Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What shaft packing to use 97 Super Sport.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What shaft packing to use 97 Super Sport.
    Posted: July-22-2008 at 11:41am
I will be removing the the trans to inspect and since I will have access to the shaft packing, I was going to replace. It was dripping pretty bad. No way of access without removing the rear seat back rest. I see diff materials for packing and 2 diff dripless shaft seals on Skidim. I am totally clueless. This is my first inboard. Please guide me oh great ones.

Signed
Totally Clueless
1997 Super Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 3:19pm
Dan, The newer Gortex "almost dripless" packing is really great stuff. It really is a major leap over the old flax type and so much that I now question the need for a fancy/expensive dripless seal system retrofit. The retrofit to a dripless also requires the removal of the prop shaft which can be a real challenge at times especially if you don't have a double taper prop shaft. Joel (M3fan) just went through the exercise of installing a dripless a couple months ago and I got the impression he wished he never started the project!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 6:22pm
Just wondering with the dripless seals that some are using ,what affect does it have on the shaft. I thought you needed it to drip to cool the shaft where the packing meets the shaft as well as lubricate it? what are your thoughts on it. I like the idea of the dripless packing, just wondering

Booty
82,2001 82,2001
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 6:26pm
Thank you 8122pbrainard. I will go with the Gortex.
Booty, I believe there is a water line attached to the seal for cooling.
Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 6:39pm
OK so how often is the Goretx almost dripless packing supposed to drip? I set the flax packing to drip every 3-5 seconds of course there is a descussion over how often but what about the dripless? how often?
Booty
82,2001 82,2001
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 6:40pm
I assume the packing size is 3/16".
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 7:38pm
[QUOTE=Booty] OK so how often is the Goretx almost dripless packing supposed to drip? QUOTE]

It took me a few tries to get it right but mine drips maybe 1 per minute. I went from too much leakage to too tight (packing box would heat up) in about 1 hex flat of adjustment. Now it is great, get about 8 ounces of water all day, box stays cool.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic