NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

exhaust backpressure after performance mods

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust backpressure after performance mods
    Posted: June-13-2014 at 1:28pm
I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this data, but I had a difficult time finding information on it.

I did some performance modifications to my 351W. I added GT40P heads, a cam research ski boat cam and an edelbrock performer RPM intake.

I noticed that the stock gt40 motors had 3.5" risers on them. This brought up the question whether my 3" risers were restricting exhaust flow after the performance mods. I installed a backpressure pickup in the O2 bung of my riser. From there I attached a pressure gauge and watched it at full throttle.

The exhaust back pressure ranged from 2 to 3 psi. This was good news considering I don't have to spend money on less restrictive exhaust system.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 3:01pm
What 02 bung? Sure you weren't measuring cooling water pressure?
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

What 02 bung? Sure you weren't measuring cooling water pressure?

I converted my carb to fuel injection. During the conversion, I modified the riser to accept an O2 sensor. I have pictures of the O2 conversion if you can't picture what I looks like.

The O2 bung passes through the water jacket, into the exhaust chamber of the riser.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 3:33pm
I can definitely envision what would be needed. Are you planning on running that modified riser on a normal basis? Bung failure would definitely not be a "best boating moment".
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 3:59pm
I'm curious. What was it before the mods? What would you have done if it was more restrictive? Not a lot of choices with exhaust hose size with the current ones using all the room that's available.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I can definitely envision what would be needed. Are you planning on running that modified riser on a normal basis? Bung failure would definitely not be a "best boating moment".

Yes, I run a closed loop efi system. This modification has been done before. Howell efi even sells a kit for it.

mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm curious. What was it before the mods? What would you have done if it was more restrictive? Not a lot of choices with exhaust hose size with the current ones using all the room that's available.

I never checked backpressure before the mods.

I should probably mention that this boat is a ski centurion, so it has more room available with the dual exhaust set up.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 6:53pm
How is it working for you I was kicking the idea around myself. How about posting the pics of the bung installation.
Thanks
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2014 at 12:32am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

How is it working for you I was kicking the idea around myself. How about posting the pics of the bung installation.
Thanks

The Howell O2 bung kit looks easier to install than what I did. The method I used requires a lot of machine shop work and welding.

I'm very happy with the conversion. Gas consumption went down. Cold starts and warm up is a lot smoother. Throttle response is better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic