Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6888
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 10:56am

Topic: Got pipes?
Posted By: TRBenj
Subject: Got pipes?
Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 11:38am
Those following along with my top end issues have already seen these pics, but Ill share them here for everyone else.

My dual exhaust project is done. For those unfamiliar, Correct Craft started installing 2-in, 1-out mufflers in 1989. That means that with the exception of a very few boats (502 Pythons boats, for example) all CC's since then have had a single exhaust outlet.

The biggest trick on this project was creating room for a second pipe, with an outlet symmetrical to the original. On all '89+ boats, the exhaust is routed between the primary stringers instead of outside of them. That meant that a second pipe runs very close to the centerline of the boat- right through where the rudder arm used to swing.   The picture below isnt from my boat (possibly Darrel's?) but it shows how the stock exhaust and rudder arm looked (though mine was run on the opposite side):

On the motor side, I matched the 3.5" header outlets to a section of 3.5" SS piping that brought the exhaust to the floor. Theyre not symmetrical, as each side had its own obstacles- water intake hardware, blower lines, etc. I had a custom exhaust place build the pipes for me, and I had them ceramic coated to match the Hi-teks.

The tips are 4" polished SS with internal flappers. I had the reducers welded to the tips and a section of pipe added to that. This gave me a little extra clearance with the rudder arm and gave me 2 straight shots back with the reinforced hardwall hose. I could have gone SS all the way back, but the hose provides support (it sits on the hull) and absorbs vibration. It also keeps the exhaust modular should it need to be disassembled.

While everything was apart, I ran all new cooling hoses as well as fuel lines, and replaced the steering cable.

The boat should now be JBear approved. It still has the characteristic whine from the 1.23 tranny, but compared to the exhaust its almost unnoticeable. Slip-in style silencers/mufflers are coming in the near future.

As far as I know, this is the first boat to be converted like this. There are a very small handful of boats that were converted either by the factory or dealerships- but the ones I could find all had 2 new holes cut closer to the inside of the stringers. The original hole (if there was one) was either plugged or re-glassed.

If nothing else, its different.

Replies:
Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 11:54am
Tim, there is only two people that would tackle that job;
TRBenj & The Boat Doctor.....
And for the same reason;
Did not know any BETTER.ha ha
looks awsome tim, proud of the finished product and the part I played in it.................billy

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:01pm
all show and no go....like the Boat docs,
maybe we should re-name the site "trailer queens only"

on the serious side i see many signs of perfection and I commend you

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:06pm
Tim, looks awesome. I couldn't have done any better myself. Bet it does sound great too!!!!

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:17pm
Tim, It sure is looking good. It does look like alot of "customizing" with the plumbing and the steering but I'm sure the results will be worth it. You've got over 6 weeks before GL so that's plenty of time to fine tune the project. Looking forward to seeing it.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Mark Mel
Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:27pm
Boy does that look sweet. All I can hear though is my wife saying "you want to do what?"

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=972&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980" rel="nofollow - 1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct

Posted By: Darrel
Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:50pm
That is a lot of fabrication work! And worth it based on looks alone, very trick. The stainless drop pipes are so much cleaner looking and give you more room than the invertaflo. Love the end tips too, makes it look like the hotrod that it is! I was hoping that you would explain in more detail when looking at the pics in your engine post. Thanks and good luck on the fine tuning.

Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:04pm
Eric, if I was you I would not be bashing nor talking poo poo about our boats being T/Queens.I know for a fact you have some less than stock parts on your boat,need I tell the whole story .
I see you have not posted any pics of your new ride, how about a shot of the helm, complete w/steering wheel and control box.You did say it was a binacle mount shifter ,did you not.Have you made any mods to it?
With that being said I hope we don't have to share with the fellow members ,what is in the box I shipped.Even more so what parts that they will replace. Am I coming in loud and clear Mr. Levine??????????boat dr
     Sender of parts to make you boat look like a white man owns it.....

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:32pm
you getting any work done today B.D.?
insults are a form of flatery

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:32pm
I feel honored to have gotten some sneak peeks at this setup before it was "made public" so I've said this before and it bears repeating- congrats on an AWESOME project. Can't wait to see it this summer.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:34pm
you getting any work done today B.D.?
insults are a form of flattery, oh by the way its LaVine

-------------

Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:44pm
Eric, is that a capital "v" like Vice Grips.Don't punch my buttons Eric,or the newest post on this site will be:
And Now The Rest Of The Story.....

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 2:47pm
Looks awesome Tim, great craftsmanship. I do have a funny feeling you're no where near done with the mods though. Seems there are quite a few here with that afliction. Sure is rewarding along the way though isn't it.

-------------

Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: May-30-2007 at 3:31pm
Well done Tim! Can't wait to see it this summer.

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Posted By: nates78ski
Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 12:09am
WOW!! Awesome job, i think those stainless drop pipes are my favorite.
Well done!!

Nate

-------------
Nathan
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1463&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll

Posted By: todicus
Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 12:24am
I'm jealous......... I alway's have wanted my 95 to sound like my previous 88. You have definitley broken some new ground on your boat. It's a "one off" original, that many will copy in the future.

Well done !!

-------------
Living outside the wake
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1525 - 95GT-40SNOB

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 5:59am
Tim,

That is so awesome and it must sound even better than it looks. Nice Work!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: JMurph
Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 6:13am
Tim,

I will no longer post any pictures of my 79. I am embarrassed to say that I think your engine well and engine are cleaner than most of the spaces in my boat. You are quite the person of detail. Nice job. It sure is beautiful and I'm sure it sounds even better than it looks.

-John

-------------

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 7:31am
JMurph, I know what you mean. I put the Hi-Teks on mine and the rest of my exhaust pipes/hoses look like a patch quilt compared to this thing of Tim's. I'm just gonna 'glass my engine box shut until after Green Lake. Tim, if I was a boating GIRL, I'd be all over you, cause you can obviously do magic.

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Posted By: 6strings
Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 8:27am
Tim,

Very nice. What a clean and sleek look. I agree with the rest, I'd be embarassed to open my engine box!

Two questions, as I'm not familiar with the "newer" models: What are the two things on either side of the pipes that look like vent scoops? Also, I've never seen the copper line going from the stern to the rudder box. Is that for cooling/lubrication?

You're gonna have fun with that boat!

Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:22am
The two "scoops" on either side of the pipes are the lifting rings, during the sloped transom time they took the single lifting ring at the top, replaced it with a tow point & moved the lifting rings to below the swim platform. I believe this to be true, but i also may be talking out of my ass...who knows?

Nate

-------------
Nathan
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1463&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - My '78 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:23am
Tim, As I mentioned previously, it does look good however I do have one concern. I know it was a tight fit and wish there was a better way for you to route the steering but your modified steering arm will put a lot of overhung loading forces on the stuffing box and rudder shaft. The original arm was bent downward not so much for clearance but to primarily equalize side loading on the box. I can't really tell from the picture but is there enough clearence to get the arm bent downward so it will go under the port exhaust pipe?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 67nautique312
Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:23am
Tim,

you da man!!

See ya at Green Lake!!

-------------
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:24am
Originally posted by 6strings 6strings wrote:

Two questions, as I'm not familiar with the "newer" models: What are the two things on either side of the pipes that look like vent scoops? Also, I've never seen the copper line going from the stern to the rudder box. Is that for cooling/lubrication?

Those plastic covers keep exhaust from bubbling up through the lifting ring holes in the swim platform. CC was WAY AHEAD of the industry in controlling exhaust gasses and getting them away from passengers. Heck, here we are 17 years later and the other brands are finally putting exhaust warning stickers on their boats. Note the rubber sealing strip as well that goes all the way across the transom where the platform meets the boat.

That copper line is a custom-installed remote grease fitting for greasing the rudder box. Some serious slalom drivers like greasing the rudder box, but I don't see a need for it.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:25am
I can't stop staring at that exhaust... i think this might be my new favorite thread. mmmm

Nate

-------------
Nathan

Posted By: 6strings
Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 10:07am
Okay...grease fitting and lifting rings! Now I get it. Thanks guys. It helps to ask questions here so as not to appear ignorant in person!

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: May-31-2007 at 10:33am
I can't see the pix but steering arm moment is negligible compared to the forces the bushing sees from the rudder underneath. The rudder effort is neutralized by material forward of the pivot, but the total side force it develops is significant and a lot higher than one can produce with the sterring mechanism.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: JR_VIC
Date Posted: June-02-2007 at 1:55pm
Tim,

I just found this thread and looked at all the pics and man what a fabulous job. That must have been quite an undertaking. I thought my project was tough but at least I had a shop manual to follow along and guide me. How long did it take you from start to finish?

