Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48283
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 9:33pm

Topic: D.U.I. Marine distributor
Posted By: 99airwarrior
Subject: D.U.I. Marine distributor
Date Posted: December-22-2019 at 2:49am
I Have two Davis Unified Marine distributors. One has a standard rotation gear. The other has a CCW rotation gear that I have in my 1985 2001 351w ccw rotation. Can I swap the gear from my ccw distributor to the new standard rotation distributor or is their a difference with the advance weights ? I know the module and pick up are the same. The standard rotation part # is M35820bl and the CCW is part # M35820RRBL. Thank You Joe

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: December-22-2019 at 8:01am
The only difference in the 2 distributors is the gear.

A distributor for a RR 351W rotates CCW and a distributor for a normal rotation 351W also rotates CCW.

This is because the cam gear and the distributor gear are cut differently from each other on the 2 engines.

So the answer is yes you can swap gears

If you're not familiar with the process do a little reading about removal and installation of the gear on a 351W.

Google is your friend, or ask here   

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: December-22-2019 at 12:04pm
Based on the part numbers you provided in the post, both match up with a SBF Windsor 5.8 engine. As such it is highly likely that the weight and spring assembly will provide identical timing curves (provided both units are bone-stock and unmodified).

The last 2 letters indicate distributor cap color. You may want to exchange the "BL" unit for an "RD" unit as the red cap will make your boat go faster. Just sayin.....

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: December-22-2019 at 1:15pm
Why swap?

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: December-22-2019 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

The last 2 letters indicate distributor cap color. You may want to exchange the "BL" unit for an "RD" unit as the red cap will make your boat go faster. Just sayin.....

JQ

Jonny,Jonny,Jonny

Let him in on the rest of the secret, he needs RED wires to go with the cap

RED may be faster than BLUE, but is it as fast as a CLEAR cap ? Just wonderin.............

Posted By: 99airwarrior
Date Posted: December-22-2019 at 2:50pm
Thank You for the help

Print Page | Close Window