven

Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

It's a no-wood boat, .

It's got plenty of wood in the stringers. Excel/BFN were never made with composite stringers

Kinda like Bigfoot, rumored to maybe exist, never proven

Oops! Thanks for clarifying that Ken, I see 1993 and automatically think wood is gone.

-------------

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 2:33pm
https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/classified-group-buy-section/boats-for-sale-by-owner/547987-91-nautique-excel" rel="nofollow - 91 Excel on PN

Date Posted: March-07-2018 at 3:09pm
That PN boat's platform scares me - too low.

-------------
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: March-08-2018 at 2:16am
Wow, lots of great advice here, guys. I really appreciate it. Seems I may have jumped the gun a bit there with my price. I'm going to amend my price target a bit in light of everyone's suggestions. To the guys in my inbox, sorry for throwing a price out there and retracting it. I need to get what I can for it I'm sure you understand. I am however going to keep it on the low end of the suggested price range, knowing it's not water ready and has a few issues. Thanks everyone

Date Posted: March-08-2018 at 2:26am

I would have said $8,000 but maybe the people above are right about it getting a bit more than that, approaching $10,000. It's a no-wood boat, v-drive, nice condition, and it's so expensive to enter the wakeboard/surf boat market with anything 10 or 15 years old or newer that this is a bargain boat for a certain group of buyers, really capable boat for the price.

On the pro-tec ignition - if it runs well, only a handful of buyers will know that it is prone to problems in the long run. If you want to be a very honest seller just tell the buyer that some owners end up replacing or eliminating the module, or just sell it as is.

Sorry, re: Larry's comment above, about not giving you guidance sooner. I held off because I figured you had a dialog going with one of the guys on the site and figured I didn't want to complicate things, but should have chimed in at some point.

No apologies needed Skier! I did receive a gracious welcome and some great firsthand info. Any numskullery is on me and no one else. And yeah, like you said I don't feel comfortable asking top dollar knowing it has some issues, on the other hand I don't wanna short sell myself. Just wanted to find that fair price inbetween. I think I've settled on a price I can live with. Also, I haven't forgot about that donation

Posted By: RammerJammer
Date Posted: March-13-2018 at 6:58pm
Don't let folks scare you on the Pro-Tec. I've got almost 1100 hours on mine ('91 Excel) with no issues, knock on wood. This is a nice Excel.

-------------
1991 Nautique Excel, PCM 351, Pro-Tec ignition

Date Posted: March-13-2018 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by RammerJammer RammerJammer wrote:

Don't let folks scare you on the Pro-Tec. I've got almost 1100 hours on mine ('91 Excel) with no issues, knock on wood. This is a nice Excel.

Courtney! Great to hear from you... We Excel Brothers need a CCFan Reunion. Gimme a call if you are down my way!   Steve

-------------
78 SkiTiq

Posted By: RammerJammer
Date Posted: March-16-2018 at 6:45pm
I agree, Steve, great to hear from you and I hope you are doing well. Lake Anna's drought crushed us late last year! We might bring our boat to your neck of the woods if the drought returns.

-------------
1991 Nautique Excel, PCM 351, Pro-Tec ignition

Date Posted: March-23-2018 at 12:50am
Originally posted by RammerJammer RammerJammer wrote:

Thankya sir, appreciate the input!

Print Page | Close Window