NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High oil pressure problem?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
smac76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smac76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High oil pressure problem?
    Posted: September-08-2016 at 10:02pm
The oil pressure gauge for the PCM 351 in my 76 SN says my engine is running with 70-80 lbs of oil pressure. This seems high to me.

Got my 76 out on the water for a weekend of running it and trying to become intimately associated with the boat (only had it a month and this was the first chance to get it out on some water). Have had a chance to go through the basics while in my driveway which included new plugs/wire/cap, new raw water pump, oil change, exhaust tubes, battery and connections, and wired a new bilge pump along with some other miscellaneous items I came across while delving into my new toy.

From all the info I gleen from you guys, I feel that the OP should be somewhere around 30 when cruising, up from 10-15 when at idle. Feedback?

It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2016 at 10:19pm
Scott,
Get a mechanical gauge T'd in next to the oil pressure sender to confirm the actual pressure. If it's still high, then I'd say the oil pressure bypass may be stuck. What weight oil are you running?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
smac76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smac76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2016 at 10:55pm
Due to a lack of time I had a local shop do the oil change when I had the water pump replaced, so I don't know what weight he used. I assume it's a the recommended weight but I can't confirm. I'll have to check the invoice. In the meantime, I'll follow your recommendation about the stuck switch.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2016 at 11:48pm
Have you checked the dipstick? I'm sure you have, but you never know.   
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2016 at 6:41am
Originally posted by smac76 smac76 wrote:

In the meantime, I'll follow your recommendation about the stuck switch.

Scott,
The pressure bypass is not a switch as in something electrical and not related to the gauge. It's a spring loaded mechanical valve. Get the gauge T'd in and report back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2016 at 9:20am
Maybe it has a HV pump? Does the pressure drop at all once the engine warms up?
smac76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smac76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2016 at 7:31pm
I didn't really notice a fluctuation in pressure, it seemed to stay high all day long when in use wether it was warmed up or cold.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2016 at 8:02pm
Scott,
You say the pressure stays the same engine hot or cold but what about with the ignition key turned on and the engine not running? I know the boat is pretty new to you but did the PO give you much history on it like engine work or gauge or sender replacement? Remove the wire off the oil pressure sender and tell us what happens.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2016 at 8:18pm
I would call the PO & ask him about it. Not to complain, but to find out what he might have done.    Maybe he installed the wrong sender.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2016 at 12:19am
If it is a high pressure pump or had very tight clearance on the Rods and Mains this could be normal. No problem as long as it does not blow your oil filter off.
Mark
smac76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smac76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 12:19am
I'm not ignoring you guys, I just haven't been up to the lake for a couple weeks to go over the boat. I'll check back with an update when I head back up in a couple weeks. Thanks for all the suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic