Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard warm engine start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard warm engine start
    Posted: July-29-2018 at 3:53pm
I have a 1993 196 which I am in the process of restoration. (Hole in the water in which all your time and money go). 351 engine with much over 298 hours (meter wasn't working when i bought the boat). Previous owner had rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the fuel lines,
new starter, and a few other small repairs. The engine starts easily when cold with little or no prompting from me. Once the engine gets to temp, and you shut it down, it's a chore to start again. I need to give it lots of gas in neutral to get it started, and then runs rough until it gets back up to speed. I am wondering if my fuel pump is starting to fail,
Any advice for my tired old boat would be helpful.
TWSS
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 4:09pm
Greg,
I'd say there's a good chance the engine is flooding especially since you mentioned you need to give it lots of gas to restart. I'm assuming you are opening up the throttle which allows more air to the engine overcoming the extra fuel. Next time, shut down the engine and look down the throat of the carb and see if you can see any fuel dripping. How long ago did the PO rebuild the carb? If recent and you do see dripping, I'd have to say the PO didn't do the best with the rebuild.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 4:23pm
Thanks for the help. next time we are out I'll check for dripping. The PO mentioned that a race car mechanic did the rebuild two seasons ago. I'm tempted to just bolt a new holly on top of the old gal and be done. Seems i fix one thing and another issue just pops up. She's definitely kept me busy.
TWSS
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 10:37am
Could you recommend a good shop that rebuilds Holly carbs. I would attempt this but I've heard this is an "art form". Should I just go with a brand new one, since mine is an original, 25 year old Holly?

Thanks, Gregg
TWSS
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 11:19am
There is a guy on the Mastercraft FB page that is the "Carb Guy". Been rebuilding carbs for over 30 years. Uses an ultrasonic cleaner. Quick turn around time too. I will PM his personal information to you. He did my carb a few years back and did a fantastic job.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 12:00pm
One thing to keep in mind is that you could put a new or rebuilt carburetor on the engine and have the same problem if you have junk in the fuel system that makes it's way right to the new carburetor.

What do you have for filters between the tank and the carburetor?

I look for Pete's drips after a hot shutdown, you might see them right away but watch for a few minutes.

I'd do some reading here on CCF and find a Holley manual for some more reading and you might decide to tackle a clean/rebuild yourself.

You'd need the right rebuild kit that might come to 40 bucks or so.plus a new gasket to go between the spacer plate and the intake manifold.

It's not exactly an art form

Kinda like getting that fish sandwich at McDonald's or learning how to fish
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 11:11am
OK, tested Pete's dripping issue this morning. (Sorry for the analogy here) but the carb isn't dripping but the vac line from the fuel pump is pouring gas into the top of the carb. I'm assuming this means a new fuel pump?

Gregg
TWSS
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 11:16am
Gregg,
It's not a vacuum line It's there as a visual indicator of when the fuel pump diaphragm is ruptured. Yes, a new pump is needed. Sounds like there's your flooding problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 1:11pm
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 1:45pm
Would have been easier to diagnose if the line hadn't turned a nice opaque amber due to its age. Thanks again for the advice.

Gregg
TWSS
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 1:51pm
BTW, I too refinished an old plywood boat when I was in high school. 1967 Century Ski Dart. Had a 302 Ford interceptor engine. Bought it for 500$ with a tandem trailer. At the time it didn't run/ or float. Many many hours went into that old boat. Sold it so I could buy a car in college. I don't miss the wooden hull.
TWSS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic