NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mechanical vs vacum

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mechanical vs vacum
    Posted: February-19-2014 at 5:20pm
Do I want vacum or mechanical secondaries
Lakedog55
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 6:45pm
Mike,
For your application, I think I would stick with vacuum secondaries. Your engine isn't much different then what several have done to theirs and they're all running vacuums.
I do know that Plan B in Tampa put a mech. 650 QF on his bone stock 351 and he said it ran good last summer. I reached out to him a month ago to see how it was running after putting some hours on it but I never heard anything back.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 6:56pm
Like Eddie said, vacuum would be the safe bet- its a proven performer.

That said, I bet the mechanical would perform fine, maybe noticeably better. Perhaps at the expense of some economy.

Joe runs a 650 mech secondary on his 408... and I'm planning to go from the 750 vac to a 750 mechanical on our BFN. I dont care if I burn more gas, Im just tired of fighting the with the secondaries coming in and out at footing speeds.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 7:02pm
That's the way I went too another vote mechanical.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 7:04pm
Had to wait for the wife to fall asleep before ordering parts. Got it today quick fuel 600 mechanical. I burn about 10 to 15 gallons a day. Got a 26 gallon tank so should not be a problem.
Not much time until the river run. Will see how it does.
mike
Lakedog55
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by lakedog55 lakedog55 wrote:

Had to wait for the wife to fall asleep before ordering parts.
mike

Make sure you have the parts shipped to work or a friend! That's the trick I use!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 9:40pm
Not absolutely sure but I think these carbs can be set up either way vacuum or mechanical. Sure looks like a vacuum set up to me
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 11:50pm
hi,
got a little conflict

also sent the bars to adjust mechanical but it is set up for vacum
Lakedog55
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 10:50am
Hey Mike,
How about a pic of the whole carb. You'll still have an accelerator pump on a mechanical carb. In fact, a mechanical should have two accelerator pumps but you won't have the vacuum canister that houses the vacuum spring.

I was under the impression that the M600 QF was vacuum secondaries and is the newest of the QF marine series. The original M650 and higher QF carbs are mechanical only. I could certainly be wrong though. Maybe QF now offers a mechanical 600. It would certainly appear that way based on the label.
I'm not aware of any carb that can be setup either vacuum or mechanical. You buy them that way. One can't be converted to the other.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 10:56am
Eddie, I have been eyeing the QF M600 for a while. I believe it only comes in a Vac set up. You can tell by the secondary bell crank in the picture that is a Vac carb. It uses that rod to assist closing the secondaries if the carb is slapped shut suddenly.

This QF carbs sure look awesome. We are going to be experimenting with one on Mark's footer this spring.

If my boat made more power than it does it would be a pain at foot speed. Right about 39-41 with a footer in tow the secondaries will open up. It is running out of steam pretty good with a footer behind it so it doesn't take off like a rocket or anything but you can feel it slightly and hear it. If it made 400 hp I am sure I would go by the way of mechanical secondaries.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I believe it only comes in a Vac set up. You can tell by the secondary bell crank in the picture that is a Vac carb.

I agree Zach. The only info I can find on the M600 is vacuum secondary only, however, the label clearly states mechanical M600.
So, one of two things going on here:
1) QF has come out with a mechanical secondary 600 that is so new they haven't updated anything on their website or:
2) It's mislabeled.

I thought that Mike's pic was highlighting the accelerator pump which doesn't tell me anything about the secondary setup. I didn't even think about verifying the linkage differences but you're right, definitely a vacuum secondary.

Eddie
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 1:33pm
Curious, in general with these Quick Fuel carbs (both vac and mech), do you have to plump new fuel line, or can you use adapters to set it up just like the Holley?
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 1:48pm
Spoke with them today and the 600 comes in a vacum. I guess they have other 600s that are mechanical but not in marine. Yes to the re plumbing. I was never a fan of the tight bend on the metal line anyway.
Mike
Lakedog55
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 2:21pm
I found a nice soft braided line with metal fittings on either end that works well when switching to the M 600 Series.

Eddie, I am really interested in these carbs because of all the updated features the offer over a Holley and holy crap are they cheaper than Marine Holleys.

I am guessing they just had a hung over guy typing labels up that day haha.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 2:24pm

That's the line.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 2:34pm
Woah, where did you get that line Zacky boy? That appears to be the one that SkiDIM used to sell (which we have on the BFN), but they no longer list it. Whats the price on it?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 2:55pm
$78.34 - 10% for CCF dudes. Only one of my outside bulk style suppliers can still get it. It's a Sierra that is USCGA.

We're getting ready to stuff the M600 on Mark's footer.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Joe runs a 650 mech secondary on his 408... and I'm planning to go from the 750 vac to a 750 mechanical on our BFN. I dont care if I burn more gas, Im just tired of fighting the with the secondaries coming in and out at footing speeds.

I'm leaning more toward your thinking Tim. I've been reading where running a dual plane intake can benefit from a bit bigger carb due to the split plenum in the intake. Not so much in stock applications where you just aren't spinning it that high but middle to upper RPM can certainly benefit in Hi-Po or BB applications. Again, all the data represented is based on auto/truck applications and not marine. The data results also specifically state a larger vacuum carb will often perform better. Manual secondary carbs will more often than not lose performance.
You and Joe have certainly proven that theory wrong but that's also on a couple of pretty hot motors. I'm still interested in trying a 750 vac and manual sec. on my engine but I need to find one to borrow first. I'm certainly not going to buy two or three carbs to see which one works better.

As for the secondaries coming in at footing speed. My 650 carb has never given me any problems in that regard. The secondaries come in so smooth you never feel them at all and you can hold any speed called without a problem. I've always thought that it was because of it being a 650 vs. the standard 600 in that CID range but if that's the case, I would think a 650 on a stock 350/351 would be more the norm then. I've also got the lightest spring Holley makes in the secondaries. Maybe Indmar did some tuning of it or I just got a good one. Who knows.
I also know that I had to tune John's 600 a bit because we were running into exactly that same scenario. I ended up putting the heaviest secondary spring Holley makes in his. We lost a couple MPH at WOT and it takes a bit longer to get there but the skiability between 40 and 44MPH is rock solid now.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 5:16pm
Eddie, got a link to any articles? Sounds interesting if the consensus says that a larger vac carb will outperform a smaller mech secondary one. Not being up on the theory, I wonder if it might be apples to oranges due to the different loading of marine vs auto, or the different ways we measure performance.

Joe and I aren't running very large carbs in the grand scheme I things... I hear of guys running 750's on 302's and 350's in the car world. Joe has said his 650 BG outperformed the 750 BG on his 408 (which has a single plane btw). That same 750 BG was really happy on our BFN for the 5 min it was installed. Immediate difference in throttle response and picked up 1.5mph up top. I need to get a few issues sorted to be able to run it some more.

The 750 vac Holley on it now does fine, just feels a bit doggy in the low to midrange by comparison and I haven't figured out how to keep the secondaries from interfering with our skiing. I have a different vac housing on it now (restricted brass input fitting) and the "normal" (no color) spring. Under light load (no skier) it can hold any speed, whereas the lightest spring and old housing made it an on/off switch. Under load (skier), it's much harder to control. If I hadn't loved that 750 BG so much I'd still be fiddling with it, but at this point, in looking forward to running the BG full time.

Both are on the shelf here and I won't need them til April...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 6:20pm
It is hard to pull out all the variables in terms of comparing performance of different carbs and then figure out which is the “best”. All cfm numbers are not only rounded and vary between manufacturers but also represent the flow through the carb at a specific pressure drop, one that is unlikely to match your engine exactly. Bigger duration cams, higher flowing heads, etc etc are going to influence your plenum pressure at wot and that is what drives how much air flows through what carb.

Because I was putting a relatively aggressive intake manifold/heads/cam on my 408 I went with what I considered a smallish 650cfm carb and an MSD ignition because I was worried about idle/off idle performance and throttle response. It worked out pretty well the engine has no throttle response issues and the idle speed is determined by damper rattle limitations.   I bought the 750 BG after they came out with one with annular boosters cause I thought I could they would allow me to go a little bigger and not lose any day to day functionality. I put it on and my boat went 2 mph slower, pulled it off and put it on the self for future 383 usage.

but as seen here even between two carbs of the same size from the same manufacturer even the type of booster can have an effect.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 6:48pm
Tim,
I don't have a link. It was in a HP engine book that I just picked up a couple months ago. The author is David Vizard and he has authored several books about building HP engines (SB and BB). I have at least three or four of them. I like his concepts as he backs them up with true dyno numbers which is cool. Remember though this is auto/truck world vs. marine. Apples and Oranges, so we have to make some educated (or uneducated) guesses.

I may have confused you a bit about the larger vac. vs. smaller mech. carb. You need to consider the type intake being used.

Dual plane intakes can usually get better performance with a bit larger vac. sec. carb than what would be required by the standard CFM/RPM/CID formula. Such as the 750 on a 302/350/351 engine as you pointed out. The larger primaries will give extra airflow needed to counteract the restrictive turns and bends of the plenum. The vac. sec. still only allow what the engine needs at the upper RPM's. He specifically pointed out that BBC's are notoriously under-carbed in these situations. He routinely runs 950+ CFM carbs on his BBC builds. Keep in mind though, that going excessively high on the CFM scale can also suck and super tuning the carb may be needed which I won't go into. He did get into it and there are a lot of things you can do (boosters, squirters, spacers, acc. pump cams, jets, air bleeds, etc.).
He said that he normally does not recommend man. sec. carbs in these applications. They have too much low speed airflow that loses all it's velocity in the plenum which is critical when you punch the throttle. Not saying they wouldn't work, but you probably wouldn't need the bigger CFM carb in that instance. Here again, you can make significant changes to the performance if you know how to tune a carb (like using annular boosters in this particular case).

Single plane manifolds are completely different. You DO use the standard CFM/RPM/CID formula and mechanical secondaries will generally run much better than vac. sec. carbs. Exactly as Joe has proven. 650 mech. sec. runs awesome and 750 mech. sec. sucked. They can, however, be somewhat finicky off-idle.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 7:41pm
I have an early BG "625" on the car(later named a 650). It is mechanical with large accelerator pump CCs. The engine is relatively mundane other than the duration and over lap on the cam. Stock style dual plane. The throttle response when it is in the power band is instantaneous and neck snapping. I could see a Mech secondary carb hurting the off idle and lower rpm performance on a car that doesn't have the correct gear set and torque converter selection to match power production.

It has a crappy ass converter in it currently that Summit sent me wrong twice so I gave up and just ran it for now. It stahls at about 1200 rpms and the engine needs 3200ish to be happy. The thing is a POOCH before it hits about 3200 rpms at which point it bakes the tires. So I can see how the Mechanical set up would hurt something in street trim with lazy gears and a tight converter.

Cars to boats from what I see is somewhat apples to oranges. Most carb companies ask you maximum rpm and CID to determine CFM. If you notice even the guys making big power aren't turning the engines what you would on a drag strip. An engine as healthy as Joe's or Tim's would be cranking close to 7000 rpms going through the traps at the track. My car falls on its face at about 5800 rpms but it runs through the traps at 6100-6200 pending how good the run was.

Tim and Joe's engines are running where they produce peak power generally but they don't fall off and have plenty of rpm band left if they were engines used in a drag application. That being said they require less CFM to produce the power at said rpm and don't need that extra CFM to push through the track at the big end at a much higher RPM than they need to run to produce peak power.

Eddie, he is right with all of the booster etc. talk. All of that stuff is way above any of us guys here carb tuning experience (I assume) you get into booster/secondary air bleeds/primary bleeds/ blah blah. You can seriously mess up a carb which is why I went by way of the speed demon serious vs the race demon series.

I think that you see better off idle performance in say Joe's application because in a boat you don't have the ability to pull the engine up in rpms on a foot break before you stuff it wide open. I am sure a mechanical secondary carb on my car from a standing start with no brake would perform worlds better than a mechanical carb on initial throttle hit until the engine reached the rpm it was happy to take advantage of all that cfm at.

I am just trying to highlight in my mind the differences in a car carb set up vs a boat set up.

When I start talking boat performance with Tim and such I try to completely block out all of my car experience because things like scavenging exhaust systems drastically change proper camshaft selection and such marine vs auto.

Eddie, speaking of only giving the engine what it wants, a friend of mine had a 305 in a Baja sidewinder. We went with a more radical camshaft than I recommended and a set of vortec heads with a mech 600 cfm carb. The carb would never open the secondary's more than 3/4s way. Regardless the boat ran like a raped ape. If we ran with box off and I cranked the secondaries open manually it would lean pop on the big end. If we didn't mess with it was perfect.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 11:41pm
Phatsack
you got the fuel line from sierra? Any chance on a part number? And is it long enough for a aftermarket intake?
mike
Lakedog55
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2014 at 11:46am
We plan on using it on a big block so I am sure it would cover the extra intake on a small block. Tim uses it on his BBC with a higher intake than stock.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2014 at 12:28pm
Joe and Zach make great points.

Lots of things affect airflow through the entire engine. The key is figuring out where the bottleneck is (carb, intake, heads or exhaust) and opening up that bottleneck to make all the parts and pieces work in perfect harmony (wasn't there a song like that once?).

Unfortunately, we don't have the expertise available to us like the street guys or the go-fast marine guys do. They aren't limited to "will it fit under an engine cover" while still providing skiability, let alone the hull design limitations.

One thing is for sure, we (meaning those on this site) have already taken a classic performance ski boat to a whole new dimension and we still haven't scratched the surface. We're really pioneering what works in our boats and we're doing a hell of a job!!!
New ski boat manufacturers are having to up the ante with the 450's and 550's because new owners get p****d off when a 20 or 30 year old boat blows past them like they're standing still and sounding way cooler doing it!!!! Purely my own personal humble opinion FWIW.

By the way, Tim, I would love to take those carbs off your hands to "give 'em go" as Roger would say until April.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2014 at 1:10pm
I agree on the sounding cooler thing Eddie. One thing that bugs me is the new customers operate on the quieter the better. I if you talk to older guys most of the allure of an inboard ski boat in the 60s-70s was the sound of the American V8 talking through dual exhausts. Now days everyone could care less about the engine as long as it does the job.

Like Eddie mentioned, it's all in the components of the set up working in harmony together. Engines will amaze you and produce way more power/performance than you expect if you make sure every part is perfect for each other in the build.

It always bugged me my friend wanted to over cam that 305. It would have been way happier with my cam selection. Ignition limited it to 5000 rpms but it would have been far more happy around 6200 ish with the cam that was in it.

The guys here are far and above anyone else in the inboard world. Skilled craftsmen and accomplished engine builders. The guys here in the performance aspect are pioneers of this stuff just like Eddie said.(Eddie's boat runs pretty good I have heard )

If I get a wild hair and do cam/heads/intake on the Ford I will throw my BG off the car on it for a shake down run to see how it reacts to a more radical smaller CFM carb. I could bring the BG along to CT or something this fall for some testing. I need to take it off and go through it anyways as it is getting some leaks and such.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2014 at 12:12am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

$78.34 - 10% for CCF dudes. Only one of my outside bulk style suppliers can still get it. It's a Sierra that is USCGA.

We're getting ready to stuff the M600 on Mark's footer.

quick question is it sierra part number 18-8114
Lakedog55
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic