Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM leaded fuel suggested?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
76 Ski Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 Ski Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM leaded fuel suggested?
    Posted: July-29-2008 at 12:47am
I am looking at a pcm 302 from 1975 that says it is recommended to run leaded fuel only. what can i do the guy i am considering buying it off said that it is fine to run unleaded and it only has to do with the valve seats. i am ignorant on the subject so any and all advice is welcome. thanks!
B.O.A.T- bust out another thousand
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 7:38am
Caleb, The seller is correct. There isn't anything that will provide the lubricity that the old lead did. Run it and when the time comes to do a top end job put in the hardened goodies for the unleaded.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 12:41pm
yep, My 78's was supposed to have been changed to seats for use with unleaded. I don't think they were, and it ran fine for years that way.

Now I have hardened ones since I went with the gt40p heads...
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by 76 Ski Tique 76 Ski Tique wrote:

I am looking at a pcm 302 from 1975 that says it is recommended to run leaded fuel only. what can i do the guy i am considering buying it off said that it is fine to run unleaded and it only has to do with the valve seats. i am ignorant on the subject so any and all advice is welcome. thanks!

You need to add lead substitute to your fuel. You can buy it at Walmart. I have a '74 Ski Nautique, and woulnt dare run it w/o leaded fuel.
74SkiNautique
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:43pm
maybe a dom question but what does the unleaded fuel do to the engine that the recomend leaded??
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

You need to add lead substitute to your fuel. You can buy it at Walmart. I have a '74 Ski Nautique, and woulnt dare run it w/o leaded fuel.

WROMG BIG waiste of money doing that on top of it not being very ECO friendly to the water.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

Chris,
Billy Mays has even got it priced better than Walmart.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
76 Ski Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 Ski Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 6:54pm
thanks guys! you are all a huge help! i really appreciate it. hopefully it wont be long now.
B.O.A.T- bust out another thousand
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2008 at 4:59pm
I just called Billy Mays, and he said he can't beat Wal-Marts price...and hung up on me!

P.S.-It looks like he's gaining weight, I think I am a little worried about him.
74SkiNautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic