Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47453
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 5:46pm

Topic: Exhaust Manifold Riser Leak
Posted By: hayajustin
Subject: Exhaust Manifold Riser Leak
Date Posted: May-15-2019 at 10:09am
Hey Everyone,
Last fall when I was winterizing the boat, I noticed one of the bolts that holds the riser to the exhaust manifold had popped off. So, I figured to address this issue in the spring. I started investigating the issue a few weeks ago and found the gasket had deteriorated quite a bit and there was a decent amount of cavitation erosion on the exhaust manifold, not so much the riser. Last night, I cleaned up the surface the best I could and installed a new gasket. A small drip like leak was still present. So, I tore it apart and applied red RTV to the exhaust manifold and followed the procedure for cure time and tightening. I will know the results this evening. Has anyone done anything similar to resolve a small leak?

Replies:
Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: May-15-2019 at 10:44am
No, but it should work on the outside seal. Was the inside sealing surface in better shape? Inside sealing is more important to keep water from dripping back down into an open valve.

If you can't make it seal a cheap alternative would be to take the lower manifold to a local machine shop and have them surface it rather than spending 250-300 on a new lower manifold.

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: May-15-2019 at 10:50am
A few min spent with a file then a block sander to get the mating surfaces flat would be time well spent.

Date Posted: May-15-2019 at 11:02am
The inside sealing surface was in good shape. If I do not get a good seal with the RTV, I will try smoothing out the surface with a file and sanding block.

Date Posted: May-16-2019 at 9:44am
I ran the boat for 30 minutes last night, no leaks so far. I will monitor the joint throughout the summer.

Print Page | Close Window