How hard it would it be to install just one of those polished exhaust tips? Great Job!!!

Thanks!

-------------
"That's not a Snow Cone that's my Ring!"

Date Posted: June-04-2007 at 9:08am
Wow, lots of nice comments to come back to after my long weekend- thanks everyone!

Eric, trust me- shes no trailer queen! These pics are a few weeks old- I meant to take a bunch over Memorial Day weekend but I was too busy hot lapping the lake.

It does sound good- at least to me. Our lake is pretty small so Im not sure my neighbors will agree, especially when it comes time for some early morning barefoot runs this summer.

Jeff, total time invested with the project wasnt too bad, actually. Doing the floor last year was much worse. There were about 3 weekends worth of my labor, but it did take a lot of planning- sourcing parts, hardware, etc. Plus the time spent at the exhaust place, machine shop and coater's. About 6 weeks start to finish. Cost was a lot more than expected, but that somehow always seems to happen. Installing a single angled tip on your boat wouldnt be hard- lots of places sell the 4" parts (mine are Eddie Marine). The mounting holes likely wont line up (mine used 3 bolts instead of 4), but I sealed everything with Boat Life Caulk.

-------------

Date Posted: June-09-2007 at 10:26pm
I want to bump this up since JBear's back. He made it perfectly clear that the stock exhaust note on these boats was unacceptable.

Im still tuning, but performance is improving. Carpet and interior will slow progress on the motor in the coming weeks, but I should be back on the water before the 4th of July.

New pics:

-------------

Posted By: Keith
Date Posted: June-10-2007 at 3:42pm
Tim,
Modifications look great! Can't wait to hear that thing. Very nice work.

-Keith

-------------
Former:
/diaries/details.asp?ID=6170" rel="nofollow - 97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: June-11-2007 at 12:02am
Tim; Yes I just got back on last nite. Did not catch this thread right away. But now that I see it.........what can I say that hasn't been said yet? You know what kind of job you did here and so do the rest of us. Unbelievable! The look of the Hi-Techs and the stainless pipes alone would assure that I would never close the cover. In fact I just might leave the cover on the dock. The thinking and effort that went into the pipes and transome is impressive. Just wish I could be at GL to hear her run.

Just rolled back thru the pics again. Wow! I am honored just to get my name mentioned in this post!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: June-11-2007 at 8:53am
Thanks again guys. I thought you might enjoy that, John. Only having driven it so far (and not having heard it from shore), Id say the sound is comparable to a '70 Mustang with a Holman Moody 302 that used to be on our lake. Others have told me its considerably louder.

I got the opportunity to drive Keith's new '94 last week (sweet ride, by the way!) and I had almost forgotten what my exhaust used to sound like- it certainly doesnt sound like that anymore!

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: June-11-2007 at 6:08pm
Nice job. The HiTeks and the tubes look great. Where'd you get the tips?

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: June-22-2007 at 1:58pm
besides sounding louder is there any other advantage from going to single to dual outlets?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Date Posted: June-25-2007 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

besides sounding louder is there any other advantage from going to single to dual outlets?

Well, it looks cool too

Flow should be much improved, so the engine can breathe better. In addition to the increased cross sectional area (single 4" = 12.6 sq in, dual 3.5" = 19.2 sq in), the invertaflow didnt exactly promote the best velocity:

I borrowed these pics (from Jameski?), I didnt cut my muffler apart.

-------------

Date Posted: June-26-2007 at 1:29am
Does one need another reason beyond louder and looking cool?

Don't think so.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: Nautique2001
Date Posted: June-26-2007 at 1:02pm
Wow, Tim, that's awesome looking. The great thing is that besides the two exhaust pipes sticking out of the transom, everything on the outside looks factory. Don't they call this a "sleeper"? A lot of TLC has gone in to your project and it will all pay off. I can't wait to get a ride.

BTW, watch out for Larry's Ski Tique. I was on it Saturday and we were hitting 52 MPH @5,200 RPM. I thought the flux capacitor was going to kick in and we'd time travel.

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Posted By: mrobinson
Date Posted: June-27-2007 at 9:27am
TRBenj, you wouldn't happen to still have your invertraflow? I would be very interested in purchasing it if you were keen to part with it?

Date Posted: June-27-2007 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by mrobinson mrobinson wrote:

TRBenj, you wouldn't happen to still have your invertraflow? I would be very interested in purchasing it if you were keen to part with it?

I do still have the muffler, and its in pretty good shape. I cant think of any reason I should keep it- its certainly not going back on this boat. Not sure how shipping to Australia would work, but shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com

-------------

Date Posted: June-27-2007 at 12:21pm
Tim, There's a guy on the2001 looking for one too. I did give him the link to this thread.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: wakeboardin2k4
Date Posted: July-30-2007 at 6:39pm
Tim,

That project looks amazing. I am thinking about putting SS tips on my 86 ski nautique. I found on eddie marine 3.5" SS tips that look like they taper down in size on the inside.

What size is the existing exhaust hole on the nautique 2001s? I think they are 3"? And so if the ID of the exhaust hose is 3" does it flex enough for me to fit a 3.5" exhaust tip into it?

Also is it necessary to remove the gas tank from the boat in order to do this project?

Here is the link to eddie marine http://eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=11406&c=61

Thanks
Eric

-------------
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"

Date Posted: July-30-2007 at 6:54pm
Too bad those tips werent available 4 months ago, they would have made life a little simpler for me.

Youre correct, I believe the stock exhaust size is 3" on the 2001. You dont need to remove the gas tank to replace the tips, though it would make it a lot easier to have it out when it comes time to install the new hardware.

Theres no way you'll fit a 3.5" tip into a 3" hose- they dont stretch at all. Id say your best bet is to find some tips that are 3". I only went bigger since I already had one 4" hole. That would save you from drilling new holes, and you can reuse all your hoses. If Eddie Marine doesnt carry 3" stuff, there are other places that do.

-------------

Posted By: STANG KILLA SS
Date Posted: June-19-2008 at 6:12pm
any vids or sound clips?
im wanting to delete the mufflers on my 82 SN2001.

my daily driver is a drag car, i like making noise

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: June-19-2008 at 6:20pm
I really don't think rubber hose all the way out is much louder than the stock "mufflers". The copper and SS pipes make noise!

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2008 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I really don't think rubber hose all the way out is much louder than the stock "mufflers". The copper and SS pipes make noise!

Agreed that a section of pipe in place of the mufflers would probably maximize the sound...

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: June-19-2008 at 7:23pm
Tim, if you're comparing your boat with the dual SS pipe + hose to a stock boat with all hose that is not even close.

I am talking about 3" hose from transom to cast iron manifold not being much louder than with the stock through mufflers.

-------------

Posted By: Randy_in_Ohio
Date Posted: June-19-2008 at 8:12pm
Just seen this thread.

I just have to say that looks awesome! I wish I had the nerve to cut a 4 inch hole into the back of my boat. Nice looking work Tim, I bet that sounds great.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: June-20-2008 at 12:59am
On the '80...it is rubber hose all the way to the back....and it is loud.

On my '81 my brother had a guy at work make him copper tubes. Now that boat just sang. The copper gave it a much different sound. I still have the copper tubes up in my attic if I ever find the time to add them on to my boat.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: 87BFN owner
Date Posted: June-20-2008 at 2:18pm
Jbear

Wouldn't that mean you would have to go under the engine cover...

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Posted By: Nautique2001
Date Posted: June-20-2008 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

On my '81 my brother had a guy at work make him copper tubes. Now that boat just sang. The copper gave it a much different sound. I still have the copper tubes up in my attic if I ever find the time to add them on to my boat.

john

John, yes, that must have had a deeper, throaty sound I'd imagine. Copper, huh, they must be worth a pretty penny.

By the way, John, my Nautique is finally running smooth and strong. It's well broken in now. Hopefully can get you out in your old boat again someday. Still looks like a million bucks. Your buddy took great care of it!!!

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Date Posted: June-20-2008 at 5:52pm
What about stainless vs. rubber hose??? i have the 2 1/2" pipe at work to use and wondered if it would make it sound(perform) any better? I may have to try it just to see!

any thoughts?

Paul,

-------------
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-20-2008 at 8:28pm
Paul, I have the original 2&1/2" copper on my 312. All I can say (because I've never had all rubber) is it sounds normal for a 60's V8. No where near the sound of a Holman Moody - Just pretty mellow. Hopefully, the stainless pipe you have is one of the thinner tubings and not pipe (scd. 40). I wouldn't go putting a heavy wall pipe in your boat!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-21-2008 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

By the way, John, my Nautique is finally running smooth and strong. It's well broken in now. Hopefully can get you out in your old boat again someday. Still looks like a million bucks. Your buddy took great care of it!!!
Ken

It looks way nicer now...from what I can remember from your pictures. Glad to hear you are finally enjoying it a bit. Would love to take a ride and drive it for old times sake. I remember how excited we were when it was new. My friend Bob bought it the same time I got my yellow '78 that was used.

How is Patricia doing? And...how is your barefooting coming?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: June-23-2008 at 9:49am
Pete,

Haven't put the stainless in yet......just wanted to know opinions.....(especially yours)about what it would do for the boat. if i do put in stainless it would be thin wall.

See ya in a couple of weeks or so....

Paul,

-------------
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: August-04-2008 at 8:27pm
Tim-

I was wondering if you have any videos or audio clips of how your boat sounds these days with all the modifications you have done?

I tried to search the basic stuff on youtube to see if your boat popped up but it didn't. Do you happen to have any?

-------------
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"

Date Posted: August-05-2008 at 3:18pm
Nope, no video or sound clips yet. Maybe one of these days.

-------------

Posted By: P71_CrownVic
Date Posted: August-05-2008 at 8:42pm
What someone needs to figure out is how to make a single exhaust boat sound like the one linked in my sig (or close to it). As unique as what TRBenji did, I would not feel comfortable doing it.

-------------

Date Posted: August-06-2008 at 11:22am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

What someone needs to figure out is how to make a single exhaust boat sound like the one linked in my sig (or close to it). As unique as what TRBenji did, I would not feel comfortable doing it.

It shouldnt be very difficult to do- just remove the muffler and add a Y pipe and some reducers (3" or 3.5" in, 4" out) and run the extra hose.

Heres one example of a 4" in/out SS Y-pipe: http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/Detail?no=446 - http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/Detail?no=446

-------------

Date Posted: August-06-2008 at 3:54pm
It would sound like the exhaust in your signature p71. Its just a smallblock with stock mufflers, that did very little for reducing the sound. The 2to1 mufflers make those boats silent IMO and rob them of the great sound that these motors naturally make.

I however am more partial to Big Block sound...see signature

I bet tims sounds great with all that stainless steel in there.

-------------

Date Posted: August-06-2008 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

It shouldnt be very difficult to do- just remove the muffler and add a Y pipe and some reducers (3" or 3.5" in, 4" out) and run the extra hose.

Heres one example of a 4" in/out SS Y-pipe: http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/Detail?no=446 - http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/Detail?no=446

You mean that it wouldn't be too hard to make a single exhaust boat sound good...I assume?

I want that wonderful, medicinal V8 rumble...but I also don't want to have a boat with wooden stringers...thus my problem.

I have seen V8 trucks with single exhaust that sound great..and assume the same could be done to a boat.

-------------

Date Posted: August-06-2008 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

It would sound like the exhaust in your signature p71. Its just a smallblock with stock mufflers, that did very little for reducing the sound. The 2to1 mufflers make those boats silent IMO and rob them of the great sound that these motors naturally make.

I however am more partial to Big Block sound...see signature

I bet tims sounds great with all that stainless steel in there.

In other words...remove the 2-1 muffler and that wonderful V8 sound will appear?

-------------

Date Posted: August-06-2008 at 6:37pm
yes basically. Remove the 2-1 muffler and replace it with the 2-1 stainless steel y pipe that TRBenj suggested and you will get v8 sound.

-------------

Date Posted: August-06-2008 at 10:35pm
Awesome...you just made my day!

Now I can look at boats with non-wood stringers!

-------------

Posted By: tapenick
Date Posted: August-07-2008 at 1:42am
Off topic - but when did CC stop using wood stringers?

On topic - didn't see any of the pre-built products on that site that looked like they would work.   Did I miss it?   

Date Posted: August-07-2008 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by tapenick tapenick wrote:

Off topic - but when did CC stop using wood stringers?

On topic - didn't see any of the pre-built products on that site that looked like they would work.   Did I miss it?   

I have heard that 1993+ boats do not have wooden stringers.

-------------

Date Posted: August-07-2008 at 5:02pm
I heard it was 1995. I could be wrong. Its happened before, will happen again.

I don't see why those 4 inch y pipes wouldnt work.

From each of your risers you run about 3-4 feet of tubing. Bring the tubing from the right riser over to the left side where they both meet with the Y pipe. Then adjust the length of the exhaust hose going to your tailpipe to match with the Y pipe bottom and use some clamps to ensure no movement...instant v8 sound

-------------

Date Posted: August-07-2008 at 5:13pm
Matt was correct- CC went to all composite in '93.

To make the Y-pipe that I linked to work, reducers will need to be added at the inputs. I '92 and later boats got the 3.5" risers, all earlier boats got 3" (like my '90). All single outlets were 4".

-------------

Posted By: tapenick
Date Posted: May-28-2009 at 1:48am

Any after pics of the bilge around the rudder arm?

Tom

Posted By: RedSquad7
Date Posted: May-30-2011 at 3:04pm
So has anyone actually removed the invertaflo and built a 2 into 1 straight thru exhaust? I read some earlier ideas in this older thread and wondered if its been done. I am really wanting to ditch the invertaflo- Just not sure I want to fab and create a true dual like trbenj did. I LOVE his setup but would really like to avoid cutting another exhaust opening and modding the steering system. Ideas? Pics? Items needed? Shouldn't be too hard right?

-------------
'90 Ski Nautique

High Speed- Low Drag

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: May-30-2011 at 5:43pm
Dan,

When referring to "this older thread" I don't know if you were referring to this thread where Tim converted to duals or if you meant another thread, so I don't know if you saw http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21393&PID=271462&title=y-pipe-exhaust - this one or not where a guy got rid of the invertaflo with a y-pipe.

-------------

Posted By: sweet77
Date Posted: May-30-2011 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Eric, is that a capital "v" like Vice Grips.Don't punch my buttons Eric,or the newest post on this site will be:
And Now The Rest Of The Story.....

Your killing me Doc this is better than a soap !!! hahahah

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5528&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t

Posted By: RedSquad7
Date Posted: May-30-2011 at 7:03pm
Lol! Yes Larry, I meant this thread- the last post was in '09 on it! I'm gonna check your link now. I'ts been hit and miss with the search. Thanks for posting brother.

-------------
'90 Ski Nautique

High Speed- Low Drag

Date Posted: June-11-2012 at 12:37pm
Bringing this thread back to life...

After several years of threatening to do it, Ive finally taken the next step on this project. As Raindog would say, I neutered my boat. That is to say, I added some mufflers. The original intent of this modification was to enhance performance and improve the looks... the added noise was a byproduct, though not necessarily an unwelcome one. While fun for a time, I decided that since this is my dedicated ski boat, it should be a little more civilized. From now on, the BFN will not have to suffice when I get the urge to hear some straight pipes.

While I had the floor up, I decided to try adding an H-pipe as well, to see what the effects would be. Im happy to report that the mufflers did a great job of knocking back the sound by a considerable amount- not quite to original invertaflow levels of quiet, but distinctive bark is much reduced... and I can actually hear the slight whine of the transmission again. The H-pipe seems to have offset any performance loss that the mufflers brought to the table, as I picked up about a needle's width of rpms at WOT (maybe 20rpm?).

Please excuse the dirty bilge and lack of double clamping... more are on order.

-------------

Posted By: C-Bass
Date Posted: June-11-2012 at 1:06pm
Were the invertaflows a little louder than the hull huggers? I never was happy with the sound of our Sport (GT40) and I wanted a little more bark, so we recently pulled the hull hugger out and I was really suprised how much louder the boat is now. It sounds awesome from the shore and anywhere in the boat, except for the backseat. In the back, it is borderline annoying unfortunately. I wish there was some middle ground, but this will have to do.

And from one dirty bilge to another...you're excused.

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6103" rel="nofollow - 99 Sport
85SN

Date Posted: June-11-2012 at 1:30pm
The invertaflows and hull huggers are both pretty quiet... going from memory, I couldnt speak to the audible differences.

I expect to notice a big difference once I get behind the boat- people from shore said they noticed a huge difference. The loudness never bothered me from the driver's seat.

-------------

Posted By: 80SN Barnfind
Date Posted: June-12-2012 at 3:52pm
Tim,

I was looking into using these on my exhaust overhaul:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0403561" rel="nofollow - SS T-Bolt Clamps
What do you think?

Noel

-------------
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

Date Posted: June-12-2012 at 4:11pm
Ive heard great things about those T-bolt clamps... but theyre tremendously expensive! I will have a total of 36 clamps in my exhaust... a standard set up would be a little more reasonable (~16).

-------------

Posted By: 80SN Barnfind
Date Posted: June-12-2012 at 6:35pm
Yep, they do cost more, $4.73 was the most reasonable I could find in all stainless. That would hurt with 36 clamps!

-------------
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: June-12-2012 at 6:51pm
those clamps sure look nice!

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: June-13-2012 at 11:04am
They are nice but on a Mustang I think using them under the floor
would give you clearance issues.
I did use them on the manifold connections.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: June-13-2012 at 11:49am
If it's too loud you're too old!

Tim Benjamin turns 30 and next thing you know he is putting mufflers on all his boats.. blasphemous! Who would have thunk it.

Heck, I didnt put mufflers back on my boat till I was 35..

Maybe I am just not seeing something here? Where and what mufflers are you using? No performance data with just the H-pipe only?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: June-13-2012 at 11:54am
Ha, I must be getting old.

Those shiny little canisters aft of the H-pipe are the mufflers... small but effective. Ive had them for a few years now, but pretty sure I got them from http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=silencers-inline-insert" rel="nofollow - Rex Marine.

No, no performance data with the H-pipe only... I was trying to conserve exhaust hose, so I did it all in one shot. Its gotta be a performance enhancer though, as I dont imagine the mufflers are contributing anything.

-------------

Posted By: skyway2k
Date Posted: June-13-2012 at 4:47pm
Do you have any pictures handy of what you did with the tiller arm / steering setup? I'd love to see the mods you made to fit the 2nd hose through.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5240&sort=&pagenum=1 - '91 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-13-2012 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by skyway2k skyway2k wrote:

Do you have any pictures handy of what you did with the tiller arm / steering setup?

Im afraid I dont...

-------------

Posted By: Alex47
Date Posted: June-13-2012 at 7:07pm
I'm late to the party.. First time looking at this thread. What an incredible job, I am very impressed! Looks like this project was alot of work. Those custom SS exhaust pipes are so awesome! Thanks for sharing.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5444&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1977 Ski Tique

Posted By: skyway2k
Date Posted: June-13-2012 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by skyway2k skyway2k wrote:

Do you have any pictures handy of what you did with the tiller arm / steering setup?

Im afraid I dont...

Well, you know what to do next time you have the fuel tank out.

On a side note, I was thinking about taking out my Invertaflo muffler and converting to a Y-pipe on my '91. Your project was spectacular, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to go through all that yet on mine.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5240&sort=&pagenum=1 - '91 Ski Nautique

Posted By: 89Martinique
Date Posted: July-13-2012 at 2:04pm
Where did the exhaust manifolds come from?? and are they just for looks or was there performance gain??

-------------
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Posted By: 89Martinique
Date Posted: July-14-2012 at 12:26am
hello??

-------------
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: July-14-2012 at 2:35am
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

Where did the exhaust manifolds come from?? and are they just for looks or was there performance gain??

I'm not the most qualified person to answer but those are http://www.hitekmarine.com.au/" rel="nofollow - Hi-Teks . They are (or were) made in Australia. A few years ago, several guys on here (TRBenj, Boat Dr and JoeinNY and possibly some others) ordered some. They supposedly help performance through better flow. They are pricey. The price is mentioned in some old threads, but I dont have time to look right now. I am thinking $1200 to 1600 a set, but I could be way off. There was some story that they farmed out the manufacture to China or something like that, that may have compromised the quality, but I dont recaall that story exactly, but there hasnt been as much interest lately.

-------------

Posted By: hotboat
Date Posted: July-14-2012 at 9:59am
I believe I paid 2200 for the polished set, gave me a break from 2500. Good performance and sound, very limited selection of performance marine manifolds in the 351w world out there.

-------------
Brian

Print Page | Close Window