Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47287
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 12:09am

Topic: 1978 south wind 18
Posted By: Lapowers
Subject: 1978 south wind 18
Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 7:05pm
I was looking at a 1978 south wind 18. The person who has the boat has never started it he bought at auction and never did anything with it. It has a 351 ford engine. The interior is pretty nice for a 1978 and the hull looks good. The left stringer is a little soft about 12inches in front of the transom. I can get the boat for $800 I was just curious what everyone’s thoughts where on this boat and if you think it’s worth buying. I turned the motor over by hand . But didn’t have a battery to try and start it but I figured for $800 not to expect to much

Replies:
Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 7:49pm
Does it come with a usable trailer?

You should cost in a stringer project, that alone would be more than $800.

If you want a project, go for it, but it would most likely not be a turn-key purchase.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Lapowers
Date Posted: March-24-2019 at 10:33pm
The boat does have a trailer. And I’m not expecting it to be turn key. I thought this south wind was a cool looking vintage boat and I really like the deep v Hull.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: March-25-2019 at 12:14am
It's probably worth 800 in parts as-is and probably will need work and more money to make it sea worthy.

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: March-25-2019 at 12:22am
Like Chris said, if you're looking for a project ....   Don't know what they would sell for in 80-90% condition when done, so I can't comment on the "worth" of the project.   But looking at a stringer job would put me off rather quickly. I just don't have that kind of time - or space - to take on a project like that.   Paying a shop to do the work would almost definitely be cost prohibitive as well.   But if you have the time, space and are up for a lot of work, I do think that would be a great family boat when you got it done.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Print Page | Close Window