Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lean Condition - Reman 351w + Holley 4160

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lean Condition - Reman 351w + Holley 4160
    Posted: May-11-2015 at 10:05am
Background:

As I mentioned on page 2 of my '79 Ski Tique resto-mod thread I recently installed a remanufactured long block in my Tique. We got through the initial break-in fairly well, but had a hard time getting it to run below 1800 rpm and it was running very lean. After some investigation we found a pretty large vacuum leak at the base gasket.

Since then I have swapped the gaskets & fixed the vacuum leak.

Results from my 2nd test:
Motor starts with 1-2 pumps of the handle (warm or cold)
Readjusted timing to 6 deg @ 1000 rpm (close as I could get to 600)
Starting fluid test on intake & carb spacer / gaskets = Pass
Motor will run down to 1000 rpm unless throttle is bumped at which point it will only return to 1200-1300 rpm, backing off the idle screw more will just kill the motor
Plugs still show very lean condition.

For reference here's a picture of the plugs from the orignal motor. They're a little bit better, however they are still pretty lean IMO.

Since the carb was rebuilt and installed on the original motor (yielding the 4 plugs shown above) and still shows a lean condition on the new motor I'm suspect of the carb. I'm thinking of re-rebuilidng the carb to double check everything is operating properly.

Let me know what you think.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 10:31am
I don't think you can accurately assess rich vs lean by inspecting the plugs in this manner with today's gas. You would need to run a controlled test and then plug chop so you can measure the size of the soot ring at the base of the insulator. Are there any driveability issues that would lead you to believe you're actually lean?

I would set the timing to 10-12 initial, and verify you don't exceed 36 final- and that it's all in by 3k rpm or so. That will give better performance than 6 initial.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 10:43am
Lean tip-offs :
Occasional backfire if I jump on the throttle too quickly (could also be timing related)
2 pumps to start the engine, whether it's hot or cold.

I'm taking it to my engine guy this afternoon, I'll have to give the 10-12 deg time a shot.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 10:51am
1. I'm willing to bet is a timing issue.
2. Sounds like your idle adjustment needs some tweaking

I assume you've verified that the carb does not leak through the boosters at idle or after shutdown? Some people think their engine needs throttle pumping to start because it needs more fuel... When in actuality it's flooded and benefits from the extra air (in which case holding the throttle open is more advantageous than pumping it repeatedly).
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 10:56am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I don't think you can accurately assess rich vs lean by inspecting the plugs in this manner with today's gas. You would need to run a controlled test and then plug chop so you can measure the size of the soot ring at the base of the insulator. Are there any driveability issues that would lead you to believe you're actually lean?

I would set the timing to 10-12 initial, and verify you don't exceed 36 final- and that it's all in by 3k rpm or so. That will give better performance than 6 initial.

+1
As for the plugs, I think they look fine. Unless you've been experiencing a lean POP, lean isn't your problem. Sounds like you haven't been able to run it long enough or hard enough to verify that you have a lean condition.

6 degrees advance at 1000RPM is way too low. At 600RPM that 6 degrees would probably be 4 or even lower. You're setting the initial timing lower at 1000 RPM then it should be set at 600RPM. Increase the timing like Tim says.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 11:06am
Originally posted by LeftFieldEngineering LeftFieldEngineering wrote:

Lean tip-offs :
Occasional backfire if I jump on the throttle too quickly (could also be timing related)
2 pumps to start the engine, whether it's hot or cold.

I'm taking it to my engine guy this afternoon, I'll have to give the 10-12 deg time a shot.

Backfires and lean a POP are two completely different things. Backfires are caused by spark at the wrong time. Hense, timing issues or crossed plug wires.
Until you can get the right timing at the right RPM, pumping the throttle for starting is not a good cause/effect indicator of the true problem.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 11:39am
Great info.

Let's chat about this leaking from boosters. I did in fact have leaking boosters about a month ago. They would leak 15-30 seconds after shut down and drip constantly while running. I rebuild the carb, adjusted the floats and got it to stop dripping after shutdown.

When you say they should not drip at idle; is that based on a 600 rpm idle with the throttle plates closed running on the idle circuit? Would they drip if it were running on the main circuit above 1000 rpm? I do get dripping above 1000 rpm.

Let's be honest, it’s a poorly maintained 30+ year old carb that was rebuilt by a 4bbl rookie; I’d say there’s a pretty good chance it’s still a carb problem.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 12:05pm

Yes, they will drip at 1000 rpm, when the system is compromised, its then running off the transition slots that pulls fuel from the mains and the air bleed will perk fuel up the the booster and drip.

Set timing as Tim sez,

I think you could still have a vacuum leak, and/or the idle fuel circuit is boogared up, hense the inability to set clean, strong idle at 600.

I agree the plugs look right and not indicative of other issues.

Are you use the base gaskets from the rebuild kit (troublesome) or a nice Felpro base gasket?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 12:07pm
Listen to Tom, he's a Holley God.

Better yet, find a way to bribe him into taking a look in person, you guys aren't far apart.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 12:14pm
Tom just steered me right last week saying too low timing could be causing my pop/backfire on take off. Moved it up from about 8 to 10ish. Accelerates great now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 1:02pm
Hit-list for this afternoon:
- I'm suspect of the timing / ignition as a whole so I'm going to pull the distro and reset it for my own assurance.
- Chase down every plug wire and double check their destination
- Reset the timing to 10-12 at 1k rpm
- Have my engine guy clean & double check (and hopefully fix) my work on the carb

While it's apart I'll see if he has other gaskets, I was using the supplied Holley gasket between riser and intake, and a mr. gasket aftermarket (only thing available locally) for the carb to spacer.

If that doesn't work I'd be happy to beg, plead and bribe anyone who's willing to stop over and help.

At this point I'm into it for 5k and I've used it for all of 2 hours. $2500 bucks an hour is not impressing the missus by any means. Any more bad news and I'll be sleeping in it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 1:09pm
Be sure to set the timing properly once you get your idle down to 700. 10-12 at 1000 might be a good first step but it's still not the end goal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 1:11pm
Roger
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 1:49pm
Andy, how was the shape of the carb internals when you rebuilt it? Was it pitted at all from fuel sitting in it? I've seen the metering plates have tiney corrosion on the face side but the inside be a lot more corroded than they seem. That will definately be giving you some problems with adjustment.
Also as mentioned above, there is no substitute for a good gasket kit, I like the blue foam gaskets wayyy better than those older style paper ones. They can be taken off and reused in a pinch too they are a good quality.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 2:03pm
For all the carbs I've taken apart over the past 15 years this one was on the cleaner side. No pitting, hardly any varnish, heck there wasn't even that much staining in the bowls. All the parts got dipped in the chem-dip carb cleaner, rinsed with water, blown out with the air hose then brake cleaned. I though I flushed every passage way, but I can't say for sure I got everything.

I have the blue gaskets in the carb, just not on the base/spacer/intake.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 2:05pm
ok thats good, yeah the blue gaskets for the plates and bowls is what i was referring to.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 2:50pm

Hit-list for this afternoon:
....While it's apart I'll see if he has other gaskets, I was using the supplied Holley gasket between riser and intake, and a mr. gasket aftermarket (only thing available locally) for the carb ....

I believe two of these is what you need:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0054B
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 3:10pm

At this point I'm into it for 5k and I've used it for all of 2 hours. $2500 bucks an hour is not impressing the missus by any means. Any more bad news and I'll be sleeping in it.

Hey! We must've bought the same boat! I'm putting my sleeping bag in it tonight.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 3:38pm
Good call on the proximity Tim, and thanks for the kind words

Indeed, if your in a bind and we can't sort this online, a visit to help you get it straightened out is not inplausible
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 9:15am
After resetting the distributor & verifying all the plug wires we fired the motor up again. It would run at 1k rpm and dripped fuel from the primary boosters. When we adjusted the idle speed below 1k rpm it would slow the dripping (I assume trying to run off the idle circuit) and die. The next step was to pull the primary bowl and metering block to double check the passages / blow everything out again with cleaner. After verifying all the passages were clean we reassembled the carb and fired it back up. This time it was only dripping from the starboard booster. After some more experimentation we found that by partial covering the outermost starboard air bleed with a screwdriver it would run PERFECTLY FINE. So well in fact we were able to get it to idle at 600 RPM for proper timing and even got it to idle down to 500 rpm and stay there. If you completely cover the hole it has piss-poor throttle response and uncovered it will die.

Do I think it’s still fixable?   Yes. However I don’t want to wait any longer. I’m 10+ months into this build and with temperatures in the upper 80’s this week I want to be on the water finishing the boat shakedown not taking the carb off the the 30th time.   

To do this I picked up a re-man Holley, new base gaskets (the good ones), and a new flexible fuel line for $370. Once swapped out I plan on giving my current carb to my engine guy to tinker with. Even if we fix my current carb having a spare on the shelf for less than 280 bucks puts my mind at ease.

As for the existing carb if anyone has any ideas what would be causing this single booster leak / idle condition I'd still like to experiment and find the problem / solution.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 7:27pm

and a new flexible fuel line for $370.

Is it USCG approved?
Good luck with getting the boat back out on the lake. You always hate to miss nice 80 degree temps.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 8:11pm
I sure hope so, bought it from skidim. Flexible Fuel Line
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 9:01pm

I sure hope so, bought it from skidim. Flexible Fuel Line

Andy,
You're the first person I know of to pop for that high priced piece of rubber. Most will go for a section of pre flared steel brake line. Yup it is cool with the USCG.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 9:46pm
You need to pay closer attention Pete... We have the previous version of flex uscg line that SkiDIM used to carry on our BFN. Hard lines work grea on stock builds as they're much cheaper. Flex lines are nice for taller intakes and varying intake/spacer/carb set ups.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 9:54pm
I know Zach was talking about them,I'm sure he sold a few.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 10:04pm
Since I've pulled the carb a dozen times in the past month I've probably lost more than 76 bucks in gas & shop towels letting it piss all over ever time I've pulled the flare to check something. Fool me once carburetor. On top of that the hard line from skidim is back-ordered till the end of the week.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 12:11am
I'd say the rubber flex line is a good investment. I believe Zach said the flex line will work with Quick Fuel carbs as well, if you ever decided to go the non Holley route.

My hard line can take a bit of fussing to thread into the carb fitting, it seems like the flexible line would probably make that a little easier too.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 10:19am
This is true Brian. Just sold one yesterday to a MC guy browsing the CCF.com forum installing a QF on his Indmar 351. I wish the small block line was a little shorter but the big block one is 100% perfect even for a slightly taller intake.

Anywho, I really want to play around with a QF here soon and I may be working a deal with a local supplier to get smokin deals on QF so I can pass savings along to you dudes.

I want to toy around with one but we will have to see what money lets me do as it runs just fine at the moment the carb just looks like poop.

Also, if you try everything my money is on a vacuum leak if you cant get it to idle below 1000 rpms. Problem with the Holley is they didn't allow enough extra fuel in the idle circuits to let you compensate for slight vacuum leaks or leaks from throttle shaft wear.
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 2:18pm

After some more experimentation we found that by partial covering the outermost starboard air bleed with a screwdriver it would run PERFECTLY FINE. So well in fact we were able to get it to idle at 600 RPM for proper timing and even got it to idle down to 500 rpm and stay there. If you completely cover the hole it has piss-poor throttle response and uncovered it will die.

Analogy first:
An air bleed is like a small pin hole in drinking straw. If you plug the pin hole with your finger, you get a nice big gulp of soda. If you remove your finger, less soda transfers from the glass to your mouth (assuming you’re not sucking harder).

Carburetors use these air bleeds to emulsify or add air to the fuel (lean out the mixture). They also make the fuel delivery less sensitive to changing manifold vacuum.

If you are idling and plugged the low speed air bleed (idle circuit air bleed), the air fuel mixture would get richer.

Here's the confusing part

You plugged the high speed air bleed (not the idle circuit air bleed). I would of expected no changes until higher RPM’s (when the high speed circuit is active). Did you plug the bleed marked 1 or 2?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 4:37pm
We half covered #1.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic