Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5056
Printed Date: June-08-2024 at 1:04am

Topic: Towing - Honda Pilot
Posted By: rleinen79
Subject: Towing - Honda Pilot
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 2:59pm
OK, here's my situation. We currently tow our 97 SNOB with a 2002 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 v-6. The boat sits on a new tandem axle trailer with brakes. I don't think the Explorer does all that well towing it, and it get's horrible gas mileage with boat in tow (9-10 mpg). The wife has been on me forever to trade it in and get a Honda Pilot. The problem is, the Pilot is only rated to tow 4500 lbs. I think the boat and trailer combination is under that weight, just not by very much. Ideally, I'd love to step up into an Expedition, or Yukon, but with gas the way it is, smaller is better. The local Honda dealer, who is a friend of the family, has a great deal going on Pilots right now. Does anyone on here tow anything with a Pilot? Let me know, as this is obviously a huge consideration in a new vehicle purchase.

Thanks
Rob

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Replies:
Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:04pm
Don't discount the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Yukon XL. My 2000 Yukon XL with the 327 (I think that's a 5.3 liter) gets 17 mpg around town, 13-14 if towing the boat, and if I drive it 60-65 on the highway, I can approach 20mpg. It has 130K miles on it, and I've never had a problem. Oil changes, standard tuneup at 90K, tires, and get this, brakes on rear only at 120K.

I too have been looking at a Pilot for the wife (new kid, and she wants something smaller than the Yukon XL). However, I doubt I will ever tow anything with it.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:05pm
I don't know your current situation, but I'd get that boat fixed up right before messing around with tow vehicles.

-------------

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I don't know your current situation, but I'd get that boat fixed up right before messing around with tow vehicles.

Boat is being fixed over the winter. It'll be ready to go in the spring!

Rob

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:30pm
Rob,

The Pilot is a unibody vehicle, like most cars today. It's also a front-drive platform (sending power to the rear optionally with a 4WD system). It also has independant rear suspension, which although catching on in most SUV designs is not generally preferred for towing. Basically it is a heavy-duty car, not a truck. My in-laws really wanted this car as well, and would be towing their Sea Ray with it. They compared it to the 4Runner, which is a real body-on-frame truck with truck-grade components and solid rear axle. They ended up going with the 4Runner, so now the inlaws and I both have matching 2006 4Runner V8s. I get 13-15MPG towing and 19-21 hwy and the V8 tows with a vengance. It also offers an excellent ride and carlike handling. If you are looking at any mid-size SUV in that price range, get over to Toyota and take a look! Your rig will kill a Pilot/MDX over time, IMO.

EDIT: Heck, just take mine for a spin around the block this weekend.

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:38pm
Rob I would say tune-up the tow vehicle, change the tranny filter, drive in over-drive while towing and stay away from the Pilot as a tow vehicle it's just not going to cut it. Go with a used late model full size truck/SUV if you want more space or power but 10-15 mph towing is all your going to get at best. using premium gas and setting the tire pressue at 95-100% of the maximum rated level on all eight wheels helps out.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:45pm
"smaller is better."
not entirely

Not enough ma$$ nor wheelbase.

I concur with bkhallpa$$

my wife's 2000 Sierra extracab SB with the 4.8 v8 gets 21 mpg highway repeatedly. over 255 hp

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: 87BFN owner
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:49pm
what is everyone's appeal to foriegn cars and trucks. Doesn't anyone like Ford or chevy anymore. Sorry if it offended anybody, factory/UAW worker mantality kicked in.

If your looking to keep the best tow vehicle possible, sometimes you have to pay for it in other areas. Fuel economy is one of them. 2005 F-350 four door 4X4 desiel gets 18 towing the BFN single axle trailer running 75MPH. What more could you ask for.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Posted By: Munday
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:10pm
I agree the Pilot won't do the job very long.
Unless you get a boat storage close to the lake,then it might do you ok.

Munday

02 Avalanche does the job very well!

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:13pm
I am with 87BFN, I just cannot understand how so many people would even consider buying a Foriegn car, it especially fries my a$$ when I see one with an american flag bumper sticker! I also am Sorry if I offended anyone, just something that I have always felt strongly about.
BTW, on my 3rd Suburban, same experience as BKH, the 2500 was the best to tow with though.

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I am with 87BFN, I just cannot understand how so many people would even consider buying a Foriegn car

I like the GM full-size SUVs a lot, but they are just too huge of a car for me. If there was a good american mid-size SUV out there I'd seriously consider it, but the Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada/Ascender platform is pretty sub-par and the Explorer doesn't do it for me either, sorry. America makes awesome full-sizers, but that's about where it ends for me.

Posted By: Nautique2001
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

what is everyone's appeal to foriegn cars and trucks. Doesn't anyone like Ford or chevy anymore. Sorry if it offended anybody, factory/UAW worker mantality kicked in.

No offense here, 87BFN owner. I currently own a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0 V8, AWD. More than likely, I'm going to sell it in the spring. I'm torn between another Mountaineer, Ford F150 or GMC Sierra. Ford has never given me any issues. My Dad sold his Chevy 2500, which had 189K miles and ran like a top. That's my .02.

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:29pm

I am with 87BFN, I just cannot understand how so many people would even consider buying a Foriegn car, it especially fries my a$$ when I see one with an american flag bumper sticker!

A lot of "foriegn" cars are built right here in the US, and there are a lot of American cars that are a$$embled in Mexico and Canada.

Id love to support the American car companies, but I refuse to spend my hard earned money on substandard products. The only market that we still dominate is in full size trucks- and that gap is closing quickly with the introduction of the Titan and Tundra.

-------------

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:39pm
Before we get too off the course, like I said in the original post, the owner of the Honda dealer here is a long time friend of the family, and my wife has always loved the Pilots. He's always sold us cars at invoice, which is why I'd love for a Pilot to work. We don't tow more that 40 miles or so more than 2 or 3 times a year.

I have no problem with domestic vehicles.....except that the resale value traditionally sucks. When we bought our explorer, it was 2 years old. Fully loaded Eddie Bauer, 25000 miles. Original window sticker was $43,415. My price? $17900. Great to go domestic when buying 2 years old. Not so much when looking to go new and trade in 3 or 4 years.

Like TRBenj, I'd love to have 2 american cars, but when you get into a malibu, and then get into an accord or camry, or even an altima, it seems like the malibu should be half the price of the others.

Rob

-------------

Posted By: todicus
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:42pm
Just went through the same dilema back in May. Had a 2000 Montero Sport 4x4 that absolutley sucked at towing my boat. Looked at all the imports and midsize SUV's........ ended up buying the 2007 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with the 320hp 5.3L motor. It's my wifes daily driver around town, and my tow vehicle for the lake outings. She got use to the larger size rather quickly and loves it.

You will be sorry if you don't get something that can handle the towing effectively and safely.

-------------
Living outside the wake
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1525 - 95GT-40SNOB

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 5:00pm
well to answer your question about foriegn cars being made in the USA, they are not made here they are a$$embled here.

Just point out to me exactly how much Honda, Toyota, KIA, Nizzan, and any other foriegn car company pay in income tz=xes to the US government. $0 that's how much because all their proffits go back to Japan, just remember that when you apply for social securty someday. Then ask yourself why you don't get any after supporting forieng cars all those years.

The other thing that people fall to realize is the big three invented the middle cla$$, when the big three lays-off workers so does everyone else. Which means no matter what you do when we feel the pinch so does everyone else, from the housing market to the guy at the gas station. Not trying to upset any or talk politics just the way of life.

Oh yeah by the way I work for ford and refuse to buy any of their vehicles made outside the US. That's why I have an F-150, F-350 and a Focus for my wife to drive.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 5:06pm
I also heard that the Honda Pilot was based on the Honda Oddessy minivan chasis....... Maybe the Hoonda Ridgeline might suit you better, since your are going for dealer invoice pricing.

-------------
Living outside the wake

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 5:12pm
Rob maybe the miss' need her own vehicle that doesn't tow the boat????

went thru this issue with the better half last night she's a big Acura/honda/import type and I come from a long line of GM retiries and have work for them my self as well. it all comes down to dollars and cents and type of car/use. To me most american cars match up will in most cla$$', compactl-mid size they don't, and their all tin cans F or D some exceptions but very few it comes down what wraper do you want on your car, to me a lot of the toyota's honda's and such, there styling sucks or it's just a copycat of something else or old and outdated designs. The main issue with American cars is the age of the work force, and the number of retired employees and the drain on cash it creates, remember most had almost as many retired employees before the forien company's even got here, so with so much up in the air and being worried about if you can retire or if there is even going to be a pension when you do, it realy doesn't motivate one to pay a lot to detail, then throw in the piss bore managers and the gready union hounds that abuse the system and take and don't give a full days work in return what does one expect. To me the day of the union has came and gone and they need to change with the times but haven't. Hell I know guys that should have got fired years ago but they are still working, any other place they would be out on their can.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I am with 87BFN, I just cannot understand how so many people would even consider buying a Foriegn car

I like the GM full-size SUVs a lot, but they are just too huge of a car for me. If there was a good american mid-size SUV out there I'd seriously consider it, but the Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada/Ascender platform is pretty sub-par and the Explorer doesn't do it for me either, sorry. America makes awesome full-sizers, but that's about where it ends for me.

My Yukon XL actually gets just as good of mileage as the midsize chevies. The midsizes do even worse when towing because the small engines have to work so hard. So much more room - Saw no sense in buying smaller. The Tahoe/Yukon are really no longer than most of the midsizes. They are taller and roomier inside. I'm considering a pilot or Tahoe only because the wife uses the car around town, etc. and it's easier to park.

My XL actually gets better mileage than my old 4 Runner.

I have a 2500 chevy pickup as well, and I agree with quinner, that it is a little better for towing than my Yukon XL 1500. However, the 1500 gets much better mileage and is much better. Given that only a small fraction of time is spent towing, I find the 1500 to be more than sufficient. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 6:00pm
not all union members abuse the system, some like myself actually goto work and put in a full days work. Infact I work what ever overtime I can.

One more thing to remember, when the unions take a pay cut so does the rest of the US. other businesses see ford and Gm employees making less, gues what? Must mean everyone else is too.

It's not so much the unions fault anymore. Explain to me why any exec at a company is worth multi-million dollar salary in one year. The execs say the unions need to take cut backs while they keep recieving bonuses for running companies into the ground.

Look at Enron that was just plain corprate greed, look what happened to it's employees. I really feel for those guys. Couple of greedy execs ruined all those peoples retirements and futures.

-------------

Posted By: 66Skylark
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 6:01pm
Rob,

I think it was Boating World just had an article on a couple of tow vehicles, one of which was the Pilot. As I recall, they tested a 2WD model and had some nice things to say about it. If I can find the article would you be interested?

I purchased a Pilot about a month ago. (Before I saw the atricle in BW.) My previous car, an Aztek, was totaled in an accident so I had to get a new car.

There are a lot of reasons I bought a Pilot, towing was only one of the considerations in the purchase.

I don't tow very far or very often so I didn't need a big vehicle. I wanted something that could tow the 66 and maybe handle a 176 in the future. (More on that in another post!)
My commute is about 50 miles round trip so, with gas prices the way they were, I wanted something ‘good’ on gas.
While I wasn’t looking for something with a third row, the fact that the Pilot has one is a bonus.
Here in New England, I had to think about the vehicle’s ability in bad whether.
The safety options on the car – Front/Side and Curtain airbags, ABS, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, Vehicle Stability a$$ist, etc… where all considerations.
Let’s face it… My wife will be driving my daughter around in it, so reliability figured in.
Plus, the fact I bought an ’06 means they took a good amount of money off the sticker and a good finance rate.

I looked at cars for a month before deciding on the Pilot. I would love to have stuck with something from an American manufacturer and I looked extensively at Ford and GMs, but nothing I looked at from them appealed to me. OK, that’s not true… I would have LOVED an ’07 Avalanche, but I just didn’t have the money!

Do I feel like Benedict Arnold because I bought a Pilot? No. The purchase I made was based on what worked best for my needs.

Good luck Rob.
Kyle

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 6:21pm
Rob,

Kyle makes some great points. Personally, Id be leary about towing 4000lbs behind a Pilot on a regular basis- but you may be OK in the midwest. Todicus is right, the Pilot is based on Honda's minivan cha$$is.

If I were you, Id go out and test drive several vehicles. If youre a smart shopper, you should be able to buy most any vehicle at or near invoice price (before rebates).

Like Joel, Im sold on the 4Runner.

-------------

Posted By: 92'NIQUE
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 6:38pm
Great Post. I've got almost an identical situation to BKHALL. 2000 Yukon XL with 132,000 miles. 5 litre 1500 cha$$is. It feels like it could pull the Titanic. Very strong engine, great tranny. No complaints on the gas milage for what you get in reliability and performance. Unfortunately, my wife drives it day to day, and she says she's ready to downsize the vehicle. For the 1% of the time we really need the towing power, its tough to justify driving such a large vehicle. She likes the Pilot as well. I pull twice a year for a total milage of about 100 miles. So, I 'could' consider something like a Pilot or similar size. However, the XL is PAID-FOR, just like the '92SNOB, so I'll pa$$ on spending $35K right now...thank you.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=548&sort=&pagenum=6&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 92'NIQUE

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 7:06pm
http://www.hondapilot.org - hondapilot.org

This site has some great info on your potential new purchase.........check out the forums section.

-------------
Living outside the wake

Posted By: 05 210
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 8:50pm
   Rob,
If the local Honda dealer is a friend of the family,I would convince him to let you take a pilot for an extended testdrive(even if it's a used one),and tow your boat with it.You will find out quickly if it will work for you.I previously owned a 2000 Chevy Silverado with the 327,great truck-but it was a lease.When it was time to turn it in,they wanted all the money to buy it out,but didn't want to give me anything on a trade.So I turned it in and bought my father in laws 2 year old v-8 Tundra.Great truck also,However it does not have the newer enhanced v-8 and it struggles to tow the Super Air.Also being a smaller truck it seems like the boat is always in control.If you tow a lot,you will miss the full size truck-trust me.I only tow my boat 5-6 times a year for no more than 30 miles at a time,and I hate every minute of it.Good luck.

Mike

-------------
http:/diaries/details.asp?ID=2219" rel="nofollow - Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: Darrel
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:02pm
You're not towing too much or too often the Pilot may work for you. The Ridgeline as was mentioned is another option and still keep the peace w/ your family friend.
Im another big fan of the 4Runner, my only Ford is in the boat.
Good Luck with your decision.

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:03pm
Oops,just realized your coming from an Explorer,not a full size truck.

On a side note,I agree with M3Fan and TRBenj about the 4 runner.My wife buys a new rig every year(long story)and had a 4 runner a couple of years ago.It was BY FAR the nicest vehicle she has owned(did everything well) and I'm still pissed at her for trading it in!They don't give 'em away,but they are well worth it and the resale is excellent.

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:37pm
Rob,

If you do go with the Pilot -and it will probably work decently, but not great- be sure to install an aftermarket trans cooler. A big one. It's an easy install and will save the poor thing as the SN drags it down.

Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

The midsizes do even worse when towing because the small engines have to work so hard. S
My XL actually gets better mileage than my old 4 Runner.

My 4Runner has the exact same V8 as the full-size Tundra.

My 06 4Runner V8 gets way better mileage than my 99 4Runner V6.

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: October-24-2006 at 11:56pm
Best tow vehicle I ever had, was my 1994 grand marquis (same as crown victoria) 4.6 litre v8, long wheel base, and 4 wheel disk brakes. 25mpg on the highway without the boat 19 with, and it was always felt better than my s10, explorer, or even my yukon.... Oh and that Grand Marquis had 248000 miles on it when someone hit me and totalled it, they pushed me head on into a guard rail at 75 and I walked away (actually i drove the car home but there was nothing left in front of the radiator). Lots of good vehicles mentioned here... but dont rule out a full size american car with a rear wheel drive v8 if you have been driving sport utes for a few years a crown vic is a sports car in comparison..

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: Randy_in_Ohio
Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:36am
If your looking at Honda I would take a look at the Ridgeline. I read a review awhile back and they said it actually pulled better than some of the domestics. like some of the others said the Pilot with the unibody and front wheel drive is probably not a good choice.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:59am
I am glad my catch phrase wasn't suckin gas and hauling a$$.

It might have got lost in translation here.

Guess I have never been that worried about fuel economy, that I would be willing to trade either of my F-series for a vehicle that just barely cuts the mustard. I will keep the average fuel economy and keep a truck that gets the job done and still has some left to give you at the end of the day.

-------------

Posted By: 92'NIQUE
Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 5:55am
Spent a little time on todicus' hondapilot link. Good read if you are in the market for a Honda. Many of the posters recommend the Ridgeline over the Pilot if you are doing towing. Here are a few copy and pastes from one particular post:

Looking at the specs for the Ridgeline on the Honda web site, the Ridgeline has a higher towing capacity than the Pilot because of the following engineering changes:

Heavy duty Radiator
Heavy duty AT Coolor
Heavy duty PS Coolor
Closed box frame
Upgraded AT (e.g., clutches, shafts, gear ratios and bearings have all been upgraded for towing/hauling)

Don't forget it has a different body not based on the Pilot and has an integrated frame to help deal with the extra capacities.

I recall that the Ridgeline puts more torque
to the rear wheels, too.

more weight alone, means more towing capacity. But all the other comments are true too...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=548&sort=&pagenum=6&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 92'NIQUE

Posted By: 64 Skier
Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 6:02am
Myself, I tow with a '95 Tahoe 4WD with a V8. Excellent Tow vehicle. It still runs over 50 psi oil pressure and get's 18 mpg with 130,000 miles. Put the Tahoe in 4 Low and it will still scratch all 4 on the pavement or run through a foot of water on top of gumbo mud and drag any huge Wakeboard boat out of a launch that's wet and steep. Some of our launch's are gravel.

I even buy American tools and own a Harley. I'm not anti-foreign, but for some reason buying foreign doesn't sit as well with me. Maybe it's because I'm almost 50 and have a Landcruiser as a Company vehicle. The Toyota is OK at best, but then I'm partial to American Muscle, Milwaukee tools and Miller Beer.

Another thought...the Sales taxes you pay on new vehicles or even a used one is more expensive than a years fuel. Buy a real truck for towing, don't finance and drive it 180,000 miles.

Even if your Tow is relatively short; the Insurance Comapnies say most accidents occur close to home. Add a boat on the back of a small SUV and that just increases your risk.

-------------
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1071&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 71CC

Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 9:22am
Originally posted by todicus todicus wrote:

You will be sorry if you don't get something that can handle the towing effectively and safely.

I really want to emphasis this point for those who don't tow a lot. For that one time you couldn't stop or blew your trans you won't care how hard it is to park or the 3-5 mpg difference.

-------------

Posted By: Gotwake
Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 10:48am
Something that did erk me quite a bit. When I bought my 06 F150, I really liked the HD grille. Using pieces from the stock grille and the HD, I had a couple of left over parts, one being the blue oval, right off the nose of the truck. I didn't buy it because I was "Buying American" but come on - the friggin logo? Perhaps I should drive with the back of the emblem showing....

-------------

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1199&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=2005&yrend=2005 - 2005 Sante

Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:13pm
Gotwake has a good example. If the logo isn't even made in the USA, what else isn't? Curiousity got the best of me, and I went and got the window sticker from our Accord we bought in February:

2006 Honda Accord EX-L

US/Candadian Parts Content: 70%
Major sources of foreign parts content: Japan 15%

Final a$$embly Point:
Marysville, OH

Country of origin
Engine: USA
Transmission: Japan

Sound like "American Made" to me.....or at least as close to american made as anything else. Even though it's a Honda, it seems like a whole lot of American workers had a hand in the building process. What really irks me is when an American company markets cars as domestic models, when they are really just rebadged cars from somewhere else (Chevy Aveo, Pontiac GTO, etc.) It doesn't matter what it says on the grille or trunklid. Just my .02

Rob

-------------

Posted By: Randy_in_Ohio
Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:14pm
The days of "American" cars are gone.

"General Motors and Ford have always been global companies whose corporate headquarters happen to be in the United States. Daimler-Chrysler is a global company whose headquarters happens to be in Germany." A Toyota Camry or Honda Accord has a much higher domestic content (80 percent) than a Chevy Tahoe (67 percent) or Ford Mustang (60 percent)."

http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20060930-095009-9419r.htm - Car competition: Make more vroom

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/08/the-content-gap-is-closing-between-domestic-and-foreign-vehi/ - The content gap is closing between "domestic" and "foreign" vehicles

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Posted By: PLBC
Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:37pm
That may be...

but where do the profits go?

what taxes do they pay?

why does the govt. help financially/give breaks for foreign companies to have plants here?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5164&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 99

Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by 66Skylark 66Skylark wrote:

Rob,

I think it was Boating World just had an article on a couple of tow vehicles, one of which was the Pilot. As I recall, they tested a 2WD model and had some nice things to say about it. If I can find the article would you be interested?

Thanks 66....I would be interested if you could find it. Or even just which issue, and I can swing by the library.

Rob

-------------

Posted By: JHadji
Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:51pm
I used to tow w/a 94-Jeep GrCherokee. In the NE, the whimpy 6-cyl was frustrating & would eat the front brakes, but down south it was fine. Biggest concern was at highway speeds, the boat could manhandle the car (short wheelbase or light weight?).

Anyhow, I now have a Tundra and it's a world of difference.

If you gotta get the Pilot for non-tow (read: wife) reasons, be careful on the highway.

-------------
1988SkiNautique2001

Posted By: 862001
Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 1:55pm
As far as the foreign vs american trucks go, there are more Japenese trucks built in the US by american auto workers than the domestic brands.
Check it out and you will see for yourself.
Also quality is far superior with the Japs, just wait untill the new 3/4 ton Toyota turbo deisel is released in summer of 2007. Then the Big 3 will really be in trouble.

-------------
John,Fremont,NH

Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by 862001 862001 wrote:

As far as the foreign vs american trucks go, there are more Japenese trucks built in the US by american auto workers than the domestic brands.
Check it out and you will see for yourself.
Also quality is far superior with the Japs, just wait untill the new 3/4 ton Toyota turbo deisel is released in summer of 2007. Then the Big 3 will really be in trouble.

I think they will be okay. (read) MOST of the 3/4 ton deisel truck drivers/owners are hardcore american and love driving a vehicle from a company with a long history of American heritage.

Again, we know a$$embly is done here. Lets just talk about funding/profit/incentives....

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5164&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 99

Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:37pm
Funding/profit/incentives

I thought that the majority of profits go to shareholders. (I think it's at 34 a share)Majority Japanese owned? Sure, but since it's publicly traded, anyone, anywhere can own it. Tax breaks and such? Most states will give huge breaks to ANY major mfg. that creates jobs in their state.
I'm not saying I love the foriegn vehicles, but their quaility and resale is hard to argue. Heck the only foreign motor I own is the Honda 50. Now for my TV...

-------------

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1199&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=2005&yrend=2005 - 2005 Sante

Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Gotwake Gotwake wrote:

Funding/profit/incentives

I thought that the majority of profits go to shareholders. (I think it's at 34 a share)Majority Japanese owned? Sure, but since it's publicly traded, anyone, anywhere can own it. Tax breaks and such? Most states will give huge breaks to ANY major mfg. that creates jobs in their state.
I'm not saying I love the foriegn vehicles, but their quaility and resale is hard to argue. Heck the only foreign motor I own is the Honda 50. Now for my TV...

Ken, I agree with most of what is being said including your statement. The only foreign motor I own is in my pressure washer and 49cc pocket bike.

-------------

Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:53pm
WHAAAA??? 49 pocket bike??? Got a picture? New topic coming up!

-------------

Posted By: Rick
Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 8:31pm
i'm not sure what more to add. I have a 200Closed bow. It's right at 3968lbs at the truck scale. a great 6.00 investment. I was using a chevy venture with a V6 I went fot the Chevy Tahoe and got a 2005 around this time of year for less than 27K. That pays for alot of gas. I have gotten an average of 18.2 MPG including pulling the boat 15oo miles round trip this year. Keep in mind the pilot os rated for 3500 lbs regular trailer and 4500 lbs for boats. that is due to the brakes on the boat trailer. If you have to have the pilot make sure you test drive it with the boat. Good luck

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=250&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000%20" rel="nofollow - 2000 Ski

Posted By: jimbo
Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 10:38pm
In drive a Dodge Ram 4X4, 5.9L, heavy Dana rear end and towing package. I towed a flat bed trailer with 6000 pounds on it 150 miles. Handled great. That's the only time I pulled that much. I only tow the boat a couple of times a year (when I need to pull it out to work on it) and that's only about 3 or 4 miles.

Anyway, I've owned several Japanese cars and trucks and a couple of American cars and trucks. The Japanese cars are much better built and engineered and are of much better quality than the American. I've owned four Mazdas and they were oustanding. That is expect for the last one when Ford took them over. Now the only Mazda I'd buy is the RX8 -- it's pretty impressive. My wife has had Hondas and Toyotas and they are outstanding.

I could run down the list of problems I've had with American cars and trucks but it's long and depressing.

The big three have been behind the curve on inovation since the 70s and they haven't really caught up. The biggest problem for and GM are facing is funding their pensions. The Unions have run the American auto industry into the ground and I don't think Ford will be able to recover. GM may be ok because of their other holdings. I haven't heard of Dymlier having problems (other than the Chrysler problems of the 80's). I saw a piece on 60 minutes years ago that sums things up. They interviewed a worker from Ford or GM and his job was to put together a certain number of widgets a day. Once he put together his quota for the day, he would sit there and read a book. He didn't see anything wrong with that. I've always thought the best policy is to let the marketplace decide. If Japan can built a better product cheaper then that's what I buy. Unfortunately, some people are going to loose their jobs because of mistakes in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

By the way, GM has finaly put a good Diesel engine in their trucks. The Duramax is an Isuzu engine.

Posted By: Brian
Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 10:59pm
I've pulled with a Grand Cherokee, Pathfinder, Chevy 2500 P/U, and a Tahoe. Chevy P/U was number 1.....Tahoe close second.

Can't replace the heft of a full size frame and power of a V8.

Would you ever consider putting a V6 in your Correct Craft? Heck No....get the V8!

-------------
Brian

Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 11:17pm
The thing that kills me about GM is the arrogance of brand marketing. Take the same car (keep in mind, whole vehicle, not platform) and brand it 5 ways. Hell, even brand one as a japenese sounding name for people that think they are buying Japanese (the Izuzu Ascender, being the most blatent example of this as of late). Brand marketing on the scale that GM does it is really insulting to the buyer's intelligence. What if they consolidated the 5 or so weak brands they have and have one brand that makes a good car?

Date Posted: October-25-2006 at 11:52pm
   I've said it numerous times and I'll say it again...If you took all the japanese parts off your brand new Harley,you couldn't roll it home.Unfortunate,but true.I love the bikes and I love American cars,too,but we see more and more of"buy american!buy american!"but the reality is that they aren't really american.American built?yes.But so are most of the Japanese cars&bikes.It sucks,but it is what it is.As far as taxes,etc.I totally agree,but can you blame the japanese companies?no.Blame our government.A government of the people that we created.At what point do we as people of this country take responsibility for what is happening here?Our jobs are being lost to places like Mexico,etc.because our government lets it happen.It's cheaper for the manufacturers,too.Do we as consumers see the savings in the prices we are expected to pay-no.So where's the money going?Quality control goes down,jobs are lost in the U.S.,the prices keep going up,The blue collar guy gets screwed while someone else rolls in the money.I'd love to be able to say great things about all things American-I love this country,but reality is reality and my money goes wherever the quality is.If CC made boats in Japan would I buy one?damn right if it was the best quality I could buy for my money.I'm not trying to offend anyone,just all wound up 'cause I put the boat away for the winter today.Jeez,is this supposed to be about tow vehicles or what.Sorry for the rant!

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: GrandSlam
Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 10:16am
Rob, if your boat has max out your Explorer with a towing capacity of about 5,500lbs just think what it will do to the Pilot with a capacity of 1,000lbs less. I have owned 2 Explorers and until this year have never had a need to tow – so they were fine (for two adults that is) no complaints with the Explorers. Now I have a Fish Nautique, with the trailer & gear its over 5,500lbs…so the Explorer is max out. Like you I have a short ride to the ramp a couple of times a year but what are you going to do when you need to travel for service or just want to boat on another river or lake? You’re stuck, can’t handle the load, even with the Explorer not mention the Pilot. Well this topic is very timely, for me anyway. Last week we got a call from a friend who buys a new Denali XL every 2 years, his new one just came in and offered me the ’05 at a great price, my wife just test drove the Denali last night (she is the driver of the Explorer) and loves it. Should be no problem to pull the ‘Fish’ plus I do not have to make apologies when adults have to ride in the back seat. No decent tow vehicle is going to get great gas mileage; if that is your priority, like Chris said earlier maybe your wife needs her own ride and then keep your Explorer for the boat and Home Depot runs. Good luck with your decission, my wife just made ours! The Denali gets inspected next week. Jerry

-------------
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF

Posted By: Feelgood M.D.
Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 10:46am

Rob,

I purchased a Pilot about a month ago. (Before I saw the atricle in BW.) My previous car, an Aztek, was totaled in an accident so I had to get a new car.

At least you were able to total the Aztek, 1 less of those to look at on the road...

-------------
Hunting for a Early 2000s Super Air or Super Sport w/ a Python
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN

Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Feelgood M.D. Feelgood M.D. wrote:

At least you were able to total the Aztek, 1 less of those to look at on the road...

I was thinking that, but didn't say it!

Posted By: Busted Knuckle
Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 12:22pm
1. I'm surprised a SNOB on trailer weighs close to 4000 lbs , ouch

2. the Pilot will pull it , My wife has one
and it will pull it fine , the Honda trailer hitch kit is big $$$ because it includes
an oil cooler and get this a power steering oil cooler...... with the hitch and coolers installed it will be fine

3. the Pilot is not a truck , does not ride like one or look like one but it is a very comfortable capable vehicle.

4. trailer brakes ( surge) in good condition are a MUST for any of the newer vehicles foreign or domestic. the Pilot may be able to pull it will not stop it without trailer brakes.

good luck

BKG

-------------
Volante Barefoot Skier built by American Skier Boats -
www.footngear.com

Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Busted Knuckle Busted Knuckle wrote:

1. I'm surprised a SNOB on trailer weighs close to 4000 lbs , ouch

Dry weight in my manual is listed at 2340. I figure the trailer (tandem, surge brakes) is probably around 1000. Add in fuel and gear, plus water weight, and there you have it. My concern is what happens when you add in 4 or 5 friends in the vehicle, plus coolers, etc, and then ask the vehicle to go down the interstate. Probably not going to be too safe.

Rob

-------------

Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 1:05pm
Exactly Rob,

Just Pilot and empty boat I think you would be fine. Add gear, more people, cooler or two and it adds up quickly.

-------------

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 1:10pm
Feelgood,the bottom line is what will happen on a panic stop situation,even with surge brakes,if tow weight exceeds that of the vehicle pulling said load?????????sometimes we will make bad choices based on good info.Thats what is called an accident.Good choice on the Honda, bad choice to pull a C/C of any flavor........boat dr

boat and trailer weight=3750 lbs
Honda Pilot weight=??????

get the point???????

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Exactly Rob, Add gear, more people, cooler or two and it adds up quickly.

And, yes, adding some of our coolers would add lots of weight!

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 2:18pm
Interesting that several of the foreign car guy’s bashed the domestics however I do not believe I saw the contrary. Could it be the same as a Moomba or Malibu guy saying what a bucket of bolts a CC is? I have owned quite a few vehicles, with the exception of 2, all being domestic. Quite frankly the domestics have all served me well, mid size and full size SUV’s have all towed well, doubt I would own a mid size again but they did just fine and my Nautiques at that time were single axle no brakes. Foreign competition has probably been a good thing for the Auto industry however with vehicles being my third largest expenditure it gives me a sense of patriotism to support the “Local” brand and the individuals and corporations they represent and I do believe it is also better for our economy as a whole if the majority bought domestic. As far as what others choose, to each his own, personally I am grateful that I have a freedom of choice and that our Grandfathers and their fathers were willing to fight the Pearl Harbor attackers or whoever to ensure that our choice was not lost.

Rob, good luck with whatever you decide, hopefully we will see you at Alan’s this weekend, that is if my domestic vehicle holds up long enough to get me there.

Signed,

Domestics only and that includes Beer!

Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 2:28pm
I'm pretty sure Coors and Miller are owned by foreign companies now.

Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 2:59pm
Quinner, theres been some bashing on both sides.

Originally posted by Feelgood M.D. Feelgood M.D. wrote:

I look at foriegn cars like capri pants, they're fine if you're a girl, but if you're a guy...

I dont think that the people here who buy foriegn vehicles are trying to justify their inferior purchases like youre implying. I think there are many who have owned both and are simply voicing their opinions. Personally Ive only owned Nissans. I bought my current Maxima because I wanted a V6 5 speed car that I could afford the insurance on (ie not a sports car). The fact that it is good in the snow, gets nearly 30 MPG and has required nothing other than routine maintenance (now with 245,000 miles) is a bonus.

Maybe my expectations are set pretty high, but based on what Ive seen and read, Ill stick with Japanese vehicles for now. Not that I wouldnt love to have a Vette or Super Duty as a second or 3rd vehicle!

-------------

Posted By: MY70/81
Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 3:13pm
I would like to make a couple of coments on this subject for all who think that the japanese vehicles are so great. 1)Initial cost of a japanese vehicle I believe is generally higher than a comparable US vehicle. 2) Most people that I know have a tendency to trade their vehicles every 3-4 years (50-60,000 miles). 3)Most vehicles that I have been involved with (US), (Japanese),(Korean), (German), have few problems during the Warranty Period, and literally none that aren't covered by a good Warranty. So the real issue for most people is what is perceived to be desirable, How about all of the people over the last 8-10 years that just had to have a 4WD SUV because of image, how many were actually used as designed? Just wait until you get that Toyota or Honda well up into the 150-250,000 mile range and have to start replacing parts, you will see a HUGE Difference in what it costs to repair it. I own Chrysler, Ford, GM, and have been a professional mechanic for many years, I have also worked on Many Japanese cars and trucks,(yes they break also), I will tell you that from My experience I would Much rather work on the American Designed Vehicle. Toyota and Honda are indeed well engineered quality vehicles that have earned their place at the top of the American market, I also believe that US Vehicles are in Fact Comparible and Competitive, and in some respects Superior to what comes from Japan (read that as Any Tow Vehicle). Now think ahead to what life will be like with No Ford, GM, or Chrysler vehicles on the market, I bet our Japanese friends will be much less likely to sell us what we need to tow our Cla$$ic Boats.

Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 3:21pm
I will give you that foreign parts are more expensive. The nice thing is that they last a lot longer. I havent put a dime into my car over the last 2 years other than regular oil changes and brake pads.

Originally posted by MY70/81 MY70/81 wrote:

Now think ahead to what life will be like with No Ford, GM, or Chrysler vehicles on the market, I bet our Japanese friends will be much less likely to sell us what we need to tow our Cla$$ic Boats.

Since the mark up on light trucks is the highest of any pa$$enger vehicle, Im sure the Japanese (or whoever else) would be glad to sell us as many as we want to buy- especially if the Big 3 were out of the picture.

-------------

Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 3:39pm
Foreign car companies throw the word truck around awfully lightly as some one pointed out earlier. This is how I see it, if you want to pull a waverrunner, dirtbike, or your son/daughter's Barbi's Magic Mansion, get a Pilot or some other foreign "truck"/SUV, if you are going to pull a boat heavier than a canoe get something that can do it right and with out any doubts to safety. You can bet your a$$ I wouldn't pull my boat with something I had to ask you guys about buying. As the old saying goes, better safe than in a Honda... or something like that.

-------------
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN

Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 3:43pm

I'm pretty sure Coors and Miller are owned by foreign companies now.

Yet another reason to drink Busch Light.

-------------
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN

Date Posted: October-26-2006 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by wrote:

I'd rather see my sister in a whore house than my brother on a Honda.

-------------

Posted By: MY70/81
Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:51am
TRBenj, I have a Dodge that I put 25,000 mi per year on, it now has 120,000 mi on it and I have done a tune up, oil ghanges, trans service and tires, that is all. Like I said in my last post, most people don't keep vehicles long enough that any good warranty won't take care of their problems, so for those like myself that do, the US vehicles are much cheaper to keep. And just what does any manufacturer other than US offer for anything more than a 1/2 ton pick up? If you have anything more to tow than a boat, and you need to haul more than a few bags of groceries around, what is your Nissan Titan, or Toyota Tundra going to do when it is hooked up to a 12,000 lb 5th wheel and located in Colorado? I think that most of it's light duty drivetrain components will be scattered along the highway.

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:04am

And just what does any manufacturer other than US offer for anything more than a 1/2 ton pick up? If you have anything more to tow than a boat, and you need to haul more than a few bags of groceries around, what is your Nissan Titan, or Toyota Tundra going to do when it is hooked up to a 12,000 lb 5th wheel and located in Colorado? I think that most of it's light duty drivetrain components will be scattered along the highway.

Amen brother. And for the trendy car buyers that trade in their vehicles every 2 years, you don't deserve fair resale anyway. TRB, I bet that maxima really pulls that boat out of the water. If you ever need a tow, gimme ring, I'll drop the tailgate and we can just toss her in the back.

~Proud driver of a 1 ton deisel.

-------------
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:21am

What is your Nissan Titan, or Toyota Tundra going to do when it is hooked up to a 12,000 lb 5th wheel and located in Colorado? I think that most of it's light duty drivetrain components will be scattered along the highway.

Excellent point. I agree that there is nothing currently offered to compete with the heavy duty American trucks. Id love to own one, but it just doesnt fit my needs. Supposedly the new Tundra will offer a heavy duty lineup- we shall see.

Feelgood, I appreciate the offer. Towing duty is currently handled by an '01 Pathfinder. It may not have the power of a 1 ton diesel, but it handles some pretty nasty ramps and driveways just fine. It also got nearly 15 mpg coming back 950 miles from Chicago, which isnt too shabby.

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:30am
You know, the manufacturers themselves might not be as divided as the acutal car owners on the foreign/domestic topic- How about these collaborative efforts over the years:

Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe
Honda Pa$$port/Izuzu Rodeo
Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest
Ford Explorer/Mazda Navajo
Mitsu Eclipse/Eagle Talon/Plymoth Laser

Did I miss any? There are probably many more.

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:32am
There's the S10/Hombre? (I know it's Isuzu)

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

There's the S10/Hombre? (I know it's Isuzu)

I don't know at what point GM acquired Izuzu- I left out the cross-brand vehicles under the same parent company. Although, I believe Ford owns Mazda, so ignore that.

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:59am
New United Motors in Fremont, CA. Toyota and GM I believe. Make a car which is badged by both. Also make small Toyota pickups a the plant. This was a rennovated Ford plant which shut down in the 70s. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 10:13am

New United Motors in Fremont, CA. Toyota and GM I believe. Make a car which is badged by both. Also make small Toyota pickups a the plant. This was a rennovated Ford plant which shut down in the 70s. BKH

That would be the Vibe/Matrix. Completely lame car designed 100% by a marketing team, but interesting brand collaboration. Nice high-revving 4 banger from the Celica though.

Posted By: 66Skylark
Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 10:26am
M3Fan,
The Honda Odyssey and Isuzu Oasis were the same… The two companies had an agreement to build the cars for each other. At the time, Honda built the Oasis for Isuzu because Isuzu didn’t have a mini-van and Isuzu built the Pa$$port for Honda because Honda didn’t have an SUV…

Feelgood,
I don’t think Tim ever suggested he tows his boat with the Maxima. He simply stated he enjoys owning a car he doesn’t have to continuously sink money into.

MY70/81
And I’m sure if Tim had a 5th wheel in Colorado he’d purchase something that could handle the load. And I think Tim would agree that there isn’t currently anything the imports offer that could measure up to an American HD pick-up or full-size SUV.

I couldn’t agree more with you guys… If I had the money and bought a new 236 or 210 I’d NEVER try to pull it with anything but a HD pick up or big SUV. Like I said, the imports just don’t have anything to measure up to what the domestic manufacturers offer in that cla$$ of vehicle.

Again, I think one’s decision on a tow vehicle has to be weighed against their needs.

Rob,

It was actually Boating Life… I found it yesterday, but forgot to bring it with me today so I can’t tell you what issue. It isn’t that old though and may still be on the stands. I’ll remember it next time I’m online…

Honda’s website lists the weight of the 4WD Pilot EX at 4497. With the transmission and power steering coolers it is rated to tow 4500 lbs.

You said your boat and trailer figured around 4Klbs… While you are within the towing capacity, you might not want to strain the engine and transmission if you’re going to be doing a lot of towing.

Towing 4000lbs with a Pilot, to me, is cutting things too close. And if you’re going to have your family in the car you might want the added security and stability of a bigger vehicle. Maybe the Pilot isn’t the right vehicle for you.

If you have an ‘in’ at the dealer and want to go Honda try the Ridgeline. I originally looked at that, but the dealer got me in the Pilot for less money than a Ridgeline.

In my case…
I’ll be towing 1 mile to the ramp and 1 mile back…

Given the weight of the 66 and trailer, I knew I wouldn’t be towing too much weight too often so I didn’t need a heavy-duty truck or full-size SUV.

Knowing I’d be looking for a 176 in the future, I checked the weight of the 176 and added a reasonable amount for the trailer and fuel and I’m around the 3,000 lb mark. Well within the 4,500 lb towing capacity of the Pilot.

If I were towing more weight or towing hundreds of miles every weekend I’d have absolutely looked for something beefier, but for my needs the Pilot will work for me.

I have to see if I can get my hands on a copy of the picture and post it... My boss used to tow his 21 foot Sunbird with an Isuzu Samurai. Now THAT was crazy!!!

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 11:37am
rleinen79,

What did you decided to do ? Is there a new Pilot in your driveway ?

-------------
Living outside the wake

Posted By: 82tique
Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 11:51am

In my case…
I’ll be towing 1 mile to the ramp and 1 mile back…

If that is the situation,
Why not buy an old beater p/u with a solid engine for a few grand.....and get whatever you want for a daily driver?

That's what I did,ended up buying an '86 silverado,it costs nothing to insure, and it really comes in handy for all kinds of projects.....then I got an Infiniti G35 Coupe to haul a$$ around town in.   

-------------
Life is Good.

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 11:59am
Originally posted by 82tique 82tique wrote:

If that is the situation,
Why not buy an old beater p/u with a solid engine for a few grand.....and get whatever you want for a daily driver?

That would be an ideal situation. The problem with owning another vehicle is that its one more thing to maintain, store and insure. Some people need one vehicle that can do everything.

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 12:50pm

That would be the Vibe/Matrix. Completely lame car designed 100% by a marketing team, but interesting brand collaboration. Nice high-revving 4 banger from the Celica though.

It was once the Toyota Corolla and it's American branded equivalent (whatever that was). A very popular selling car. I knew the line had been retooled, but didn't know what the line was. I a$$ume you are correct about the vibe/matrix. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 2:18pm

Feelgood,
I don’t think Tim ever suggested he tows his boat with the Maxima. He simply stated he enjoys owning a car he doesn’t have to continuously sink money into.

Yeah, I know... internet posts convey sarcasm like maximas pull CCs. If you maintain any vehicle you don't need to sink a dime into it. I can bust up a foreign vehicle just as quickly as an american vehicle if I don't maintain either one. This "foreign vehicles last forever" mentality came from people who are too lazy to change their own oil on time.   I'm done griping on this topic though.

Sooooooo, I am interested to know what he bought though and how it works out.

-------------
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 2:28pm
interesting article on unreliable luxury cars

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8489200/ - artical

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by todicus todicus wrote:

rleinen79,

What did you decided to do ? Is there a new Pilot in your driveway ?

No Pilot yet. I think we're going to hold off and see if we can find something different. There's nothing wrong with our Explorer, it just so happened that I was offered a great deal on an 07 Pilot, so it was worth looking into. I thought about a Ridgeline, but I personally hate the way they look. Lots of cool features, but you still have to look at it.

I definitely didn't think this post would generate this much response. Just to make it known, I'm not against American cars at all. Our last 3 "tow vehicles" have been a 95 Grand Cherokee, 99 Explorer, and the current 02 Explorer. Car wise, 01 Civic, 04 Jetta, 06 Accord.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:00pm
the reason foreign cars have a higher resale is because to many people are willing to over pay for a used car.

A car is a mechanical machine it's hole purpose in life is to destroy itself. A car with 70,000 miles on it needs brakes, tires, shocks, and fron end work. No matter what brand. A foreign car also will cost you more to replace these parts then a domestic car. So tell me who the smart one is a guy buying a used taurus with 70k for $8,000. or a guy buying a camry with 70k for $12,000. they both need the same parts replaced at the same intervals. Especially in michigan. Not mention everyone says foreign cars last longer, if this is true why buy new every 2-4 years. When you can buy a big ford or chevy and keep it for 10 years or more.

perfect example 1979 F-250 4X4 rust free, bet you can't find one for under $10,000. resale on that truck is more then it was new. Find me an import with that kind of resale value. More importantly find me a 27 year old jap car you would want to own.

-------------

Posted By: dans
Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:03pm
Chevy 1500 Silverado 5.7 350.1989 model with 203,000 miles on her .Easy to work on ,parts are easy to find & put on.It's my daily drive as well & tows like a beast.I plan on getting 300,000 miles on her original motor & tranny. I also have an Acura Integra.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1404&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1981&yrend=198582 - 82 2001

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:09pm
I agree on the Ridgeline- I think it looks hideous.

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 6:59pm
M3fan I believe you ar ewrong about miller being foreign owned I believe as miller lite is the only union made beer. If it were not union made it would not be served at our UAW sponsored events.

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:07pm

M3fan I believe you ar ewrong about miller being foreign owned I believe as miller lite is the only union made beer. If it were not union made it would not be served at our UAW sponsored events.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=47192 - Miller Sold

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:16pm
I seem to sense that some of the people on this site have costs of vehicles in mind when it comes time to purchase one. So let me extend a helping hand to anyone here wanting to buy a ford product. I am willing to give my x-plan to anyone here. Can't tell you exactly what the saving would be on each var but I bet it's better than the best deal you can make with the dealer on any new ford. You will still get and incentives that ford offers along with the X-plan.

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:19pm
thanks for the info M3fan have to get a hold of the union rep and find a new beer to be served. Most likely have to switch to bud, not union made but better then foreign owned. Don't tell me they sold out to

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:20pm
Let me be first in line for that Xplan. Give me 2-3 years. (if possible)

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:30pm
no problem PLBC I said anyone, anytime. My email is shown now. don't know why it wasn't before.

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 8:25pm

perfect example 1979 F-250 4X4 rust free, bet you can't find one for under $10,000. resale on that truck is more then it was new.

I agree with a lot of the things you have said,but have to question this one-at least in the NE.First,if you actually found one(rust free)the owner would probably want more than 10k for it.Problem is,there aren't many people looking for a truck like that for that kind of money.They would have to have some kind of personal attachment to that type of truck to justify it with so many newer used trucks out there for not much more money.

Example:my brother in law currently owns an 86 or 87 Chevy 4WD(not sure of the year).It has ,3900,yes 39 H-U-N-D-R-E-D original miles on it.Shortbed Silverado,loaded.It had a 4" lift and 35" tires installed at the dealership when new,before the original owner drove it home.He is the second owner of the truck,and the PO gave him the original unused tires and wheels and all the stock unused parts.It has never been driven in the rain,sat covered in a garage when parked(wheel covers and all),still has the factory stickers on the exhaust and is in absolutely new condition(literally).He wants to sell it,but can't because no one wants to buy a truck that old for that kind of money.He feels it's worth all of 15k,and it probably is,if the right buyer comes along.But that hasn't happened,and as far as I can see,it doesn't matter how nice it is or what you feel it's worth,or how much the "advertised"price is.....If you can't actually sell it,it isn't worth anything.

By the way,if anyone is interested in buying it,it's probably the nicest Shortbed Chevy in the country that vintage.He hasn't driven it all summer because he doesn't want to roll it to 4000 miles.Truely sad.

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: jimbo
Date Posted: October-27-2006 at 10:53pm
I think old 4X4s are like old Correct Crafts; they hold their value very well inspite of age.
By the way, I look for the Union Label -- and buy the one next to it!

Date Posted: October-28-2006 at 7:49am
Jimbo, I am curious about your stance on the union, the concept is a great one, provide the American worker with a safe and fair working environment, healthcare and pension. Like many other good things it certainly has been abused, so what's the answer? What percent of non union co's/mfr's or products next to the union label provide those things which in turn shelter us as taxpayers from footing the bill?

87BFN, I like Fords and have had good luck with them, last one I had, 01 GT Conv, 5 yrs and 40k never had an issue even as it was primarily used by my teenage Son and the wife.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: October-28-2006 at 10:59am
plbc quinner 87 bfn i 120% agree with most of your posts! i read this and being a union sheet metal worker this foreign car crap irks me to no end! why buy foreign when you can buy american, which the prifits and taxes stay here(quinner?)
look at any foreign truck, compare gvw payload etc and nothing will touch an american truck! i loved the comment about the american flag stickers on foreign cars..one word dumb$$.if it wasn't for unions scabs would not make what the make! miller is union workers still..ford super duty trucks are the best imo also..m3 loved the link to the miller article.

Posted By: Busted Knuckle
Date Posted: October-28-2006 at 1:37pm
so , pretty much figured where this thread was headed , simular to my SnoMo forums.

Union / non union , Domestic / Foreign

upfront cost / long term cost
And then I asked my Union Steel Mill Neighbor
how do you feel about that brand new Nisson Maxima ? Reply , oh it's a great car we love it , and what does your union buddies think about it? oh we get a discount because we made the steel............

you should be more worried about the $#@% imported from CHINA , than Japan.

BKG

-------------
Volante Barefoot Skier built by American Skier Boats -
www.footngear.com

Posted By: great78
Date Posted: October-29-2006 at 9:47pm
The guy that bought my 78 tows it with a Pilot. He lives around the corner and has related a few problems with towability, but everyone drives differently. For me, I have a 3/4 ton Suburban (diesel off course!) for the 96 sport and dual axle trailer. I had this truck since new and it will run forever. I thought I needed a shiney new truck so I bought a GMC Z71 last year. Tons of power! Pulls great, but the Sub is so much smoother and solid on long trips. I sold the new truck after about a year and went back to the sub. If you plan on towing much, out-weighing your load is a good thing!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1314 - Missin' this 78SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1527&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - Lovin' this 96

Date Posted: October-31-2006 at 4:15pm
well we wouldn't have to worry about imports at all if we all bought american products. I think every american should have a job, place to live, and food to eat before we worry about what is happening in other countries.

What really pisses me off is when our gov. sends our tax dollars to other countries to help them feed their populations that are out of control. Yet the same gov that helps other countries turns its back on it's own population.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window