NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage drop...coil or distributor related

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage drop...coil or distributor related
    Posted: June-01-2014 at 9:36pm
Hi guys,

A bit of an odd issue, not sure if its normal or not.

When the coil (MSD 8222, ballast is in place) is wired to the distributor (some EI conversion the owner did), key-on voltage at the coil, choke and ignition switch drops from 12.5V to 11V or so. Once the distributor connections are removed, voltage stays constant. If I loop in the red wire, everything is normal. The second I connect the black distributor wire to the (-) terminal on the coil and turn the key to the on position, voltage drops.

Is this normal? To me it implies resistance coming from the distributor. Could there be a short in the dizzy?

Any input or experience is appreciated.

Derek
1973 Nautique 351
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2014 at 9:49pm
Derek,
The voltage drop could be from the resistance of the coil from a internally resisted coil. Ohm out the distributor to check it's resistance. You do NOT have a short. A short is a direct shut to ground. Ohm out the contact in the ignition switch too. I have seen where the contacts get old and create resistance.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2014 at 8:29pm
Took some ohm readings today. Ignition switch is good. Secondary on the coil is 5.0 vs 4.7 spec from msd. Two interesting readings. For the primary at the coil, I can't get a consistent reading. The meter jumps all over the place, settles on 0 then jumps again. Bad coil? Ohming out the two distributor wires on the 2000 setting, I get a reading of 1200. Distributor issue?

1973 Nautique 351
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic