NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

30 year old stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 year old stringers
    Posted: May-28-2008 at 10:23pm
Hi Peter

Some pictures of my old stringers,not too bad but all full of water.

Some of the new and my boat stands

Roger
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 9:12am
Rodger, Keep the pictures coming! Very interesting. Yes the old stringers don't look that bad but with them being wet, it wouldn't have taken very long for the rot to take over completely.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 9:24am
Yes Roger, very interesting. You chose to do the secondary stringers first...I didn't have that option, but I can think of a couple of reasons why it might be smart.

Way cool stands! Are they half-lap joints? Looks like you know which end of a saw is which.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 4:43pm
Hi Peter and BuffaloBFN
Thanks for the comments, shall post some more from home as I need to resize pictures,yes the stands are slot together 2 of each type make a stand, and the 3x2 has a adjustable foot to level the boat then 2 screws through the mdf to lock it all up, not hard to make on a saw or band saw,just that I am lucky I can use one of the CNC to do it.

Roger.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 5:19pm
CNC?!!? That's cheating!   
1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 5:32pm
BuffaloBFN
No not now, been in it too long, but still can knife and fork stuff out with the best of them.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 7:39pm
I was giving you a ration; if I had a CNC I'd use it. The way you say 'knife and fork it' makes me want to hang out around your shop long enough to learn something!
1988 BFN-sold

gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 8:34pm
amazing, keep them coming!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 8:56pm
Wow, those stringers didn't look bad at all. Mine came apart in little pieces similar to the bark you spread in the garden. BKH
Livin' the Dream

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 9:23pm
Hi Guys
All is fine BuffaloBFN, can always do with more hands in the shop,but think you have more important things to do,a fine new wife to keep happy.
I think you and Peter would like the shop its not all CNC still a lot of hand work.

Here are some more pictures and some wood we been playing with ( peter what type of wood?)
I must try to get the CNC to go straight.

Roger
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 9:40pm
Rodger, Well, the stringers are Douglas fir but I think you are really asking me about the contemporary chair. Looks like Ash but it doesn't have a open grain like Ash. Beech?? Very nice work. It is a chair isn't it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 10:09pm
I say Beech is a WAG (wild a$$ guess)

I'm gonna make a SWAG (scientific wild a$$ guess)

Cherry?

Whatever it is, it's beautiful work!!!
1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 10:14pm
Hi Peter
Yes you are right on your first thought Ash.
And its a seat.

I shall have to try harder to fox you.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 11:09am
BuffaloBFN
Cherry you are way off,back to school for you.
We used a lot of your cherry over here but now the cost is too high, now use more of your Walnut,Ash and others like Zebrano,Wenge now seem to be more popular.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 12:16pm
LOL

Chris has already pointed out that I need new glasses.

I have all but the ash in my shop...so that's looking like the excuse I'm gonna stick with!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

LOL

Chris has already pointed out that I need new glasses.

I have all but the ash in my shop...so that's looking like the excuse I'm gonna stick with!

Greg, That's poor excuse!! Remember that Chris told me I need new glasses too plus I don't have any Ash in my shop ether!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 1:52pm
Yea Pete...but I've never had any or used any! Plus, being a man of my word I'll have to stay with the designated excuse. LOL

Soon as I get this floor finished I'll put up a species or 2 that may stump you!
1988 BFN-sold

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Roger

Jesus Roger, how big was the person that sat on that thing???? You better use some stronger wood.     

ROFLOL.......

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Soon as I get this floor finished I'll put up a species or 2 that may stump you!

Give us a little time please, we're still trying to figure out what species some of the characters on here are!!

Roger, That's just a teaser on the furniture, you must have some more picts hanging around.    Tell us your story man, this place thrives for that kind of talent.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Give us a little time please, we're still trying to figure out what species some of the characters on here are!!

Howdy Alan! OK, so you took this to a new level; hopefully most of us are Homo Sapiens...and I suspect a few of us are in the subspecies Correctus Craftinia.

Sorry?!!? Couldn't resist and hope you are well!
1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2008 at 11:06pm
Hi Guys
81nautique my little story
Left school at 16 into a apprenticeship for 4 years, and had all the tricks played on me
at 21 self employed working as a site fixer in store fitting all over the country.
Married at 26 and divorced at 36.
Started the factory with my 2 younger brothers 15 years ago and now have a shop with some nice kit in it.
Most of are work is for store fitting in the UK,but have sent a lot around the world for UK retailers.
I found the boat as I thought I was not going to have a lot of work, but as soon as I had it lots of work came in job after job.
So all I am is a Joiner by trade and as my old dad told us to learn a trade so if you are out of work you know what work your out of.
Found the site when I had the boat and its just great, OK you get your chain pulled a bit its all good, but still lots of help to.
There are guys on here who can really make a V8 sing more Ford than Chevy I think.
Here are some pictures of Heathrow T5 terminal, one of the stores we did there and some odd stuff.

So guys what do you all do?
Oh and the tow for my boat one day a 56 F100
till then I have to use a ML 55
Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2008 at 11:45pm
Let me guess...the red in the first 3 pics is cherry?   

What kind of store is a Heathrow T5?
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 2:48am
Man there are some talented guys on here. Love it how you can type with an accent Roger.

I think "Heathrow" is an airport Greg.

How about Boat pics Roger?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 7:54am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I think "Heathrow" is an airport Greg.

Correct!
Heathrow is London's main airport, and T5 stands for the new terminal opened in march of this year. They had quite a few problems with that terminal in the beginning (Nothing to do with Roger's great work!), due to malfunctions in the new baggage transport system.

That's it for the history lesson of today
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic