Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Rotation and Rear Main Leak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Big Fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Rotation and Rear Main Leak
    Posted: June-25-2017 at 12:14pm
I have situation I’ve noted in several posts that discusses engine rotation and a leaking rear mail seal. I think I understand some of the information but could use some help in confirming my understanding and filling in the gaps.

I bought the boat as a rehab project and needed to finish the hook up of the engine (acknowledging a big mistake here given my skill level!). The engine was rebuilt by the prior owner, actually he had a shop do the rebuild.   I’m not 100% sure if the original engine was rebuilt but I’m pretty sure it.   The owner reversed the rotation of the engine in an 82 SN 2001. My understanding is that this year was a reverse rotation (rotates left when facing the front of the engine looking aft). It now rotates right or clockwise.    We got the engine running and it did well for the first few hours but then started leaking oil out the rear main.    (Disclaimer: I am a novice here but have paid and unpaid skilled help in the project). The engine is very strong so I’m assuming the seal was installed incorrectly and/or has the wrong seal installed. Assuming the seal issue could be corrected, a real wild card in this is if it has grooves in the crankshaft or seal and if these are facing the wrong direction.   My understanding from the information is that the grooves may be on the crankshaft or seal depending on the year of the engine. Is this correct?

I know that this will become more clear once I get into the engine and start actually seeing what is there. I’m planning this work for July so want to make sure my understanding is correct before starting. I’m assuming the crankshaft was replaced on the rebuild so I’m not sure what is actually there. If there are groves in the crank, how do I know they are going in the correct direction? I saw in another post the grooves should be in the opposite direction of the engine rotation. Sound correct?
Another issue is what type of seal to use, one piece or two. Will this be dictated by the year of the engine?   I can’t find any markings on the engine to indicate a serial number or year. Any suggestions where to look on the block? Is there a “universal-type” seal that will work?   My understanding is that the seal is dependent on the rotation of the engine though and one versus 2 piece is based on the year of manufacture. Correct? Also, from what I have read, the 1 piece seal can be replaced with the engine in the boat and is much easier than replace the two piece seal which requires removing the engine and dropping the crank. Does this sound accurate?

The engine has a high pressure oil pump pushing 60-70 psi, I’m assuming that this would add to the stress on the seal?

The engine is very powerful and appears to be a good rebuild other than this “minor” issue.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I will need to follow up once I get into the engine and see what is actually there.

Thank you!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 1:46pm
I think your understanding is pretty good.

An 82 originally would have had the grooved (sometimes called wick lines or helix lines) crankshaft and a 2 piece rear main seal.

If this engine was rebuilt as a normal rotation engine without doing anything to the crank or replacing it with a normal rotation crank, that's why you would have the leak

I guess you really wont know what you have till you start taking things apart though.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 2:17pm
Here's a picture from a previous thread/post on CCF showing what the Reverse Rotation wick lines look like.

Normal would be just the opposite slant

If you take the starter off and read the numbers in the block, you can figure out what year it was cast Ford went to the 1 piece seal in 1983

Big Fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 11:42pm
Thanks for sharing the information, this is very helpful.   So, provided the block is an 82 and if the rebuild was correct (in reversing the rotation), the crank should have been replaced and the helix lines should be going the opposite direction as in the photo. If it still has the reverse rotation crank and the engine is normal rotation, this problem of leaking out the rear main will never go away. Is it possible that the crank could have been replaced with one that doesn't have the helix lines? Sounds like the newer models have the wicking lines in the seal versus the crank. Not sure if this is possible and what the outcome would be.    

Thanks again.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 12:19am
I'd say your first 2 statements are correct and ................as far as the third one about the possibility of machining out the wick lines, it's possible but then if you wanted a one piece seal some pretty involved machine work is involved so I'd guess that wasn't done.

Gary S is bound to show up and explain his speedi sleeve solution and the specifics involved
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic