Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reverse with acceleration

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reverse with acceleration
    Posted: June-07-2014 at 11:50am
I just put my Mustang back in the water for the first time since major rework;: stringers, bottom coat, and new long block.
It runs great...yahoo! My only issue is that I must have reassembled the throttle incorrectly since I have engine acceleration in neutral, but when I have the pin pushed in for transmission input, I only have acceleration forward with none in reverse.
Any ideas for an easy fix would be greatly appreciated.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2014 at 5:50pm
Terry,
Yes, the assembly of the Morse controls can be tricky. Many have goofed them up. Take a look at then MV2 manual in the reference section. The MV1 is similar. Also there's a great thread on rebuilding Morse controls. Both may help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 9:11am
Thanks Peter, I will check it out.
I had it apart about 10 times. I managed to reverse the operation of the lever by putting the cable on the bottom of locking pin instead of on the top for transmission. Other than that I can't see what's going wrong. Should I be able to accelerate in reverse? It shifts into reverse it just won't let me go above idle speed is that normal?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 10:52am
You should be able to give it some throttle in reverse, with the pin in or out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 11:00am
With the pin out I get nearly full throttle in reverse. When the pin is in, I barely get more than idle.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 12:58pm
Does the lever not want to move any farther back with the pin in?

Or does it move without adding more throttle?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 1:06pm
The lever will not move any further than just a little. It's like it's designed that way. I haven't operated the boat in a couple of years and maybe it was always that way...I can't remember it though.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 2:03pm
Hopefully someone with an MV1 can speak to that.

My MV2 has the safety lockout tang, and will allow me to give it at least a little more throttle in reverse, but I haven't tested the full amount.

It's possible the limited reverse throttle for the MV1 was a safety feature. It might prevent someone bumping the lever with their elbow and accidentally pureeing their skier.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

It's possible the limited reverse throttle for the MV1 was a safety feature. It might prevent someone bumping the lever with their elbow and accidentally pureeing their skier.

No that is not correct, you can give throttle in reverse. Something is preventing it so all you can do is go back and find it. After youj do adjust per these procedures.

1. Disconnect cables at trans and carb

2. At the morse control disconnect both cables and rotate the brass pin connector so there is approx 1/8" of thread showing at the cable end. Reconnect both cables to the morse.

3.At the transmission, place the transmission bracket(the one that the cable attached to) in neutral. You may have to move it back and forth to feel exactly where neutral is but it should detent in the center of travel. Once you find a firm neutral adjust the brass pin if needed and connect your trans cable.

4. Step 4 is the magic. Go back to the morse control and with the transmission engage button in, move the throttle lever to the forward engage detent. Just move it forward and it should lock into the forward position firmly, stop when it does so. Now go to the carb, adjust the cable connector so the throttle cable smoothly attaches to the carb stud without moving the throttle. You are done.

This sequence works for me every time with NO tweaking if you do it right.

The trick is you must have the throttle in the forward (or Reverse) detent BEFORE trying to attach the cable at the carb.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 4:26pm
With the guidance of the esteemed CCF members above I am happy to say that I did not let the MV-1 get the better of me.. As it turns out, the brass cable adjuster was on the inboard side of the shifter arm instead of the outboard side and was hitting the steel plate the cable hold downs are attached to and not letting reverse fully engage preventing any throttle advance.   

Working blind on these things up under the gunwale is truly a test of patience...
Thanks again guys, your the best.

I'd rather be a groupie than a grouper.    
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 4:44pm
Awesome you found it.

Great write up from Alan as well.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 2:51am
Alan - great write up there! That is perfect and I can see how that would absolutely work to set up the throttle controls.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic