Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48700
Printed Date: May-04-2024 at 5:05am

Topic: Sad Day At The Lake!
Posted By: vbatla
Subject: Sad Day At The Lake!
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:05am
1989 Ski Nautique 2001. We hit a submerged rock at the lake this past weekend.
Insurance most likely will total the boat.

Any thoughts on repair?   Thanks for any input / advice!

Replies:
Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 9:41am
Ah that should buff right out.
I'm guessing you didn't sink her? Shallow? Close to the launch? How did you keep from sinking?
It can all be fixed question is how much much do you want to spend on a 30 year old boat verses using the insurance money to possibly update to something newer.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:18am
Time to move on. Lots of nice boats out there to buy!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:43am
There are people selling stripped hulls. You could move many of your items to a new used hull. Best is too take the insurance money and get another boat.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:52am
Oof.

Anything (Fiberglass) is fixable with enough time. Probably $1-2k (in parts) to fix the hull and underwater gear yourself, but a fair number of man hours involved. Won’t be cheap to pay a pro. Transmission is the big question mark, with that much shaft damage it might be toast too- and that’s a big dollar item.

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 11:04am
Take the insurance money and buy the boat from them, so you can part it out.

Huge hit, hopefully, no one got hurt.

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 11:22am
ugh, must suk

don';t know, not much bones left to pick
I too bet the transmission is seriously crunched inside. whats left besides a 30 yo engine, a windshield, morse control, pylon then you have to dispose of the thing

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 11:51am
That would require some serious buffing, for sure! haha.

The accident occurred last Friday, a few miles from the ramp. After impact, the boat started taking on water and it was obvious we weren't going to make it back. To make things worse, there was a huge storm about to hit. We left the boat. I went back the next morning to find the boat didn't sink. Didn't even tip over. I'm guessing all the foam kept it afloat. I called flagship towing and it was back on the trailer within two hours.

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 12:04pm
This is a great boat for two or three people. Easy to move. Puts out a nice wake. Powerful engine.   
Would a possible fix be to install (glass in) a metal plate above and or below the hull for the rudder mount?

If repair isn't an option, what would be a good V-Drive replacement that won't kill the wallet?

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 1:03pm
No, the old damaged glass will need to be removed with a grinder and new glass replaced. If it is going to be fixed, it needs to be done correctly. You might decided to sell it in a few years and if it was not done right you have safety issues for you and the next owner. Possible liabilities too. Would be hard to sell a improperly fixed boat. Will also be hard to sell a properly fixed one too.

Flex Tape could be an option.

-------------
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:17pm
Fixable? Probably yes.     Economically feasible? No    Structurally feasible? Questionable   They will total it out.   You might want to see what the salvage bid is and pick it up for parts or ??   You will no doubt come out on the short end of the stick. Trying to replace the boat for what they offer will be difficult to do. Plus this is the wrong season to find the best deals. Just my opinion.
Good luck,   Duane

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:23pm
Hopefully, your policy has an "agreed value" and not "market value". In my policy I make my agreed value high enough so that I can get an equal or better replacement.

Dude, that really sux. I feel for you. How fast were you going at the time of impact?

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:41pm
Yeah, glassing is the correct way. Way beyond my capabilities and would cost more than the boat is worth at a shop. Yeah, i want to try flex tape just too see if it'll float!

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Fixable? Probably yes.     Economically feasible? No    Structurally feasible? Questionable   They will total it out.

Agree with all except the “question” that it could be structurally repaired properly. Not cheap to do but certainly doable.

Posted By: C_Heath
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:52pm
dang sorry man. Let them total it and move on unless you have sentimental in it.

-------------
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:52pm
The wrong season for boat shopping, for sure! Memorial Day weekend in a few days....ugh.....

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:58pm
Thx. I was going 30 - 35 then cut hard to the left.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Structurally feasible? Questionable   They will total it out.

Agree with all except the “question” that it could be structurally repaired properly.

Tim,
I agree with you on Duane's thought it would be structurally questionable. Repaired properly it would be as good or even better than new. Duane is one of the best machinist around but sounds like he's not so good with glass.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:24pm

Fixable? Probably yes.     Economically feasible? No    Structurally feasible? Questionable   They will total it out.

Agree with all except the “question” that it could be structurally repaired properly. Not cheap to do but certainly doable.

I should have added "questionable --- if you can find the right person to repair it". At $100/hr it will eat up the boat value pretty quick.

-------------
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by vbatla vbatla wrote:

This looks like some of the boats we seen loaded for surfing!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Travis Eacret
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:42pm
Just curious, what lake were you on?

-------------
1995 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:45pm
Lake Georgetown in TX

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:52pm

I should have added "questionable .

But Duane, you did say " questionable"

Structurally feasible? Questionable      Duane

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

This looks like some of the boats we seen loaded for surfing!

Right!! Too funny

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 7:44pm

I should have added "questionable --- if you can find the right person to repair it".

Pete, Your reading skills seem to have slipped again.    Read it again and if you still cant figure it out then I'll use smaller words. The key is "If you can find the right person"
At least we agree that I am not the right person. I am the first to admit my limitations. That is why I don't answer EVERY post out here.

-------------
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 9:42pm

I should have added "questionable --- if you can find the right person to repair it".

Pete, Your reading skills seem to have slipped again.    Read it again and if you still cant figure it out then I'll use smaller words. The key is "If you can find the right person"

Duane,
Here's your post from 11:17 this morning.

Structurally feasible? Questionable

It's the one I quoted and the one Tim quoted. funny I don't see anything about "if you can find the right person" in it.
Yes please use smaller words so I can understand.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 67 ski nat
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:55pm
My condolences, feel for you.
Would be a labor of love to fix

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 11:15pm
Todos

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: May-19-2020 at 11:17pm
Personally I think the stringers are more important- if they are questionable then it would not be worth it. It will take alot of your time since it's so labor intensive,and you would also have to get it very cheap.
Many years ago soon after the dinosaurs stopped roaming the earth I was given a dune buggy body that had been damaged in an accident with several pieces even missing. I knew enough about fiberglass to be dangerous,my dad knew some things from his days of hanging around some heavy hitters in the early Corvette days. Fiberglass suppliers amounted to Kmart,Topp's or Clarke's department stores and dad had some mat left over from something. In the ensuing years I've learned more about it and certainly would do things differently now mainly because of the supplies and information available today.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 12:23am
The stringers are perfect. Looks like insurance will total it. 50/50 on rebuild at this point.

Looking at a 1999 Malibu Sunsetter VLX. I like the additional room. How does the wake on the Malibu compare to an 89 Ski Nautique?

Posted By: Watauga
Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 12:41am
Vince,
Sorry you had to go through this. I am curious how many were in the boat and if any were hurt, i.e., thrown into the windshield, banged up or tossed overboard, etc.? The pictures don't seem to indicate a rocky bottom in the area where the boat is floating, so I am intrigued by the absence of a marker in that area? The hull looks like it was not riding high in the water when the strike happened, almost like a slower speed impact since the hull is grooved almost all way to the bow. But the damage is incredible. I agree with the others who have commented about the possibility of transmission damage, and also the obvious water in the engine issues.

My advice, for what it is worth, take the insurance proceeds and find another CC as soon as possible, the season is still young. The boat can be fixed, but at significant cost, and time. This is not the type of repair to learn on.

-------------
http://goo.gl/t8gAkI" rel="nofollow - 1980 Rebuild
http://goo.gl/TFsgCy" rel="nofollow - Diary
Signpainter, Disaster Responder, Longline Barefooter

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Watauga Watauga wrote:

Vince,
Sorry you had to go through this. I am curious how many were in the boat and if any were hurt, i.e., thrown into the windshield, banged up or tossed overboard, etc.? The pictures don't seem to indicate a rocky bottom in the area where the boat is floating, so I am intrigued by the absence of a marker in that area? The hull looks like it was not riding high in the water when the strike happened, almost like a slower speed impact since the hull is grooved almost all way to the bow. But the damage is incredible. I agree with the others who have commented about the possibility of transmission damage, and also the obvious water in the engine issues.

My advice, for what it is worth, take the insurance proceeds and find another CC as soon as possible, the season is still young. The boat can be fixed, but at significant cost, and time. This is not the type of repair to learn on.

Thank you.

There were two of us in the boat. No injuries. I just started to make a turn (speed high 30's) when we hit the rock. There are no markers. There hasn't been a lot of rain and the lake has gotten pretty shallow in that area. This also happened at night so it was difficult to judge. My girlfriend was sitting on the observation seat when we hit. She slid into me. Luckily we didn't get injured. The boat continued to move forward after impact. By the time I realized there was no steering, we were in the middle of the lake. We bailed water with a chicken bucket until it became apparent we were going to have to swim to shore. There was also a huge storm getting close. Quite a night.
Yeah, the damage is pretty extensive. Probably another boat in our future.

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:56am
Hate to see that, your boat looks like it was a nice one in the pictures. That damage is pretty severe.   If you like projects and like to learn new things and would enjoy doing the repair it can be done. You may have to donate every weekend all summer to do it though.
Maybe buy another similar boat that needs parts that your old boat can offer and make one good boat out of two.

-------------

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 10:05am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Hate to see that, your boat looks like it was a nice one in the pictures. That damage is pretty severe.   If you like projects and like to learn new things and would enjoy doing the repair it can be done. You may have to donate every weekend all summer to do it though.
Maybe buy another similar boat that needs parts that your old boat can offer and make one good boat out of two.

That would be quite a project. Migrating to a different boat might be the answer.
Would the engine and or interior from my 89 fit a 94/95 Super Sport V-Drive?

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 1:14pm
I know it seems like the wrong time of year to be buying a boat, but Covid is causing some people to sell their toys, I think this year is a bit different from other years. If you keep your eyes peeled and are willing to travel a bit to look at boats you can find a fair deal.

You mentioned v-drives, are you guys mostly wake boarding?

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I know it seems like the wrong time of year to be buying a boat, but Covid is causing some people to sell their toys, I think this year is a bit different from other years. If you keep your eyes peeled and are willing to travel a bit to look at boats you can find a fair deal.

You mentioned v-drives, are you guys mostly wake boarding?

Yes, we are mostly wakeboarding.   Would like to try wakesurfing at some point.

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 2:29pm
Could the intake from a GT40 work on a 351 Pleasure Craft?

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 2:55pm
Depends on what your'e trying to do.

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Depends on what your'e trying to do.

If I ifind a 95/96 Super Sport with a bad engine I'm wondering if I could take the 351 from the 1989 ski nautique 2001, switch out intakes and install it. Would that work or am I way off track?    

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:13pm
Rotation on mine is to the right. Is that the case with the GT40?

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:24pm
A GT 40 is left hand rotation. Your crank and cam are wrong. Block,pistons, rods, flywheel, balancer, could be used. Gt’s Heads are better as well. A GT 40 block in your case is not really much difference than the block you now have. The big difference is a between the two is a 40 block is ready to accept roller lifters where yours is not. Does not make any difference because Ford never used roller lifters in a marine engine but the blocks were just pulled from normal production which used them in cars and trucks.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: C_Heath
Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

A GT 40 is left hand rotation. Your crank and cam are wrong. Block,pistons, rods, flywheel, balancer, could be used. Gt’s Heads are better as well.

Gary are you still stuck in FL?

-------------
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:44pm

A GT 40 is left hand rotation. Your crank and cam are wrong. Block,pistons, rods, flywheel, balancer, could be used. Gt’s Heads are better as well. A GT 40 block in your case is not really much difference than the block you now have. The big difference is a between the two is a 40 block is ready to accept roller lifters where yours is not. Does not make any difference because Ford never used roller lifters in a marine engine but the blocks were just pulled from normal production which used them in cars and trucks.

When looking at the front of the engine it rotates to the right. Would that be considered right or left rotation?

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:45pm
Or, could the entire engine be swapped out with a carburetor?

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by C_Heath C_Heath wrote:

A GT 40 is left hand rotation. Your crank and cam are wrong. Block,pistons, rods, flywheel, balancer, could be used. Gt’s Heads are better as well.

Gary are you still stuck in FL?

I heard there was a petition circulating up north to close the borders to him.

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:50pm

When looking at the front of the engine it rotates to the right. Would that be considered right or left rotation?

If when you say "left", you mean clockwise, then it is a left hand

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:54pm

Or, could the entire engine be swapped out with a carburetor?

Yes & Yes
https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/faq/rotate.htm" rel="nofollow - rotation
But remember yours was under water so if you want to use that you need to get into yours start drying/cleaning that up ASAP
Since yours was a lefty also, I would think you can use that as a short block and build the it with the GT40 parts from the other, Not sure how the cam profiles differ so you may or may not get the total GT-40 performance.

Date Posted: May-21-2020 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

There are people selling stripped hulls. You could move many of your items to a new used hull. Best is too take the insurance money and get another boat.

What's a good source for a stripped hull?

Date Posted: May-21-2020 at 1:38pm

What's a good source for a stripped hull?

They appear on this site and on classic correct craft facebook. Look for someone parting out a boat in the parts for sale forums. The wait could be long and could be short.   If you go this route you have to be willing to travel to get one and spend all summer doing the work and not in the boat.

Also, like was stated above, that engine has been underwater so it need to be taken apart or dealt with in some manor before it rust up. Water need to be removed and pickled in some manor. Filled with oil until you can deal with it. I am not an expert on this process, but you need to move fast.

-------------

Date Posted: May-21-2020 at 2:36pm
I see one problem with the above mentioned plan and that is that 99.9% of the time the hulls are being scraped because the stringers are junk leaving it not worth repairing.
Hence the reason for the part out and scraping the hull.

Posted By: Southvvind
Date Posted: May-21-2020 at 2:39pm

The stringers are perfect. Looks like insurance will total it. 50/50 on rebuild at this point.

Looking at a 1999 Malibu Sunsetter VLX. I like the additional room. How does the wake on the Malibu compare to an 89 Ski Nautique?

It compares favorably, but just in terms of above-the-waterline function, open bow, all that jazz. Wake-wise you're taking a hit, if you wakeboard primarily.

Those Sunsetters are nice but the hull is flat and it makes a pretty weak wake unless you load it down big time. You'd be much better off with a Sport Nautique, or a ProStar 205, V-drive 205 or even a Super Sport Nautique. Those are good options. It kind of hurts my stomach to see that 2001 sunk to the gunwales and I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad everyone was safe but oooooofffffff.

Date Posted: May-21-2020 at 3:11pm
+1 on looking for a good Sport Nautique. Make sure that you look for a 1993 or newer Nautique and the boat will have no wood to rot. In 1993 CC changed to all-composite construction.

JQ

-------------
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: May-21-2020 at 3:16pm
It’s a 89 so it’s going to be a lefty as he describes with a 1.23 and rh prop.

Date Posted: May-21-2020 at 4:44pm
+3, or maybe by now +7, on finding a new boat and enjoying the summer. By all means if you want to keep the 2001 engine and useful parts, and over the next year keep eyes open for a hull that needs engine, it would be a neat project if you have the bug to complete a restoration. Otherwise cut your losses and move on, you'll be MUCH happier IMO.

-------------

Date Posted: May-21-2020 at 5:44pm

+3, or maybe by now +7, on finding a new boat and enjoying the summer. By all means if you want to keep the 2001 engine and useful parts, and over the next year keep eyes open for a hull that needs engine, it would be a neat project if you have the bug to complete a restoration. Otherwise cut your losses and move on, you'll be MUCH happier IMO.

Thanks. I appreciate all the input while maneuvering through this.   Finding another boat would get me on the water much faster, that's for sure.

Mine would through out a nice wake with no ballast. Would that be the case with a sport, super sport or a Ski Nautique Sport 216? 226?

Date Posted: May-21-2020 at 5:52pm
Sport - good wakeboard wake with ballast. In my experience surfing was a stretch, lighter people were able to, heavier were not. We use a pair of 400 lb. bags beside the doghouse, one 800 lb. in the back.

Super Sport v-drive - would be ideal for you, harder to find these days.

Sport 216 or 226 - I'm not really familar with those boats.

-------------

Date Posted: May-24-2020 at 4:54pm

Sport - good wakeboard wake with ballast. In my experience surfing was a stretch, lighter people were able to, heavier were not. We use a pair of 400 lb. bags beside the doghouse, one 800 lb. in the back.

I've zeroed in on a 2002 Super Air Nautique TE. Would my trailer accommodate that boat?

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: May-24-2020 at 5:25pm

I've zeroed in on a 2002 Super Air Nautique TE. Would my trailer accommodate that boat?

Doubt it, but it depends on what trailer you have. I tried my '92 SN on my '89 trailer and the '92 was too wide. Also, there are differences between V-drive and DD trailers. I think the axle is farther back for the v-drives.

-------------
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Date Posted: May-24-2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Also, there are differences between V-drive and DD trailers. I think the axle is farther back for the v-drives.

Correct. With the engines weight in different spots, the axle(s) are positioned differently.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: stepper459
Date Posted: May-27-2020 at 10:59am

I went from an '89 Supra closed bow direct drive - a 21' - into my 2003 Super Air Nautique TE. We absolutely love the boat for our family, and I primarily wakeboard or wakeskate behind it - I love to ski but I'll just go behind a proper ski boat, lots of friends have those if I want a pull! I've skied behind a SuperSport and it was... ok. It's funny, the SAN has the same footprint as my old Supra - same width and length - but it has SO much more usable space.

Any particular reason you're looking at 2002 specifically? I know the interior changed a bit between 2001 and 2003, I don't know when exactly. But my '03 has a deeper floor and slightly narrower gunwales, so a little more interior room overall, compared to the earlier SuperSports and Super Airs with the same layout. Just a thought. Either will be vastly better than a direct drive for interior space.

Date Posted: May-27-2020 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by stepper459 stepper459 wrote:

I went from an '89 Supra closed bow direct drive - a 21' - into my 2003 Super Air Nautique TE. We absolutely love the boat for our family, and I primarily wakeboard or wakeskate behind it - I love to ski but I'll just go behind a proper ski boat, lots of friends have those if I want a pull! I've skied behind a SuperSport and it was... ok. It's funny, the SAN has the same footprint as my old Supra - same width and length - but it has SO much more usable space.

Any particular reason you're looking at 2002 specifically? I know the interior changed a bit between 2001 and 2003, I don't know when exactly. But my '03 has a deeper floor and slightly narrower gunwales, so a little more interior room overall, compared to the earlier SuperSports and Super Airs with the same layout. Just a thought. Either will be vastly better than a direct drive for interior space.

No special reason for an 02. A super clean 2002 came up for sale on CL and I bought it after a test run on the lake. Will post pics soon.   Unbelieveable amount of room. Just love it. I need a trailer though.   Any ideas where I could fine a single or tandem trailer? Everywhere I've inquired at have a 10 - 12 week lead time. Crazy!!

Date Posted: May-27-2020 at 1:00pm
Fantastic. You will love that boat. Can't wait to see pics.

Used trailers are hard to find, but if you scour CL for a while you might find one. There's one near me but uhh, it's in Vermont - A bit far for you.

Date Posted: May-27-2020 at 1:18pm

Used trailers are hard to find, but if you scour CL for a while you might find one. There's one near me but uhh, it's in Vermont - A bit far for you.

Yikes, Vermont, that would be quite a haul! Curious though, what type trailer is available?

Posted By: ultrarunner
Date Posted: May-27-2020 at 1:44pm
Looks to be a pretty deep lake according to the soundings. Is that underwater mountain you hit charted as a hazard with low lake levels? Looks close in to shore.

Date Posted: May-27-2020 at 3:39pm

Yikes, Vermont, that would be quite a haul! Curious though, what type trailer is available?

Well, sadly the listing was deleted. It was either a Sport or SuperSport/Air from about 1999. Moot point in any case.

Date Posted: May-27-2020 at 3:41pm
You might want to check over on PN or Planet Nautique. Their might be some in-site on an available used Vee Drive trailer. I would also check skiitagain.com Mostly water skiers, but you might get lucky.

-------------

Date Posted: May-27-2020 at 11:34pm

You might want to check over on PN or Planet Nautique. Their might be some in-site on an available used Vee Drive trailer. I would also check skiitagain.com Mostly water skiers, but you might get lucky.

Will a 2002 Super Air fit on a GS22 trailer?

Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 3:36pm

Will a 2002 Super Air fit on a GS22 trailer?

It wouldn't be too small... might be a bit big though. The absolute best thing is to try it, if possible.

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 5:00pm
Your location says Granger -   I looked and found one in WA and one in TX, so it might help if you updated your profile location..   There has been a single axle Ramlin on CL in Seattle for about a year,   Ad says it came from NY and has new tires etc and was for a V drive.   If your in Granger WA, it may be worth looking at.   There is a Mastercraft trailer in Mercer Island also that might be worth a look.   If you're in Texas, neither one is probably worth the effort.

Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Your location says Granger -   I looked and found one in WA and one in TX, so it might help if you updated your profile location..   There has been a single axle Ramlin on CL in Seattle for about a year,   Ad says it came from NY and has new tires etc and was for a V drive.   If your in Granger WA, it may be worth looking at.   There is a Mastercraft trailer in Mercer Island also that might be worth a look.   If you're in Texas, neither one is probably worth the effort.

Good point. I'm in Texas. Just updated my profile.

Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Looks to be a pretty deep lake according to the soundings. Is that underwater mountain you hit charted as a hazard with low lake levels? Looks close in to shore.

Center of the lake is approx 60' deep. The rock was 20' - 30' from the shore.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 6:27pm

Lake Georgetown in TX

Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 8:25pm
The GS22 got away. I'm now looking at a new Phoenix Special Edition single axle. They appear to be well built. I'd appreciate opinions, if anyone is familiar with this company.

Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 9:16pm
I have a 2013 Phoenix tandem under my '95, all in all works fine. Complaints are but not limited to Phoenix brand are 1- no rust proofing done to inside of channel rails. I even found the pieces cut out for side light access still laying inside them. If you have access to a Ziebart type of product it would be well worth it. 2- Bow rollers are a pain, some ramps the roller actually is at the gunnel or above. Ramlin had the best setup IMOH, too bad they are not in the boat trailer business. I liked it so much I'm changing mine over.
If your ordering get the retractable rear tie downs,very convenient. They also use Kia or Hyundai calipers and disc's,can't remember which off hand but easily available. I also have The Vault bearings that so far been good but I only launch once or twice a year.

Best picture I have of the front-

Boat sitting on trailer-

Current Ramlin sourced bow stop in place of Phoenix's setup-

Ramlin trailer with their bow stop and winch-

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 10:24pm
Gary is pimping in the Lincoln    

Might want to check out Boatmate Trailers too. They are in Tennessee.

Editing my post.

Also, there is a guy on this site rebuilding a Texas Long Horn themed Air / Sport Nautique, it is a 1999 model . Thread title 1999 Longhorn Nautique restoration Thread. He just had a very nice trailer built for his boat. There is a long thread on this progress and the trailer looked very nice. Magnum Trailers, Inc. .

-------------

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 10:24pm
So nice that my grandma let Gary borrow her Lincoln. FYI Gary, Ramlin is very much in the trailer business still. Put that trailer to use and bring Big Bertha down to O-town and Ramlin will fix their “competitors” trailer just right.

-------------
Please support The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1993 Ski Nautique purple and black 351 HO PCM

Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 10:30pm
Ramlin would be my preference too. I love my single axle Ramlin.

-------------

Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 10:37pm
I'd go for the Ramlin as well but I thought they quit doing boat trailers and it seems a couple of well known members here had problems with them getting trailers for the right hull ?? The Lincoln which was just a F 150 with a sedan body is long gone- replaced by the Avalanche

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-28-2020 at 11:18pm
Yeah Chris did have a trailer built for his 196 which turned out to be for a 200? What a slap in the face. I’m pretty certain Ramlin made him happy in the end.

I was at Ramlin a couple months ago and there was a load of competitor trailers there. I asked what brand B trailers we’re doing there. Ramlin said some Nautique dealers send brand B trailers to Ramlin to fix them and make them work right before the customers get them.   

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2020 at 12:17am
Here is what it says on their web site-
Ram-Lin works side by side with Correct Craft to provide the highest quality products and services: wet coating boat towers, powder coating various boat components and CNC manufacturing components for the wake board towers. As of December 2017, Ram-Lin no longer manufactures new trailers for Correct Craft/Nautique. If you need your trailer repaired, please contact our parts department to schedule an appointment.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-29-2020 at 1:52pm

Gary is pimping in the Lincoln    

Might want to check out Boatmate Trailers too. They are in Tennessee.

Also, there is a guy on this site rebuilding a Texas Long Horn themed Air / Sport Nautique I believe it is a 2002 model . He just had a very nice trailer built for his boat. There is a long thread on this progress and the trailer looked very nice. Drawing a blank on the trailer company name but they have been around a long time and you see a lot of Southwest Correct Crafts on those trailers. DH maybe.

It's amazing what that guy has done with his boat. Wow, he even removed the bottom of the hull. The trailer co he's referring to is Magnum. They're popular around here. I contacted them last week. The quote was 6500 plus tax. 10 - 12 week wait.

Date Posted: May-29-2020 at 2:00pm

The trailer co he's referring to is Magnum. They're popular around here. I contacted them last week. The quote was 6500 plus tax. 10 - 12 week wait.

OUCH!!!!!

Date Posted: May-29-2020 at 3:14pm
Was that $6500 dual axle?

I’m sorry but the Boatmates look ok under a SN. But close inspection and talking an awful lot with them, I feel their trailer is junk. I thought I wanted a Boatmate. And don’t expect to get something special from them even if you’re willing to pay for it, like upgrading from a 3500lb axle....

-------------

Posted By: DVskier
Date Posted: May-29-2020 at 3:19pm
A lot of people with Boatmate trailers are upset about their performance with the 2010 - current SN 200’s. They don’t load properly and require modifications to perform adequately, still not a good fit. Another reason to stick with my 196. The 200’s do ski well though.

Posted By: frozenskier
Date Posted: May-29-2020 at 4:39pm
vbtla, Just curious, How did you make out with the Insurance Company?

Date Posted: May-29-2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by frozenskier frozenskier wrote:

vbtla, Just curious, How did you make out with the Insurance Company?

Still waiting... The official response from the insurance co is: "We are evaluating the damage to your property."

Date Posted: May-29-2020 at 5:06pm
Some of the Eagle trailers make the boat sit too high on the trailer for my liking. However, Chris Quinner's Eagle under his 206 looks great. EZ Loader also makes inboard trailers, but I am only familiar with their pontoon trailers which are very well built. There is another brand out there too titled DH or DHL (Shipping Company). Seem like a lot of California boats sit on those.

Good luck,

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: May-29-2020 at 5:24pm
DHM went out of business over 10 years ago. The company that bought them has also gone out of business.

Date Posted: May-29-2020 at 5:36pm
My 2-axle trailer is made by DHL Enterprises. I believe that DHM Enterprises and DHL Enterprises were a parent/subsidiary of the same organization. They made great trailers. Too bad that they are no longer in business.

JQ

-------------
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: ultrarunner
Date Posted: May-29-2020 at 6:33pm
My ‘96 196 sits on a single axle Prestige trailer. Steel. Judging by the OEM trailer sticker, it appears original to the boat as you can still make out Ski Nautique. Maybe this outfit is still around.

Date Posted: May-31-2020 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I’m sorry but the Boatmates look ok under a SN. But close inspection and talking an awful lot with them, I feel their trailer is junk. I thought I wanted a Boatmate. And don’t expect to get something special from them even if you’re willing to pay for it, like upgrading from a 3500lb axle....

Yes, that was for a dual axle.

Date Posted: June-01-2020 at 8:22am
Seeing how any trailer for a Super Sport or Super Air from 1995 through 2006 would fit your boat perfectly, I'd keep scouring CL, the forums, etc. for a used trailer. They might be kind of rare, but not unheard of, and you might have to make a bit of a drive, but one has to come up. If you were close to me I'd let you use mine in the meantime, it just sits in the woods from May - October. But I think we're about 1,800 miles apart.

Date Posted: June-01-2020 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I asked Magnum about a single axle. The response is the cost would be the same.
So, 6500 for a single axle, 5200lb. Man, I'm in the wrong business.

Date Posted: June-01-2020 at 12:14pm

Seeing how any trailer for a Super Sport or Super Air from 1995 through 2006 would fit your boat perfectly, I'd keep scouring CL, the forums, etc. for a used trailer. They might be kind of rare, but not unheard of, and you might have to make a bit of a drive, but one has to come up. If you were close to me I'd let you use mine in the meantime, it just sits in the woods from May - October. But I think we're about 1,800 miles apart.

Thanks, that gives me a year range to look for.

Date Posted: June-02-2020 at 3:03am
Trailer from an Air Nautique. Would this work for my 2002 SANTE?

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: June-02-2020 at 9:34pm
Super long drive, but this is the single axle I was talking about in an earlier post. Also a tandem axle in Seattle, but it's been modified for a sail boat.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/722978180/" rel="nofollow - Air trailer

Date Posted: June-02-2020 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Super long drive, but this is the single axle I was talking about in an earlier post. Also a tandem axle in Seattle, but it's been modified for a sail boat.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/722978180/" rel="nofollow - Air trailer

Thanks, I will check into it! Yeah, I saw the tandem that was modified for a sailboat. What a way to ruin a nice trailer...

Date Posted: June-03-2020 at 3:52pm

Trailer from an Air Nautique. Would this work for my 2002 SANTE?

The problem with an Air trailer is the axle placement will be farther forward. You could have too light of a tongue, which isn't really safe for towing, not to mention, it could tip up if you stepped on the swim deck or something, potentially. Going the other direction, you'd just have a very heavy tongue, which is still not great, but a better problem to have, in my opinion.

Posted By: burban65
Date Posted: June-03-2020 at 5:21pm
https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Trailer&postid=55298

I know it's a Master Crap but.looks like a decent trailer and I bet he will come off the price quite a bit.

-------------
SRB

Date Posted: June-03-2020 at 5:52pm
Thank you all for responding. I was able to fine a trailer locally. Not exactly what I was looking for but I think it'll work just fine.

Print Page | Close Window