Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8206
Printed Date: May-18-2024 at 9:15am

Topic: !!!Project 80 Ski!!!
Posted By: MarineSRT8
Subject: !!!Project 80 Ski!!!
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 1:40am
Im almost all the way through the tear down proccess right now. Tomorrow I will be washing out the hull and prepping everything for the "beast" to go back in. Heres some of what Ive captured so far. I have no one to be snapping pics while Im working so forgive me if there are gaps in the progression of pictures.

There a little charred but its all at the machine shop now.

These are all my goodies so far....More to come!!!

-------------
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Replies:
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 1:46am
oops forgot this

-------------
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Posted By: 87BFN owner
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 1:58am
Let us know how the alum heads work out, there have been many posts here about them. Looks like you have your work cut out for you, but I am sure the end result will be sweet.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Posted By: The Dude
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 2:12am
I like it that the heads and others are set on the sofa for the all important pics!

-------------
Mullet Free since 93
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=717&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 95 Sport

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 2:16am
Quite a project!!! I think I'm doing good when I wax the boat and change the oil.

Good luck with it.

-------------

Posted By: MaddMarxx
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 3:29am
nice stuff... I have to ask you one thing, is that a marine carb, if not take back before you use it, and get the right one!

-------------

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 4:17am
yes it is the Holly 750 cfm Marine Carb....Thanks for looking out though

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 4:22am
Dude; I liked it to that all the stuff was laid out on the couch...Mr. Marine must not be married.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 4:34am
Nope....HAPPILY Single!!!!!

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 4:44am
I like those heads, what did they set you back??

-------------

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 5:08am
with shipping about 1200... they're only 1.90s. The 351W has notched pistons stock BUT I wasnt sure that it was a deep enough notch to facilitate 2.02s....So I played it safe. I have roller solid lifters, and roller rockers on the way. MSD ignition and Crane Fire Ball Coil.....Ive been trying to contact the doc about the Hi-Teks, someone posted about him getting a good price. Thats the next investment.

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 5:10am
oh and by the way the ski lime is def one of the baddest SNs I have EVER seen!!!

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:44am
Nate, looks like quite a project. Definitely keep us posted on the results. By looking at the cam, I would assume that you're converting this to a standard rotation motor?

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 11:23am
Do Aluminum heads require a closed cooling system like the ZR6?

Good luck with your project, many new cool parts!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 12:30pm
I call that stuff gingerbread, watch the gear drive they dont like high RPM's

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 2:44pm
If that's gingerbread, what's meat and potatos?!!?   LOL

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Nate, looks like quite a project. Definitely keep us posted on the results. By looking at the cam, I would assume that you're converting this to a standard rotation motor?

Its and 80 so the motor is already a standard rotation. CC didnt change that until 88

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I call that stuff gingerbread, watch the gear drive they dont like high RPM's

I think with the right setup the gear drive will do well. I helped a friend at home build a 383 stroker with a gear drive that achieved 450hp and will touch 8 grand if you want it to

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Do Aluminum heads require a closed cooling system like the ZR6?

Good luck with your project, many new cool parts!

I read all the threads on heads before I made my purchase and it seems to me that I will be ok with raw water on aluminum heads. Especially if I flush the system periodically. And considering the limited # of times my boat will be on the water I think Ill be fine!!!

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by MarineSRT8 MarineSRT8 wrote:

Its and 80 so the motor is already a standard rotation. CC didnt change that until 88

?? 80 had reverse rotation motors.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 8:51pm
FYI only...my 79 was RH and so is my 88; Did they put LH motors in 'em back then?

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

FYI only...my 79 was RH and so is my 88; Did they put LH motors in 'em back then?

Now your question kind of confuses me.

A Standard Rotation Boat
- Spins left (counterclockwise) when looking
   at the the prop from the back of the boat.
- Spins right (clockwise) when looking at the
   flywheel from the front of the boat.

A Reverse Rotation Boat
- Spins right (clockwise when looking at
   the prop from the back of the boat.
- Spins left (counterclockwise) when looking
   at the flywheel from the front of the boat.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:26pm
Not my intent!

I understand RH and LH...you guys cleared the terminology up for me a while back

However it's put, both my boats were RH...opposite a car...clockwise facing the stern

Backfoot asked if he was converting to standard rotation. I took that to mean going from RH to LH. I asked because I thought all of the older CC's were RH.

-------------

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:28pm
Get the camera out again, give us a good shot of the dist. drive gear or a shot of the prop.Either one will tell the direction ,LH or conventional/ RH reverse rotation.
Some the parts you have bought will work.The rear seal is specific to rotation,as is piston rotation.The cam is a LH, or convetional,and will not work with a RH or reverse rotation dist.
The oil pump is the same for either rotation.
Hope you did some research on direction before you jumped into this rebuild...boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:40pm
boat dr, again please pardon my ignorance...I understand the rear seal and cam being directional. I don't understand the piston rotation part.

Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:42pm
'79 is missing a field day here?!!?   LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 9:47pm
SRT8...Are you going to rebuild that motor or are you just going bolt all that stuff on that motor, because I have a new set 30 over, keith black pistons for sale if you need them!

-------------

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 10:31pm
The block is at the machine shope right now, and taking into account the shape of the cylinders and the pistons I will not have to do any boring at all. But if that situation presents itself I will keep you in mind. Guess I started quite a thread with the rotation comment. I know my boat is a standard rotation motor for sure. I hope I led no one in the wrong direction by the statement I made.

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 11:36pm
Figured you had to be single. You are taking on quite a job. As you can see...guys here love these threads...me too...I just don't understand what all you guys are talkin' about.

Being a Marine must pay well these days...as it should.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 12:48am
No the pay still sucks. My mother passed away a little over a year ago and left me some money, so I am going to name my SN after her. I purhcased the boat on exactly the day she passed away. See she taught me how to ski when I was little and she was an amazing skier herself. I figured its the only way for me to spend time with her now that she's gone.

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Posted By: racintj
Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 1:09am
Sorry about your Mom, and congrats on doing something to remember her.

I'm not sure how you are positive that it is standard rotation, double check and triple check that this is the case. Are you just going to put rings in it if the cylinders check out? What is the chamber size on the RPM heads? 750 is too much carb for the 351 in a ski boat. 351 ci. at 5500 rpms, with 100% VE (volumetric efficiency) is only 560 cfm. I'm suprised doc didn't jump on that. What kind of lift, duration and overlap are you running? Solid lifters, I guess you like adjusting valves.

-------------
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 1:54am
Intake duration of 291 and an exhaust duration of 311, intake lift of .541 and exhaust at .526 and a lobe seperation of 107 deg. which means I am safely clear of the 115 deg no no zone. I do however understand that my (VE) is at about 134% at 5500 rpms with the 750 carb...BUT I will be spinning faster than that. More to the tune of 6000. The (VE) of 134 is with the carb spraying static. So with the carb bridled a bit I will have no problem getting pretty close to 100% (VE). No I dont mind adjusting valves and with the limited time the boat will be in the water the adjustments will be minimal. Besides it will grab RPMs alot faster than a Hyd-Lifter motor.

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 2:35am
thats a stock 351, 6000-rpms not for long, Boom!!

-------------

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 3:05am
have you been building motors for long?...Because if you know what you are doing....6000 rpm is not a death certificate.....like I posted earlier I built a 383 that would spin to 8 grand if need be....and its still going strong with many trips to the strip

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 3:35am
racintj, did not chine in on this issue as i was not going to be the one to piss on his parade.
The cam and induction system will work great for a 1/4 mile car running 4.56 gears, for a short time .But soon MR. Squeeky will come to call,bottom end failure.
I see lots of issues,rotation I am not sure of,cam too muh bump,carb too large, incorrect rotating assy.for said RPM's,and largly understanding how a boat engine works VS car motor immense. But the proof will be in the pudding.
If he can prop it afterward that alone will be a story for this site.
If my prop math is correct;
     If the motor will pull a 13x14 /6000rpm's =68mph
that will be a fast C/C....good luck..boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: p/allen
Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 3:58am
Doc He will never get 68mph out of a nautique. He will have to prop it down if he wants 6000 rpm . He may need a 13 x 13 or maybe even a 13x 12 1/2 . Is that the acme 541? He will have one hell of a hole shot .

-------------
Pat
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/72ccfan/100_5977-1.jpg - My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 5:44am
You all are proving to be awesome arguees. I love it. I guess I must have been born yesterday because with my...."Immense" lack of knowledge on how an engine works I must be making up stuff when I say that an internal combustion engine does the same thing as another one....hmm...what an amazing discovery!!! we reallized that a carb supplies fuel and air...plugs ignite it...and the pistons move....WOW....Ok so the prop post knowledgeable, yes. But come on doc gimme somethin to work with your proving to be an easy target   

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 11:05am
Eric

I don't agree with you on your post implying a gear to gear timing assembly will not hold up to high rpms. Please correct me if you ment something else. But every engine builder I know, goes gear to gear on timing when you really want to spin a motor at high rpms. Plus the rotating assembly should be balanced also.

P/allen
I agree 68mph he wont see, the 351 just not capable of pruducing enough torque to spin a prop at 6k with out backing off some of the bite.

Which is why I have this question why spin the motor any faster then you need to if there is not going to be a gain of some sort whether it be out of the hole or top end speed?

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 11:10am
Boat doc wrote
Some the parts you have bought will work.The rear seal is specific to rotation,as is piston rotation.The cam is a LH, or convetional,and will not work with a RH or reverse rotation dist.

Boat doc why do you say pistons are specific to direction of rotation? I am asking a question, I am not saying your wrong. I am not new to engine building just new to marine engine building.

-------------

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 11:56am
Ive heard that for some reason on the RH rotation that the pistons need to be installed backwards with the notch that is in the piston pointing towards the back . Look at thepistons again and check it out .

I dont know why . Its just what Ive heard .

I just noticed in your 5th pic that the notches are going to the front .

-------------
Pat
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 1:29pm

WOW....Ok so the prop post knowledgeable, yes. But come on doc gimme somethin to work with your proving to be an easy target   

Yes I may be an easy target for the sharpshooter you are.Just fire away,I know very little about motors and boats.I just post on this site because of my illness.I get caught ,and the real me comes to light for all to see.
As i write this I am in solitary lock-down.It gives me a way to pass the time till my next parole hearing.
Sorry to have suggested that you were less than knowledgeable about building a 6 grand tow boat motor.Sometimes the MEDS,heavy doses by the way,don't seem to work.
Sorry to cut this short,but it is time for a shake down,A knife is missing from the kitchen, and i have not hidden it well...........boat dr    

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 3:40pm
Wow.....I love this place.

Where is 79 when you need him?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 4:11pm
Marine, don't take this the wrong way, keep your head high and take the punishment. I think the majority of us have had to suffer thru it. I know I did. Really, you need to take into consideration the info given. I have built many motors that go in fast cars and race cars, but I still didn't understand many characteristics of these boats and motors. It will be pretty hard to turn that motor to 6000, especially with the stock bottom end. And if you do turn it, it will be about 1000 wasted rpms. As doc stated, the efficiency of these boats and props drastically reduce past the 5000 rpm range. I also doubt very seriously that you will have a VE of 100%. You may prove us all wrong and make a 70 mph ski boat, then we will all eat crow. We all know that torque and HP always equal at 5250 rpm, so build a motor that has 300 ft/lbs of torque buy 2000 and keeps increasings to 5000, have HP and torque meet at 5250 with 400/400 tq/HP...that my friend would be a happy boat.

-------------

Lakeland, FL

Posted By: nautiquefanatic
Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 4:17pm
MarineSRT8 / Nate,

Before you get too carried away with the motor work, please go inspect the prop on your boat. You have a reverse rotation, RH motor in the boat. This was STANDARD in the 80 SN. By reverse rotation, we mean OPPOSITE of a car. Not wanting to add to the argument, but go look at your prop, it will tell the tale!

I should know, I used to own the boat you are working on, I sold it to the man you bought it from.....and I have plenty of photos of it, one showing the prop and the fact that it spins RIGHT to propel the boat forward. As stated earlier, this will make a difference in the parts you have purchased.

pc       

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3448" rel="nofollow - 1973 Ski Nautique

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=830" rel="nofollow - 1979 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 4:59pm
SRT8; As in a post before, show us a pic of the distr. shaft or the prop.Or better yet, give us a close up of the pump housing, this will tell you all you need to know.
You are smarter than the rest of us ,this I understand, but show us some pics.
Better yet,see if the cam shaft you bought will mesh with the distr. drive gear............boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Better yet,see if the cam shaft you bought will mesh with the distr. drive gear............boat dr

M8, Pleeease read and heed. When a body has put everything else together with patience and care, and then he goes to drop the distributer in...?!!? At that particular moment in the space-time continuum, LH and RH become VERY clear! LOL

Guess how I know! ...and I'll tell that story later   

-------------

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 6:55pm
First of all doc you are hilarious. And all of you guys are awsome!! You have all given me info that I would have not recieved anywhere else. Yes I do know the boat was a RH at birth but I am going with the 1.23:1 tranny and spinning her the other way. I figured that tranny would give me a little more room to stretch her legs. My last post of yesterday was not to downplay anyones konwlegde. I do understand an engine spinning a prop and and engine spinning a rear end and tires react very differently in many situations. Keep coming with the info and posts though its all keeping me motivated to stay on top of the project.....and by the ay Doc, I laughed out loud by myself at your post.....pretty funny

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 7:26pm
Glad to know you are on top of it. I will tell you though, it seems you are going a long way and spending plenty to NOT rebuild the bottom end. A fresh set of slugs (hypers that MM has for sale), ARP rod bolts, polish crank, and hone the block wouldn't be more than a few hundy. Then you could balance the crank, rods, and pistons as well.

-------------

Lakeland, FL

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 10:06pm
I apologize for leading you all astray. I mentioned earlier in the thread that the block pistons crank and a few others are currently at the machine shop.I did however forget to mention that the crank is being polished and balanced, new bolts, bearings etc. are in the makings of this motor.

And with that heres a few for to keep everyone updated on her progress.

Hey look factory interior hiding under there!!

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 10:25pm
I saw that CCF links Barts Watersports....reminds me of home. The lake I go to is in the town where Barts is based.

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 11:47pm
Glad to see that you have it pointed between the markers!

Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy, but it also looks well on the way...and pardon me if I spoke out of turn.

Can't wait to see the end result...especially because you're doing it in honor of your mom. Ms. Buffalo and I are guessing she'll approve.

-------------

Date Posted: September-02-2007 at 11:50pm
And how many quarters?!!?   LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 12:23am
hey thanks BFN Im sure she'll like it too. Yes, I am well on the way but right now the light at the end of the tunnel is very very dim lol

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 1:57am

WOW....Ok so the prop post knowledgeable, yes. But come on doc gimme somethin to work with your proving to be an easy target   

Yes I may be an easy target for the sharpshooter you are.Just fire away,I know very little about motors and boats.I just post on this site because of my illness.I get caught ,and the real me comes to light for all to see.
As i write this I am in solitary lock-down.It gives me a way to pass the time till my next parole hearing.
Sorry to have suggested that you were less than knowledgeable about building a 6 grand tow boat motor.Sometimes the MEDS,heavy doses by the way,don't seem to work.
Sorry to cut this short,but it is time for a shake down,A knife is missing from the kitchen, and i have not hidden it well...........boat dr    

And here all this time I was thinking that the Doc had slept in a Holliday Inn last night ... LOL!!

-------------
Pat
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.

Posted By: scott8370
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 12:34am
Wow!! You got a project. Keep the pictures coming. With it stripped down to the bare hull, you won't have many surprises.

-------------
Scott

Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 1:06am
Marine, I just thought of something that hasn't been mentioned in this post, and I don't know if you are familiar with. Make sure you tell the machine shop that you need piston to cylinder wall clearance to be double of a street motor. There are threads on here that talk about this, and many bad experiences of motors that were built by reputable street builders. Motor always under load (pistons heat and expand), block constantly cooled by lake water (stays cool, less expansion) = more clearance needed. Good luck, just thought I would try to help.

-------------

Lakeland, FL

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 1:57am
Hey, Scott, Good to hear from you. I was just thinking of you the other day. Maybe you've been posting and I've missed them. But I was thinking just because you had to ease up on the fiberglass and paint work, that I hoped you werent going away. I still think that torino you did is one of the finest boats on the site, although I am partial to torinos. Do you keep in touch with the new owner. He lovin it?

-------------

Posted By: The Dude
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 2:33am
Marine, Wawasee? Dewart? Syracuse?

-------------
Mullet Free since 93
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=717&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 95 Sport

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 2:43am
WEll little over your head but we'll see. Way to much cam, you over look several key issues as well. I don't believe the tranny you are going with is the best choice for the power you are trying to throw at it.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 2:57am
I just hope that thing isn't coming to Green Lake next summer. Looks like 400 HP to me.

But Nathan, if I could I'd like to throw out several issues for more discussion if it's not too late: The 1.23 trans and stretching her legs I feel are not hand in hand. The 123 will allow her to squat, grunt and sprint a short distance quickly with lots of authority, while a 1:1 with a smaller dia/higher pitch prop will typically make the most of a higher rpm engine, i.e., most speed in a lighter boat. If your cam is the only direction-specific part you've bought, then RR is still your best direction in this hull. At least CC thought so, and I know you've probably heard or been told that it will list to starboard with a LH engine. It will.

As for RPM, it'll turn what it can with a 13x13 or 13x14 depending on prop design/brand. By that I mean you won't prop it with the intentions of making it get to 6K, but more so prop it as you would with a typical 350-351 ci engine. Then let the cam, heads, and other mods take it from there, and see just what it will turn, 6K or whatever with a max of around a 13x14 prop. THEN step up the prop (more pitch) and see if you can lower r's and gain speed, and thus find out what your combo's sweet spot is for making the most speed. Even though this pkg would want to turn 6500-7000 thru the gears in a car to get the max in terms of 1/4 mile acceleration, in a boat for max top speed the ideal rpm is typically somewhat reduced down towards that HP/torque intersection racintj mentioned. In the meantime thanks for volunteering your efforts and funds as our newest guinee pig. It'll be fun for all of us...............until next year's reunion.     

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 3:01am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

Marine, Wawasee? Dewart? Syracuse?

none of those lakes are in North Webster, and I have never heard of a Marine lake anywhere in IN.

so the right answers would be webster or backwater lakes as they are the only ones in town, the barbie chain is south, tippy is south east, dewart is further east than tippy, and wawasee and syracuse are in another town.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 3:44am
Thank all of you for all of the knowledge, however blunt some of the comments may be keep them coming. I will make sure to keep all of them in mind throughout my entire project.

And I guess if we are getting technical its Lake Tippy. close enough!!!

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 4:41am
SRT8...I like the boat, and what your getting into, its going to be fun and very rewarding. That Intake looks like a proformer, max RPM is around 5500, and I dont think that gear drive is the right set up for a marine motor, not only is it going to be very noisy but it will also create harmonics which is not a good thing for a boat! but with all that being said if you can get the HP up to about 400hp you should have a 60mph boat.. and then you will able keep up with me...keep the pics coming!

-------------

Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 5:16am
lol thanks for the support Marx!!! I hope to get a few more MPH but I guess only time will tell!!!

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 2:12pm
Mark, just as Lisa thought she originally saw a Performer in you and in reality was looking at an air gap, so have you. Based off Marine's part no, he's got an AirGap Performer RPM which works right on up to 6500, so I'd say he's good.

Marine, I hope my comments don't come across as overly blunt. Sarcastic sometimes, but hopefully never demeaning. As for speed in that vintage hull, on average 300hp is typically good for a little better than 50, 350hp will probably net you 55-57, and I'd bet 400 will get you that 60 and maybe a few more, but that's just my good educated guess, as I'm accustomed to running a smaller hull where 300-325'll get you 53-56. Still working on the 60 mph goal.   

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 3:59pm
400 is definately my goal but once again only time will tell and I am planning on taking leave next summer to attend the reunion so you will all get to see it, ride in it, and drive it!!!

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 4:36pm
racintj, thanks for the info on the clearances just called my machine shop today and he has done marine applications before and he is taking care of it right now

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 5:25pm
And don't for get about upgrading the dash as the stock tach only goes to 6k, but the exhaust sounds pretty cool spinning the motor that fast.

MY .02 give Eric a call and see what he suggest on the tranny set-up.

-------------

Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 7:43pm
Oh Ive got the dash well in hand with a full set of Auto Meter Ultra-Lite Silver on Silver Marine series gauges

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 11:21pm
That many rpms on that length of hull should make it porpoise.

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

That many rpms on that length of hull should make it porpoise.

Tim, I wasn't sure if you were saying that's good or bad, but for the sake of speed with this boat, hopefully it does porpoise, or at least have the tendancy to bounce and keep the bow high. A boat that keeps the nose high and tends to porpoise is a fast hull and can be corrected to minimize bounce, but a hull that buries the nose is limited and a handful. Depending on the amount of hook in the hull, esp in boats like TimD's and my first gen Mustang hulls, the faster they go the more they plant the bow and can get uncomfortable/unpredictable at high speeds for which they weren't designed to go. I've addressed the hook slightly on my 69 Mustang which is the only reason it would run slightly faster than BoatDr's boat which has more HP. Oh, and he had those trim tabs turned down, I guess 'cause Karen was in the boat. I'd bounce Laurie onto the bank for a half mph.     

-------------
ReidP

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: September-05-2007 at 12:30am
Reid, is there a term for planting the bow?

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: September-05-2007 at 12:36am
Reid, tho i have not had the time to devote to the all out speed, I to am slowly tweeking.
The 27A rudder was a major plus ,no more pull or drift at the 50 mark. Cutting the prop shaft was a plus also.
The rudder port mod. was a little less drag too.Have not GPS'd her since the latest mods but she seems stronger and much more controlable.
SRT8 don't wont nuttin' to do with a 60mph CC,mine is a handful at 53+ add 7 to that ,not...........boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: September-05-2007 at 1:06am

Reid, tho i have not had the time to devote to the all out speed, I to am slowly tweeking.
The 27A rudder was a major plus ,no more pull or drift at the 50 mark. Cutting the prop shaft was a plus also.
The rudder port mod. was a little less drag too.Have not GPS'd her since the latest mods but she seems stronger and much more controlable.
SRT8 don't wont nuttin' to do with a 60mph CC,mine is a handful at 53+ add 7 to that ,not...........boat dr

Billy, Srt8 's boat is a good bit longer and quite a bit heavier. 60 in your little rig would be hairy ride but if you could get the bigger nautique to run 60 it might be a thrill but I would think managable. I think 60 is a little bit of a stretch but it'll be fun for everyone to see the progression from what he's got now. Plenty of pics please.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: September-05-2007 at 5:32am
More pictures to come later on this week. I will get all of my new parts from DIM, I get my block back at the end of the week, and I get my motor mounts back sandblasted and ready to be painted...Will probably get the crank shaft and pistons back in this weekend and check all of my clearances. Pictures will follow!!!

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-05-2007 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Reid, is there a term for planting the bow?

I believe it's referred to as S.I.P., aka Shi* in Pants. No wait, that's when you hook the chine at high speed or upon quick decelleration and it either turns without you asking, OR refuses to turn when you crank the wheel. Both are scarey and traced also to rudder conditions.

As far as the planting the nose of the hull firmly, I don't know of a term as many normal people might look at this as a virtue. Only when stretching it out beside his buddy's oscillating hull and getting outrun does it become an issue. A quick (as I can make it) related story, my orange and white '73 Mustang has always run pretty strong (50-51)for a stock boat. Years ago I noticed that often it would get up to top speed for just a second, and then all of a sudden fall off about 1 mph and drop 100rpm. I chased what I thought was an engine problem for 2-3 yrs before I realized that it only did this once the slight bounce stopped, and that it never happened with several persons in the back seat. It's like you can actually feel the point or moment when the water sucks the hull back tightly to the water, significantly increasing the drag. Later hulls which hardly raise the bow while planning don't experience this.           

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: September-05-2007 at 11:38am

400 is definately my goal but once again only time will tell and I am planning on taking leave next summer to attend the reunion so you will all get to see it, ride in it, and drive it!!!

Marine, Solid plan. Reunion time just head on up to Charlotte and hook up with our caravan. This past year we left here along with MaddMarx and a total of 5 boats in our group. Next year however Blondie, we only pee when we're on "E".    

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: September-05-2007 at 6:18pm
COUNT ME IN!!!!!

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: September-05-2007 at 6:51pm
I was going to guess webster SRT since you said barts base. Im over on chapman. Id like to check out that bad ass motor after you get her done to see how it worked later on i plan on heads cam and intake for my 2001. Oh im also a mopar guy so we could own all the boats on the lake then take it to the streets.

Date Posted: September-05-2007 at 8:51pm
Oh thats a sure thing!!!...400hp on the water and 425hp and 420 Ft lbs on the street, Cant beat that! ! ! ! !

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-06-2007 at 1:18am
Marine, whenever you want to come South and run that SRT against an SUV with real muscle, just let me know.

-------------

Lakeland, FL

Date Posted: September-06-2007 at 4:49am
Real Muscle???...SUV???....come now, Im listening...........

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-06-2007 at 5:06am
Trailblazer SS, 2wd

-------------

Lakeland, FL

Date Posted: September-06-2007 at 5:09am
I messin' with ya. I don't have one, but am looking at a couple. Can't decide whether to buy stock and build myself, or buy one I'm looking at with a Tune and Maggie charger. Friend of mine (actually 2) has SRT8's. Nice truck and quick too.

-------------

Lakeland, FL

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: September-06-2007 at 4:23pm
Just get the srt-8 jeep man. There was one with an intake at our local track and I watched it run a 13.22

Date Posted: September-06-2007 at 5:00pm
The SS is attractive but looks a little on the cheap side for a "Super Sport"....I agree with phat the Jeep is a way better spend of your money. Im not exactly sure what the SS goes for but when I bought my 300C SRT the Jeep was going for about 4 G's less and I spent a hair less than 50,000

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-06-2007 at 5:30pm
I thought you had the Jeep. My bad, that's what I get for assuming. I agree it could look better, but I am a chevy nut. The LS2 is just an awesome powerplant that the sky is the limit. We better not get off on an auto tangent, we may get linched by the CC forum.

