Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47112
Printed Date: March-28-2024 at 5:46am

Topic: 2001 Super Air Nautique Project
Posted By: Brit_hunsicker
Subject: 2001 Super Air Nautique Project
Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 1:12am
I bought this boat in Spring of 2015. This thread is what I have done so far and continue/plan to do in the future.

This is the day I bought the boat. Picked it up in Plattsmouth Nebraska. Boat was from Kansas it’s whole life as far as I understood and the owner had just recently taken it to his parents lake house in Nebraska. Now I was bringing it back home to Kansas.

Replies:
Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 1:18am
Okay...now that I’ve made my first post and figured out how to upload a picture, it’s time to get down to business.

I used the boat as is for the first summer. The work began in November of 2015.

The first project to tackle with this boat was the trailer. It was god awful and we even joked that it may have been a stolen trailer because we couldn’t explain why someone would rattle can this trailer black

Old surge brakes

New electric brakes

Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 1:35am
Here is the contraption I made for bending my new bunks

Freshly sandblasted

Pays to have friends that can help on a budget project

Getting ready to hit it with some love

Boiling up some water to help soften the new bunks

Paddling back to the boat ramp since I winterized the boat on the lift. Wasn’t really feeling a re-winterization...

If I recall correctly, I think I made a bet I could get from the lift to the ramp (roughly 200 yds) in 5 minutes. Let’s just say I lost that bet but was happy to make it there at all!

Pleased with how the colors matched! Not bad for matching the paint with a sample on the boat lift during a storm with a flashlight!

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 6:15am
Very nice! This thread should go into the FAQ's.

Kevin,
How about adding a link into one of your FAQ posts?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 9:36am
Nice work!

-------------
Js

Posted By: samudj01
Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 9:59am
Impressive work on the trailer...looks great! Once the boards were in the pvc did you bend the entire contraption or was it just for soaking in boiling water? How long did you soak and or bend in there?

-------------
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kevin,

We all know what FAQ stands for, right?

Love the red!

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 11:37am
Nice job. Nice set up, Makes it look easy.

Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Kevin,

We all know what FAQ stands for, right?

Tim,
Thanks for bringing up the meaning of "FAQ". I just PM'd Kevin and asked him to remove some of his links in the FAQ thread. Looking through the tread, I roughly estimate around 55% of his linked threads are not actually questions.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 2:20pm
Nice work. Your red on red and Chris Mars Blue on Blue both have Nebraska ties. Makes me wonder if they both were sold/ordered from what once was Competitive Edge Marine in Council Bluffs.

-------------
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Posted By: Treybizttu
Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 3:05pm
Looks great!

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 3:43pm
I would like to buy a "T" please!!

Colored decks are my favorite, reverse gel an added bonus. The only way to up the cool factor on that boat is for it to be Blue!!

Nice shop also BTW

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Impressive work on the trailer...looks great! Once the boards were in the pvc did you bend the entire contraption or was it just for soaking in boiling water? How long did you soak and or bend in there?

I just soaked these boards in the pvc for about 30 minutes. Bolted to the rear of the trailer first and then started working my way forward bending as I go. It worked really well, not sure how other people have tackled the project but I’d highly recommend this route.

Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:08pm
Thanks everyone for the compliments! I hope this thread is in the right section, as I’m still figuring this site out. I just looked at a few other similar threads and stuck this one in the same category. I have lots more progress to upload on this boat, remember we are still in Fall of 2015 at this point! Will upload more as I have time!

Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Brit_hunsicker Brit_hunsicker wrote:

Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

I just soaked these boards in the pvc for about 30 minutes. Bolted to the rear of the trailer first and then started working my way forward bending as I go. It worked really well, not sure how other people have tackled the project but I’d highly recommend this route.

If you find treated lumber that hasn't dried yet, it can be bent as is.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:43pm
Team Red.. Looks great !!!!

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 6:28pm
Now the boat project starts.

A good portion of the interior is getting new skins including most of the seat bottoms and the 3 back hatches.

Pretty dirty in some of the hard to reach places. Not sure if the interior had ever been removed!

Pulling out all of the old stereo system, including (2) 12” subwoofers. This one came from under the passenger dash which blocked off the whole entire compartment.

Wanted to go Wetsound but also wanted to be able to put gas in my boat come spring time. Had to settle for something a bit less expensive!

Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 7:02pm
It’s amazing what hot water and a power washer will do.

Off with the windshield. Time for some tint.

New sub box will double as a step and a seat.

This was probably the point where I really started to question some of the life choices I had made.

Extra battery and both amps under the passenger dash with room to spare

Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 7:10pm
This next batch of photos is still in chronological order with the resto. I threw the boat together just enough to get it out on the water for New Years Day 2016. Air Temp was about 38 and Water Temp was 34.

Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 8:01pm
All decals came off

Naked

Starting to put the interior back together

Wet sanding has begun

Above the rub rail is before. Below the rub rail is after wet sanding and first 2 stages of buffing. Still need the finishing polish.

Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 10:44pm
Handy having a painter helping you restore your boat. Endless knowledge and sometimes I’m lucky enough to get him on the end of a buffer!

Buffing is finished! Time for graphics and interior!

Date Posted: January-10-2019 at 11:20pm
Got the pinstriping done and moved to graphics next. I was told all my graphics will be identical, but don’t always believe what you’re told. I was told the same thing on my 98 Air Nautique and was let down then too. So you can see my issue was the driver side rear graphic. It is longer than the original graphic so it unfortunately overlapped the pinstriping and made it into the white. A little irritating but didn’t really have any choice. Luckily I was able to wet sand and buff any shadowing from the factory graphics.

This side turned out great!

Call me crazy but this is what I had to do in order to set these graphics by myself. Was a little skeptical, but it payed off!

Surprisingly I was able to match this graphic down to the gnats ass! Between this boat and the 98 Air Nautique I restored in 2014, this was the only “identical” graphic I bought that actually ended up being identical. Moral of the story, don’t count on your new graphic being the same as the old!

Interior is back in. Got all new seat bottoms, except for in the bow. Also did the 3 rear hatches. I ordered the skins from Christine’s Marine, being this was in 2016. I had a local seamstress remove the old skins and install the new.

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: January-11-2019 at 8:03am
Wow....just WOW! Fantastic job Brit. Welcome to CCFan, thanks for posting all the pics of the restore but most of all......Welcome to Team Red! She is absolutely a gorgeous boat. Well done sir!!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 2:14am
Timeline is March 2016 at this point

Going in the water for the first time since being finished. Only thing that caught my attention was the V-Drive light in the dash that is supposed to go away once hitting 1200 rpm. Stayed on for quite some time. Water temp was approx 48 degrees and air temp was about 55. Let it idle for about 15 minutes and ran it up to about 20mph and light still stayed on. Let it idle longer while I looked on thru some threads to see if there was an easy way to test the sensor. No luck on finding that, but then I ran it around some more and it ended up turning off. Didn't have anymore issues with it the rest of the day. Just something I will keep my eye on in the future, and maybe get a backup sensor just in case. (Unfortunately the issue lies deeper...I soon found out).

"We gather here today to join these two in holy matrimony..." 😂 Just finishing the last piece to the puzzle, welding the surge hitch solid, no need with the electric brakes now!

Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 2:34am
Time now is April 2016

Just when you think all your hard work has finally paid off over the winter, you get a reality check. Come to find out, the V-Drive has a crack in it and the oil was milky rust. I'm just the genius who forgot to check the oil until I had the whole boat put back together and on the water twice. I think what happen is the cooling chamber froze in the V-Drive late in the year when I had the boat on a lift till early December when I was repainting the trailer.

These 2 photos were taken while I had everything tore apart over the winter but I blew it off as no big deal. I meant to check the oil before I put everything back together but it ended up slipping my mind. I really assumed I just needed a new cover and would have to call Walter to get that. Didn’t get quite that lucky.

These two photos were taken at 9 pm shortly after I had pulled the dipstick to see the lovely milky rust. You can see the top cover actually clean split once I loosened the 6 bolts.

At this point I was thinking, well I’ve torn this boat apart once, I bet I can do it in record time now.

First I have to siphon out all 39 gallons, since I so conveniently filled it up after my evening wakeboard run the day prior.

And finally at 12:30 in the morning I got it pulled out.

Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 11:52am
Brit,
Did you rebuild the Walter or find a new or used one? Costs?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 12:26pm

Brit,
Did you rebuild the Walter or find a new or used one? Costs?

I will line all that out in my next post, but I sent it to Walter for a rebuild. I don’t remember the exact cost, but it was somewhere around $900.

Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 12:34pm
Pulled the bottom cover off the main case before I sent it off to Walter. Gears looked to be in good shape. No rust or scars. Now it's just a waiting game to see what Walter has to say. They did tell me that their turn around time is 7 to 10 business days from when they receive it...so that's not bad in my opinion. Good thing is that a week after I sent this to Walter I headed down to The Boarding School in Orlando for a week so the waiting game waasn’t so hard!

Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 12:44pm
Got the v-drive back in the boat about 3 weeks later. Walter replaced the cooling chamber and all the seals. I think a few other internal components but I’d have to dig up and look at my receipt.

On the lake for water testing. All is good!

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 1:27pm
Nicely done. Glad to have you in the CCF club. I especially enjoyed the trailer rebuild. It brought back memories....

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 3:36pm
So I used the boat 2016 and 2017 as it was. The time now is December 2017.

Time to do a major ballast upgrade and a few other goodies.

The first box of goodies

What a pain to get to! Trying to track down the reason the heater was unhooked when I bought the boat.

Well that was easy. I was preparing to have to hook up the hose.

I would solder this back together, but there are several questionable spots on this heat exchanger, plus the other stem is loose also. Worth $109 for a new core and the reassurance I won’t have another leak!

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 4:54pm
Outstanding job start to finish!   Got to say, you've got more stones than I, getting out there on New Years Day (though there was a time in my youth ....)

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 5:09pm
Laying everything out trying to decide where I want to start first.

5 minutes in and I already got screwed.

Just hoping I can turn my luck around after the heater not working out in my favor.

Do yourself I favor and wear long sleeves when drilling holes. Fiberglass on the skin is not enjoyable and I know better than that too...nothing worse than going up an down an old worn out fiberglass ladder all day.

This was actually a very easy process and not quite as nerve racking as some might think when considering drilling holes in the bottom of your boat.

Figuring out the layout for 3 new ballast puppies

Mounted on the drivers side gunnel in the rear locker. I saw many people mount there pumps behind the rear seat but decided against that as they did not look like they would be fun to service while on the lake if needed and just a very tight fit all around. Plus my drivers side is always light on weight so it was an easy way to add about 30 lbs on that side of the boat.

Wanted to mount the switch panel in a discrete location and thought this was as good of places as any.

This works well and is nice and tucked away out of sight since I have a sub box/seat set up between this panel and the rear seat, with just enough room to get your hand back there from the driver seat to flip the switches.

Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 8:14pm
Decided I’’d go ahead and attempt fixing the old heat exchanger. Mind you when I bought the boat this was unhooked at the engine so I was really not sure what all was wrong with it. All I know is that the solder joint on both stems is no good. Can’’t be that hard to fix right? After all I had spent 5 days a week for the last 4 years on the end of a torch...lol

Well, moment of truth...

And this baby leaks like a sieve from all directions!

This most definitely didn’t get properly winterized at some point in its life span. I will for sure be taking extra precautions when winterizing after installing a new one. Plan was to call NP and exchange the unwrapped heat exchanger for the wrapped one, but thanks to “dudebro” over on PN...he informed me that Napa has a heat exchanger that is nearly identical to the original. Pics of Napa heat exchanger will come.

Piping is coming along. Had to order some more fittings from WakeMakers because I didn’t realize the thread size on the 8.3 bags I have are 1” instead of 3/4” like the fly high bag I have in the center locker.

New chrome thru hull fittings all around the boat. Really gives it an updated look!

Took this picture mainly so I would know my Humminbird gauges are 2.5”. My water temp sensor is not working and was planning on just replacing the sensor. As I have seen online it doesn’t look like that will be an option since Humminbird is no longer around and most people are switching to Faria with the depth/temp sensor bundled into one. I was considering updated to the Faria unit, but you’ll see later on in this thread what I did instead.

Date Posted: January-12-2019 at 8:37pm
Timeline is December 29th 2017 now...

Reached my goal of finishing the ballast before the new year, as we have a standing tradition of riding on New Year’s Day here in Kansas. Unfortunately that won’t be happening this year as we’’ve had a harsh cold streak that froze the lakes over. Last year we rode the river because it was clear and the lakes were frozen, but last year the high on New Year’s Day was about 40 whereas this year the high is 8 with wind chills staying below zero all day. But I met my deadline and that’s what counts!

Date Posted: January-13-2019 at 1:34am
Trimmed the Napa heater core to fit the original housing. Here is the link to it from Napa.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NHS6603100" rel="nofollow - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NHS6603100

So I had a great time working on my Air/Water temp unit. I was set on fixing rather than replacing. My original problem was that the water sensor always read about 40 degrees low. I knew it had to be a bad sensor...and they do not make this unit anymore, nor could I find any old replacement parts for sale. I took a gamble and ordered the linked sensor in hopes it had the same ohm output.
https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/sensor-lake-water-temperature-2003-05/" rel="nofollow - https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/sensor-lake-water-temperature-2003-05/
Once I received it, I cut the wires back at the water intake hose where the sensor goes, twisted the wires together and bingo, I had accurate readings. So my thought from here is I’’m gonna do this right and take this new wire lead all the way to the gauge so I have new wire run from the back of the boat to the cockpit. I cut the wires a few inches from the gauge and spliced. Nothing no power no nothing. Realized I cut the power wires. No worries I’’ll just splice them back together...did that and nothing. Now I’’m getting frustrated. So 2 hours later and enough cuss words to give Webster a new edition, I’’m at my wits end and I’’m prepared to destroy this gauge in the process of figuring out why it won’’t work. So I forced the rubber grommet out of the back of the gauge where the wires go in and out comes a molex plug with wires. Cool, they have a circuit board with molex plugs inside a sealed gauge. So I say screw it and cut a hole in the gauge, I mean what do I have to lose at this point? So long story short I cut a hole, got the plug pushed back in and spliced my wires at the intake hose where the sensor is. That’’s what I get for trying to do things the right way I guess.

On the search for some underwater lighting and there are several to chose from. Didn’’t want to go the drain plug light route so I decided to look around. I hadn’’t seen much on these Rigids but thought it’’s name brand so I felt like it was a safe bet for a quality product. I was intrigued with the raw lumen output of 9,000, even though I know it’s probably a stretch of some engineers imagination. I thought man even if they over projected the light by double, I’’d still be happy with 4,500 lumens. And for $300 I thought it seemed reasonably priced when compared with other popular lights. I will make sure I post feedback on several lakes of different clarity.

Date Posted: January-13-2019 at 6:41pm
Timeline is now February 2018...

Made it out on the water for a quick ride and ballast test. Decided it was a little light in the rear with only 400s in the rear lockers. I now have 650s in the rear lockers and fill them to maybe 500 or 550 on a normal day riding. I am able to fill all 3 bags at the same time and it takes me about 3 or 4 minutes to fill or empty. Much better than before where I had to individually fill each bag with a pump over the side of the boat. That took a good 20 minutes to fill or empty.

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: January-14-2019 at 10:26am
Are you going to start a thread about the slant back you have there. I think it would be a good idea as you seem to have really good skills to fix boats and do the write ups with lots of pictures. Just sayin....

-------------
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Date Posted: January-14-2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Are you going to start a thread about the slant back you have there. I think it would be a good idea as you seem to have really good skills to fix boats and do the write ups with lots of pictures. Just sayin....

Actually, the slant back is not of my doing. It is a very nice boat that I was working on for a guy with a cabin on the lake I take care of. I joke around with him telling him the previous owner must have been a diehard Dolphins fan. That interior was redone shortly before he purchased and whoever did the work did an excellent job. They even restored the trailer too. I had the boat to do a full tune up and new muffler as the old muffler was leaking and had been patched several different times.

Glad everyone is liking my boat and the write up, I have one more update on this boat to post to get me up to current state for the time being. I think everyone will really like the next post

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: January-14-2019 at 6:27pm

Carnac keeps having fuzzy visions of a boat covered in Seadek or something

I think Carnac has been lurking on PN myself   

Date Posted: January-14-2019 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Carnac keeps having fuzzy visions of a boat covered in Seadek or something

I think Carnac has been lurking on PN myself   

there is a chance he’s onto something

Date Posted: January-14-2019 at 7:08pm
Timeline is now April 2018...

Had debated doing the whole SeaDek thing for a couple years but dreaded having to make my own templates since SeaDek still didn’t have this boat in their files... I got bored one night and got on their website and did a search for dealers of SeaDek. I was taken by surprise to see one within 20 miles...actually within 5 miles of where I keep my boat! This happens to be the only fabricator in the Midwest. The company is DekDesigns in Topeka, KS. I showed them a couple pictures of some other boats I’d seen here and PN and showed them the areas I wanted done. Here is the finished product and I couldn’t be happier! Safe to say I have another big project coming on, cause now I need to do the floor!

2001 Super Air Nautique 210 SeaDek

Alright, I know I may catch some *************** for this one. There is a lot of skiers on this page. I really haven’t got anything on skiers, I actually enjoy hitting the course every now and then. My buddy and I just like to give his family crap because they always want to slalom ski and we both have wakeboard/surf boats. He has a G23 so even funnier from that aspect. Anyways, over the years we came up with the phrase and it stuck.

Date Posted: February-28-2019 at 10:27pm
Back at it again with my yearly project. This one not so big but I try to do at least one thing each off season. I am having the tower and windshield sandblasted and powder coated. Does it need it? Not really, but I do have a reason! I bought a set of 4 flight clips that I planned on powder coating black to match the tower. And of course I can’’t have racks that look better than the tower. And if I’’m doing the tower it will make my windshield look bad. I sound like I’m trying to convince the wife right? Ha luckily that’s not an issue. Anyways here are a some pics of the progress.

Before I started tearing things apart

Speakers and racks are gone

Upper portion of tower taken off

Base and windshield off

Going to have the windshield tinted again while it’’s out of the frame. No more slivers of clear around the edges!

I’’ve already dropped my tower of to a local fabricator to repair the burst that happened before I bought the boat. Apparently water got in the tower and froze. The fabricator will also be welding all holes from old bimini mounts shut and grinding to a smooth finish.

Posted By: Parkinglot
Date Posted: March-06-2019 at 1:30pm
Very Nice Work Sir!

Date Posted: March-06-2019 at 10:53pm
Windshield has been tinted again and all frame pieces have been sand blasted and power coated.

These are 4 of the flight clips I purchased. Stripping them down and going to have them sand blasted and powder coated to match the tower.

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 4:00am
Got some new decals for the windshield and stainless cup holders

Tower being repaired. Can’t believe how well the split looks after some welding and grinding

Freshly sandblasted

Did a coat of primer and then sanded in order to get a silky smooth finish. Aluminum was a little beat up after 20 years.

Just out of the oven after powder coat

Got the tower back on the boat. Wires run inside the tower now.

Got my flight clips blasted and powder coated. Topped it off with some custom SeaDek pads from Dek Designs. They have this template on file now if anyone is interested.

Bought some tubing and bungees from Menards. They seem to work fine right now. Not bad for $10.

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 11:37am
Wow, looks great. Did you use new weather stripping when working on the windshield.? If so did you get it at Nautique Parts?

The only thing I did differently on my tower project was I installed an anchor light on top. I also installed waterproof plugs in the exposed wires at the hinge so I could remove the top of the tower and not fold to go into a garage. Never had to do it yet, but wanted to have the ability.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 1:01pm
If you are talking about the rubber between the frame and windshield, I did not. I just washed it with warm water and it was still in good shape. I did replace the stripping between the frame and the gel coat, and yes, I got that from NP.

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 2:33pm
Thanks,

I did replace the stripping between the frame and the gel coat, and yes, I got that from NP.

Yes, I need to do the same. Driving down the highway, on a trailer has pulled my stripping loose right above the air vent to send air to the dog house.

Your project looks great. At a fraction of the cost of a new tug boat.

Donald

-------------
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 2:34pm
Oh yes, forgot to say. Welcome to Team Red !!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: March-25-2019 at 12:45am
Awesome Job Brit !!   Everything looks great

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Print Page | Close Window