NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transducer location ???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
xjglen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transducer location ???
    Posted: December-12-2008 at 1:34am
I bought a 92 196 last summer, and was never happy with the performance of the depth sounder. During my time cleaning in the last few weeks I took a closer look at the transducer and discovered that it was mounted using silicone, and it looked as though there were voids. I guess the first question is should it be mounted with silicone?? I've always understood it should be mounted with (bubble free) epoxy. Second-where should it be mounted? Has anybody heard of placing the transducer in a bag full of water and trying it in different locations to find a good position?
93 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 9:22am
I've heard of guy's doing that with great results. I'd use epoxy to bond the transducer to the hull and be sure to slightly move it around to remove any and all air bubbles and to ensure the epoxy spreads evenly over the surface area. I placed mine under the oil pan just aft of the drain plug.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 11:21am
another good spot is just in front and to the side of the raw water pumps thru-hull pick towards the rear of the motor.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

another good spot is just in front and to the side of the raw water pumps thru-hull pick towards the rear of the motor.

Chris is right. I have been reading about this and Keith has a review on Humming Bird depth finder and that is the location he describes where to put the transponder.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic