Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47249
Printed Date: April-24-2024 at 10:20am

Topic: Painting engine
Posted By: jterr
Subject: Painting engine
Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 12:10am
I have most everything off , but when I removed the starter I noticed a little rust on the fly wheel. I was planning on leaving Trans and bell housing on for painting.
Question should I take them off or is the little rust normal-this has been sitting for a few years
Thanks
JT

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 8:14am
John,
Your plan on leaving the bell housing and trans on the engine is good. When the engines were marinized, and painted, that's how it was done so the flywheel never got painted. The only ones that did get painted were on older FWF (flywheel forward) engines were the flywheels were exposed. However, you may what to R&R the damper plate on the flywheel since you have the engine pulled. .

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 8:31am
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

I have most everything off , but when I removed the starter I noticed a little rust on the fly wheel. I was planning on leaving Trans and bell housing on for painting.
Question should I take them off or is the little rust normal-this has been sitting for a few years
Thanks
JT

I think Pete just forgot to say it, but some rust on the flywheel is normal.

I'd probably rotate it 360 degrees by hand to make sure it's consistent and there's not a heavy rust line anywhere on the flywheel from having a bunch of water in the bilge for a long time while it was "stored" by the previous owner.

Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I think Pete just forgot to say it, but some rust on the flywheel is normal..

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
so the flywheel never got painted.

John,
I think Ken doesn't know that unpainted steel rusts.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 9:34am
John,
I mentioned the damper plate. Here's the best price at https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/marine-transmissions-and-parts-borg-warner-velvet-drive-zf-hurth-paragon/borg-warner-velvet-drive-parts/drive-damper-flex-plate-marine-triangular-for-volvo-io-ford-and-gm-120-8-1446" rel="nofollow - ebasic power

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 9:42am
John,
When you go for engine paint, do get the engine primer. The primer makes a big difference in how the finish coat comes out.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 10:50am

I think Pete just forgot to say it, but some rust on the flywheel is normal..

John,
so the flywheel never got painted.

John,
I think Ken doesn't know that unpainted steel rusts.

I sorta thought that Pete and I sorta think that you don't know what John's flywheel is made of either

Unless you want to tell us all that cast iron and steel are the same thing. They're not a lot different, but they both rust.

You could also mention the 20 dollar cheaper version of the damper plate (ALTDA-106) that takes some trimming. You know, it's the one you used. Then you could tell him how you trimmed yours and a bunch of other people have done the same.

Here's a link about it in case you forgot

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42615&title=damper-plate" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 9:46pm
Update:
I took the Exhaust off and tranny to replace the damper.
See pics-

Under left header

The damper and tranny

Bottom of distributor(I hope I can clean and paint, if the above is not catastrophic)

Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 9:49pm
John,
Yes, there is a $20 cheaper version of the damper. I linked the already trimmed version after thinking it may be easier for you feeling you may not be equipped for it. Sorry if I assumed wrong.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 10:20pm

John,
Yes, there is a $20 cheaper version of the damper. I linked the already trimmed version after thinking it may be easier for you feeling you may not be equipped for it. Sorry if I assumed wrong.

Never assume --- I ordered the pre-trimmed version.

But question 2 does it look like I need a head gasket. These have been replaced, has new heads/redone heads.
Just worrying about all that rust below head

Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 10:57pm

Update:
See pics-

Under left header

The damper and tranny

Bottom of distributor(I hope I can clean and paint, if the above is not catastrophic)

JT

Here are a few thoughts

Picture 1....... only the previous owner knows if those rust streaks were there before he replaced the heads and he just didn't clean or paint anything.

Picture 2....... on the damper there's that ugly rust line I mentioned earlier meaning the water level was high enough to have your front seal on the transmission underwater for quite a period of time (and maybe the rear main seal on the engine too) Also a number of the damper springs were underwater for quite a while too, but you're already replacing the damper anyways.

Picture 3..........That distributor has at least a couple of problems

First, it's just plain ugly

Second, that big gaping rectangular hole in the body is where a vacuum advance mechanism once lived meaning it's an automotive unit that isn't spark protected.

Back to picture 2, the cement blocks look to be in pretty good shape   

Date Posted: March-10-2019 at 11:05pm

[QUOTE=jterr] Update:

JT

Here are a few thoughts

Picture 1....... only the previous owner knows if those rust streaks were there before he replaced the heads and he just didn't clean or paint anything.

