NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gt 40 cooling issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gt 40 cooling issue
    Posted: June-27-2014 at 12:38am
Boat is a 2000 Air nautique, with a gt 40 in it. At the lake this week and just got the wife comfortable pulling me. Well, this morning after a quick set on the slalom, she picks me up and she gets ready to wakeboarding, I go to start up the boat and the temp is running hot, around 190. Engine first start right away, so, but when it does the raw water colls things down to 160, 165 right away. We decide to head back to the dock. The boat runs fine for 15 minutes at 25mph and 5 minutes idling back. I pulled the raw water strainer and cleaned out some junk, mud, and small debris, then tested it by running it like you would pull a slalom skier, quick acceleration to @ 34, then stopping to pick up, and killing the engine, couldn't recreate issue so we head back out to do a little wakeboarding. Wife goes for 10 minutes and temp rises to 175 when she stops. No issue cranking it back up again. We drove back to the dock with no heat issues at all. I am concerned there is a problem running the engine under load and would appreciate any suggestions.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 5:45am
I just went through a similar issue with my 95 GT40. I did not wish to chase issues all summer so I replaced the impeller and O ring plus sealed the plate with new gaskets. Installed a new Thermostat then pulled my strainer and inspected it and the sealer ring. I used a synthetic grease on the threads of the strainer before screwing it back together, synthetic grease is supposed to be safe with the rubber gasket. Next I checked all connections of the hoses from the raw water pick up all the way, checked the trans oil cooler clamps and the clamps at the raw water pump. I can't say exactly which fixed mine but I am happy to report the temp is steady at 160 now regardless of the task.
I was able to tighten several of the clamps. You may wish to use a hair dryer to warm the hoses at each connection before tightening. A warm hose will conform better than a cold hose and you will seal it better. Any intake hose air leak will cause your raw water pump to pull air along with water and you will get heating issues, normally at lower RPM levels.
I first noticed my heating issue when the engine cut power on acceleration, I suspect the computer was warning me to check my gauges and cool off the engine. I never exceeded 190 that I know of.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 7:38am
Are you worried that your temps rise after shutting down? Because that is normal. Especially after running hard. There is no cooling water being circulated while the engine is off, remember. So long as it cools back down upon restarting, you're fine. It's not overheating while running, is it?
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 10:22am
No, it stays at 160, or 165 while running no issue with any rise in temp while underway. This goes for idle and at speed. When I shut it down after running it pretty hard then turned it back on is when I saw the temp jump. After I started it back up, the temp quickly dropped from @ 190 , maybe a little less, to 160. Wasn't sure if this was normal or if there is an issue.

I will go through the hoses this morning and check for tightness after we run it, but maybe I am chasing a ghost??? This is my first inboard, correct craft, ect, so I don't have a great handle on normal behavior. Thanks for the help.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 12:38pm
No issue at all, that's normal.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 2:01pm
Your most likely used to modern automotive gauges that don't do that and are comparing that to your boat. I don't know if their dampened or they are not much more than an idiot light. My MG water temp gauge uses a capillary tube gauge filled with either that is always "on". Without it even running you can see the tempature changes of the day,it is that sensitive.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 2:31pm
Went through all the hose clamps I could get my hands on, nothing more than a turn or two. Had the boat out this morning for a ride, temp never moved. We didn't ski, wind had the lake chopped up. Is it best to keep the boat in neutral while picking up a skier? You are right I am not used to seeing the temp fluctuations, just don't want to mess anything up. Thanks for the help.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 2:54pm
It's a good idea to check the tranny cooler for any debri that might make it past the strainer. Check the strainer of course, and it's good to note when the last time the impeller was changed, and if you have no idea, think about changing it as a matter of general maintenance.

That said, what you're seeing is totally normal and is called "heat soak." It's basically because the flow of water has stopped.

You mean keep the boat in neutral (and running) while picking up a skier? I'd say it's better to shut if off when you have people around the platform, especially any kids.

I tend to like to idle back to my skier after a hard run (instead of going back fast and cutting it all of a sudden), to give it a moment to cool. That's just personal preference though, not a necessity.
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 12:14am
Thanks for the help. Was able to ski a little this afternoon, and saw the temp move to 180 then back down after starting back up. Have another question, what is the max temp this should spike to without hurting anything?

The new impeller just got bumped up, been meaning to do, it since May. I have service records on the boat and the last impeller was changed out about 1 year ago. Not sure how many hours between the time though.

The strainer is nice and clean. Where is the transmission cooler? I would like to check that out as well.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 12:26am
Follow the raw water line from the strainer towards the engine. Mine is on port aft side of engine.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 10:30am
I have a similar issue, that's driving me crazy. My 96 Sport Nautique GT40 use to run 160 at idle or at any rpm. Now at 2500 rpm or higher it's about 165-170 and at idle will creep up to 190 fast. I'm at a loss, I have replaced the raw water impeller, checked and tighten all hoses, cleaned the transmission cooler, replaced the strainer gasket. The old impeller was not damaged so suspect there are no stray parts in the manifolds. Also since this issue developed there and allot more steam I mean allot! What's next new thermostat or just replace the whole water pump? I'm stumped on this one.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 12:37pm
When you're creeping up to 190 at idle, what does the old "put your hand on the Exhaust Riser test" tell you. Is it warm, or scalding hot?

If it's just warm, you're getting good overall waterflow and that would point towards a thermostat.

If it's closer to scalding hot, then we've got to look for some sort of flow problem. Blockage or air leak.

Also, when you were tightening everything, make sure you didn't squash your tranny cooler with the hose clamps. It's happened before.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Also, when you were tightening everything, make sure you didn't squash your tranny cooler with the hose clamps. It's happened before.

That's from prying the hose off with a screwdriver, not the hose clamp.

An impeller can last hundreds of hours if kept wet and you can fry a brand new one in less than a minute..
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

That's from prying the hose off with a screwdriver, not the hose clamp.

^^Ahhh, that makes more sense.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 12:55pm
^^^ and there is usually a nice long scratch down the middle of the dent.
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 2:26pm
Thanks for the reply. They feel hot to me(can't keep my hand on them) but I can't say I ever felt them when it was running normal. Makes me worry something is blocking the flow, seems kinda strange. I don't see how anything could get past the transmission cooler and strainer. Should I be looking at the manifold? One is original, the other replaced because a bolt broke when the gaskets where changed.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 3:11pm
Do you have one of those quick flush connections installed? Sometimes that's a source of air leak.

You're best bet is to perform the "Bucket Test." You'd get some good examples of how to do that if you google correctcraftfan bucket test.

As far as obstructions, you'd have to take each section of the cooling chain apart, hose by hose, and see if you've got anything blocking. I wouldn't suspect the manifold itself though.
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 3:32pm
No quick connect installed for flushing. I guess I need to complete the bucket test.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 3:56pm
Since this is a new issue, I'd have to say it's due to an improper winter/summerization.

However, since there has been someone monkeying with the exhaust do verify the gasket is on proper. Water flowing to the underside of the riser should be blocked by the gasket. This forces cooling up to the top of the riser. There is really only 1 manifold, it doesn't know which way is forwards. There water outlets on both sides so it can be installed on either side of the engine. This makes gasket orientation key. The tab on the gasket should match the tab on the riser. It won't make a difference on your temperature gauge, but you will have a warm riser and excessive steam, possibly leading to a hose failure. Our Martinique was kindly delivered this way...

*Don't ask me why there is a water inlet on underside of the riser. It could be a 2 piece core in the casting process, which would simplify the amount and orientation of them in the mold. Or there could be other applications with increased water flow that utilize all sides.
wheels06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheels06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 1:10am
I am having the same issue. I have a 96 Sport Nautique, replaced the impeller last year, no water leaks that I can see and when I'm running at 10mph the engine cools right down. At an idle(once the engine is warmed up) it starts heading to 190 quickly. Goes back down as soon as I hit the throttle. I checked the strainer, it was clean. I pulled a hose on top while it was running and it was pumping, although I thought it should be a little more than it was.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 9:29am
John, did the problem exist before you changed the impeller?
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 12:35pm
Okay I did the bucket test it takes about a min to pump a 5 gallon bucket full of water. I also connected longer hose to the raw water pump intake to take water directly from the bucket to bypass the strainer and potential clogs. The result was the same draws very little water still warms up to 190 at idle.

Can someone tell me if the pump is installed correctly. I have never switched the direction but it doesn't look correct after all the images I've seen.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 12:43pm
Did it ever cool correctly with the pump oriented that way?

That is one potential mistake that can be made. That pump is designed to work with a lefty or a right hand rotation motor, but the pump is turned depending on what you have. The little set screw, is the indicator.

Did you install that skinny O gasket on the pump when you replaced the impeller? Are you using a PCM or Sherwood Impeller, or are you using an off brand like Sierra?
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 12:49pm
Yes it use to cool fine, the previous owner did replace the pump before I purchased it about 4 years ago. There is a Sherwood tag on the the pump. I put in a PCM Impeller and new gasket when I replaced it. I don't see any water leaks around the pump. The whole seems odd to me, I thought if the pump was in wrong there would be no water and overheat at all RPMs.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 1:00pm
So, when did the overheating start, place the following in the correct order, sorry if these seems like a silly exercise, just trying to get my head around it:

-Pump was replaced by previous owner

-You bought the boat

-Exhaust manifold replaced (probably not relevant but just in case)

-You replaced the impeller

-You noticed the overheat
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 1:11pm
The pump is correct for your engine. The hoses should be tucked close to the block for Left hand rotation. It would overheat immediately if it was on backwards.
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 1:13pm
Timeline in the correct order.

-Pump was replaced by previous owner

-You bought the boat

-Exhaust manifold replaced (probably not relevant but just in case)

-You noticed the overheat - I noticed the excessive steam too

-You replaced the impeller
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 2:41pm
Your leak may be the intake hose itself. A crack or tear, any leak path that will allow air to suck in rather than water.
Can you try the bucket test with a new hose? Sometimes these hoses are as old as the boat and they crack.
The only way I can think of to test the hose would be to pressurize it.
Plug one end and clamp a garden hose in the other end and turn on the water. If properly sealed you should see no leaks from garden hose pressure.
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 2:56pm
I wish it was that simple as a hose! I used another hose I had the same diameter for the bucket test that is new.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 3:30pm
Given the order of events maybe the manifold, or some hose or fitting associated with it, is in fact relevant.

I would remove the hose going to your new manifold, but not on the manifold side, on the t-stat side. Now, try to blow through the hose, so your blowing through the coolant passage in the manifold. I have to admit, I've never done this, so I don't know how much resistance to expect. But, I'd think you'd know if there's excessive back pressure.

All of the water eventually needs to escape through the exhaust manfifolds, so if it can't escape for some reason, everything is going to overheat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic