Forum Name: Off Topic
Forum Discription: Anything non-Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5197
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 9:06pm

Topic: Your first Boat
Posted By: bkhallpass
Subject: Your first Boat
Date Posted: November-10-2006 at 11:46pm
I thought someone started this topic once before, but I could not find it. Would be great to see pics of your first boats. Here are some from my family. BKH

Dad's first boat. Photo Circa 1960.

Dad's first inboard. 1958 Trojan Sea Bee. Photo Circa 1970.

Grandad's shiny new Corsair. The first fibergla$$ boat in the family. Photo Circa 1966.

BKH' First Boat. 1956 Rockholt. Bought when I was 14. Skied behind it whenever I could through high school. Sat in my parents yard neglected while I went off to college and started my career. Couldn't bring myself to junk it so I rebuilt it when I was 30. The original Mercury engine didn't make it through the restoration. Used it a few times to cruise around the reservoir and gave it to my brother. Bought my first Ski Nautique.

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Replies:
Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 7:35am
those boats steam powerered? actually im reviving some long gone brain cells, my first boat was a 1972 century with a 1:1 v-drive, I may have some pics. around,
what killed the boat is we left the top part of the rear seat out and we had a tube on the back deck and at full speed the line fell between the seat and i never ever seen a rope get sucked into something so fast and it even sucked the tube and popped it, then it stalled the engine. luckily nobody was caught in the line, we failed to winterize that year and that was the end of it

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 7:59am
my old boss had a 1956 or so sheppard with that curved windshield and we had to hall it up into Michigan, so we loaded it on a lowboy trailer with the stern forward, guess what happened when we hit 65.... no more wind shield, try finding gla$$ for that boat, luckily i wasnt the one responsible for that nightmare

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:12pm
this is a picture of the boat we use to run for endurance records, it was a 46ft Cougar out of england with 3 3196 Caterpillar truck engines turned up to 900hp each, we ran 900 gallons of fuel and have 3 records with the boat. if you notice from the bottem of the transom to the water is about 25 feet. One of the records we still hold to this day is from Toledo Ohio to Buffalo N.Y 3 hour 53 minutes we averaged 68 miles an hour in 6 footers with a top speed of 96

-------------

Posted By: Shortline
Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:15pm

Yeah, it's a Bayliner. At least it is not a Master Craft.

-------------
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!

Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:21pm
Shortline, I just winterized a 17.5 bayliner and I'll tell you what, they came a long way, the boat is built very well in my opinion
Eric

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:48pm
Eric, No steam power, but I tell you we did have to use some pretty big skis to get up behind those little outboards.

If the triple was your first boat, you were apparently playing in a different economic realm than I was.

Shortline, it's all good. Whatever gets you addicted to the water. Maybe not the highest quality boats in the world, but for what you pay for them, you can get a lot of fun/$/Hr out of those Bayliners.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:53pm
At least that BL doesn't look like it has a force outboard on it those where the worse, we played hell trying to keep my buddie's running on a regular bases, the damn thing just didn't like to be stored or sit for long periods of time I guess.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:58pm
79 my nephew has the bl with the force, nothing but a pita
BK, i was the grease monkey for the boat I coulndnt even afford to fill her up at the time

-------------

Posted By: Shortline
Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 3:03pm
The Bayliner is sporting a Force 125. It was a great first boat for the family and a decent ski boat. The folks we sold it to still enjoy it to this day.

-------------
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 3:35pm
most of those force motors didn't last long glad to hear you got your moneys worth, my buddy had nothing but problems with his.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: scott8370
Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 4:54pm
My first boat was a 71 or 72 ( I can't remember) CC Skier. Very fun,and fast, but a little too small. People always flocked around that boat. I noticed many of you guys have been boating all your lives. My family never had a boat when we were young. We loved the water though. In fact, I'm the only one in my Family that has boats.

-------------
Scott

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 5:36pm
Here we go. Day of delivery. I had to dig back pretty far for this one, boy, those were the days.

Posted By: The Lake
Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 7:37pm
Here are two pictures of the first boat we had as a kid; a woody built by my dad. It was first powered by a 35 Evenrude, then a 60 Gale. We used the boat from the time I was 2 until until 1969 or 70, about 12 years. He still has the plans for it, and I was considereing "rebuilding" it, but bought our SN instead.

The "cabin" shown in one of the pictures is at the Lake of the Ozarks and is still in our family today; it looks quite a bit different now. In the back of the first picture is a pontoon boat that dad also built.

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=775&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970 - 69 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 8:31pm
Well, Joel we can't all start from the top.

Chuck, nice pics. I love the black and white photos. Makes them look even more cla$$ic than they are. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: The Dude
Date Posted: November-11-2006 at 11:03pm
bk: great thread idea.
chuck: like the vintage photos.
Dude's first boat:

I'm not even sure what it was. plywood. Bought a 75 hp merc (1964 I believe) off some guy and threw it on the back. We could ski behind it only at about 28 mph max.
Next boat (I'll have to look for pix) was 78 bayliner with gm 350 in it. Volvo Penta out drive. I've skied behind a lot of bayliners. I'd take a mc any day over any of them.
Next boat:

87 Supra Saltare. 454 pcm. That was a beast.
I spent a lot of hours working on that thing. I started thinking about a boat without wood in the flooring...read a lot about CCs. Loved the company history and comittments, loved the quality. Bought one. Will never go back.

-------------
Mullet Free since 93
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=717&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 95 Sport

Posted By: gn6027
Date Posted: November-12-2006 at 8:48am
My first boat is my '87 Ski Nautique, but my Dad's first boat was one he made out of wood. He planned to put two 30 hp Johnson outboards on it, but the guy wouldn't sell him both of them because he was worried that it would be too much power for the boat. My Dad thinks that his Dad talked to the Marina, and told him NOT to sell the two engines. Again, concern for safety.

My Dad's boat was probably a 14-15 foot plywood job. He built it back in the mid-50's after he graduated from GMI. I never saw the boat in person, and it had to be sold when my sister was born.

My Dad took my Mom on her first date in that boat... 46+ years later, they are still going strong.

In the mid-70's, my Dad bought a 16' Renken tri-hull with a 70 hp Johnson. It barely pulled my Dad out of the water. We skied a ton behind this boat. A couple of years after we bought it, the 70 hp was pulled and we put a 110 hp Johnson. That was alot of motor for that little boat.

I don't have any pics of my Dad's first boat, but if I can get some, I'll post.

-------------
GN6027
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2562 - 1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: MaddMarxx
Date Posted: November-12-2006 at 11:10pm
Hey Dude....were you living in that boat at the time???

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: November-12-2006 at 11:44pm
Great post.

gn6027; Remember your Dad's boat of course. Remember you as a kid in it. Always loved that hot lookin' ride you have now.

Dude: Why are you hiding that great head of hair under that weak hat? I agree with Mark, looks as tho you were livin' in her.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: November-13-2006 at 8:39am
My dads first boat, a 14 or 15 foot thompson. Had it late 50s to early 60s. This isn't it but it was like this, but had a 35 or 40 HP Evinrude. And had the original wood bench seat, not funky seats like this one.

My dads second boat. An early 60's Hiliner. Again, this isn't it but it was like this, except had a 75 HP then a 90 HP Evinrude. I learned to ski behind it. No photos of these first two boats, but I do have some old 16 mm home movies of them which are fun to have.

My dads third boat. 1966 Mustang, 289 CID, 165 HP Interceptor.

My first boat. 1981. Early to mid 70s Taylor SS jet. 455 olds. Slick boat but trouble keepingit running

My second boat was a new (1983) Baja 16SS with a 115 Johnson. No picture.

My third boat (still have it) 1989 Supra. Bought in 1996.

My fourth boat. 1976 Ski tique. Bought in 2004.

-------------

Date Posted: November-13-2006 at 12:36pm
Nice pics. With the number of 40 and 50 somethings on this site, I imagine we'll get some great old black and white photos. Cool stuff. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: November-13-2006 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

Nice pics. With the number of 40 and 50 somethings on this site, I imagine we'll get some great old black and white photos. Cool stuff. BKH

Hey, back in the days of my picture, we only had 3.2 Megapixels, and that was good in those days even though it may as well be black and white. Maybe if I had the camera in black and white mode...

Date Posted: November-13-2006 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Hey, back in the days of my picture, we only had 3.2 Megapixels, and that was good in those days even though it may as well be black and white. Maybe if I had the camera in black and white mode...

You "kids" and them newfangled gadgets. Heck, I don't even own a camera, much less digital. I leave all that technical stuff to the wife. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 12:01am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

Hey Dude....were you living in that boat at the time???
Ha!
MM: I lived in that boat a lot of days and nights that summer. Mrs. Dude hated it. She was pregnant and says it's the only boat we've had she never skied behind. I owned it with a buddy that actually did live in a VW bus for 2 years. He finally got tired of the cops chasing him out of his parking spots.
jbear: that was pre 93.

-------------
Mullet Free since 93
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=717&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 95 Sport

Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 12:37am
Nice pics.. 75tique.. in the 3rd pic.. is that you in the back seat with the speedo on??

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 10:33am
My first boat was the 66 Mustang, which now bits and pieces of it are all over the country.

My Dads first was
1966 Larson Volero 100 hp merc
2nd. '69 Larson Volero 125 hp merc
3rd. '70 Mark Twain 18' 200 hp w/#2 drive
4th. '75 Mark Twain 18' 888

I'll try diggin out some old pics.

Posted By: Nautique2001
Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 11:20am
Great thread.

My Dad and I shared boats growing up. I used to mow lawns and saved up money to help pay for the boat, gas, repairs, etc.

1. Sears Gamefisher - 12' with 8HP Evinrude
2. Glastron Tri Hull - 15' with 80HP Merc
3. Ski Nautique '80 - my first purchase
4. Aluminum Boat - 12' with 3HP Gamefisher
5. Ski Nautique'86 - my second purchase
6. My next boat - '99 Nautique

Oh, can't forget my Calstar rubber raft for my pool. It was a Caldor brand, two seater.

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 12:01pm
Ken, there's a nice 99 SNOB for sale in Indiana on boattrader.com. Just a heads up.

Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 12:32pm
Thanks, Joel. I'll take a look.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 12:38pm
Sounds like some great old boats. Let's see some pics guys. Takes about 30 seconds to scan them in at Walmart, Longs, whatever, and save them to a disk. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 3:56pm
This was our families first I/O
1970 Mark Twain 292 6 cyl. #2 Drive

Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 4:24pm
66 Mustang pic taken in 1982.
(brother-in-law driving)

Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 4:59pm
Nice Doc. Was that 6 cylinder enough for that big I/O? Most 4 and 6 cylinders I/Os I've ridden in wont' get out of their own way. Is that 66 the yellow hull? BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 6:34pm
BKH, The ol 6 was 200 hp. The big 292 Chev. and those old Mark Twains were pretty light. Blown hull not hand laided-up.
    My Uncle had a 18' Crestliner with a 150hp Merc I/O (I think 230 ci) that pulled up 8 skiers. Still have the footage on 8mm film.

Not Yucatan Yellow, mine was Champaine looked kinda pink.

Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 7:42pm
My first boat was this 1985 SN, i bought it when i worked @ CC, it had a custom metal flake blue stripe that they used on the ba$$ boats @ the time. i had to sell it but i would love to find it again! I currently have a 1980 SN that i have had for about 5 years, and the most recent is a 1986 Martinique.

Posted By: BlondieGurl1443
Date Posted: November-14-2006 at 9:42pm
My First Boat

My next one will have a motor, Maybe a pink SN!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Mojoman
Date Posted: November-15-2006 at 8:56am
However the Pelican is a cute boat there Blondiegurl (not as "cute" as my 78'Tique was), I think you should just steal Mark's Martinique when he's not looking, tear out the seats, replace with coolers and turn the thing into a floating bar !!! Pink, I'm not sure about, but what the hell, you guys are into flamingos so go for it........
LOL..

Moj'

Date Posted: November-15-2006 at 9:26am
Blondie,

No motor, but I bet it's still worth more than some of our first boats.

Still mulling over the pink SN/Barbie Boat idea (with a new daughter on the way I seem to have a more open mind ) BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: November-15-2006 at 10:18am
Brian, here's an idea of what it could look like, just the wrong brand.

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=775&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970 - 69 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: November-15-2006 at 11:01am
OMG, tell me a manufacturer actually made a pink ski boat?????

Date Posted: November-15-2006 at 12:20pm
Mark,

What kind of work did you do for Correct Craft in the '80's? You must know Craig Warner then.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: November-15-2006 at 12:49pm
I've seen the pink Brendella before. Lots of boats in the 80s with pink stripes (Sanger, Challenger, Brendella, MC come to mind) but this is the only one I can think of which had a total pink motif. Even CC had a Magenta stripe which looked pink as soon as it started to fade. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: 82tique
Date Posted: November-15-2006 at 1:36pm
There's a guy at my lake with a brand new 2006 malibu....black with pink stripes on it.

Hard for me to fathom paying 65k for a pink boat.

-------------
Life is Good.

Posted By: rleinen79
Date Posted: November-15-2006 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Mojoman Mojoman wrote:

OMG, tell me a manufacturer actually made a pink ski boat?????

Before I bought my boat, I looked at a 96 Sport Nautique that the dealer said was "rasberry" in color. He explained it to me as a dark red. The wife and I drove over an hour to go look at it. We had high hopes because the price was right. Long story short, when we got there, "rasberry" was bright pink. We didn't even get in the boat, and the dealer was pissed off because he put it in the water for us and we refused to drive it, let alone make him an offer on it.

Rob

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Date Posted: November-15-2006 at 7:20pm
nuasea, heartburn, indagestion, upset stomach, diarrhea......Yeah......Pepto-Bismooooo.....

Date Posted: November-15-2006 at 10:59pm
rob: what kind of dealer is that? Geez louise. Was it a CC dealer? Somebody please tell me there is a good honest salesman at a CC dealership somewhere.

-------------
Mullet Free since 93

Date Posted: November-16-2006 at 9:23am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

rob: what kind of dealer is that? Geez louise. Was it a CC dealer? Somebody please tell me there is a good honest salesman at a CC dealership somewhere.

Malibu dealer. Main Channel Marine on Lake Wawasee. 79 probably knows them well.

Rob

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Date Posted: November-16-2006 at 9:56am
Man, did I have to dig for these pics. I grew up on a river, and the first boat I can remember my parents having was a small outboard. I think it may have been called a Marlin? Anyway, I don't remember too much about it other than it was metallic blue and had a big evinrude and no windshield. My dad wanted to get rid of it because he could pull it all over when he skiied. I remember sitting on the pier with him when I was 5, and him explaining to me how to "hear" when an inboard was coming. He taught me that the "ones with the stars were Mastercrafts, the others were Nautiques. One day in 1984 he came home with this 71 Martinique.

The story goes, as I remember from him telling it over the years, that someone bought it new, used it until 1978 when his kids moved out, and put it uncovered in a barn. It remained there until the summer of 1984, when the guy wanted to use it for his family reunion. He brought it to Midwest Correct Craft, and told them he needed it looking like new in 2 weeks. After being told that it couldn't happen, he bought a new 84 Nautique, and left this one there. My dad had MCC redo the interior seating to be better for skiing (originally it had a bench), and rebuild the engine.

The boat had a Holman Moody boss 302 with a Holley 4 barrel carb. Again, from memory, and I don't remember exactly, the story goes something like this. Anyone that has heard anything like this, feel free to chime in and correct me, as my knowledge of history before I was born isn't that great. For the 1971 model year, supposedly Ford didn't provide enough engines to Correct Craft, and CC was left with a few boats with no engines. Long story short, Ford provided the remaining boats with Boss 302s rated at around 300 horsepower. I don't know if this is true or not, but I do know that engine was a Boss from the guy that rebuilt it several years back. Also, that Martinique was faster than any of the other inboards on the water at that time. 2 of my dads barefoot buddies both had new "2001s" and they would come foot behind the Martinique every chance they got. That boat is still in my family. My brother has it, sitting in a barn. It needs to be redone, and writing this up is making me think about calling him and seeing if he wants to start on it this winter.

A couple more pics...this was from our yard on the river. It may look familiar to "the dude". This is just west of Bittersweet, and behind those trees on the oppostie bank is AM General. Notice that old trick ski on the lawn in the top pic.....

When I was 21 I wanted a Nautique really bad, but I couldn't quite afford it, so we ended up with these for a couple of summers before we found the SNOB. I know, I know, everyone hates PWCs, but we rode the responsibly, and stayed away from others. Plus, they gave my neighbor kids a lot of fun just sitting in my driveway

Wow.....that ended up a lot longer than I hoped.

Rob

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2006 at 10:06am
Rob, great stories, great pics, great memories, I hope you and your brother can bring that boat back to its glory!

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: November-16-2006 at 11:59am
Our first inboard posted on the diaries when CCF first started. About 2 years after I posted it, I got an email from the a guy whose father bought the boat from Channel Marine. He said they owned it for about 5 years before selling it. After reminissing a bit, I asked him if he could give me info leading to its whereabouts. He said he would try, but buying it back was a pretty good idea and he'd buy it if he could find it as well. I'd love to find this boat.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=207&sort=&pagenum=10&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-16-2006 at 12:56pm
Rob, we've heard tales of a http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1244 - Boss 302 in a Correct Craft here before. It would be interesting to see pics of the motor. Maybe it was simply a 302 built by H-M? Those boats ripped.

Either way its a great story and cool looking boat- tell your brother to get started!

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2006 at 1:09pm
My brothers first boat. Come to think of it, the '66 Mustang was not my first, I had an 8 ft. Hydro called a Mini-Max.

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/DrCC-74/JTsHydro-01.jpg">

Date Posted: November-16-2006 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Rob, great stories, great pics, great memories, I hope you and your brother can bring that boat back to its glory!

Chuck

What he said. Thanks for taking the time to find the photos. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: November-16-2006 at 10:54pm
Doc,

Whenever I go to the boat races, I try to get there early and watch the young kids in those small outboard cla$$es. They don't go that fast, but there is a lot action, a lot of competition, and those kids have a ball. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: November-17-2006 at 12:04am
what they said. Rob, cool.

-------------
Mullet Free since 93

Date Posted: November-23-2006 at 10:26pm
Found another one. Dads first, '66 Larson 16' Volero- 100 hp Merc. Pic taken at Lake Taneycomo, MO- 1966

Posted By: ultrahots
Date Posted: November-27-2006 at 2:08am
My first boat...

As far as family boats the list is long and a little fuzzy until the mid 80's.

Hydrodyne late 70's with 2 250hp Black Max's
Inland Marine Tiger Shark 80hp Mercury
1980 Show Nautique 454
83 Ski Supreme 454
86 Ski Supreme 454

Before that list was a long line of wooden Cris Craft's my Grandpa owned.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6960&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1980 Show Nautique

Date Posted: November-27-2006 at 8:35am
Hey Terry, whatever Mr. Jackson paid you for that boat, it wasn't enough.

No photos of the elusive Show Nautique?? BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: November-27-2006 at 9:47am
This is really a great topic. I've enjoyed all the pics so far. It only takes a few seconds to scan it some old pics from home, or walmart, cvs, etc. So keep them coming! I'd like to see one of Magicmans old Stars & Stripes.

Rob

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: November-27-2006 at 9:15pm
Alright Rob, you asked for it..

Don't have pictures of my first boat but it was a 10' Sears aluminum John boat with a 1957 3hp Johnson. Spent almost every day of summer vacation fishing off of it

Here's my first real boat. 16' Starcraft 90hp merc

Then bought the 82 S&S, that was a sweet boat. The gang headed out for the early morning gla$$

Look closely you can see the pair of Penn Yan wood double skis. I used jump out of those to a barefoot start, what a blast. Also my buddies 81 Ski Supreme in the foreground. The following year we added another dock and had 4 ski boats tied there all summer long. my 82, the 81 supreme, an 83 2001 and a Supra, forgot the year
Caught a toe and got my favorite hawaiian print shirt wet and almost lost my shades.

My 71 Stars and Stripes, boat was bought for $800 as a basket case, drove to Florida and picked it up, most of it came home in the back of the pickup. This is it before the restore, one year later it was skiing again .

Great thread Brian, lots of good memories right there.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: November-27-2006 at 9:47pm
Awesome pics Alan!

-------------

Date Posted: November-27-2006 at 10:07pm
That 71 MC is a pretty rare boat Alan. MC didnt really get the production numbers up until mid 70s. Even though it's an MC would be cool if you still had it.

Great pics. Hope we see some more from the rest of the crowd. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: November-27-2006 at 10:16pm

That 71 MC is a pretty rare boat Alan. MC didnt really get the production numbers up until mid 70s. Even though it's an MC would be cool if you still had it.

Great pics. Hope we see some more from the rest of the crowd. BKH

Brian,

I did some research on it before I bought it, it was hull #15. The only boat older than it that Master Craft was aware of was owned by them, restored and in their showroom. The 71 had a 302 Holman Moody and man it ran strong. It was not built anywhere near as heavy as a Nautique of the same vintage, very light and nimble but not as solid. It sure was a blast to drive.

-------------

Date Posted: November-27-2006 at 10:24pm
Alan

What awesome pics! That one of you on the boom made me laugh out loud!

Hope the pics keep coming! Maybe some of the "oldies" jbear had before the "current" one.

Rob

-------------

Date Posted: November-27-2006 at 11:02pm
Rob,

In the picture of the 4 of us heading out to foot, the guy standing is the one that got me into barefooting. He was 45 then and that photo is from 1986. I can Not believe that he is 65 years old now and I don't even know if the's still around.

I think that's why I have such a good time skiing with all you younger guys, it's the same picture I'm just in a different role now. Everytime I see Hollywood doing a stupid human barefoot trick on the water it brings back some great and sometimes painful memories. hahaha

-------------

Date Posted: November-28-2006 at 12:20am
Great post! I am lovin' looking at all the old pics!

Hate to sound dumb but.....how to ya get them old shots up? Every time I hold my old pics up in front of the computer nothing happens. Do you have to have one of them scanner things?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-28-2006 at 12:31am
You can go to Walmart, Longs, those type of places, scan the picture and save it on a disk. It's really not hard. The folks at the photo center will help you. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: ultrahots
Date Posted: November-28-2006 at 2:15am
Brian there is days when i think the same thing.That was a very fun boat,but the bigger picture.....80 Show Someday.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6960&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1980 Show Nautique

Date Posted: November-28-2006 at 9:28am
Hey Magic,
Great pics of the old rides... Now that you're older, don't be going and breaking anything... Coming out of retirement isn't always that easy... Ask Junior Seau !!! Ouch.... I still like the idea of the cooler on shore.. It hurts less..

Moj'

Date Posted: November-28-2006 at 9:38am
Looks like I'll have to bust out the scanner. I have some great pics of the 77 SN that "set the hook" for me to be addicted to inboards for the rest of my life. TRB, let's see some pics of your family's boats, since you've had like 40 CCs!

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-28-2006 at 9:47am
I should have gone through the old pics when I was home for Thanksgiving. Ill try to remember when I go back in a few weeks.

-------------

Date Posted: November-28-2006 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Looks like I'll have to bust out the scanner. I have some great pics of the 77 SN that "set the hook" for me to be addicted to inboards for the rest of my life.

Come on Joel....with all the technology you've got, I figured you'd be the first to "bust out" the old pics! Get them up there!

Rob

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 6:33am
Thanks Brian. It is off to wallyworld for me after I dig thru the closet.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 8:55am
Jbear, "Wallyworld" of course comes from the "Vacation" movie, which is of course followed by the greatest sequel of all time "Christmas Vacation", a must view of our family every year.

Ok, back to first boats. This boat is a 14' 1958 Vishio, made in Topeka, KS. It was constructed of dimpled aluminum, and was a gift from my dad to my grandfather. I don't remember the original engine, but I do know that is the boat I learned to ski behind. Sadly, I just sold it to make more room to work on the Nautique.

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 9:12am
Ok, here it is. This is a "technical" entry since we didn't own this boat- there's not a chance that my family could have afforded something like this. However, good family friends of ours owned this boat for over 20 years and I learned to ski on it. This boat originally was one of two purchased for the Chain Skimmers waterski team in Eagle River, WI. The boat was then purchased by this family the next year since 5 of the kids in the family were in the show. I haven't laid eyes on this boat since 1992 but I never forgot it. I wouldn't ski behind an inboard again until 2002 when I purchased my first SN. This boat is what "set the hook" for me and made me a CC addict. One day, I'll buy a 77 and fully restore it when I have more time and money.

The second pic is of me getting up behind the boat for the first time in 1988.

That's my dad sitting on the transom.

Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 10:44am
Chuck, I first skied behind the same. Aluminum fisher with a 10horse Johnson. I can't believe after all these years you let her go.

Joel, great pics. Is that mom in the water helping young Joel get started? BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 10:50am
I can't imagine trying to get up behind a 10 horse aluminum boat. I guess that means I was spoiled growing up with a CC.

Great pics of a young M3fan. What a great pic to have of your first time skiing! Does that family still have the boat? It would be great to be able to buy that one.

Rob

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 11:04am
Rob, when your 4 years old you don't weigh too much.
OK Brian, now your making me feel worse about the decision--it was painful, and out of place for me, I have a tendency to hang on to things that have a relationship to important people, but now I can get my truck in the spot it was taking in the garage, an important consideration in a midwestern winter.
I wrote a story about that boat, myself, my Dad, and my brother out on a fishing expedition when I was a little kid.

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 11:21am
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

Great pics of a young M3fan. What a great pic to have of your first time skiing! Does that family still have the boat? It would be great to be able to buy that one.

Rob

The boat is now in Colorado, but belongs to the same family. One of the kids brought it out west about 2 years ago. Apparently it has very low hours but it sat in the water every summer since 1977- probably has blisters and rot. Who knows. I will have one eventually.

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

I can't imagine trying to get up behind a 10 horse aluminum boat. I guess that means I was spoiled growing up with a CC.Rob

Spoiled or just Lucky Rob!

The first ski for me was at 5yrs old (1969) behind my Grandpa's Rinken or Rinker with a 70hp Chrysler OB. One of the older boy's next door had an aluminum boat with a 7.5hp OB, we skied behind that more than anything else, even with us being just little kids we still needed to get one person as far forward as possible and the driver would sit in the middle and reach for the hand throttle just to get up on plane.

Joel, my first CC was a 77 same color as in your pic's, man did that thing ride low but it sure had a great sound to it!

Looks like I need to get to my folks and dig thru the photo albums plus my own to get some pic's and I believe my folks have my first ski on an old reel to reel, 8mm or whatever you call those old projectors.

Great thread Brian, hope all is well and you are getting used to those poopy pant changes!!

Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I believe my folks have my first ski on an old reel to reel, 8mm or whatever you call those old projectors.

I'll agree with Chuck at 4 years old, it doesn't take much power to get you up. We actually had an inboard at the time, but the wake was a little scary till I'd been up a few times behind the old outboard. My disappointment is that the movies of the first skis have been lost. When my parents died, I saw the films, but I'm afraid they must have been thrown out by accident. Oh well.

Poopy diapers aint no thang. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: 92'NIQUE
Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 5:46pm
Gotta love those old pix. For those of you posting old pictures (from the analog days), could you give us a tip on how you are digitizing them in order to get them on the computer?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=548&sort=&pagenum=6&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 92'NIQUE

Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by 92'NIQUE 92'NIQUE wrote:

Gotta love those old pix. For those of you posting old pictures (from the analog days), could you give us a tip on how you are digitizing them in order to get them on the computer?

I'm doing mine on a scanner but from what I'm reading you can take your photos to most places that develop film and they will scan them and burn them to a CD. Pretty good way to archive your old photos too.

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2006 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

you can take your photos to most places that develop film and they will scan them and burn them to a CD. Pretty good way to archive your old photos too.

That's all I did. Took them to the photo station at the drug store and scanned them in. Then $2.99 to burn them onto a CD. Quick, easy, and well worth it to share the memories. Keep them coming!

Rob

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2006 at 12:21pm
Already posted on page 1, but found a pic of my old bayliner. I brushed the hull on this pic because the scanner scarred it up. Also my 87 Armored Personnel Carrier.

-------------
Mullet Free since 93

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: December-02-2006 at 12:56pm
Dude,

Where is the picture of the Supra taken. I lived in Houston 79-88 and spent many hours on San Jacinto and San Bernard Rivers. The bridge reminded me of those. Either one??

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2006 at 3:41pm
Sorry Larry. It's on Clear Creek at the Egret's Bay ramp. btw, the guy in the boat is the happy man who bought it from me. I loved that boat, but you know what they say about the best two days of a boat owner's life...

That Bayliner I bought for $3k in 1989 and sold for $4k in 1993.

-------------
Mullet Free since 93

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: December-07-2006 at 3:37pm
My first Correct Craft. Bought it while still in college, 1980. Needed entire resto which I did very poorly, but OK for a 21 year old. Dragged it to SoFLA with me after school. These picts were taken on canal and marina in Dania. I foolishly ran it in the salt water, and after a few years down there with it, I sent it back up to NC, where my dad stored it for years. At the time I no intentions of ever moving back, so I told my dad to let it go to a guy who had been hounding him for years, which was back in about 1988. Haven't seen it since.

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Date Posted: December-07-2006 at 3:56pm
What a first boat! No wonder ya love them old ones so!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: December-07-2006 at 5:31pm
Great boat, great pic Reid. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: December-07-2006 at 8:39pm
Nice boat. I bet they didn't make many of those. Late 50's and plank construction?

Posted By: Behl
Date Posted: December-08-2006 at 11:02am
My first inboard

-------------
Steve in Indy

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1702&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980" rel="nofollow - Redone 1977 Ski Tique

Date Posted: December-08-2006 at 1:00pm
Steve,

That's a beauty. What make, model, year?

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: December-08-2006 at 2:31pm
Reid and Steve: those are awesome. Reid: can you believe you let it go? I hate it that I've sold some of the things I have. More info Steve! Thanks for contributing guys...

bk: this has been a really great thread.

-------------
Mullet Free since 93

Date Posted: December-08-2006 at 2:50pm
reid..thats nice, it looks like a 57-chevy was there tail lights in those fins?

Behl..is that a century or chris craft?

Posted By: JMurph
Date Posted: December-08-2006 at 6:56pm
Wow Reid and Behl! Nice boats. What a thrill to have such cool boats as your FIRST boat.

My first boat (Jan. 2006)....

Date Posted: December-08-2006 at 8:09pm
Nice JMurph.

Keep em coming. I'd like to see DavidF's Chris Craft, and some of JBears old boats.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: December-08-2006 at 9:20pm
BKH

I really did not know the exact year. My neighbor was a Chris Craft dealer and the boat was one he had in a barn on his farm. He wanted it out so he gave me the boat for it was not sellable. It had a 4-Cyl flat head Grey Marine engine.

He said the Chris Ctaft was a late 40 or early 50 unit. I got the boat around 1962.

It needed to be redone inside and out. It had been in the feedlot barn for several years.

-------------
Steve in Indy

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1702&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980" rel="nofollow - Redone 1977 Ski Tique

Date Posted: December-08-2006 at 9:50pm
Gotta love that Steve - Free boat. I'm sure it was lots of work. But looking at the boat, and seeing you ski behind it, who would have thought it was a free boat. I grew up with a 58 Trojan, pictured in the fist post of this thread. I'd gladly trade my current boat if I could have that one back in working order. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: December-08-2006 at 11:27pm
BKH

Same here. Makes one wonder what ever became of those old boats. Hope not fire wood!

-------------
Steve in Indy

Print Page | Close Window