Picture 2....... on the damper there's that ugly rust line I mentioned earlier meaning the water level was high enough to have your front seal on the transmission underwater for quite a period of time (and maybe the rear main seal on the engine too) Also a number of the damper springs were underwater for quite a while too, but you're already replacing the damper anyways.

Second, that big gaping rectangular hole in the body is where a vacuum advance mechanism once lived meaning it's an automotive unit that isn't spark protected.

4x4's to keep off of my dirt floor, but thanks anyways-LOL yea nice bricks

Would you suggest just replacing the gasketPic 2-What should I do here[, with the seals ; malready orderes the damper/COLOR>Pic 3 I suppose I need to get another Distributor????

Date Posted: March-11-2019 at 12:33am
Would this distributor work
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Ford-Prestolite-Marine-Distributor-E5JL-12100-CA-Prestolite-7020S-NEW/331680410097?epid=1622285754&hash=item4d39b169f1:g:G1MAAOSwl9BWHH1m

Posted By: rosconole
Date Posted: March-11-2019 at 12:43am
You might find some one with a bead blast cabinet and see if you can save distributor, but its gonna take some time, its not rusted yet but its on its way. Looks like you have some other parts that need it as well. Ford blue or silver NOT a chevy color please.

-------------
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee

Date Posted: March-11-2019 at 8:42am

Would this distributor work
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Ford-Prestolite-Marine-Distributor-E5JL-12100-CA-Prestolite-7020S-NEW/331680410097?epid=1622285754&hash=item4d39b169f1:g:G1MAAOSwl9BWHH1m

That would work with the right gear it's the Prestolite screwdown cap distributor that was used starting in 87 or so.

It comes without a cap or rotor, you can find them at SkiDim or you can go on EBAY and punch in these numbers for the screwdown cap and rotor

PCM RA108003 cap
PCM R103004     rotor

or

OMC 984401 cap
OMC 982880 rotor

A little shopping will save you some money

You'd need a Reverse Rotation gear since the one in the EBAY listing is for normal rotation.

The gear on your present distributor must be a RR gear that the guy pirated from the original Prestolite. The present one looks like an Autolite/Motorcraft distributor that has the same shaft size of .530 inches.

Before doing anything I'd pull the distributor and post a picture of the gear

Date Posted: March-11-2019 at 9:02am

[QUOTE=jterr] Update:

JT

Here are a few thoughts

4x4's to keep off of my dirt floor, but thanks anyways-LOL yea nice bricks

Would you suggest just replacing the gasketPic 2-What should I do here[, with the seals ; malready orderes the damper/COLOR>Pic 3 I suppose I need to get another Distributor????

Well, I suppose the 100% foolproof method would be to replace both of the head gaskets and both the front and rear transmission seals and the rear main seal or rebuild everything.

If there was no water in the engine oil or the transmission, the seals didn't leak so depending on how deep you want to go into things and how much you're planning on spending that would be something for you to decide.

See the separate post on the distributor.

Date Posted: March-11-2019 at 12:02pm
Well I checked the casting # and the engine is a 94 not a 83 as I thought.
Good or bad -don't know

Also suggestions on cleaning engine without wetting wrong parts.

Date Posted: March-11-2019 at 6:00pm
Here is Distributor

Date Posted: March-11-2019 at 10:12pm

Here is Distributor

Well, the good news is the RR distributor gear should fit the EBAY distributor you linked. It may need to have a new hole drilled to have the gear at the right height on the shaft...... or it may be OK.

I'd make sure you can get it off with no damage before getting the other distributor

There's info about the height measurement etc. or you could ask here if you decide to go that route.

A 94 block will have a 1 piece rear main seal compared to the 2 piece you have now

It may or may not have brass freeze/casting/core/expansion plugs depending on where it came from.

I suppose you don't really know what you have inside that engine.

I don't remember, did this engine run when you got it?

Date Posted: March-11-2019 at 10:29pm

Here is Distributor

Well, the good news is the RR distributor gear should fit the EBAY distributor you linked. It may need to have a new hole drilled to have the gear at the right height on the shaft...... or it may be OK.

I'd make sure you can get it off with no damage before getting the other distributor

There's info about the height measurement etc. or you could ask here if you decide to go that route.

A 94 block will have a 1 piece rear main seal compared to the 2 piece you have now

It may or may not have brass freeze/casting/core/expansion plugs depending on where it came from.

I suppose you don't really know what you have inside that engine.

I don't remember, did this engine run when you got it?

Yes I got it running then decided to pull and do boat

I got this-

Date Posted: March-11-2019 at 10:38pm

I got this-

From here it looks like a clipdown Prestolite with the right gear already on it.

That would have been the original 83 distributor.

You'd make Pete so proud, an original distributor complete with a set of points

Whatever you do, don't throw that RR gear on the ugly distributor away. They're scarce and getting scarcer

Date Posted: March-11-2019 at 10:45pm
Roger That,
I'm thinking of putting the upgraded ignition in it.....

Date Posted: March-11-2019 at 10:49pm

Roger That,
I'm thinking of putting the upgraded ignition in it.....

That's OK, Pete has an electronic module in his

Date Posted: March-13-2019 at 1:53pm
Also suggestions on cleaning engine without wetting wrong parts so I can paint. I've been taking parts off but then I got a hole to cover....

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-13-2019 at 1:59pm

Also suggestions on cleaning engine without wetting wrong parts

Don’t clean with water.

Acetone on a clean rag.

Date Posted: March-13-2019 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Also suggestions on cleaning engine without wetting wrong parts

Don’t clean with water.

Acetone on a clean rag.

John,
I suggest a solvent like Toluene. It has great solvency and won't evaporate quickly like Acetone will.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-13-2019 at 6:01pm
I guess I will use a wire brush on drill first to get in all the crevis'; it is pretty dirty

Date Posted: March-14-2019 at 7:39pm
Update:
Started painting engine. Still got to remove Valve covers,Oil pan and Distributor will be a new one----

Date Posted: March-15-2019 at 4:10pm
Can this be explained, as I have never had it happen before.

I took the valve covers and oil pan off to paint and decided to go ahead and remove oil filter...It had no oil in it

Anyone else had this or do I have another problem

Date Posted: March-15-2019 at 9:41pm
JT

I say it's no problem.

Between taking it out of the boat with a tractor and setting it on wooden blocks and then getting it onto an engine stand, it probably got tipped enough to empty out the filter somewhere along the way

Also I don't know what you did to get the pan off, maybe drain the oil and roll it over on the stand to do it the easy way, but that would empty the filter out too if there was anything left in it.at that time

It doesn't have to tilt much to the right side to empty the filter. (at least the part you can see)

I have one on an engine stand that came out of a running truck and got jostled around some getting it out and onto the stand and that filter was empty when I checked it.

Date Posted: March-16-2019 at 12:27am
ok so no need to remove oil pump?

Date Posted: March-16-2019 at 9:18am
It seems that this question has multiple answers like most of the ones you've asked.

One answer might be "not necessary, leave it alone

Another might be "the pan is off and the pump is staring you in the face, why not replace it now?"

If you were to replace it, don't get a high volume oil pump for a couple of reasons

One reason is that it's not needed

Another is that it won't fit under a stock PCM 351 oil pan. It'll contact the pan before the pan is seated on the block. making it kinda hard to bolt the pan on

That's for a Melling Hi volume pump

Also a 1 piece oil pan gasket makes life so much easier than the typical 4 piece.

They're pricier but they work great.

One example would be FelPro OS30214T for your 351W.

Date Posted: March-16-2019 at 11:10am
This is the one I got hope it will fit -- Fel-Pro Marine Oil Pan Gaskets SFL17998

It said to use some kind of sealant , any suggestions

Think I will leave the oil pump as is

Date Posted: March-16-2019 at 8:38pm
I've always put their Perma Dry or Perma Dry Plus gaskets like this one on ....................dry and not had any leaks.

Most all of their literature for these type gaskets say dry with no sealant, maybe yours says something different.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: March-16-2019 at 8:56pm
I have used a tacky stuff that just held the gasket in place during assembly.

One less thing to trip you up during assembly.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: March-16-2019 at 9:24pm

Most all of their literature for these type gaskets say dry with no sealant, maybe yours says something different.

It said if the oil pan was flat no sealant, but if it had the raised ends may use in the corners. I will read again as it is up at barn.
Thanks

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: March-16-2019 at 10:05pm
I have seen somewhere, Summit? that you need to use RTV in the corners where the pan and mains meet.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: March-17-2019 at 9:37am
I've seen somewhere where it says to install the Permadry and Permadry plus clean and dry.

Here it is in the link

First time I used one I was a little skeptical but it fit so good I put it on dry and it doesn't leak

Then again, there are usually more than one way to do things and have it work so a little where the curve meets the flat part is up to you.

FelPro gives you the sealer with the gasket when they want you to use some typically. Just a small tube

https://www.felpro.com/technical/tecblogs/snapups-make-oil-pan-gasket-installation-snap.html" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: March-17-2019 at 10:02am
Here are JT's installation instructions for his Permadry gasket.

They may be in the barn but they're on the computer too   

Looks like a little RTV on the block side of the gasket only at the 4 joints

https://fme-cat.com/livedocs/1484%284-2%29.pdf" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: March-17-2019 at 2:22pm

FelPro gives you the sealer with the gasket when they want you to use some typically. Just a small tube

https://www.felpro.com/technical/tecblogs/snapups-make-oil-pan-gasket-installation-snap.html" rel="nofollow - link

None in my package...

Date Posted: March-17-2019 at 2:31pm
A little more reading in the link.

They can tend to be the masters of confusion with all of their directions/information. that at times contradict each other

https://www.felpro.com/technical/tecblogs/clean-dry.html" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: March-18-2019 at 1:51pm
Good thing I checked under the oil pan as the screen was pretty gummed up with sludge. Took it off and cleaned.

Next question can I run Synthetic oil in this engine??

Date Posted: March-18-2019 at 4:25pm

Next question can I run Synthetic oil in this engine??

Yes, but the important thing is the level of ZDDP. There are several threads on oil and what is commonly used both regular and synthetic.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-21-2019 at 10:00pm
Ok ordered the VR1 and Fram filter.

Now so I don't start another thread could someone direct me to where to get the water hose replacements.
Is hoses from auto store ok?????

JT

Date Posted: March-21-2019 at 10:08pm

Ok ordered the VR1 and Fram filter.

Now so I don't start another thread could someone direct me to where to get the water hose replacements.
Is hoses from auto store ok?????

JT

You done did it now JT, you said Fram and Pete's getting all worked up

Look in the Ski Dim catalog, you'll find whatever hoses you're looking for

Date Posted: March-21-2019 at 10:23pm
Oh Cheezz-- On that form for filters it shows the Fram Xtended Guard XG8A on top of the list

Date Posted: March-21-2019 at 10:27pm

Oh Cheezz-- On that form for filters it shows the Fram Xtended Guard XG8A on top of the list

And there's nothing at all wrong with using it

Date Posted: March-21-2019 at 10:35pm

And there's nothing at all wrong with using it

Thank Goodness

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 2:35pm
Question Question Question---

On the water hoses does it matter if hard or soft (saw them on skidim)?

Before I put alternator back on want to make sure if PO got the right one even that it wasn't hooked up
This the type Palladium P7127M-3 rebuilt

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 3:29pm
John,
I'm wondering if you were looking at "soft" wall hose and then the wire reinforced sometimes referred to as "hard" wall typical of the larger exhaust hose? For cooling hose, the only place I would suggest the wire reinforced is the suction side of the RWP. You don't want it to collapse. Then all the other hoses for the cooling, the soft is fine. .

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 7:00pm

Before I put alternator back on want to make sure if PO got the right one even that it wasn't hooked up
This the type Palladium P7127M-3 rebuilt

Of course not

It 's a rebuilt Delco that doesn't have any spark arrestor screens or sparkproofing of any kind.

You could post a picture from the front and the back just to be sure.

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 7:12pm

It 's a rebuilt Delco that doesn't have any spark arrestor screens or sparkproofing of any kind.

John,
Yes, see if you can post a couple of pictures. I'm curious about the "M" in the part #.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 9:11pm

John,
Yes, see if you can post a couple of pictures. I'm curious about the "M" in the part #.

Here's a link to a 7127m3 from your favorite parts emporium Pete

It's a Delco 10SI style alternator

The DL is for Duralast and the P on JT's is for Palladium which was an Advance Auto Parts brand that doesn't seem to be around any longer.

The 3 is the clocking position of the plug when viewed from the rear

A bazillion of them were made for plder GM vehicles

Definitely no screens on this and JT's pictures will tell if there are screens on his.

I figure in this case the "M" stands for maybe it might have screens since the same basic framework can have a screened front that's hard to see behind the fan and there is a cover with a screen assembly that can mount to the back. It doesn't mean marine just because there's an M in the number.

That's why a couple of pictures were requested just to be sure   

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/alternator/duralast-alternator/333351_0" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 9:49pm
Be right back...

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 10:04pm
Here you go-

Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 11:04pm
Well................... congrats JT

What you have there is a 100% pure automotive alternator

It's a 3 wire Delco that somebody wired to function like a 1 wire Delco. and did a fairly ugly job of it. The big orange output wire would normally be hooked to the threaded stud on the back that has the little jumper. The little jumper makes it function like a 1 wire alternator.

A marine version of that Delco would have a screened cover on the back like the picture below. It would also have screens behind the pulley/fan.

The picture shows the cover removed The one in the picture is a 1 wire marine alternator.

You can find the 1 wire marine alternator at a variety of electrical places on line like DB Electrical for 1 example. Many on EBAY also.

They're cheap, easy to hook up and reliable

A 3 wire has some advantages, but unless you're gonna be blasting tunes and running all kinds of electrical stuff the 1 wire will be just fine.

Posted By: 67 ski nat
Date Posted: March-25-2019 at 11:12am
Just curious why do marine alts have screen.

Date Posted: March-25-2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Because they spark inside! Not a good combination if there are gas fumes in the engine compartment/bilge.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-25-2019 at 11:39am
Here is more than you'll ever want to know

http://www.wermac.org/equipment/flame_arrester.html" rel="nofollow - link

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: March-25-2019 at 11:44am
I see, like a spark arrestor on a dirt bike

Date Posted: March-25-2019 at 11:55am

I see, like a spark arrestor on a dirt bike

More like the spark arrestor that's on your marine engine.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-25-2019 at 2:05pm

Because they spark inside! Not a good combination if there are gas fumes in the engine compartment/bilge.

Not all marine alternators have screens, that's the way Delco does it as mentioned earlier.

Others use sealed covers over the brushes to meet USCG standards.

Here's a link to ARCO electric showing some of the more popular alternators and how they accomplish meeting the standard.

There's also a brief explanation of the testing.

Your 67 Nautique won't have screens unless the alternator was replaced with a Delco over the years.

If you're wondering if you have a marine alternator, pictures, numbers and some research should tell you

Most marine alternators that meet the standard have a tag or other markings that indicate that it meets SAE J1171 specs. but back in 67 that standard wasn't born yet   

http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/Tech%20Marine%20Alternator%20tips.pdf" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: March-26-2019 at 12:13pm
Thx keno. Makes sense.

Date Posted: March-27-2019 at 7:17pm
Now that I have my new alternator (silver looking) can I paint it?

Date Posted: March-28-2019 at 10:17am

Now that I have my new alternator (silver looking) can I paint it?

I suppose you can do whatever you want to

I don't think I'd be painting any spark arrestor screens though.

Date Posted: March-30-2019 at 4:21pm
Decided not to piaint.

Date Posted: March-30-2019 at 4:26pm
A question on ignition. If I change to the electronic module on distributor do I need those resistors mounted on rear of engine?

Date Posted: March-30-2019 at 4:39pm

A question on ignition. If I change to the electronic module on distributor do I need those resistors mounted on rear of engine?

John,
It depends on who's EI conversion you use. Follow their directions.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: bfootr
Date Posted: March-30-2019 at 4:55pm
I just changed my 89 SN to electronic ignition (using Pertronix Ignitor II). Instructions were to bypass the resistor which I did. Works great!

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: March-30-2019 at 5:18pm

Decided not to piaint.

I applied a couple of coats of clear engine enamel on all of my 'raw' metal parts, except for the screens as Ken suggested. This keeps them from looking dull and corroded in a couple of years.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: March-30-2019 at 10:15pm
OK I need some advice here..
FYI-The boat I'm working on is a 1983 SN with a PCM 351w. Earlier in a post I found the motor to be a 1994 block.
I bought a new Prestolite distributor not paying attention to the year. Now when I started looking for the electronic ignition it is asking for year.
Should I just be buying parts as a 83 motor or a 94 motor?
Will parts interchange and work?

I hope I haven't messed up big time....

Date Posted: March-31-2019 at 12:40am

I got this-

From here it looks like a clipdown Prestolite with the right gear already on it.

That would have been the original 83 distributor.

You'd make Pete so proud, an original distributor complete with a set of points

Whatever you do, don't throw that RR gear on the ugly distributor away. They're scarce and getting scarcer

Don't sweat it JT.

That distributor was used up till 86 or so and will drop right into your engine.

Don't know what electronic kit you might be looking at but if it's a Pertronix, the part number for the clipdown cap is 91581 for the Ignitor 2 or 1581 for the plain old Ignitor.

The Ignitor 2 is an improved version of the original

There's not much else that's still available for that distributor these days.

And..............you can ditch the ballast resistor{s} like said earlier by bfootr

And..............you won't make Pete proud, but that's OK

Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 2:35am
Update:
Engine painted and almost back together, still have to rebuild carb.

Go GATORS!!

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:08am
Nice!

I'm getting creative on mine as well

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:22am

Update:
Engine painted and almost back together, still have to rebuild carb.

Go GATORS!!

JT

You must be the only person that ever painted his distributor cap to match his oil filter.

If that cap came that color, post the part number, I just gotta have one of those   

Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:38am
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Professional-15-oz-High-Performance-Enamel-Gloss-Safety-Orange-Spray-Paint-6-Pack-7555838/204770328?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CB%7CBase%7CD24%7CMulti%7CNA%7CPLA%7CAll_Paint%7c71700000034373191%7c58700003950518085%7c92700032013540496&msclkid=49855c0580dd1211f0cd00a128b25f05&gclid=CPWayOf3s-ECFQiSxQIdVVcIBg&gclsrc=ds" rel="nofollow - We have plenty of this at all the HD stores!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 11:06am

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Professional-15-oz-High-Performance-Enamel-Gloss-Safety-Orange-Spray-Paint-6-Pack-7555838/204770328?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CB%7CBase%7CD24%7CMulti%7CNA%7CPLA%7CAll_Paint%7c71700000034373191%7c58700003950518085%7c92700032013540496&msclkid=49855c0580dd1211f0cd00a128b25f05&gclid=CPWayOf3s-ECFQiSxQIdVVcIBg&gclsrc=ds" rel="nofollow - We have plenty of this at all the HD stores!

But I'm a terrible painter and would rather have one made that color.

Besides, I'd probably have to touch up the cap if it got chipped and ugly looking

Or maybe I'd go and paint the plug wires too.

I guess I could stick with black caps and filters and wires

Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 11:21am
Thanks Yea the paint came from Wally World and it is Rustoleum. I even got Blue plug wires (didn't know till I opened the box).
If the Distributor cap was black would probably have left the same but that Tan just looked awful

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 4:36pm
Hmmm...   this post has taken an interesting turn. I'm still waiting to hear certain comments from Pete and Ken.    
But for the record John, I like what you've done so far

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 9:26pm
Just putting on more hoses and seem to have problem-see pic

Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 9:39pm
[QUOTE=KENO] [QUOTE=8122pbrainard]

But I'm a terrible painter and would rather have one made that color.

/QUOTE]

Send it to me I'll paint it.

Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:09pm

Just putting on more hoses and seem to have problem-see pic

It's a good thing you post pictures JT, since you can notice all kinds of stuff looking at them.

In the picture above , my keen finely trained eye can see that your pump isn't ever gonna pump water.      Why's that you ask?

You have a RH rotation engine and the pump is installed right now for a LH rotation engine since the screw head can't be seen..

If you look at the picture below courtesy of somebody on CCF, you can see the screw head on the pump facing outboard and you can see how the hoses are hooked up and oriented too.

That's how your's should be hooked up. Suction on the bottom, discharge on the top and the screw head pointing outboard.

Clearance between the pump pulley and the big hose is pretty tight

Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:28pm
Got it, I couldn't tell in my photo (before repaint) the right direction.

Thanks

Date Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Hmmm...   this post has taken an interesting turn. I'm still waiting to hear certain comments from Pete and Ken.    
But for the record John, I like what you've done so far

Joe

Your pump is kinda plain looking , gray and unpainted bronze or is it clear coated cast iron and bronze, you should really do something about that.

We'll let Pete pick the color scheme for ya   

Date Posted: April-11-2019 at 12:24pm
Another Question. Should I keep this MSD coil or go back to the original?

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: April-11-2019 at 1:32pm

Another Question. Should I keep this MSD distributor or go back to the original?

Its a coil not a distributor and if it ain't broke I wouldnt fix it

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: April-11-2019 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Another Question. Should I keep this MSD distributor or go back to the original?

Its a coil not a distributor and if it ain't broke I wouldnt fix it

Thanks I corrected my mind..... this boat and engine is about to blow it

Date Posted: April-14-2019 at 3:01am
Forgot about the broken resistor, will engine run/start without it?

Date Posted: April-14-2019 at 8:43am

John,
It depends on who's EI conversion you use. Follow their directions.

John,
Is it broken? It looks like the engine was hooked up to one ballast resistor so, it may be good however the Ohm meter will tell you for sure. Keep in mind as stated previously, you need to follow the wiring directions of the EI conversion you plan on using.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-14-2019 at 8:53am

Is it broken? It looks like the engine was hooked up to one ballast resistor so, it may be good however the Ohm meter will tell you for sure. Keep in mind as stated previously, you need to follow the wiring directions of the EI conversion you plan on using.

For now just wanted to crank engine to check out rebuilt carb. I'll get my neighbor over he understands the ohm thing.
Thanks

Date Posted: April-14-2019 at 10:41am

]
For now just wanted to crank engine to check out rebuilt carb. I'll get my neighbor over he understands the ohm thing.
Thanks

John,
An alternate to resistance is to check voltage in and out of the ballast resistor.

If you get your neighbor over, have him give you some pointers on using the VOM. Voltage and resistance testing is a great method of troubleshooting problems. If you don't have a VOM, I suggest getting one. A basic one is around $20 plus you can use it on the car and even the house.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-14-2019 at 1:04pm
Now I'm really cornfused.

I have the MSD coil and directions say to add a 0.8 ohm resister. I read up on the electronic ignition conversion kit and it says to use a 1.4 ohm ballast resister.

Date Posted: April-14-2019 at 6:55pm
The ignition tech said the MSD wouldn't work with there conversion so I guess I need to just go get a standard coil.
Thanks

Date Posted: April-15-2019 at 3:22pm
Hey All,
Need a pic of how the coil is mounted on engine 83 PCM. Actually the mount also. I checked my 79 but it is on the opposite side, manifolds don't look the same.
Thanks

Date Posted: April-18-2019 at 12:17am
Never mind the pic I made a mount.
Next question---
Where can I get the Alt.& RWP belt replacements? Shipping is twice as much as the belts, surely they can be bought at a parts place....

Date Posted: April-18-2019 at 12:55am
These are the Dayco numbers from my 80's vintage PCM 15400 (11A1015) and 15455 (11A1155). Don't know which one is which but maybe you can cross reference them to any belt at a parts store. If you can wait til sometime tomorrow I can uncover it and maybe see which belt goes to what and the alternator pulley diameter to see if your new one is the same size.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: April-18-2019 at 1:46pm
Got it and got them.
Thanks

Date Posted: April-18-2019 at 7:22pm
Here we go again with the dumb questions...
I ordered a set of Sierra Marine plug wires and didn't think about the distributor end. Anyhow I have to return and the customer service said all they have is non marine. Is there a difference in marine and standard plug wires?

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: April-19-2019 at 4:23pm
I am not aware of any Marine special plug wires. I always buy high quality wires.
Napa sells Powerpath, used to be made by Belden Wire. Very good wires.
Standard ignition purchased Belden so a premium Standard Ignition set would be high quality also. These would offer long life, great spark transfer and limit any sparks emitting from the wires to a ground which could be very bad in a boat situation with a covered engine.

-------------

Date Posted: April-19-2019 at 5:06pm
The only marine thing I can think of is that with the marine exhausts in place the normal method of running the wires from the distributor over the valve covers to the plugs are blocked. PCM chose to use longer wires and running them down in front of the valve covers then up to the plugs. So a set for a car or truck might not be long enough. You could then make your own or just buy a set ready to plug and play. https://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK120017" rel="nofollow - link

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Print Page | Close Window