Print Page | Close Window

Gun safe heater under motor box over winter?

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48004
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 3:29pm

Topic: Gun safe heater under motor box over winter?
Posted By: Shooter
Subject: Gun safe heater under motor box over winter?
Date Posted: September-04-2019 at 4:47pm
My 2000 SN has always lived in FL, but this winter she will sleep in the mountains of NC, on a trailer in an un-heated garage. I plan to winterize carefully and appreciate the many tips contained on this forum.

Does anyone have any thoughts about putting a stick-type gun safe heater down in the bilge? They are cheap ($20) and supposed to be safe. I will keep the bilge drain open all winter, so any gas fumes will have an escape. Is this a good alternative to putting a light bulb under the motor box? Thanks for any opinions!

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: September-04-2019 at 5:03pm
If you winterize it you don’t need to put in a heater or lightbulb. The reason you use them is if your going out in a few days or if you get caught out before you get a chance to winterize. Follow PCMs recommendations for winterizing- drain everything before adding antifreeze

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: September-04-2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Shooter Shooter wrote:

I plan to winterize carefully and appreciate the many tips contained on this forum.

If you do what you say in the quote above, what reason would there be to have a heater of any kind in the bilge?

That's assuming winterizing carefully means draining the water and leaving it drained or putting some antifreeze in after the draining.

There are a bunch of different ways people winterize, so an explanation of your planned method would be good.

Posted By: zwoobah
Date Posted: September-04-2019 at 5:34pm
My boat gets shrinkwrapped and lives outdoors in NH all winter. Subzero temps, six feet of snow, no issues. Winterize it properly and you won't have issues. A lot safer than leaving a heating element around oil/gas vapors all winter.

-------------
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-04-2019 at 6:07pm
Jeff,
Water freezes No water doesn't freeze. So why heat nothing but a chunk of metal? Do you like you run up your electric bill?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Shooter
Date Posted: September-04-2019 at 6:30pm
I will drain all water out and re-fill with antifreeze. Do not anticipate any problems, but just wondering about "belt + suspenders" protection of my pride & joy. However, with this advice I'll skip the heater. Thx to all, and see you in the Spring!

Print Page | Close Window