Print Page | Close Window

Shaft Removal

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Common Questions
Forum Discription: Visit here first for common questions regarding your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47237
Printed Date: April-25-2024 at 9:25pm

Topic: Shaft Removal
Posted By: bfootr
Subject: Shaft Removal
Date Posted: March-04-2019 at 8:32pm
Hello - New to the forum and my first post. I'm restoring a 89 Ski Nautique 2001 which has a bent prop shaft. I was able to remove the blade and the coupler that bolts to the trans flange. The shaft hits the rudder so I'm assuming that the rudder has to be removed as well to get the shaft out. Right? Any other insight into this job? How do I check to ensure the strut bearings are still good? Any other considerations when I reassemble everything? Thanks so much!

Replies:
Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: March-04-2019 at 10:35pm
If you can shake the shaft against the strut bearings, they are worn.     Regardless, it would be good money spent to replace them now while it is easy. you can get them from Deep Blue Yacht Supply or SkiDim.

Dropping the rudder isn't hard, but have someone help support it otherwise it will fall out.

Best to replace packing while you are at it.

Sounds like you will be scrubbing out the bilge soon!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: March-04-2019 at 10:51pm
Thank you. Appreciate the insight!

Date Posted: March-04-2019 at 10:52pm
Thank you!

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: March-07-2019 at 4:37am
There are some great write ups on this forum on how to properly install the new prop shaft.
How to set up the packing properly and how to install and lap in the propeller.
Worth taking time to read. Will save you money and make it perform like new when done.
Mark

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-07-2019 at 9:54am
William,
Welcome to CCfan. How about posting some pictures. We'd love to see what you are working on.

You may want to consider a double taper prop shaft and coupling. It eliminates the heat shrink interference fit at the coupling.

If the coupling came off your old shaft easily, then the fit was fretted due to strut and engine misalignment to the shaft.

Chris has got it covered regarding checking the cutlass bearing in the strut but, since you have the shaft out, it's a good time for a new cutlass.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-08-2019 at 7:03pm
Thanks. Here's a couple of pics of the exterior. Boat had significant oxidation which has been mostly removed through hours of wet sanding, compounding, and polishing. Still a lot of work to do in restoring the interior. A work in progress but tons of fun!!!

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-08-2019 at 8:34pm

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window