-------------

Lakeland, FL

Date Posted: September-06-2007 at 7:52pm
lol We'll have to start our own off-topic discussion....Heres a few more to get everyone through the rest of the week on....

Just got the motor mounts, tranny mounts, and the bell housing back from the machine shop....the magic of glass blasting!!!

Gonna go ahead and prime and paint the mounts this weekend.

-------------

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 12:33am
Originally posted by racintj racintj wrote:

I thought you had the Jeep. My bad, that's what I get for assuming. I agree it could look better, but I am a chevy nut. The LS2 is just an awesome powerplant that the sky is the limit. We better not get off on an auto tangent, we may get linched by the CC forum.

I'm probably gonna regret this later Racintj, but Josh, CCFan name Sabre002, our in house engine nut and who went to GL with us, has just completed his LS1-RX7 transplant to go along with his V8 MGBGT conversion. Several here have met Josh, so you guys will have to hook up, but do it on the LS1 forum, as real men CCFan members don't wear Bowties, and you WILL get linched. And Hollywood, Josh never even heard that you had a Camaro, and I thank God for that. There, I condoned a GM unity.            

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 12:47am
Reid...This ones for you!!

-------------

Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 1:06am
One picture over the line Mark.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 1:14am
sorry john...go take a look at the lesbians, it will make it all better!

-------------

Posted By: 69 Mustang
Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 1:15am
Reid,

I'm in MD and I want to join the caravan next year.

Also, since I spend some time on the road I have a setup where I don't need to stop - except when I am on 'E'. I will work on retrofitting something that will be "Blondie-friendly".

Mike

-------------
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937

Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 1:28am
MM; Just visited the lesbians thread (why?) so I remember why I moved south.

Mike; Was just on your Labor Day thread. Forgot to mention how much I liked that option that "came with the boat".

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by 69 Mustang 69 Mustang wrote:

Reid,

I'm in MD and I want to join the caravan next year.

Also, since I spend some time on the road I have a setup where I don't need to stop - except when I am on 'E'. I will work on retrofitting something that will be "Blondie-friendly".

Mike

Sounds great Mike. Meet us in Charleston, WV, or come on into town here for the pre-caravan party like MM and Blondie did. That's a lot of extra driving though. Maybe JMurph will hook up with you, since he's in your back yard. He flew out this year.

-------------
ReidP

Posted By: Sabre002
Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 3:56pm
Yea I'm just trying to get reid to let me put a Gen III/IV (LS1 based) GM motor in one of these boats!!!!!

-------------
So what winks and f**k's like a tiger?
www.facebook.com/sabre002

Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 4:01pm
There is a couple complete LS2 motors, wiring harness, computer, and all on ebay. That would be a nice powerplant for one of these boats. I'm just not sure where you would mount the six speed tranny...

-------------

Lakeland, FL

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Sabre002 Sabre002 wrote:

Yea I'm just trying to get reid to let me put a Gen III/IV (LS1 based) GM motor in one of these boats!!!!!

Josh, per our conversation at GL, is the PCM 6.0L ZR6 motor based on the LS1 or LS2?

-------------

Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 4:21pm
YES it is! Its a iron block GM 6.0L truck motor with PCM fuel injection. I take it the ZR6 motor is standard rotation correct?

GM has two versions of the 6.0 in a iron block LQ4 low compression and the LQ9 High compression. The LQ4 is cheaper and easyer to come by.

-------------

Date Posted: September-07-2007 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by racintj racintj wrote:

There is a couple complete LS2 motors, wiring harness, computer, and all on ebay. That would be a nice powerplant for one of these boats. I'm just not sure where you would mount the six speed tranny...

I just dont see spending the money on a LS2 at this point in time all the other LS1 motors can be had for less and make the same HP with just a cam. But yes I think a LSX anything would be really cool in a mustange haha.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window