Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46103
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 9:07am

Topic: Overheating 1989 SN
Posted By: djenns13
Subject: Overheating 1989 SN
Date Posted: August-22-2018 at 10:36pm
So I've replaced the impeller, got a new thermostat, checked the raw water filter, and replaced all the hoses from where the water would pass through the system. I was curious if anyone has experienced similar issues and been able to find a solution. I've hit the engine with an infrared thermometer but it will give low 100s and the temp gauge will hang around at 170 for a little then jump to 180. This is all while in motion, but no tendency to spike when at idle. I tested the thermostat as well and its functioning properly at the 140 degrees its rated for. Let me know.
Dan

Replies:
Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: August-22-2018 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by djenns13 djenns13 wrote:

I've hit the engine with an infrared thermometer but it will give low 100s and the temp gauge will hang around at 170 for a little then jump to 180.
Dan

Are you saying the IR thermometer indicated 110F?

If so, your engine is not overheating, your gauge is inaccurate.

Someone else on the site had this same problem recently, I believe it was a wiring or ground issue.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: bb12
Date Posted: August-22-2018 at 10:55pm
Chances are you have the infamous voltage drop/ weak dash ground and you’re not overheating. Run a jumper ground wire from the temp gauge to the negative battery terminal and see what it does.

You will likely need to run a new dash ground to the permanently solve your issue. If you search the forum, there are many threads about this and how to fix the issue.

-------------
1989 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: djenns13
Date Posted: August-22-2018 at 11:42pm
Sweet thanks, currently waiting for a replacement trans cooler as the one on the boat appeared to be bent, if that doesn’t fix it I think the wiring is my next area to attack.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-23-2018 at 6:35am
Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

You will likely need to run a new dash ground to the permanently solve your issue.

And positive feed besides the negative.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window