Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pipe on carb fell off! How to reattach?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
petteralexanderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petteralexanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pipe on carb fell off! How to reattach?
    Posted: July-20-2014 at 5:18am
Hi all,

I have a 1994 SN with the carbed 5.8 pro boss HO engine. Today I decided to replace all the fuel hoses, which was straightforward just until I got to the last one - the hose netween the fuel pump and the carburettor.

When I pulled the old hose to remove it from the carb, I got it in my hand, but unfortunately also the small pipe (appx 1.5 inch tall) that is attached to the carb, on which the fule whose is attached.

Now, it seems the pipe are pressed in place, with no splines, thread or anything.

My question is simply - how to reattach it, to be absolutely sure it does not pop out again, with a fuel leakage as direct concequence? Press it in place? Use some sealant?

BR

Petter Alexanderson, Sweden
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 7:43am
Petter,
Somethings not correct. The line from the fuel pump to the carb should be hard tubing and not rubber. A picture. would be great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petteralexanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 7:49am
Thanks for quick answer! Sorry cant get pic in a few days - the boat is stored for the week, will get back next weekend :-(

However you are correct. The rubber hose is attached to a hard tube, about two inches long, which was attached to the carb. This tube popped out of its place when I pulled the rubber hose.

Hope this helps, or I will make a hand sketch. :-)

Br

Petter
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 9:17am
Petter,
I have a feeling that the carb was changed at one time and then the installer did a poor job of hooking it up. Over her the USCG requires hard tubing or a fancy rubber line rated for the high pressure side of the fuel pump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petteralexanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 9:36am
Hi, I think its actually fitted from original - we have exactly the same fitting on our SN 1992. Question is how to get the pipe/tube back in the hole in the carb housing, and make it stay there!

BR

Petter
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 9:47am
It does not sound original. There should not be a soft hose between the pump and carb in an original set up, it would have been hard line. It should not mistakenly "pop off".

Get us some pictures.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 10:11am
Hard fuel line should look like the one in this pic. This is a 4010 Holley. You may have a 4160, but the line should be a hard metal line like the one in this pic.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 10:27am
I did a write-up on re-attaching a fuel line here. Maybe the pics would at least help to describe what you are seeing:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27143

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petteralexanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 10:54am
Very impressed! Thanks for your advice. I will post pics as soon as I can get to the boat again. Will also check how it looks on yet another Swedish SN that I know of.

Talk soon.

BR

Petter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petteralexanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 5:32pm
Ok, some more info.

Checked the engine manual and concluded 1) its a holley carburetor on a PCM Ford engine and 2) the configuration with a rubber hose from fuel pump to carburetor fuel inlet is the original fitting.

However, getting it back and get no leakage is still my worry. Will add pics as my brother provides them this night.

Edit: heres a link to an identical carb like the one on my engine, apparently a 4160 Holley. You can see the fuel inlet (just like mine) just below the flame arrestor:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=57470&stc=1&d=1272402744

BR

Petter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petteralexanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 6:49pm
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 8:35pm
I can't see the pic, but if I had to guess that's the hose that handles the flow if the fuel pump fails. In other word, it's not the supply line, but it's a fail safe protection.

The rubber hose just presses onto that protrusion from the carb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petteralexanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 8:48pm
Ok, thanks I will check the system once more when I get to the boat. Great with your advice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petteralexanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 7:28am
Hi again, here's some pics to illustrate my issue.

The rubber hose I'm replacing is the black one with green text.

BR

Petter

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 7:40am
That "nipple" might be part of the carb body itself.

That hose is not supplying fuel under normal conditions, but with that piece broken it would have a vacuum leak.

Maybe it can be JB welded back?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petteralexanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 8:49am
Yep the nipple/tube is pressed into the carb body. Now when I know its not the main hipressure fuel inlet, then I probably be happy with adding loctite fuelproof sealant to the tube and then reattach.

Thanks for helping!

Btw it looks like a Holley 4160, do you agree?

Best regards,

Petter
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 9:17am
Oh yeah the "pump failure" line! Funny how we all automatically thought a hack jacked the fuel supply line to a hose. That's usually a clear thin tubing. Fancy fuel rated braid is not necessary but by all means works just cost a few $ more. Under normal circumstances that line never has fuel in it. Just press the nipple back in, jb weld if you want. I have often seen the line worked into the mesh on the flame arrester which bites into the line well because older carbs don't have that nipple. Does look like a 4160, def not a 4010.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petteralexanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 9:33am
Yeah, I will save you some effort and post pics from start nxt time. :-) And I learned a lot on the thread - I assumed that the hose from pump to carb was main fuel line, which it wasnt apparently.

Thanks, happy boating!

/Petter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic