NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loading up @ low RPM?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ChowHound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChowHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loading up @ low RPM?
    Posted: June-10-2014 at 12:35am
Hey Folks...

I'm hoping for help in identifying possible culprits of the following symptoms.

Test case: 87 Nautique, 351.

Symptoms:
*(new this season) Slight trouble keeping idle on cold start.
*(new this season) Slight smell of unburnt fuel in exhaust at idle speeds
*Seems to be loading up after extended low RPM operation (putting / surfing)
*Erratic idle setting. Setting may hold for a couple days, but needs to be knocked back, or up (about the same amount) every now and then.

Runs fine at wakeboard speeds and higher. Generally runs really smooth.

I bought it last August. Replaced spark plugs last season.

I pulled distributor cap today, some wear on rotor/cap. Condenser/points look fairly new (still shiny). I didn't dig as far as the advancement weights.

I'm thinking a weak spark condition...any other thoughts?

Hopefully soon, I'll know enough to offer help instead of ask for it.

Thanks!
-Chow
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 10:01am
A complete ignition tune up is in order before you do anything. A carb rebuild wouldn't hurt either. Troubleshooting problems when a new-to-you engine is in an unknown (or known to be poor) state of tune is a total crap shoot.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 10:03am
Could be a leaky carb. After shutting down the motor, remove the air cleaner and look down the venturis. If you're getting some drops coming out of one of the boosters, you probably have a float level or needle and seat issue.

There are other possibilities too, but let's start there.

Also, this little
Thumbscrew
makes removing the flame arrester frequently, easier.
ChowHound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChowHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 11:37am
thanks for the tips!

I agree about some ignition component replacement. I'll be ordering a cap/rotor/wires today. The condenser and points are pretty recent. I also got into the advancement weights and they're in good shape, moving nicely.

I was also thinking about replacing the resistor that resides near the starter solenoid. I'm assuming it's original....would that contribute to any of my symptoms if bad?

and oh, I did a replaced the coil last year with one for SkiDim.

Thanks for the tip on diagnosing floats/seats...and just as importantly, the tip on that thumbscrew. Just last night i was remembering my 77 had a wing nut - this is even better. Thx!!!

-Chow

PS: another thing i noticed is the Tach is acting a little wonky this year. Not sure if related but, figured I'd toss it out there for consideration.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 12:03pm
Setting proper dwell and timing are also part of an ignition tune up... Don't forget that.
ChowHound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChowHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 12:09pm
i was hoping i could forget that
;)

I've never messed with dwell but I do have a timing light. I'll have to look up the stats.

thx!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic