Forum Name: Boat Parts Wanted
Forum Discription: Parts wanted only
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42942
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 9:35pm

Topic: Steering wheel center piece
Posted By: Shaffer CCR
Subject: Steering wheel center piece
Date Posted: June-11-2018 at 7:55pm
I recently bought a 1977 ski tique. Some turd stole the center piece trim from the steering wheel from the previous owner. Does any body have any input to where I might find a replacement, copy, retro.etc. This boats in great shape, and the boat I learned the ski course on. would like to restore it to original.

-------------
Gregory A Shaffer

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-11-2018 at 9:02pm
Gregory,
The center covers are so rare, I remember several years ago one of our members was making them. I feel they ether get lost or more likely get broken when someone who doesn't know how to remove it, breaks it. All I can say is keep looking at all sources.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-11-2018 at 9:36pm
Thanks for the input, let me know if you think of any resources. I may have to look at making one. If anyone would have some original pic's, I'd love some guidance.

-------------
Gregory A Shaffer

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: June-11-2018 at 9:52pm
Relatively simple lathe job.   Need to get Pete to come off of some of his $$ and get a lathe. He has the background in machining to make them. I have an over abundance of tooling I can help you with , Pete. You could retire from HD and make tax free $$.

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Date Posted: June-11-2018 at 10:12pm
Duane,
I have a lathe but, you put wood in it!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-11-2018 at 10:19pm
Pete, Even better. Make a wooden plug and spin an aluminum cover!!!

-------------
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Date Posted: June-11-2018 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Pete, Even better. Make a wooden plug and spin an aluminum cover!!!

Interesting thought but, the snap ring grove is real small and could be a challenge on a spun part. I'll have to give it a thought. Don't you have a lathe? I've thought about getting one but would go for some old and then a rebuild. The "chiwaneze" stuff isn't the best.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-11-2018 at 10:48pm
I'm always coming across old machinery.   Agreed, don't buy Asian junk.   Monarch 10 EE is a great piece. I have one. Also a Logan 14" . Then an old 16" turret lathe. Neat old lathe, you can turn with the saddle and bore/drill with the tail stock at the same time. Both with power feed.   1/2" cut (per side) on aluminum is no problem. Don't recall the hp but it is a horse.   Serious about helping you with tooling if you get something. Duane   

-------------
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Date Posted: June-11-2018 at 11:09pm
I'd appreciate that. I have a couple Bridgeports we just bought, each with some different tooling. I have a couple friends with older nautiques that I might be able to put some kind of dimensions together from. At least see how the originals were cast. If I come up with something decent I'll post it

-------------
Gregory A Shaffer

Date Posted: June-12-2018 at 6:57am
Gregory,
The originals are die cast. Machining new is the way to go

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: June-12-2018 at 12:48pm
When Bruce was with N3 I bought all the ones he had left,got rid of the last one just last summer. Do not recall a groove in the cap,the groove the snap ring goes into is in the hub.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: June-12-2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

When Bruce was with N3 I bought all the ones he had left,got rid of the last one just last summer. Do not recall a groove in the cap,the groove the snap ring goes into is in the hub.

Gary,
Now that I think about it, you are correct that the wire snap ring fits into the hub. It's been a few years since I've had the cap off and my memory needed to be bumped!   

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: June-12-2018 at 1:19pm
I wouldn’t call it the hub... it’s a separate piece that is secured by screws that install through the wheel spokes and into the hub. The hub is a separate piece that mates to the helm shaft, I call the other piece a “center cap holder” for lack of a better term, that’s its primary purpose. It’s a relatively thin piece and tends to break at the flange- easily the hardest part to find as many have broken and gone missing. The center cap is hard to find now too.

Date Posted: June-13-2018 at 11:39am
Thanks for everybody's input. I can see I won't be pulling up to the correct craft dealer and grabbing one off the shelf (ha ha). When i figure something out I'll post here.
Thanks

-------------
Gregory A Shaffer

Posted By: ScottZ
Date Posted: July-11-2018 at 12:57am
I may have one in my collection. Let me know if you are still in the marketer one.

-------------
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier

Print Page | Close Window