Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48166
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 9:08am

Topic: exhaust risers
Posted By: WakeskateNW
Subject: exhaust risers
Date Posted: October-23-2019 at 12:35am
Tackling some engine maintenance projects on my '89 this winter, starting with the risers , for obvious reasons.
upon inspection after removal , I noticed the outlet in one riser looks a little different than the other; as it has a big blob at the bottom, my question is this just years of build-up? and do I need to address it? when I pick at it with a screwdriver it seems quite solid compared to the rest of the rust corrosion elsewhere. trying to get a sense of how concerned I should be.

Replies:
Date Posted: October-23-2019 at 12:43am
heres what the mating surfaces look like

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-23-2019 at 1:05am
How does the matching manifold side look? Are you running in brackish water? I'm thinking it's time to bite the bullet. Maybe you only need new risers but post up a pic of the manifolds

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: October-23-2019 at 1:42am
I haven't scraped the gasket off the manifolds yet, so tbd. will report back later with some pics. I've never ran in brackish or salt and as far as I know the previous 2 owners haven't either.

Date Posted: October-24-2019 at 5:59pm
ok heres what the manifolds look like

seem to be in much better shape then the risers.

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: October-24-2019 at 8:07pm
Manifolds and risers don't have to see salt water to rust out. I just replaced mine with about 1700 hours of fresh water use. Your risers look about the same as mine did but your manifolds look much better. If it was me I would replace just the risers.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-24-2019 at 8:38pm
+1 on the risers Your right Sean but I only mentioned it because he's closer to salt water than you or I.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: October-24-2019 at 9:41pm
new risers it is then! appreciate the feedback, this is all new territory for me.

Posted By: outerbanked
Date Posted: October-24-2019 at 11:01pm
I have two used ones that I keep tripping over in my garage near UW area. Picked them up along with other stuff I needed on CL. I cut the gaskets off and spent 30 sec with a flat file on each. They just need a home before I recycle them. You would need a gasket kit and new hardware. Probably new rubber exhaust hoses since you already have it this far apart. Pm me if interested.

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: October-24-2019 at 11:24pm
Those look good!

Print Page | Close Window