Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Possible Starter/electrical issue, ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Starter/electrical issue, ?
    Posted: September-06-2015 at 2:04pm
hey all,

Took the old nautique for its maiden voyage under my ownership, loved every minute of it.
A few small issues that will be amended over time.

But I have a small concern and something that I need to get fixed in the next 2 weeks before a boating trip.

I have the mercruiser chev 350 powering my nautique which apparently was engine of choice for cc's export market.
I have just bought a new battery 657c in our terms, 496cca and 70ah
The Old battery voltage was dropping to about 6v on turning over.
Unfortunately the starter still seems to labour a bit on starting with the new battery and the voltage is dropping to about 10/10.5v while cranking which to me seems a bit low.
I tightened the starter connections and battery terminals(replaced the battery terminals too) and checked and cleaned the contacts for the plugs., any other tips?

Can these starter motors be refurbished/repaired by standard auto electrical places?
Marine specific guys that are experienced with inboard are far and few between where I live.

Thanks in advance, any help will be appreciated.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2015 at 3:23pm
Yes they can. Might want to mention it's marine and it's rotation if in case they have to change parts. Basically they might change bearings,cut the commutator and replace the brushes and check / replace the starter bendix
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2015 at 3:25pm
Thanks for the quick response Gary

Here's hoping it's straight forward. So happy to finally have my nautique, now just need to iron out the little issues
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2015 at 8:09am

first trip out
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 7:15am
So I got a guy out today to check out the starting issues,

Murpheys law it all started fine, I didn't prime it I didn't put the choke on, merely turned it over to show the guy how it laboured, Damn engine starts right up like it was brand new. (I checked with a VOM its still pulling the voltage down from 12.5 to around 10.5)

Now this brings me to another issue. Intermittent starting. How can it start perfectly now but other times it keeps turning over and over trying to fire up. What can I look at, fuel? carb? I really dont have a clue now. This happens regardless of whether it is hot or cold.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 7:50am
Graeme,
Do expect the voltage drop when cranking. I suggest going through all your connections from the battery to the starter again making sure they are clean and not just tight. How are the battery cables? It wouldn't hurt to put a new set on and a larger wire gauge. They are undersized from the factory. Gary's idea of pulling the starter and checking it is sound. New bushings, brushes and a commutator clean up can do wonders. Checking the starter armature can be done but take it to a shop that has a "growler".Start relays can be a source of voltage drop when their contacts get old and pitted. You could Ohm the contacts by removing the starter cable, and engaging the relay. It should be close to 0 Ohms. Last, when you got the new battery, hopefully it's a starting and not a deep cycle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 8:40am
yes went for a starting battery.

I did replace battery terminals too, but I have been considering replacing battery cables.

and eventually a full rewire, unrelated to some extent the wiring is a mess under the dash

plan is to go away end of this month for a long weekend, see how things go, after that I think I will pull the starter regardless and get it serviced to put my mind at ease
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic