Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46812
Printed Date: March-28-2024 at 8:21am

Topic: Carb help!
Posted By: camron18
Subject: Carb help!
Date Posted: September-12-2018 at 9:56pm
So a couple weekends ago, i was running the boat almost WOT for a good run. Take it down to idle at the now wake zone and the engine jumps around and stalls out, cant get it to idle, but if i give it some throttle, i can keep it running but its suoer rough and the engine is jumping around check the spark plugs and they are almost all black. I noticed the nossles looking down the carb have been dripping some, but it was running really good

Today i got a new needle and seat, and spark plugs. It fired up okay, but it still wont idle, now the engine is starting to jump around a little more also, and i look down the carb and all 4 nossles are dripping like crazy when i shut it down.

Is it only needle and seat that affect this dripping or is there more to it?
Im i right thinking that flooding it could cause the spark plugs to foul like that? But it doesnt make sence that i was almost WOT and then boom fouled

Replies:
Date Posted: September-12-2018 at 9:57pm
1994 gt-40 holley carb autolite 764 plugs

Date Posted: September-12-2018 at 10:02pm
Did someone say you can bend the float down a little to help the needle seal? Im hoping to get her running by friday for a friends batch party!

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: September-12-2018 at 10:38pm
You might want to check timing.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 9:18am
That dripping from all 4 nozzles after you shut it off sounds like junk in the needle and seat assemblies for both bowls..

You say that you bought a new one and changed it

Did you buy two and change the assemblies in both bowls or just one and change the one in the primary bowl only?

If you are on the water running at 25 mph or so, is it smooth with a fine spray from the primaries and nothing visible from the secondaries?

Usually a leaky needle and seat affects idle and low speed and at high speed there's plenty of fuel flow needed and the needle is off the seat anyways due to this flow.

Your old posts say that this is a converted Pro Tec with a DUI distributor so I don't know what you have for filters before the carburetor or if you have a bunch of junk in the gas tank that's getting to the carburetor and no matter how many times you clean or change needle and seat assemblies there's more junk waiting to get in there.

If it had been running good with the floats where they are set, you should have no reason to adjust them now

Did you get your DUI issues all straightened out and the boat was running good right before this happened?

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 10:31am
thanks for the replys.
im going t0 check the timing today, the only thing i can think of that would get my timing messed up is if i put the wires on in the right order but all off one post.

i just changed the assembie in the front bowl,because before only the front nozzles would drip.

i have no idea about fuel filters, should i check them? i did run out of gas at least once this year...

I had all the DUI issues figured out and it was runnin great, besides small dripping in the front nozzles.

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 10:48am
Running it out of gas is an excellent way to suck junk into your carburetor if you don't have a good filter.

I'd check/change whatever you have for filters and take both bowls off and at least take apart and check/clean the needle and seat assemblies again.

And.........if it was running great, your wires aren't off by one post.

If they were your timing would be off by 45 degrees and it wouldn't be running at all.

edit............that would really be 45 distributor degrees which would be 90 crankshaft degrees

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 10:57am
In case you messed up your float setting with the new needle and seat assembly, here's a picture of what they should look like

When the bowl is upside down like in the picture the top of the float should be parallel to the top of the bowl or some people will adjust it slightly so the level is slightly lower

The one in the picture is adjusted slightly lower

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 10:57am
shoot i was hoping that would only throw it off 5 or 10 degrees!

Ill check the bowls and filters.

it seems like one or more cylinders isnt working. is there a way to try to figure out which cylinder it could be? ive tried taking each wire off while its running to see if there is a wire that doesn't make a change, but that just ends up in me getting shocked.

Is there a way timing could get messed up if i never moved the distributor?

I could also have a spark plug wire tangled, but i was very careful putting them back on.

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 11:04am
In your words "it was running great" so your timing and wires are probably not the culprit especially with obvious fuel issues when it's off {the dripping from the primaries and secondaries}

It wouldn't hurt to check that the firing order is right though.

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 11:13am
am i right thinking that the 2 back nozzles should never drip unless running high rpm and loaded? so around 2000 rpm or less on the trailer the back 2 nozzles should never drip?

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 11:22am
i guess they should never DRIP, but spray?

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 11:34am
Never drip

The only time you should see anything from the secondaries is under load at higher rpm's.like above 3500 or so.

You need to be running on the water with the engine box open and the flame arrestor off to see what's coming out and it would be a spray

Revving in neutral you should see nothing from the secondaries.

There's always a little from the secondary idle circuit but you can't see that.

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 11:51am
alright i well guess that is what i should focus on to get it running smoothly?

to clean that out, just open in up spray carb cleaner and compressed air in there and look for debris?

thanks for the help KENO

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 1:20pm
Let's hope it helps

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 3:24pm
If it was me, I would remove float & needle, then spray it out.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 4:12pm
remove float and needle and spray what out? bowl? or everything?
Why take them out?

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by camron18 camron18 wrote:

remove float and needle and spray what out? bowl? or everything?
Why take them out?

I mentioned that earlier in this thread too.

Basically disassemble the whole bowl.

Unscrew the seat from the bowl and make sure it's clean and blow compressed air through the passages and then put it back together

Do this to both bowls

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 6:13pm
The crud will be trapped under the needle. If you don't take it out (takes 15 seconds), you might not solve the issue.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 7:16pm
Man you guys are awesome! Trying to not jinx myself here. But one hour. Took both bowls off sprayed em out and reassembled. Fires up and not a single drop down the carb. Has never started up so nice and idled so smooth.

Thanks guys! I think i must have sucked something up on my WOT run, but didnt notice it cuz obviously the carb was taking all the gas it could, then idle down floods it out fouls the plugs.

The float in the primary was slightly down from horazontal holding it upsidedown bent that back up some and no drips.

Thanks again guys!!

Date Posted: September-13-2018 at 8:44pm
Nah, you're the awesome one here

You did it with a little help from CCF

Make sure you have a good filter to help keep it from happening again though.

Print Page | Close Window