Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New fuel tank

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New fuel tank
    Posted: December-26-2008 at 7:46pm
It has been a while but the southwind is almost finished!!:) Will post pics soon. My question is where is the best place to buy a new fuel tank?? My tank was rusty (inside and out)! I have been looking at the poly tanks on overtons site but are there any drawbacks to the poly? I went to the boat junkyard here in indy and the aluminum tanks that they had were v-bottom. My tank was a 30gallon and the dimensions are as follows 42"long x 14" wide X 12" tall. Any links and suggestions appreciated!
kevinindy
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2008 at 11:22am
Im starting to be a big fan of the poly, it seems the aluminum tanks always crack or leak. I just pulled one out of a boat last week and all the aluminum angles that were welded to it were broken off. I think the aluminums will condensate more....thats me though, just passing info. never had a problem with the poly's
"the things you own will start to own you"
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2008 at 11:29am
Good deal I went ahead and ordered a poly from overtons.They had the right size and 200 dollars didnt seem like a bad price with shipping included and a borge warner sending unit. How were these tanks fastened down to the shelf in the back from the factory?
kevinindy
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2008 at 11:42am
you may need to fabricate straps out of Stainless with a rubber cushion or use the southern boys method of bunji cords....no bunjis
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2008 at 12:22pm
There should be a kit you can buy from the manufacturer. Some kits won't work though. I bought a Tempo which was the perfect replacement for the old 18 gallon tanks. Their kit is too tight in the rear, so I will have to improvise.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic