NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

question rear main 80 sn

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: question rear main 80 sn
    Posted: February-17-2014 at 4:50pm
Need some info

I have a friends who just received a 1980 sn as part of a boat sale.
Nice looking except they put a tower on it
It has a commander rh351w and seems to be leaking some oil through the rear of the engine, probably the main seal or a tranny seal.
anyway if it happens to be the rear main? for that period engine is the 2 piece seal?
and where can it be ordered?
thanks

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2014 at 4:56pm
Should be a 2 piece seal. At this time (as far as I know) Felpro still has the part number but it is no longer active or in production for the reverse rotation engines. A customer of mine (can't recall the name) found them as old stock at a business (also can't recall the name). So basically I just told you I am useless. Hopefully someone else will have some info. If not I can try to hit up Fel-pro again.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2014 at 5:08pm
is this the one?
rear main
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2014 at 5:37pm
I do not believe there is anything special about the 2-piece seal... it should be bi-directional. The wick lines for oil control are in the crank (unlike the newer 1-piece).
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2014 at 5:40pm
so basically any 2 piece seal should work on a pre 83 351w ford ?
I see them listed 2 pc lh or rh..wonder the difference between each...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2014 at 5:56pm
the difference is with rh on the lable they know you think it's special for marine use and charge accordingly
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2014 at 6:58pm
Ha!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2014 at 7:06pm
Yep on a two piece seal if you can see any difference between the two besides the part number you have better eyes than me, but don’t take 83 as a hard and fast cut off year.. its either one piece or two the year is unimportant and unconfirmed as an indication of which (although its around 83 anyway. )
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2014 at 11:52pm
A two piece seal has no wick lines, they're on the crank. I bought a "marine" two piece from skidim in '98 and it was the same Ford part from NAPA that cost $14, just a different package.
Tim D
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 12:03pm
Rock and roll. Wonder why Fel-pro lists a number anyhow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic