Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5125
Printed Date: May-12-2024 at 4:13pm

Topic: Rankin Covers Group buy
Posted By: TRBenj
Subject: Rankin Covers Group buy
Date Posted: November-02-2006 at 4:24pm
Background info:
Rankin offers top of the line Sunbrella covers that are truly trailerable. Their workmanship is top notch. The covers use a drawstring that tightens with a ratchet system and attaches firmly to the rub rail, so no snaps are necessary. The covers fit so well that no support poles are needed to shed water.

This group buy is applicable to any boat for which Rankin has a template. They claim that they have all Correct Craft templates dating back to 1989. The 1989 templates may or may not work on older boats- but I suspect they would work on any 2001.

See Rankin’s website for more information: http://www.rankincovers.com - http://www.rankincovers.com

Pricing Information:
These covers are not cheap, but from what Ive read, I believe they are the best cover on the market. Only the best for my CC!

Other Details:
All Boats with Towers will require certain measurements to ensure an accurate cover. Descriptions of the measurements you need to take will be available on the order form that I send you.

No cleat or gas filler doors will be offered on the covers. Rankin has offered to send a small amount of extra fabric (for a small charge) to those who would like to have these options added locally.

Colors:

All of Rankin’s standard colors are eligible for this group deal. They are as follows:

Shipping:
Shipping charges will be the actual shipping cost from their facilities in Washington. Shipping in the continental U.S. should range from approximately $15-$30.

Warranty:
Rankin’s standard warranty still applies. This warranty will cover the Sunbrella material for 5 years from the date of purchase. There is a lifetime warranty (for the original purchaser) on the workmanship of the cover.

How to Order:
Send me an email with Rankin in the title: TRBenj@gmail.com. I will send you an order form. Fill it out and send it back to me. When I have collected enough orders, I will submit them to Rankin.

Payment:
Once I submit the orders, Rankin will take your payment directly. They take Mastercard and Visa. They can be reached at (425) 483-9266 from 7am - 4pm Pacific Standard Time. Be sure to mention my name and this group buy.

Rankin expressed interest in moving forward as quickly as possible. I do not have a date when we will stop accepting orders for this group buy, but I will update this post when I do. I expect to start submitting orders in groups so that they may start production.

Thank you for your interest!
-Tim

Replies:
Date Posted: November-02-2006 at 4:28pm
Some pics of Rankin covers:

-------------

Posted By: 82tique
Date Posted: November-02-2006 at 4:44pm
JC,what do those ordinarily run for?.....I'm guessing $600-$700?

Edit....oops just saw the price,sorry.

-------------
Life is Good.

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: November-02-2006 at 7:05pm
Tim,

Nice work on the presentation and pricing!

How do they work the covers around the tower legs with the fabric and the drawstring? Is covering the platform available?

Date Posted: November-02-2006 at 8:00pm
Quinner, Ill try and get a pic of the cover around the tower. Ive seen how they do it and it looks pretty solid- just like the rest of the cover.

The one thing I dont like about the Rankin is that they dont cover the platform. They told me its not possible due to the way they secure. Im going to have to have something custom made at some point to protect my transom and platform.

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2006 at 8:39pm
Quinner, heres a pic:

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: November-03-2006 at 7:28am
The pocket dirtbike will have to wait. I'm in.

Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:18am
Tim- great idea and thanks for taking leadership on this type of thing- it's exactly what we need on this site- buying power!!
although- I already have a pretty nice cover and don't need a new one..sorry man. I would jump on this if I did- there is a huge difference between a cover and good cover- those covers look great!
Good luck guys- hope this works out for you all.

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:50am
That is a heck of a deal. I hear those covers are top notch. My cover's got plenty of life left in it, otherwise I'd be in. Beautiful yellow boat.

Posted By: Randy_in_Ohio
Date Posted: November-05-2006 at 1:49pm
TRB- I need a cover and these do look nice. I need a lot of things. Have to try to budget this in. I was hoping to wait until closer to spring but, Don't leave the dock without me!

Anyone have suggestions on what color would look best on my boat?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: November-05-2006 at 2:29pm
Randy, if it were me, Id go with a gray or charcoal color to match your secondary stripe.

-------------

Date Posted: November-07-2006 at 1:08pm
The group buy is moving forward- I have submitted the first group of orders to Rankin.

Thanks to everyone for their interest!

-------------

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: November-07-2006 at 2:50pm
Would they make a cover to fit my smaller 16 ft. boat? I've used an oversized cover for years with a center support, pretty ugly though it works fine. Its close to worn out so I'm looking.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: November-07-2006 at 2:59pm
63 Skier, Im sure Rankin is capable of making a cover for you- but the problem right now for this group buy is that they dont have a template. Where are you located? Rankin is in Washington (state).

If youre nowhere near the NW, your best bet for a good fitting cover would be having something custom made locally. If you can, go with Sunbrella fabric- its expensive but breathes well.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: November-07-2006 at 3:15pm
Do they have a 176 template? Probably not...

-------------

Date Posted: November-07-2006 at 3:27pm
They said they have all CC templates from 1989 forward- but Id have to ask to be certain.

You replacing the '88 Hollywood?

-------------

Date Posted: November-07-2006 at 3:41pm
I'm in NH so I guess we could say I'm not close to WA.

I've done some business with a company call Dowco that makes a ton of OEM boat covers and is building a plant for custom covers as well. I've hesitated to order from them as I'm not sure what would fit, most non-snap rubrail covers are for newer ski boats much larger than mine.

I have the original cover, lots of holes and tears, but I guess I could find someone to use it as a template. Let me know if anyone has a suggestion in the northeast.

-------------

Date Posted: November-07-2006 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You replacing the '88 Hollywood?

No, I thought it might be an option for the older, shorter boats though. The beam is still much wider though.

-------------

Date Posted: November-07-2006 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I'm in NH so I guess we could say I'm not close to WA.

I have the original cover, lots of holes and tears, but I guess I could find someone to use it as a template. Let me know if anyone has a suggestion in the northeast.

Yeah, I would say we're not all that close to WA. Even better than the original cover, why dont you call some local places and see if they could make a custom cover if you brought the boat to them? That would give you the best fit. I a$$ume custom shops are able to do drawstring covers. Snaps =

-------------

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: November-07-2006 at 6:38pm
I've seen very few shops that don't use draw strings on there covers, usually there are both snaps and a draw string. It's kinda funny you state that they don't need poles to keep water from pooling, yet your picture clearly shows a pole used in the rear section on the white/black boat on the shore station.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: 05 210
Date Posted: November-07-2006 at 10:21pm
   Chris,

The pole you see is the rear watersports pylon.

Did any of you N.E. guys see the cover on the black/grey 220 at NECC?I'm not sure if it was a Rankin,but it was very nice quality.Craig did say they had it custom made.

Mike

-------------
http:/diaries/details.asp?ID=2219" rel="nofollow - Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: November-08-2006 at 7:27am
Mike is correct. The rear support you see under the 210 is actually the pylon.

-------------

Date Posted: November-20-2006 at 2:12pm
Just to give everyone a heads up, I have submitted another group of orders to Rankin. If youre still interested, I will be collecting more orders for another week or so.

Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: November-20-2006 at 2:16pm
Tim, were there any orders for the '89 2001? If so I'd like to know who got one and get a pic of it when they get it on the boat.

Also, the '87 and '88 had split windshields, however don't think that will make a significant difference in the fit of the cover.

-------------

Date Posted: November-20-2006 at 2:42pm
HW- yes there was an order for an '89. I would expect the cover to fit all 2001's- especially the 87-88 since the windshield height should be exactly the same.

-------------

Posted By: David F
Date Posted: November-21-2006 at 9:11am
I am late to the party on this one...has the group buy happened yet? If not, I am in for a cover for my '93 SN.

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2006 at 9:41am
David, Im submitting orders in groups- youre not too late. Ill send you an email with an order form.

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: November-21-2006 at 10:04am
Tim,

Do you need a job as a salesman? That seems to be a pretty sweet discount you worked out. Good job.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: November-21-2006 at 10:12am
Thanks Alan. I dont know if Im much of a salesman- I just wanted a good cover to protect the new interior and I didnt want to pay full price! I think it is working out well for everyone involved, including Rankin.

-------------

Date Posted: November-30-2006 at 7:40pm
Just got my cover today. I haven't mustered up enough boat-geek-ness to actually fit it on the boat in the freezing garage tonight, but I will this weekend. The cover looks pretty good sitting on the floor. Full report to follow shortly.

Date Posted: December-01-2006 at 8:59am
Detailed pics please, don't forget to drizzle in that humor. Don't even start typing until you're atleast 6 deep.

-------------

Date Posted: December-01-2006 at 11:05am
By 6 deep, I suppose you mean I should kill a 6 pack, then type it up. No problem.

Posted By: PLBC
Date Posted: December-01-2006 at 11:16am
precisely

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5164&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 99

Date Posted: December-01-2006 at 11:46am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I suppose you mean I should kill a 6 pack, then type it up. No problem.

It should come out looking like something '79 typed up during one of his rants.

-------------

Date Posted: December-01-2006 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I suppose you mean I should kill a 6 pack, then type it up. No problem.

It should come out looking like something '79 typed up during one of his rants.

In that case I'd have to fire up the still out back and whip up a batch of Kentucky white lightnin'.

Date Posted: December-01-2006 at 9:07pm
Edit- Any negativity in this post is purely a literary effect known as "sarcasm", due to the BAC of the reviewer and some specific requests for sarcasm my other CCFAN members. Bottom line is, this cover is amazing. Buy one.
----------

Ok, I'm not 6 deep, but I am on my way. Put it this way- it's 25 degrees right now, and I just spent the last 20 minutes fitting the boat cover on in the garage. I figure for an 800.00 (retail) cover, I had to see this thing on the boat, soon. I'm hoping this cover gets me 200 RPM more WOT and maybe 2-5MPH on the top end. My testing plan was as follows:

1. Put the cover on the boat

So, here we go:

Initial thoughts-
The cover comes in a nice Sunbrella tote bag with a drawstring, which I thought was a nice touch. Right upon opening the box and seeing this tote bag put me well on my way to feeling much less crazy for dropping this kind of money on a... boat cover. No, not a new Monza. Not a day long ski clinic with Parrish. Not a year of car insurance. Not approximately 53 cases of Miller Lite or 8 bottles of Dom. A boat cover. The cover is also marked on all the various cut sections with my name and boat year/model, so it's clear that these are made to order AND that they've sewn together a Malibu VLX cover with a SN cover at some point in the past- they obviously don't want to take any chances with pieces of fabric floating around the shop. Again, Kudos. Nice. We're obviously talking about a serious peice of merchandise here, and I haven't even put it on the boat yet.

The fitting-
I bundled up for the cold and threw the cover over the bow of the boat. After several sessions of pulling the cover over one side, then it falling in on the other side, walking over, doing the same, repeating, etc. I finally got it over the transom. Once I unrolled the rearmost portion of the cover, I discovered a myriad of straps. We're talking no less than 5 straps on the back, plus a drawstring, with another strap. Here's the bonus kicker- the drawstring does not need to be tied. Oh, no- when you drop the 800 on the cover (600 for us, but for the purposes of impact, I'm using the retail price throughout this post), you get a ratcheting strap for the drawstring, WITH a small padded pouch to hold the excess webbing. With a velcro flap. Now, I'll be honest here- I consider myself a fairly intelligent individual, but I have no idea where A) the two most outboard straps connect- the platform? B) what the metal "D" ring on all the straps is for, and C) How the ratcheting drawstring-strap contraption works. I'll note there is no instruction manual included. The back of this thing looks like some crazy S & M getup. If anyone knows how to actually put this cover on, hit me with some info.

The fit-

"Like a drum" is a pretty good description. "Like a glove" would also work but I suppose the boat with a cover on it is more drum-esque. These pics are WITHOUT 2 straps even connected, and the other straps/drawstring totally connected wrong. Observe:

Date Posted: December-01-2006 at 9:15pm
Put your strap through the D-rings? Else that or run an extra strap around the platform to strap the staps to. I'm only about 4 deep so the creativity is quite lacking... If I keep this pace up I should probably find some dinner.

But hey, flushed the DSL down the toilet and rockin' this new cable modem is giving me a semi.

-------------

Date Posted: December-01-2006 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

But hey, flushed the DSL down the toilet and rockin' this new cable modem is giving me a semi.

LOL.

Maybe the drawstring goes through the D rings, but then you'd have the D rings rubbing the gel, which can't be good. I donno.

Date Posted: December-02-2006 at 8:22am
Joel, Ill call Rankin and see if they can provide some general instructions for everyone. Im not sure what the D rings would be for- do you have a pic of them?

Looks like the cover fits pretty good. Hopefully you'll be happier with the purchase the next time you have to tow in the rain!

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2006 at 8:54am
OH, I couldn't be happier with the cover. It's excellent. I was trying to convey that the whole time. It's amazing. Did it sound negative? The D ring can be seen clearly on the one strap on the port side transom that is not connected to anything.

Date Posted: December-02-2006 at 9:08am
Oops, I gotcha now- I missed the word "less" on the first read-through. Glad you like it- and theres still plenty of time before spring to save for a Monza!

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2006 at 9:17am
More pics- this cover could not fit more perfectly.

Date Posted: December-02-2006 at 9:46am
Have you hitched up the trailer yet and gone for a drive to see if you gained some top end?

-------------

Date Posted: December-04-2006 at 5:55pm
To anyone who is interested: I will be submitting the last group of orders to Rankin on Monday morning, 12/11/06. If you would like to participate in this group buy, please make sure you get me your order form by this weekend at the latest!

Thank you!

-------------

Posted By: Tate
Date Posted: December-05-2006 at 7:20pm
I have an '80 Martinique. Do you think I could get some measurements (since they don't have a template) and still participate in the group buy?

-------------
Tate

Date Posted: December-06-2006 at 8:55am
Tate, Im not sure. I would think there is some serious work involved in making a good template- but it doesnt hurt to ask. Give Rankin a call and see what they say: (425) 483-9266.

-------------

Date Posted: December-08-2006 at 4:42pm
TRB - So, is this our last chance to get the covers at the group price?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: December-11-2006 at 8:04pm
Randy- sorry I didnt see your post earlier. This will be the last chance to get this pricing on the Rankins. We timed this buy perfectly and snuck it in before their busy boat show season.

Shoot me an email if you want to get in.

Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: December-12-2006 at 2:26pm
I just submitted the last group of orders to Rankin. If you have given me an order, but were not notified that it has been submitted to Rankin, please email me and let me know ASAP!

If anyone was on the verge of ordering, let me know within the next few days and I may be able to sneak you in.

Thanks to everyone for their interest. Hopefully everyone who has participated will enjoy their new covers!

-------------

Date Posted: January-18-2007 at 9:08am
Just a follow up to the Rankin cover post-

I was rearranging the garage the other day and took some time to play with the Rankin cover a bit. I think I figured out the rear strap ratchet system- from what I can tell it would seem that the webbing goes zig-zagging through two sets of D rings, essentially reducing the amount of force needed to get the drawstring nice and tight (like a block and tackle). I still can't figure out what to do with the D rings on the 5 top straps.

I'll also say that the cover has stretched out a bit and is looking and fitting better than ever. It looks like the boat is shrink-wrapped! What a great investment.

Date Posted: January-18-2007 at 10:11am
joel, how long did it take to get your cover? I put my order in around Dec 12. I realize we had the holidays... I'm not really in any hurry just wondering how long it usually takes.

-------------

Date Posted: January-18-2007 at 2:26pm
I just got a call from pat at Rankin. He explained that this time of year his supplier always runs low on material due to inventory. He apologized for the delay. No big deal, I don't need it 'till spring anyway.

Thanks again Tim

-------------

Posted By: wasabiskier
Date Posted: January-22-2007 at 2:56pm

Dang. I missed the group buy. Anybody interested in talking to Rankin about another round before spring? Email me at lorinting@hotmail.com

Also, Any have experience/pictures of a Rankin or Covercrafts or Coversports on a Air/Sport Nautique (2001)?

Thanks,

Lorin

Date Posted: January-22-2007 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by wasabiskier wasabiskier wrote:

Anybody interested in talking to Rankin about another round before spring?

Dont count on it happening- we were lucky to sneak the group buy in before the boat show season. Rankin told me they would be fairly busy completing orders for new boat dealers after the first of the year.

Your best bet would be to try and organize something for next fall when things slow down again.

-------------

Posted By: wasabiskier
Date Posted: January-22-2007 at 5:10pm

That's a bummer since I need a cover this spring (old one is shredded). Looks like I will just have to pony up the money. Thanks.

Print Page | Close Window